What's the big deal about Dishonored? Everyone given koolaid?

• 82 results
#1 Edited by Deathstriker (307 posts) -

Full spoilers ahead

I was rooting for the game since it's a new IP and they're kind of an underdog, but this felt like a half-baked early (maybe mid) generation game... almost like a well done HL2 mod with Bioshock/Skyrim gameplay. Even if I don't like a game myself I can still (usually) see why it gets praise (i.e. COD, Borderlands, etc) but did reviewers/fans give this such praise simply because it's the "shiny new toy"? I don't care about graphics that much and I did like the art style and sometimes the lighting, but a lot of the textures were atrocious.

The story is pretty much save the princess, which has been around since Mario. The plot twist was obvious... the leaders of the resistance looked and sometimes acted like villains, not to mention, the heart warns you about them if you choose to let her talk. Going the silent protagonist route felt lazy and unneeded. The gameplay is fine I have no huge complaints there other than sword combat felt weird so I relied on stealth, projectiles, and wind blast to avoid the awkward melee combat. I preferred it in Skyrim, which isn't saying much since that isn't Skyrim's strong-suit.

It's not an awful game at all, but I'm curious why some people love/like it so much; it felt very very mediocre to me. I haven't listened to the site's GOTY stuff yet, but I hope it doesn't make it in the top 10, since there were definitely more deserving games, at least IMO.

#2 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

#3 Edited by mordukai (7126 posts) -

I think the game got the attention It got because of the great art style and the fun gameplay. As a great fan of stealth I have to admit that they they made stealth very accessible without making too tacky. Also the powers are so diverse that you really have the option to play the game as you please. If you wanted to play it full stealth to full on action then the option was yours. I will fully agree that the story was rather weak to the point where I was listeninge to podcasts while playing it.

#4 Posted by Deathstriker (307 posts) -

@mordukai said:

I think the game got the attention It got because of the great art style and the fun gameplay. As a great fan of stealth I have to admit that they they made stealth very acacia lie without making too tacky. Also the powers are so diverse that you really have the option to play the game as you please. If you wanted to play it full stealth to full on action then the option was yours. I will fully agree that the story was rather weak to the point where I was listeninge to podcasts while playing it.

I get what you're saying, but it's not like choosing stealth or action is anything new; between Hitman, Splinter Cell, and MGS after 3, that option has been around since last gen.

#5 Posted by Bistromath (583 posts) -
#6 Posted by mordukai (7126 posts) -

All this games you mention never really blended stealth and action very well. Until recently. Even MSG 4 I'd not get action very well and the best way to play it is still stealth. Don't forget the difference is that all the game you mentioned are third person while dishonored if first person which changes the entire way you approach the game. Mentioned to me games that get melee on fps and I promise up you both of the games arcane made will be on it. It also helped that the gameplay was so smooth and so much fun. Also a new major ip this far into the console cycle will get major attention no matter what.

#7 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

I hated it

#8 Posted by Fearbeard (823 posts) -

Gameplay

It has a learning curve but once you get past that, it's amazingly satisying.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11564 posts) -
The gameplay is fine I have no huge complaints there other than sword combat felt weird so I relied on stealth, projectiles, and wind blast to avoid the awkward melee combat.

And since when has gameplay alone not been enough to make a game fantastic? Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros., Deus Ex, Just Cause 2, Super Mario 64, Doom - all great games, all rely almost solely on gameplay.

I've only just now dug into this game but thus far it seems very, very well designed and plays pretty well. I'm pretty sure the game means for you to rely heavily on stealth anyway - you shouldn't be making a loud ruckus all over the place.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

What's the deal with this useless hate thread?

#11 Posted by Deathstriker (307 posts) -

@believer258 said:

The gameplay is fine I have no huge complaints there other than sword combat felt weird so I relied on stealth, projectiles, and wind blast to avoid the awkward melee combat.

And since when has gameplay alone not been enough to make a game fantastic? Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros., Deus Ex, Just Cause 2, Super Mario 64, Doom - all great games, all rely almost solely on gameplay.

I've only just now dug into this game but thus far it seems very, very well designed and plays pretty well. I'm pretty sure the game means for you to rely heavily on stealth anyway - you shouldn't be making a loud ruckus all over the place.

I never said I thought the gameplay was great... just serviceable. Games are more than just their gameplay; if they weren't then GTA, MGS, and Skyrim wouldn't be so huge, because they don't play all that great, it's either their world, story, and/or characters that make them so special. The devs and even the game itself in the menus says you can either stealth your way through it or kill everyone, it's up to you, but the combat isn't really good enough to rely on melee, especially if there's over four guys. Between a nonexistent story, plain gamplay, and interesting but badly textured art-style/graphics, I think it's very overrated, but it's good that you're having fun. I had more fun being stealthy in Far Cry 3 than here.

#12 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

I agree, no other game this year has been more since mario.

#13 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Doom having great gameplay is a bit of a reach.... It was probably new for a lot of people when it launched but great??? I guess my standards are too high.

That aside I don't think the OP considers the gameplay "fantastic". The fact that I didn't buy or play Dishonored after learning what there was to learn about the game kind says maybe the OP has a point, because the reason I didn't buy is I saw nothing new. If all a game is going to do is try to refine XYZ gameplay to be a little better than it was previously then there better be another reason beyond just gameplay to purchase it. Hence why I haven't bought a CoD game in years, of course that does make me the odd dude out...

#14 Edited by believer258 (11564 posts) -

@Deathstriker said:

@believer258 said:

I never said I thought the gameplay was great... just serviceable. Games are more than just their gameplay; if they weren't then GTA, MGS, and Skyrim wouldn't be so huge, because they don't play all that great, it's either their world, story, and/or characters that make them so special. The devs and even the game itself in the menus says you can either stealth your way through it or kill everyone, it's up to you, but the combat isn't really good enough to rely on melee, especially if there's over four guys. Between a nonexistent story, plain gamplay, and interesting but badly textured art-style/graphics, I think it's very overrated, but it's good that you're having fun. I had more fun being stealthy in Far Cry 3 than here.

I disagree on the blanket statement that "just gameplay" can't make something special and on the same level as those games you mentioned. On the subject of Dishonored, I've just completed the first real level and I found it all to be fantastic, even when I did get into melee combat. I wouldn't say that it's the most original game of its kind, but I can easily see why a certain crowd would love it.

At the end of the day, though, this just comes down to a difference of opinion. Some people didn't like this game, others really enjoyed it. So what if it makes someone else's GOTY list?

@Karkarov said:

@believer258 said:

Doom having great gameplay is a bit of a reach.... It was probably new for a lot of people when it launched but great??? I guess my standards are too high.

That aside I don't think the OP considers the gameplay "fantastic". The fact that I didn't buy or play Dishonored after learning what there was to learn about the game kind says maybe the OP has a point, because the reason I didn't buy is I saw nothing new. If all a game is going to do is try to refine XYZ gameplay to be a little better than it was previously then there better be another reason beyond just gameplay to purchase it. Hence why I haven't bought a CoD game in years, of course that does make me the odd dude out...

I only really got into Doom early this year and I think its gameplay holds up very, very well as far as sheer gory fun goes. Just from first impressions, I don't think Dishonored tries to refine XYZ gameplay as much as it takes those concepts and tries to add some new things into the mix, particularly magic powers. Besides, a game that's a very good refinement of a genre is a better game than an original idea that doesn't pan out very well as far as I'm concerned.

#15 Posted by stryker1121 (1326 posts) -

I just finished the game the other night and ended up feeling a bit lukewarm on it. I think it's because I tried to stealth through the game and I'm just plain bad at stealthing through games in general. I tried to do the no kill thing too, so when I inevitably got caught, I'd just run around until I could find a proper hiding place. Made me feel like a pretty lame assassin and diminished my enjoyment of the experience.

#16 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@JZ said:

I hated it

Sounds like Ryan discussing THPSHD.

"So, I played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD. I HATE IT! I hate it!"

#17 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

I wasn't super impressed by it. It just never clicked for me. I never had to use possession or basically any of the powers other than blink and time warp so it felt like a lot of wasted potential and it just got stale. The story didn't really pull me in either.

#18 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

I personally love it because you get to play the game the way you think it should be beaten. A friend could beat the game the way s/he thinks it should be beaten and you'll see that it's completely different than the way you did it. It's all about choices, there aren't many games that aren't linear anymore, it's sad. However, when you get something as open with so many different paths to take like Dishonored, it's always an amazing experience. That's why Deus Ex is considered by many to be the single greatest game of all time. You can play it any way you want and you will still be successful. Those kinds of games never get old and unfortunately, come few and far between. It was nice to get a game like that this year in Dishonored.

As for rest of it, yeah, story was kind of meh but I pick gameplay over story 99 times out of 100. Gameplay was awesome, don't know why you'd think it was just serviceable unless you're not a fan of the genre which is fine but that's really no reason to hate on a game. Graphics, eh, I never cared about graphics, I still play games that are 15 years old on a regular basis. I'll play games like Half-Life 2 and be blown away by how good those graphics are knowing fully well that there are games that make Half-Life 2 look like shit.

#19 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1377 posts) -

I thought it was pretty damn fun. Definitely more so when you went the violent approach, since the ending makes the non-violent route feel deflated.

#20 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

I thought it was awesome and the kool aid was delicious, it was the squeeze ones in the plastic bottles, none of that powder shit get the fuck out with that nonsense.

#21 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

It's bad and everyone that likes it is stupid.

#22 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

@JZ: No, how do you really feel?

#23 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

I'm sure that was clear enough

#24 Posted by tread311 (352 posts) -

It's like, I played it, and during the process of playing it I enjoyed myself. Huh. Must be the Koolaid though.

#25 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

I didn't like it. I agree with Vinny. It just didn't "click" with me and when a new game don't "click" with me, I will probably never play it.

#26 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

Its a very very good game and if people like it so be it, I expect some people to have RE6 in their top ten at some point and that game is dog shit apparently. I really enjoyed the first half but the game dragged on a bit and just felt rushed. Good game but both some praise and hate it gets is undeserving

#27 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11420 posts) -

It's my favorite Deus Ex-esque game since the original Deus Ex, and I'd go beyond that and say that it's even better than Human Revolution. I think the blink teleport is probably what does it for me. Being able to zip around the environment like that makes both the sneaking and murdering components of the game a lot more fun.

#28 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I loved dishonored, I wrote a whole blog about it if you want the specifics, but all in all it just had great gameplay, atmosphere, interesting characters and the whole world seems so interesting. Also, the changes you have in the story depending on how you play is pretty awesome. Gives it alot of replayability.

#29 Posted by Muttinus_Rump (814 posts) -

I loved it. Invested all my points into making myself as mobile and silent as possible, and tried to go mostly non-lethal. Once you get the hang of the controls (and use the see through walls power - very important) that game makes you feel like such a badass.

#30 Edited by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

While I agree that the game is not all that great, I can see why people like it as much as they do. The AI was psychic and able to see through walls in my game, which totally ruins any stealth game no matter how good the gameplay is. If you wanted to stealth through the game there wasn't many options in the first mission(post-prologue).Either you killed most of the guards or you go in one specific path which is hardly a choice. I didn't experiment past the first mission cause I got tired of the game punishing me for trying to do new things. Not to mention the games lack of information to the players. How far do guards see, what counts as an alert, how many lightning bolts count as alert, and several other questions. Then there's the god awful load times on 360(even with it installed). All of this added up to me really disliking the game. This is my opinion and other people are in their right to have their own.

#31 Posted by Marz (5642 posts) -

yeah story isn't great but i thought the setting, the actual mechanics worked pretty well.  It's not as good as Deus Ex but it's an allright game.

#32 Posted by DeathByWaffle (628 posts) -

I thought it was a pretty good game, but I wasn't amazed by it. I felt there weren't enough combat options for the nonlethal approach, and the whole last level of the game is pretty garbage and a terrible letdown story-wise.

#33 Posted by Deathstriker (307 posts) -

@FrankieSpankie said:

I personally love it because you get to play the game the way you think it should be beaten. A friend could beat the game the way s/he thinks it should be beaten and you'll see that it's completely different than the way you did it. It's all about choices, there aren't many games that aren't linear anymore, it's sad. However, when you get something as open with so many different paths to take like Dishonored, it's always an amazing experience. That's why Deus Ex is considered by many to be the single greatest game of all time. You can play it any way you want and you will still be successful. Those kinds of games never get old and unfortunately, come few and far between. It was nice to get a game like that this year in Dishonored.

As for rest of it, yeah, story was kind of meh but I pick gameplay over story 99 times out of 100. Gameplay was awesome, don't know why you'd think it was just serviceable unless you're not a fan of the genre which is fine but that's really no reason to hate on a game. Graphics, eh, I never cared about graphics, I still play games that are 15 years old on a regular basis. I'll play games like Half-Life 2 and be blown away by how good those graphics are knowing fully well that there are games that make Half-Life 2 look like shit.

I thought the gameplay was sub-par because it's basically teleport on rooftops, slit throats, oh shit they saw me... time to shoot and use wind blast then stab them while they're down. The melee combat didn't work for me at all; Skyrim does it better. There was really no point in certain powers like bend time. The AI is so dumb, the enemy count is low, and the level design is so simplistic that the answer 90% of the time to remain undetected is to climb/teleport up. You'd really only use bend time or possession just for the sake of using them, not because you're trying to outsmart the game/enemy. Even if you are seen, it's usually about 2 to 5 guys per area, which are very easy to take care of; the only threat are tall-boys, which are rarely used.

As far as choice goes, Hitman has way more and does it better. I can't comment on the latest one, I'm talking about past games.This felt like an okay "attempt" at a first game and I'd like to see a second... assuming they beef up the AI, combat, writing, have a real main character, etc.They completely wasted their money on using a celebrity voice cast, since everyone sounded generic, including Slattery who I like a lot from Mad Men and didn't know he or any other celeb was in the game until after I beat it.

#34 Posted by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

@TheVeteran13 said:

I thought it was awesome and the kool aid was delicious, it was the squeeze ones in the plastic bottles, none of that powder shit get the fuck out with that nonsense.

I was going to follow you for this comment, but when I went to press the button, I found I was already following you. This does not come as a surprise to me.

#35 Posted by John1912 (1812 posts) -

Yea, I was not impressed with the game at all. The COMPLETE lack of story, character, and world development just ruined it for me. The game presented itself at a level where there was such great promise of all of those things. It actually got to the point where Im asking myself WTF is this BS? Nothing in this game has any depth to it, its just shoved in there to move the plot and setting. The gameplay was....Solid, but no where near good enough to carry the game imo.

#36 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

Dishonored is a game for me that I completed out of sheer respect for it's aesthetic. It was basically a fanciful Half Life where you played as a ninja. Part of the fervor for that game seems centered around a desire to see Zenimax do new & interesting things.

#37 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I love Dishonored. The fun for me was in the strategy of how I want to approach the level/situation. They gave enough leeway to let me feel like I'm deciding the path I'm going to take. Towards the end of the game I was able to almost just go and do stuff without thinking. Kind of like that Jason Bourne fight scene style.

#38 Posted by mordukai (7126 posts) -

@JZ said:

I hated it

That's ok. So do most of us here...LOL

I kid I kid.

Frankly I never understood that sentiment. Did the game came to your house and raped you mom and peed on your dad to make you actively hate it?

#39 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

Doom had some nice maze design, and to some extent going through encounters was a bit of a rhythm game and puzzle in terms of fitting between openings in the incoming fire. Shooting guns was a manifestation of the gameplay, but at its best it was more than that.

On the Dishonored thing, I think a lot of the conversation sort of blithely accepts that Deus Ex was a stealth centric game that did not leave a huge amount of RPG system mediated violence (and why the Invisible War was interpreted as being such a departure vs. HR). A lot of the positive feedback on how open dishonored is seems to assume that the player will be more focused on stealth rather than how stat points impact what the character can do. And the story implicitly and consistently indicates that stealth and mercy are the highest achievement, and the more straight forward mechanics are not all that interesting to exercise.

Its actually on a fair number of GOTY and most disappointing lists this year - but that part is consistent with most of the "AAA" releases of late. Its been a very personal and somewhat unforgiving year in terms of how these games are judged now (e.g. expectations on story, voice acting, art work, technical quality, etc). Though I guess that is appropriate considering the cost side of the equation.

#40 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -
@JZ
It's bad and everyone that likes it is stupid.
What a well reasoned argument.
#41 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

@Deathstriker: I'm pretty much with you on this. I liked the game for sure, but it was missing that mysterious X factor for me. Hard to explain but when it was over the summation of the game for me was just "that was pretty cool" which is a let down for a game that should have had a more meaningful resolution. Again, I can't really put it into words, and it's subjective of course, but it was missing that "thing" that makes some games really special.

As for the gameplay, I thought it was good but nowhere near the experience everyone was talking about. I think it tried to do so much that instead of being the fastest or most fluid game, or the most brutal and heavy feeling game, it kind of just got stuck in between.

#42 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

I can't believe I read all that.

#43 Posted by Deathstriker (307 posts) -

@dennisthemennis said:

@Deathstriker: I'm pretty much with you on this. I liked the game for sure, but it was missing that mysterious X factor for me. Hard to explain but when it was over the summation of the game for me was just "that was pretty cool" which is a let down for a game that should have had a more meaningful resolution. Again, I can't really put it into words, and it's subjective of course, but it was missing that "thing" that makes some games really special.

As for the gameplay, I thought it was good but nowhere near the experience everyone was talking about. I think it tried to do so much that instead of being the fastest or most fluid game, or the most brutal and heavy feeling game, it kind of just got stuck in between.

For me, it's the same problem I had with the first Darksiders... the mechanics work just fine for the most part, but since it was just a collection of other games (Zelda, GOW, Portal, etc) it lacked heart and personality, so I didn't care about it at all. Dishonored is the same way, it's just HL2, Hitman, The Darkness, Bioshock, and other games thrown together. Like the case with Darksiders 2, hopefully the devs get it right the second time.

#44 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

The powers here are original in a stealth context, and as I think the quick look pointed out, some of the mechanics (particularly blink) avoid some of the typical problems of stealth gameplay in ways that are new and innovative. As for the melee, I don't find it bad at all. The idea that Skyrim's melee is somehow better than what we get in Dishonored seems ludicrous to me. But to each their own.

I've only played through the first real mission so far, and I'm already very impressed with the openness of the levels, the number of different approaches, the variety of optional objectives, and the obviously carefully designed environments. I'm not quite feeling the story (although I have to say I don't think the choice of having a silent protagonist is "lazy"). But it's still early. I don't have high hopes on that score. Nevertheless, I'm very much enjoying the atmosphere and art design.

I don't see it being my game of the year, but it's definitely looking to be in my top ten, unless everything comes apart later in the game. Having been mildly disappointed with Deus Ex: Human Revolution (mostly because my expectations were so high), I'm finding this game both more open and more accessible. It definitely has that same feel that the original Assassin's Creed had--that is, that not all of the game's systems feel fully matured yet. But as far as being an initial release in a new IP, I think it's definitely on the right track.

#45 Posted by Deathstriker (307 posts) -

@haggis said:

The powers here are original in a stealth context, and as I think the quick look pointed out, some of the mechanics (particularly blink) avoid some of the typical problems of stealth gameplay in ways that are new and innovative. As for the melee, I don't find it bad at all. The idea that Skyrim's melee is somehow better than what we get in Dishonored seems ludicrous to me. But to each their own.

I've only played through the first real mission so far, and I'm already very impressed with the openness of the levels, the number of different approaches, the variety of optional objectives, and the obviously carefully designed environments. I'm not quite feeling the story (although I have to say I don't think the choice of having a silent protagonist is "lazy"). But it's still early. I don't have high hopes on that score. Nevertheless, I'm very much enjoying the atmosphere and art design.

I don't see it being my game of the year, but it's definitely looking to be in my top ten, unless everything comes apart later in the game. Having been mildly disappointed with Deus Ex: Human Revolution (mostly because my expectations were so high), I'm finding this game both more open and more accessible. It definitely has that same feel that the original Assassin's Creed had--that is, that not all of the game's systems feel fully matured yet. But as far as being an initial release in a new IP, I think it's definitely on the right track.

How isn't Skyrim's melee combat better? It feels more visceral, has weight, good interaction with who you're fighting, and other positive attributes that at least make it work. Here, all I did with the sword is block when I had to and slit throats. Getting into sword fights felt like I was hitting someone with a broom before they eventually fell down. I don't think the level design is THAT smart, since you can usually just teleport up and can stay hidden. Splinter Cell levels feel more thought out than the ones here.

In general, someone who's played only one level of a game can't really give their opinion on the entire product... that's like someone watching one football game and giving their opinion on the entire NFL. I was optimistic after the game's first level/assassination area, but really, it boils down to the assassination areas being kinda cool (although easy and repetitive) with everything in-between being very bland. With no awesome story, characters, or gameplay, I think it's missing the carrot to put on its stick or anything to make it special. "Choice" isn't that thing, since Hitman does that better.

#46 Posted by Demoskinos (14520 posts) -

One of the things I loved the most about the game was the ending or well at least assuming they make the low chaos ending which I got the cannon ending. It shows Emily restoring the land to greatness with Corvo at her side. And eventually shows that Corvo protected her until the day he died. What is great is that there are NO loose ends other than the Outsider stuff which was very intentionaly kept vague. Yet, if they ever want to do a sequel there is that entire period of the time line between the end of Dishonored and when Corvo dies so many stories about Corvo can be told in the future if they so should choose to do that but at the same time unlike some series that over promise sequels from the start they wrapped up the story entirely.

#47 Posted by me3639 (1711 posts) -
@McGhee
That's just  the gift that keeps on giving and giving the whole year round.

#48 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

Koolaid is fucking great guys.

#49 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1526 posts) -

gameplay+art ... mostly gameplay though. The story is so-so, thats the part they can really eleborate on in part 2 ...

#50 Posted by C0V3RT (1337 posts) -

Dishonored is my my pile of games that I seemed to be lukewarm towards/actively dislike that everyone seems to love.

• Dishonored. Competent
  • Asura's Wrath. Hot garbage
  • Binary Domain. Forgettable
  • Sound Shapes. I liked maybe two of the albums?
  • Mark of the NInja. Didn't do anything for me

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.