Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divekick

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

Rising to prominence through the American fighting game community, Divekick is an indie fighting game that distills the controls into two simple buttons, requiring clever strategy as players try to score the first hit with their divekick attack!

Divekick has been Submitted, Release Date Soon

• 53 results
    mccarron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Now if all goes well it'll get approved and have a release date shortly. Congrats Iron Galaxy Studios!

Source: http://twitter.com/DivekickGame/status/352465025354567680

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Fuck yeah. Can't wait. Good job, you insane motherfuckers.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

I hope sony delivers and brings the game out before EVO. It would be a real strong push for the game since a ton of peoples eyes are on EVO and it's the best way to get impulse buys.

Plus, I really want to play this game.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Milkman
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

FINALLY. Too bad it hasn't gotten greenlit yet, though.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By rickyyo

This still blows my mind.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@rickyyo said:

This still blows my mind.

It really isn't that shocking. Unless a game generates huge buzz and can get lots of people flocking Greenlight to vote for it in a short period of time, the game is stuck with the guys who follow Greenlight regularly. And from what I understand, they're the type who are heavily invested in PC focused games, and tend not to like genres that have traditionally been more associated with consoles.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's awesome news. I can't wait to play it.

Seriously, fuck greenlight.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

The date fast approaches! 15 months in the making!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer

@flstyle: More like 22 years in the making

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please let there be a lot of PS3/PSV/PS4 players of this..

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe a Steam admin hasn't just gone in and arbitrarily greenlit Divekick considering the fact that its way more well known than pretty much everything else on the Greenlight service. If Iron Galaxy removed it from Greenlight and submitted it like a normal game developer I'd be incredibly surprised if it didn't get accepted.

Also I want this bad.

tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tkalsey

I'm still waiting for it to be greenlit.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Hopefully once the PS3 version hits all of the positive buzz around it will launch it up the list.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I CANNOT WAIT. This shit looks so awesome.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Awesome. Can we at least get a DRM-free PC version, and a Steam key if/when it gets greenlit?

It really isn't that shocking. Unless a game generates huge buzz and can get lots of people flocking Greenlight to vote for it in a short period of time, the game is stuck with the guys who follow Greenlight regularly. And from what I understand, they're the type who are heavily invested in PC focused games, and tend not to like genres that have traditionally been more associated with consoles.

Well, that's quite a lot of baseless assumptions you've just made...

Also, Valve have specifically said that the voting is only one aspect of Greenlight:

These titles were selected on the same criteria we have been using in the past: Votes in Greenlight give us a hugely valuable point of data in gauging community interest along with external factors such as press reviews, crowd-funding successes, performance on other similar platforms, and awards and contests to help form a more complete picture of community interest in each title.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlackLagoon

@beachthunder: Well, not my assumptions, but rather those of people who claim to have looked at which games do well, and which don't, on Greenlight. If they're wrong, by all means, give us your take.

@davidwitten22: That's not allowed. Once a developer has tried to Greenlight a game, that's their only path to Steam.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By moonwalksa

There's got to be at least some people responsible for Greenlight that are aware that this is A Real Fighting Game by now, right? Someone has to have noticed that it's getting a proper console release and appeared at E3 and has been at every major road to EVO tournament, right?

Since it's not wholly based on votes, surely they can give some lean towards things that are actual, proper releases rather than My First GameMaker Project like half the stuff on Greenlight is, right?

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I AM THROWING MY WALLET AT MY MONITOR BUT I NO GET DIVE KICK!!! HHHNNNNGGGGG!!!!

Obsurveyor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vote 'No' to Divekick on Greenlight!

paid for by the Committee to Prevent Divekick from being Greenlit

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this one of those "It looks like shit but I want it ironically" kind of things because looking at the greenlight page I don't see what the hype is about. The whole thing looks like some kind of joke that's going to end in mass buyers remorse.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

All over this. Can someone just organize the inevitable Divekick GiantBomb Scrub league tournament and sign me up? :-P

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, this cannot come out fast enough. Hurry it up, Lang.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Is this one of those "It looks like shit but I want it ironically" kind of things because looking at the greenlight page I don't see what the hype is about. The whole thing looks like some kind of joke that's going to end in mass buyers remorse.

Every video of anyone playing this Multi is having a blast and the game is about as simple and straightforward as you can get for a basic fighting game concept, enough so that I think you should be able to figure out if it is for you in about 3.5 secs.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#27  Edited By Hailinel

@popogeejo said:

Every video of anyone playing this Multi is having a blast and the game is about as simple and straightforward as you can get for a basic fighting game concept, enough so that I think you should be able to figure out if it is for you in about 3.5 secs.

No, I think that concern is legitimate. Even just watching the videos, it looks like something that has all of the staying power of a dumb, dumb flash game. Maybe fun in quick bursts or with friends when you don't have to pay for it. But I imagine a lot of people are going to lose interest not long after dropping money on it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: The FGC is embracing it pretty hardcore. There have been a ton of entrants in all the major road to EVO tourneys. Besides that there have been a few matches that were equally as tense and exciting as watching Marvel. People need to get over the art style. The fundamentals of the game are still as pure and fun as any other fighter. It just sheds all the bullshit to get to what is fun about fighting games the mindgames. That is what all fighting games boil down to.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FLStyle

You tell me, does Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat look shit but people buy them ironically? For the majority of gamers, the things they are capable of doing in SF and MK and the mechanics of Divekick are very similar.

The thing is, at the highest level, Divekick does the most important things, spacing of your character and mind-games with your opponent's character, just as well as they do. Why else do you think that Divekick tournament entrant numbers this year have been beating the likes of Persona, Tekken and Skullgirls competing with the likes of SSFIV, Ultimate Marvel 3 and Injustice?

Have you seen the crowds at PAX East 2013? E3 2013? This weekend at RTX 2013? Average gamers, all getting just as excited at these conventions as the pro players are at tournaments.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@flstyle said:

The thing is, at the highest level, Divekick does the most important things, spacing of your character and mind-games with your opponent's character, just as well as they do. Why else do you think that Divekick tournament entrant numbers this year have been beating the likes of Persona, Tekken and Skullgirls competing with the likes of SSFIV, Ultimate Marvel 3 and Injustice?

Because it's the memetic joke game of the moment, really.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

Joke games aren't a thing where fighting game tournaments are concerned, they get entrants for being interesting, fun to play and competitive games or no-one enters and they die.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

Or because it's fun and competitive. I'd rather listen to the opinions of the ones who've actually played the game than people who haven't and criticize it from a side-glance because of minor things like aesthetics.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rickyyo

@cmblasko said:

That's awesome news. I can't wait to play it.

@fluxwavez said:

Seriously, fuck greenlight.

Probably one of the worst systems ever invented. (Exaggeration)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:

@hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

Joke games aren't a thing where fighting game tournaments are concerned, they get entrants for being interesting, fun to play and competitive games or no-one enters and they die.

Then it's a really popular joke at the right moment. The humor is really basic and dumb (Oh, look, a sort of Kung Lao-ish character named Kung Pao. My sides, they're splitting. Really.), what jokes that are sort of amusing are targeted directly at the FGC, and its main draw is novelty. (Two buttons! Dive! Kick!)

It's a dumb, trendy little game that gets by on its novelty and FGC in-jokes. Come this time next year, no one is going to care about it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OurSin_360

I thought the game was a joke too until i saw people play it, it looks like a fun, accessible, yet strangely deep fighting game. Don't know how much i would pay for it though lol.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The anti-Divekick brigade is one of the absolute saddest groups on the internet.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

@hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

Then it's a really popular joke at the right moment. The humor is really basic and dumb (Oh, look, a sort of Kung Lao-ish character named Kung Pao. My sides, they're splitting. Really.), what jokes that are sort of amusing are targeted directly at the FGC, and its main draw is novelty. (Two buttons! Dive! Kick!)

It's a dumb, trendy little game that gets by on its novelty and FGC in-jokes. Come this time next year, no one is going to care about it.

You're oddly dismissive of this game you haven't played, which is doubly strange considering the vast majority of people who have played it (myself included) will tell you that you are dead wrong about the game and the amount of depth it has.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@milkman said:

The anti-Divekick brigade is one of the absolute saddest groups on the internet.

The what?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:
    @hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

@hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

You're oddly dismissive of this game you haven't played, which is doubly strange considering the vast majority of people who have played it (myself included) will tell you that you are dead wrong about the game and the amount of depth it has.

I'm sorry if I don't see the appeal. Maybe the game is better than I give it credit for. Anyway I'll keep my mouth shut about it for now until I have a chance to play it myself. Not getting my hopes up, though.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's actually people who are against Divekick?

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By mrcraggle

@joshthebear: It's a crazy world we live in. Just look at some of the comments on the Greenlight page.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By musubi

@hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

@hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

The humor is just the presentation aspect of the game. Its rather silly of you to judge it without playing it. The core game is an entirely solid and competent game.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I dunno if it's much to "get" just watching the game being played gets across all the basic ideas.

I think it's people expecting some big moment of clarity. But maybe once people play it, they will "get" it, since that seems to be the big opinion of the game so far.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I thought the game was a joke too until i saw people play it, it looks like a fun, accessible, yet strangely deep fighting game. Don't know how much i would pay for it though lol.

$14.99. That's how much you will pay for it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@iamjohn said:
    @hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

@hailinel said:

@flstyle said:

The same thing happened with Skullgirls, and I get the feeling that this will have a similar trajectory. I know I'm buying it day 1 just based on all the impressions I've heard (and the fact that I think the core idea is an INCREDIBLE one).

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By IroN1c

It's been a week since "a release date very shortly"....

Or did I miss something?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

anyone know if they're gonna do a controller bundle? I'm still not certain on what the story is there.

mccarron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mccarron

@iron1c said:

It's been a week since "a release date very shortly"....

Or did I miss something?

I assume both Sony and Iron Galaxy want the game out sooner than later given Evo is this weekend, so maybe it'll be revealed at the event? Or they don't know yet?

As far as PC release, I assume that won't be sorted until the Sony release is taken care of also when/if they get Greenlit for Steam.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Dive Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!!!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

Look man games can't be fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.