Question about the story (story spoilers)

#1 Posted by klinkcow (255 posts) -

(story spoilers)

Hey guys. I am about 8 hours in and I still can't quite figure out one key plot device: Is the empress that was murdered in the opening Corvo's wife? Meaning that the girl is your daughter? I realize she has a crayon drawing of someone on your desk that says Daddy, but it also says this is you without a mask.

So that IS his daughter right? or did I misinterpret something?

#2 Posted by niko555 (124 posts) -

For me it seemed like he was just the bodyguard. But the little girl says att one point "You were more than a bodyguard for my mother" so im guessing its implied they had some relationship.

But i dont think the girl is her daughter.

#3 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -

The game never says anything either way about Corvo and the Empress's relationship, but Corvo is like a father to Emily, even if not biologically he basically raised her, so i wouldn't read too much into that.

#4 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

It's implied that you were sleeping with the empress, but it's not implied that you're the girl's father.

#5 Posted by klinkcow (255 posts) -

Ok, I just finished it... it explicitly implies that you were her mother at one point. Can anyone else weigh in?

#6 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

@klinkcow said:

Ok, I just finished it... it explicitly implies that you were her mother at one point. Can anyone else weigh in?

You mean father, unless you make a sex change during the game.

From the wiki:

It is speculated amongst some citizens of Dunwall, including Admiral Havelock and, indirectly, Treavor Pendleton, that Corvo Attano is her [Emily's] father.

Accompanying this, it is speculated in Farley Havelock's journal that Emily Kaldwin may be Corvo's daughter. Similarly, Treavor Pendleton states that "everyone knows [he was] fucking the Empress."

In contrast, if Corvo's chaos is low, Emily will draw a picture of him without his mask, with the word "daddy" on it.

"When you are near my heart is at peace... Hurry home Corvo." - Jessamine Kaldwin

So I guess you were both her bodyguard and her lover.

#7 Edited by Nardak (583 posts) -

Think it is also quite telling that in the "low chaos" ending Emily buries you besides the Empress.

Probably wouldnt happen if Corvo wasnt the actual father of Emily.

Here is the youtube video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Vqs-0tbYQ

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.