My favorite Dishonored world detail: All of the women wear pants

#1 Posted by ztiworoh (729 posts) -

I'm only 1/3 or so into the game, but something I found interesting is that none of the female characters wear dresses. I thought it was a kind of weird world-building detail that also likely made development easier (I'd imagine pants are easier to animate than long dresses, as would have been the fashion in Victorian times).

#2 Posted by abara (218 posts) -

but are their faces clean?

#3 Posted by believer258 (11060 posts) -

Actually, skin-tight pants are far more acceptable on women so they probably are pretty easy to animate, whereas dresses have constantly moving and much more obvious ripples.

This is just a guess, I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I don't see how pants would be harder to animate than dresses.

#4 Posted by TruthTellah (7684 posts) -

@believer258: Isn't that what he meant? He ventured the guess that they might have just been easier to animate.

#5 Posted by wewantsthering (1460 posts) -

Interesting. I was looking through various screenshots I took during the game and I can't think of even one character who had a dress. There are events in the game that would make you think they would wear a dress, but I didn't see any even at this events. BTW: How do you know you're 1/3 through? Haha.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11060 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@believer258: Isn't that what he meant? He ventured the guess that they might have just been easier to animate.

I thought he said dresses were easier. His wording is kind of funny, but I misread it. Oops.

#7 Posted by ztiworoh (729 posts) -

@wewantsthering: Just a guess based on how long I've read it is vs how long I've played.

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (7684 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@TruthTellah said:

@believer258: Isn't that what he meant? He ventured the guess that they might have just been easier to animate.

I thought he said dresses were easier. His wording is kind of funny, but I misread it. Oops.

Yeah, it did sound a bit odd, but I'm glad you got his point when you rechecked it. :)

It definitely could be something having to do with their animations and the infinite possibilities kind of gameplay involved. Plus, it does make a cool little world detail.

#9 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

I think it looks pretty cool and it suits the overall style really well. Although surely their must be at least one dress in the game? I haven't really been paying attention for dresses.

#10 Posted by MoonlightMoth (447 posts) -

They need to get Spicy Horse on the phone.

#11 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4289 posts) -

I don't get it - does society have a problem with dresses now?

#12 Posted by dudeglove (7273 posts) -
#13 Posted by MyElbowsFellOff (18 posts) -

Interesting. I didn't even notice this. The world is quite novel, I was more distracted by other things.... like the woman wearing a mask that looks like a dead baby.

#14 Posted by Mowgers (374 posts) -

Yeah, its definitely interesting, especially since your standard steampunk trends toward corsets and bustle skirts and otherwise impractical clothing (I'm aware Dishonored isn't standard Steampunk, feels more like China Mieville's Bas Lag setting to me). Of all the development choices I'd like to lift the curtain on in that game I really want to know whether lady pants were a stylistic idea motivated by tech limitations or whether it's something they wanted to pursue for its own sake.

#15 Posted by Aetheldod (3344 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: It seems like it , I think :/ i..... im confused about these matters D:

#16 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2074 posts) -

In a world where theres infected people shambling around, killer rats spreading a plague, and guards enforcing a very strict curfew, I doubt any women care about wearing dresses.

There is one part in the game where they would wear them, but otherwise I see no reason why they would.

#17 Posted by Twinsun (462 posts) -

I personally love women in dresses, but I can see how in the fiction it makes sense that they would all wear pants. Never really thought about until now actually. Fun little detail.

#18 Posted by rolanthas (239 posts) -

@MyElbowsFellOff said:

Interesting. I didn't even notice this. The world is quite novel, I was more distracted by other things.... like the woman wearing a mask that looks like a dead baby.

Almost every mask in that party was unexpected and creepy. But yeah, dead baby face takes the cake.

#19 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

I would wear a kilt or a skirt all the time but people would give me dirty looks. Seems way more comfortable.

#20 Posted by AndrewB (7198 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I would wear a kilt or a skirt all the time but people would give me dirty looks. Seems way more comfortable.

This, to the point where I've looked into getting an actual kilt, but holy hell can they run on the expensive side if you're not willing to settle for garbage. Maybe I should just look into the skirts.

#21 Edited by Tennmuerti (7726 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Brodehouse said:

I would wear a kilt or a skirt all the time but people would give me dirty looks. Seems way more comfortable.

This, to the point where I've looked into getting an actual kilt, but holy hell can they run on the expensive side if you're not willing to settle for garbage. Maybe I should just look into the skirts.

Imo kilt/skirt is going too far it would be too breezy. Loose shorts commando style are the perfect middle ground.

Unless want to wear underwear under that kilt. Which would be totally fucking crazy. Why wear a kilt at that point!

#22 Posted by AndrewB (7198 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

Imo kilt/skirt is going too far it would be too breezy. Loose shorts commando style are the perfect middle ground.

Unless want to wear underwear under that kilt. Which would be totally fucking crazy. Why wear a kilt at that point!

No way man. The crotch on those pants/shorts is too restrictive, even if baggy. I'll endure breezes.

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -
@Tennmuerti

@AndrewB said:

@Brodehouse said:

I would wear a kilt or a skirt all the time but people would give me dirty looks. Seems way more comfortable.

This, to the point where I've looked into getting an actual kilt, but holy hell can they run on the expensive side if you're not willing to settle for garbage. Maybe I should just look into the skirts.

Imo kilt/skirt is going too far it would be too breezy. Loose shorts commando style are the perfect middle ground.

Unless want to wear underwear under that kilt. Which would be totally fucking crazy. Why wear a kilt at that point!

For the same reason girls wear panties or bike shorts under skirts..!
#24 Edited by Tennmuerti (7726 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Tennmuerti

@AndrewB said:

@Brodehouse said:

I would wear a kilt or a skirt all the time but people would give me dirty looks. Seems way more comfortable.

This, to the point where I've looked into getting an actual kilt, but holy hell can they run on the expensive side if you're not willing to settle for garbage. Maybe I should just look into the skirts.

Imo kilt/skirt is going too far it would be too breezy. Loose shorts commando style are the perfect middle ground.

Unless want to wear underwear under that kilt. Which would be totally fucking crazy. Why wear a kilt at that point!

For the same reason girls wear panties or bike shorts under skirts..!

It was more of a question why a kilt instead of shorts then, not why underwear under it.

So you want to wear a kilt to look sexy?

Ok I can understand. :D

#25 Posted by AndrewB (7198 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

It was more of a question why a kilt instead of shorts then, not why underwear under it.

So you want to wear a kilt to look sexy?

Ok I can understand. :)

To look and *feel* sexy. Also, that big piece of interior fabric.

#26 Posted by handlas (2552 posts) -

I just like the detail of putting on and removing the mask every time you go on a mission.

#27 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -
@handlas: yet somehow you can still use the mask's zoom ability in the hound pits :P
#28 Posted by ShaggE (5996 posts) -

I like the surprising lack of goggles, personally. I love steampunk, but it's awesome that they didn't fully restrict themselves to the aesthetic. No dirigibles, either.

#29 Posted by BBQBram (2165 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

@handlas: yet somehow you can still use the mask's zoom ability in the hound pits :P

Oh shit hadn't noticed that.

#30 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

I don't get it - does society have a problem with dresses now?

Dresses are sexist now.

@AndrewB said:

@Brodehouse said:

I would wear a kilt or a skirt all the time but people would give me dirty looks. Seems way more comfortable.

This, to the point where I've looked into getting an actual kilt, but holy hell can they run on the expensive side if you're not willing to settle for garbage. Maybe I should just look into the skirts.

The real question is, would you wear underwear with a kilt or go the traditional Scottish way?

#31 Posted by EXTomar (4129 posts) -

Huh. This is one of those "I can unseen it once you realize it" things.

#32 Posted by AndrewB (7198 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@AndrewB said:

@Brodehouse said:

I would wear a kilt or a skirt all the time but people would give me dirty looks. Seems way more comfortable.

This, to the point where I've looked into getting an actual kilt, but holy hell can they run on the expensive side if you're not willing to settle for garbage. Maybe I should just look into the skirts.

The real question is, would you wear underwear with a kilt or go the traditional Scottish way?

Do you really want to know?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.