Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy Hits Japan In Spring 2011

• 66 results
Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Japanese publication Shonen Jump has revealed that your favorite cadre of JRPG heroes and villains will once again be exchanging blows on the PSP this Spring. Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy, Square Enix's sequel to last year’s unconventional portable fighting game, will once again feature a swath of Final Fantasy protagonists and antagonists from throughout the franchise’s history competing for non-canononical glory and power.

While Siliconera reports that new game modes, features, and details haven't yet been revealed for the sequel, Square Enix  has shown off two of the new characters making their PSP debut in Dissidia Duodecim: the lancer Kain from Final Fantasy IV, and Lightning, the main protagonist from Final Fantasy XIII. Expect a grip of returning characters (you don't make a Final Fantasy fighting game without putting Cloud in it, right?), as well as new Final Fantasy characters to make their way back into the ring. 

I'm putting all my money on playable Quina for this game. Your time is now, blue magic toad girl!

Dissidia Duodecim will once again be infecting Japan in Spring of 2011. American fans are advised to get their shots before the game (eventually) gets transferred to the US. Probably via some kind of bird flu. It’s always a bird flu.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Japanese publication Shonen Jump has revealed that your favorite cadre of JRPG heroes and villains will once again be exchanging blows on the PSP this Spring. Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy, Square Enix's sequel to last year’s unconventional portable fighting game, will once again feature a swath of Final Fantasy protagonists and antagonists from throughout the franchise’s history competing for non-canononical glory and power.

While Siliconera reports that new game modes, features, and details haven't yet been revealed for the sequel, Square Enix  has shown off two of the new characters making their PSP debut in Dissidia Duodecim: the lancer Kain from Final Fantasy IV, and Lightning, the main protagonist from Final Fantasy XIII. Expect a grip of returning characters (you don't make a Final Fantasy fighting game without putting Cloud in it, right?), as well as new Final Fantasy characters to make their way back into the ring. 

I'm putting all my money on playable Quina for this game. Your time is now, blue magic toad girl!

Dissidia Duodecim will once again be infecting Japan in Spring of 2011. American fans are advised to get their shots before the game (eventually) gets transferred to the US. Probably via some kind of bird flu. It’s always a bird flu.
#2 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

FF :D

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7574 posts) -

I'm so over Final Fantasy... 

#4 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

The 1st one is by far the best fighter ive played on a handheld, so this one has alot to live up to.

#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...surpringly this isn't the International Version of Dissidia, I can only imagine what the International Version of    Dissidia Duodecim: Final Fantasy will be called.

#6 Posted by gannon16 (79 posts) -

I hope Zack will be in it.

#7 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

I DO WHAT I WANT. 

Bitches.

#8 Posted by JesseCherry (65 posts) -

I loved the first game. I thought it had a slow start, but once I figured it out I had a blast. Really good game and fun versus. STOAKED

#9 Posted by XenoNick (1480 posts) -

Awsome.  Loved the first one.

#10 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

I will actually buy a Dissidia game when they put Balthier in there. Like gah, imo the best character they've ever crafted and he isn't in their crossover fighting game. Huge shame.

#11 Posted by Pop (2648 posts) -

Kessler the JRPG fan :D. The first Dissidia FF is much older than last year it came out in japan in december of 2008.

#12 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -

Good. I hate Final Fantasy but the demo of the first game got me hooked enough to buy it. I like Final Fantasy: Tenkaichi

#13 Posted by oliveshark (52 posts) -

Queena! Now they must add a frog catching mini game.

#14 Posted by Ronin147 (78 posts) -

They could easily do a ton of character off of texture swaps and afew different moves, seifer off of squall, Zack off of Cloud
#15 Posted by popokarimu (18 posts) -

Awesome, hopefully they'll put Ramza and Delita in.

#16 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

DD: FF

I like it

#17 Edited by Chris2KLee (2337 posts) -

Sabin from FF6 please.

#18 Posted by gla55jAw (2693 posts) -

He/she Kessler, he/she.

#19 Posted by Beforet (2931 posts) -

...Quina isn't a girl.

#20 Posted by EliminatoR (237 posts) -

I really liked Dissidia,I'm gonna keep my eyes on this.
#21 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

IS Quina a girl?

#22 Edited by SunKing (686 posts) -

Hah! With that screenshot, I had my money on a Kessler post. :)

#23 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -

Gonna have to punish you for giving Quina a gender, Matt.

#24 Edited by gla55jAw (2693 posts) -
@I_smell said:

" IS Quina a girl? "

S/he as per Final Fantasy IX.
#25 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

Ramza please!!

#26 Posted by Sabembermoff (4 posts) -

I'm excited to see how this one will be.  I enjoyed the first one and am looking forward to playing as new characters

#27 Posted by CactusWolf (539 posts) -

Duodecim sounds kind of dumb. They could have picked a better number.

#28 Posted by DXmagma (317 posts) -

vivi. vivi and auron. and this game comes to ps3.

#29 Posted by Walreese55 (508 posts) -

Why can't they just call this Dissidia Twelve

#30 Posted by TimothyWessel (84 posts) -

So, do we get Locke or Edgar this time? Tools ftw!

#31 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

This thread has a really high view/post rate. Just sayin'.

#32 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

the first dissida went bad for me so I never intend on buying this ever!

#33 Posted by Jazz (2294 posts) -

Can't say that I feel the need for any more Dissidia. Ever.

#34 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@FunExplosions: You mean posts to views? That happens when a significant amount of people are viewing it from the news page. Views there don't count toward forum views, but comments do count.
#35 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's all making sense now. I'm just happy to have posted 2 needless comments.
#36 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Quina isn't a girl or a guy. Quina is an it, a shim, is both and neither at once. Quina is fun for everyone. 

And this game better include every fucking version of Cid, Biggs, and Wedge.

#37 Posted by wonderhare (350 posts) -

Auron and Balthier and Vincent. I want those three to interact so bad.

#38 Edited by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Goddammit Squeenix, I can't pronounce this shit. Just call it Dissidia II.

#39 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I just hope that they shove more FF6 characters in, even though I'm not gonna play it. (I don't own a PSP.)

#40 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

...Why duodecim? That doesn't make any sense.

God dammit, Square.

Well, here's to hoping for playable Vivi.

#41 Posted by Tuffty (55 posts) -

Quina is the ultimate androgynous FF character (even though it is an....it)

Personally, I think an obvious choice would be Tifa. There's not many female characters in the roster in the first game, she's one of the iconic female characters in the series, and her close quarters style of fighting can diversify the roster up a bit from being another sword or magic user. If she's not in it then I expect Sabin from FFVI or Zell from FFVIII to take on that martial arts kind of role.

Seifer from FFVIII seems too easy to include. Like they could just rework the character skin off Squall and be done with it. Same with Edea and Ultimecia. If Seifer is included, then I would imagine they'll attempt to make his use of the gunblade different from Squall e.g. favouring power over speed.

#42 Posted by RecSpec (3912 posts) -

Dissidia was the first game where I played a JP version using a translation guide.

Never again....I think...dammit

#43 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1666 posts) -

Auron or bust.

#44 Posted by Xanth93 (485 posts) -

I've only played the demo to the first one, and I'm not surprised a sequel is on its way. Doesn't affect my life at all.

#45 Posted by Xeiphyer (5608 posts) -
@wonderhare said:
" Auron and Balthier and Vincent. I want those three to interact so bad. "
Heck yeah
#46 Posted by LordKorax (278 posts) -

That title is way too close to "Duodenum" for me to take it seriously.

#47 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12006 posts) -

I think we found a winner! A Final Fantasy game with a more anachronistic and meaningless title than Dirge of Cerberus.

#48 Posted by Seroth (726 posts) -

Barret or bust. Final Fantasy needs more black people. So throw in Sazh, too.

#49 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5381 posts) -

That name is the best part of the game.

#50 Posted by Banjo_ace (118 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater: bitter nerd much

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.