Character Strategies

#1 Posted by Jnal (240 posts) -

Which characters do you play as and what are your strategies going into a match?

#2 Edited by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

I play Kung Pao. A fantastic strategy I use is to get to the far corner your opponent starts on early game and drop a portal. Build meter then at the start of a round hit your air special and take them by surprise. It won't work forever but people rage when I do it currently.

Portal placement is key.

#3 Edited by DystopiaX (5361 posts) -

I play Kick pretty much exclusively, if only because I haven't checked out any of the other characters yet really. My default strategy is to keep full screen while building up meter as fast as possible, then unleashing kick factor and basically just playing reactively to how my opponent is playing.

Can't figure out Baz though, I lose to a Baz player every time, badly.

edit- just played as Baz having never played him before and frauded 2 people in a row and won the 3rd match 5-2. Of the opinion he's OP, or at least he's the type of character that you need to know how to play against. I just feel like there's a fairly large window of time at some points in the match where if you get the positioning right there's nothing the opponent can do.

#4 Posted by chrisphil1724 (64 posts) -

Baz is nuts, I was going to main him but I feel he's too OP. I find you have to rush him drop and you can not let him kick-factor. Oddly Kung Pao worked well for me.

#5 Edited by RyokuSonic (11 posts) -

@dystopiax:

Yea, I guess we both have the same playstyle with kick. I don't start building up meter until I see the opponent's first attack, after that the kick button gets mashed to oblivion. (Can't risk this against a stream player though.)

The trick to beating a baz player is to wait until he does his first kick, once you're able to dodge that dive and kick him if he's near you or if you think there is too much space away from him and you back away and focus on gaining meter before his next attack. I've seen some baz players just go directly for charging kick factor, so I took the opportunity to do the same while I slowly advanced to them in a good position to trigger kick factor or use new angle.

Which reminds me, has anyone found a safe and non, round risking use for party starter?

#6 Edited by smackifilia (73 posts) -

Which reminds me, has anyone found a safe and non, round risking use for party starter?

I haven't been able to put party starter into any use yet either. I don't play Kick as my favorite or anything, but the one time I tried to put party starter to use on S-Kill, I think, it had no effect.

#7 Posted by mosespippy (4466 posts) -

Anybody know how to beat Uncle Sensei with Mr. N? I was playing a guy this morning and we did about 12 matches. At first we were trading wins as we figured out the match ups but in the end he won the final 4 and nearly fraud detected me twice. Then I hopped into a ranked game and had the same match up and ended up almost getting fraud detected again. No matter what I tried it seems like Mr. N can't beat Uncle Sensei.

#8 Posted by Mezmero (2076 posts) -

I'm just curious is Uncle Sensei immune to headshots while in hand stand mode? I've yet to touch his head in that stance and I'm not even sure if it's possible.

#9 Posted by RyokuSonic (11 posts) -

@ryokusonic said:

I haven't been able to put party starter into any use yet either. I don't play Kick as my favorite or anything, but the one time I tried to put party starter to use on S-Kill, I think, it had no effect.

What i'm thinking is that it's supposed to knock people out of kick starter mode, seeing that it shows stars above the enemy when launched as if they got headshot

#10 Edited by mosespippy (4466 posts) -

@mezmero: I've definitely gotten headshots on him, but they've all been mid dive on a head first dive. I don't think I've gotten his head when he's just standing there on his hands.

#11 Posted by aznjon12 (189 posts) -

@mezmero said:

I'm just curious is Uncle Sensei immune to headshots while in hand stand mode? I've yet to touch his head in that stance and I'm not even sure if it's possible.

It's possible, I headshotted him with a low altitude Stream hit. It's just absurdly hard, but plausible with the more horizontal dive kickers(Shoals, Kung Pao.)

#12 Posted by Mezmero (2076 posts) -
#13 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2420 posts) -

I main Kick

Strategy: I dive, then I kick

#14 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I main Kick

Truly, you have grasped the very heart of Uncle Sensei's teachings.

#15 Edited by pawsoffury (123 posts) -

I main as Redacted. I find her Feral Stance works brilliantly for defensive & counter attack play. Especially strong against Dr Shoals.

#16 Edited by L1GHTN1N (551 posts) -

I play Shoals. I usually immediately kick back and start building meter (jump, immediately double kick which will put you about where you started). I do that 2-3 times before going in, I can usually get a round or two from people expecting me to jump back again instead of going in. After that I burn meter until I'm just under the mark to use it. A lot of the time I can fake people out by Kicking in, flight cancel then kicking again. For whatever reason I can never activate flight, cancel it then kick again fast enough when I have meter to burn, which is why I make sure I barely have enough meter to use it. I use it which instantly drains my meter which causes it to cancel immediately and let me kick again.

As far as The Baz, you need to get into a different mindset when fighting him. Unless he's using his Air Special or has Kickfactor, his actual kick doesn't do anything it's the lightning that comes after. With any other character you worry about either trading or doing it too late and getting hit instead of him (doing the footsies thing) with The Baz that's not really an issue. A lot of them like to just jump up and shoot across the screen, as Shoals I just jump up and kick straight and it will kill him every time he does that. Otherwise it's a lot of predicting where he's going and aim there, and if you miss then start mashing to Kickback. Him and S-Kill are certainly my worst match-ups but far from unbeatable.

#17 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

I've been playing a lot of Kick and Stream; two characters on pretty extreme ends of the spectrum.

As Kick, I focus on building meter and "slowly" taking away my opponents space. I'll stay in a neutral area and try to bait out a bad decision because Kick's kickback/kick reaction time is pretty ridiculous. If I get meter and an inactive opponent, I'll go for a Party Starter setup or go in hard with New Angle. Either way, I'm a counter-kicker until I get momentum and confidence.

As Stream, I just focus on being as tricky as possible. Whether that means doing absolutely nothing besides evading (Stream's double jump and escape options make him ridiculously slippery when you're just focusing on not getting hit) or throwing out his funky drill kick to probe for a tricky kill, I just want to be unpredictable. His specials add to this game, and Flame Bait in particular can set up one of the few headshot situations I can consistently land. My problem with him is he relies on making your opponent act and throwing him/her off their game. If the opponent isn't doing anything or they're not getting flustered, I have the potential to be flustered myself and to make some really really really really really dumb decisions.

#18 Posted by Undeadpool (4998 posts) -

Maining Shoals and finding her to be an absolute Baz killer. Just get above him and wait for him to make a move, or even kick at him, then correct when he goes for it. A lot of players don't seem to realize she can kick twice as I've had incredible success baiting them out (on consecutive rounds even) with my first kick. A general strategy for her is to switch off using one or two kicks, and NEVER get into the reflex of kicking twice, I have botched SO many rounds by using my second kick when I should have either canceled or let the first one go.

Using Kick as a secondary and I'm not sure I've got much more than has already been said as he's definitely the "Ken" of the game: very approachable and straightforward, which I appreciate. I actually have a REALLY hard time beating Dive as Kick since he dives so much higher, it's tough to get him at a disadvantage.

#19 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2420 posts) -

@mcghee said:

@oscar__explosion said:

I main Kick

Truly, you have grasped the very heart of Uncle Sensei's teachings.

I have a new part to my strategy now: Dive, then kick, then fuck up the party starter.

#20 Edited by MovesLikeJuaber (2 posts) -

Jefailey is amazing if you are used to defensive, charge-up characters like Guile. Though that playstyle won't get you much meter, you will get to learn how to read opponents' divekicks quickly...

Except for Dr. Shoals, fuck that matchup XD

My other main is Dive. His kit is amazing and versatile.

#21 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Does anyone else think the hitbox for Redacted's kick is a bit broken?

#22 Posted by Guesty_01 (382 posts) -

So last night I played a couple of matches against our very own FluxwaveZ, playing as S-Kill.

I think I'm finally starting to get a handle on how his double teleportation works. It had me baffled for a while, (and still occasionally does), but I've realised S-Kill is most vulnerable after he's used his second jump or while his kicking. It's still tricky trying to anticipate where es going to end up though, and to get any kind of spacing against him right.

Also, that party is a real bitch haha, but once I got a feel for it it's rather easy (as a Kung player) to get your kick underneth it. The only problem is knowing that he can do it to you, again messes with your spacing game.

God damn though if FluxwaveZ isn't a really good player, I got my arse handed to me :)

#23 Posted by Jnal (240 posts) -

Playing as Kick I've found at least against Dr. Shoals and S-Kill that defensively reacting to their moves I can crush them. I haven't played the most experienced players so high level Divekick may still be out of my reach for now.

#24 Posted by mosespippy (4466 posts) -

@jnal said:

Playing as Kick I've found at least against Dr. Shoals and S-Kill that defensively reacting to their moves I can crush them. I haven't played the most experienced players so high level Divekick may still be out of my reach for now.

I'm not sure how well that would work against a good S-Kill. In the GB tournament Flux beat me (a Kung Pao) in the top 8 with his S-Kill with 2 frauds in a row. He'd build enough meter to do a parry and then hold his ground waiting for an attack. The only hope was hitting him low (three times I was close but not low enough) or waiting for a time up. On the two time ups though I lost one and we got a judgement on the other. It's easy for S-Kill to hold the line with his teleports.

#25 Posted by Jnal (240 posts) -

@mosespippy: True I haven't played an S-Kill who plays like that yet. Most of the ones I've played are aggressive and come straight out. But I can totally see a good S-Kill player do that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.