Divekick: Very First Impressions

Posted by eccentrix (1587 posts) -

Because I really have to tell this story to someone who'll appreciate it.

It was my second match and I was up against someone I'd seen at the top of the leaderboards, who I knew was a streamer because I'd seen a stream of his a couple of days ago. I picked MarkMan, who I'm pretty sure takes some skill to play well, and he picked Dr. Shoals, his favorite character, or "main". After he won the first round, over the mic, I heard him say to his viewers "Oh, this guy's in trouble." I won the second round and we were tied until the last round.

Divekick is the fighting game of the people.

#1 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

It's neat so far. Somehow I got a disconnect but I'm not sure how considering all my matches have gone through. Now I look like a dirty leaver instead of a bad Jefailey player. Well, by that I mean in the rankings it shows I have a 33% disconnect rate even though when I'm hovering over Ranked Play it has all my matches recorded and a 0% disconnect rate.

Oh, and there's a really terrible proofreading error in Mr. N's story mode. Stuff like that bugs the SHIT out of me.

#2 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2210 posts) -

The lobby music is fucking incredible.

#3 Posted by StarvingGamer (8370 posts) -

I am fucking rubbish

That said, in my second match someone thought they'd be smart and pick the YOLO gem as Dive against my S-Kill. I beat him in one round by TO.

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

I suck way more than I thought I would.

#5 Edited by Demoskinos (15009 posts) -

Shoals is my waifu. Love playing with her although can someone riddle me this does everyone have the "glowy red rage mode" shit? Shoals two meter moves are flying and a quick backwards float but yet one time I activated the "rage mode" stuff. Only thing I'm really clueless about.

Also god damn I about fell out of my chair laughing at stream monster. His dialog is twitch.tv chat spam. Its so fucking good. Oh god its just so fucking good.

#6 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I think people are YOLO-gemming to try to get the achievement.

#7 Edited by BaconGames (3482 posts) -

@fluxwavez said:

Tell me about it. I like to console myself by virtue of the fact that I've taken to maining Sensei but still. I got bodied in match-ups I thought (and probably were) on lock. I'm already running out of salt and it's disconcerting. Then again I think I had a moment of clarity with how I would or should probably play Sensei like last match so we'll see where that takes me.

Already got to play against Fubarduck, so I'll take that as a win I guess :D.

#8 Posted by JJOR64 (19017 posts) -

Same here. Got more losses then wins right now in ranked.

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (15009 posts) -

The online taking anyone else a while to find matches? Trying to play ranked and I've only been able to find 6 matches so far.

#10 Posted by JackSukeru (5921 posts) -

I played some against a friend and he wasn't into it, which sorta dragged the mood down. Later though I played a bunch online, had fun fighting a The Baz player while trying not to fall for too obvious traps.

Eventually I found some guy who had his mic on whose reactions were hilarious to listen to, we played a bunch and had a ton of fun eventually going through almost all characters.

I think my favorite character is Mr.N, both to play and to listen to. The only thing I don't like so far are the menus and some other things which take a little too much time, such as the time between "Death From Above" and "Round 1" when you start up a match, and that you can't skip the end match quote quicker and go to a rematch.

#11 Edited by Garfield518 (404 posts) -

The sad part is, there's already cheaters.

Dude would lag the match whenever he kicked, so he was essentially teleporting.

Keep an eye out for a user named Jabuamba.

#12 Edited by TAFAE (152 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

Shoals is my waifu. Love playing with her although can someone riddle me this does everyone have the "glowy red rage mode" shit? Shoals two meter moves are flying and a quick backwards float but yet one time I activated the "rage mode" stuff. Only thing I'm really clueless about.

Also god damn I about fell out of my chair laughing at stream monster. His dialog is twitch.tv chat spam. Its so fucking good. Oh god its just so fucking good.

That's Kick Factor, which everyone has. You automatically go into Kick Factor when you fill up your meter, then your meter starts depleting and you leave Kick Factor when it runs out.

#13 Edited by Vuud (2033 posts) -

I haven't bought it yet but its on my list.

Can you use the mouse buttons for controls?

#14 Posted by D_W (1179 posts) -

I have gone 7/18 online. I mainly play Sensei. I'm pretty garbage at the game, but I haven't gone through all of the story mode yet. I may switch to the Baz because he's really fun, but I like Sensei's skill set.

#15 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I'm 3-3 so far, 5th best Jefailey player in the world which means nothing since no one else really plays him. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting better, other times I'm not. Been rough trying to figure out how to play vs. The Baz, an aggressive Baz vs. an uncharged Jeafailey is ROUGH.

#16 Posted by Kro (7 posts) -

I'm 4-6 I think right now. Started off strong bet then got straighted bodied by a Dive player a few games in a row. This game is so fun, and I'm soooo bad

#17 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11904 posts) -

You know Adelheid, the lady with the parasol at EVO? I'm pretty sure I played against her and got headshotted 4 times in a row.

#18 Edited by ThunderSlash (1822 posts) -

This is hilarious.

#19 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: I played against Markman, I'm pretty sure. Almost frauded me, too (using MarkMan).

#20 Posted by Kro (7 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Thats the person that whooped my ass like 3 times I think

#21 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

I've also gone against Lord Knight (and lost, obviously).

Man, I'm really bad at this. 26-21, so far.

#22 Posted by D_W (1179 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

You know Adelheid, the lady with the parasol at EVO? I'm pretty sure I played against her and got headshotted 4 times in a row.

Last time I check twitter she had a screen shot of her as the top ranked PC player. Doesn't surprise me.

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (15009 posts) -

Yay I'm 29th ranked shoals player right now apparently @turboman is 3rd shoals in the world if that is the same turboman.

#24 Edited by L1GHTN1N (480 posts) -

I've managed to convince 2 friends to buy it, and played about 20 matches or so each with them messing around with different characters.We all had a blast even though they know nothing about the FGC (don't even know who Seth Killian is); a lot of people seemed to worry that those who don't know anything about it wouldn't get it but they still laughed and enjoyed it.

Wasn't feeling it at first but after that it's damn fun. Also doing much better than I thought I was going to, think I'm 20-14? right now, went on a 3 game losing streak with Kick, then a 7 game win streak with Shoals (including 2 frauds and a choke).

On a side note, almost EVERYONE on PC has a mic on. I assume it auto-detects it and turns on and they don't realize it, but at least half the matches had someone with a mic on. They weren't talking to me, but usually talking to a friend in the background or muttering to themselves normal things you say when annoyed like "I shouldn't have jumped there..." or "That's bullshit" which is HILARIOUS! When I frauded some guy and heard him just yell "FUCK!" and drop his controller I just had the biggest smile, so great!

#25 Edited by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

Yay I'm 29th ranked shoals player right now apparently @turboman is 3rd shoals in the world if that is the same turboman.

BEST IN THE WOOOOOORLD

#26 Posted by OurSin_360 (936 posts) -

This game is alot harder than i thought it would be lol. I like to feel semi competent before i try online, and that hasn't happened yet.

Who are your favorite characters? I've only tried kick and markman so far. S-kill with his infinite meter is cheeeeeeese....lol

#27 Edited by MightyDuck (1523 posts) -

I really want to pick this up, although none of my friends are really into fighting games...so the possibility of some fun local multiplayer is going to be lacking.

I'd end up just playing story mode and the occasional multiplayer...where I'll probably get rocked. Trying to decide if it's worth it.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (15009 posts) -

S-Kill is sort of fun simply because of his parry is really fucking great but he is super tricky to play as.

#29 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Just bought this. I hope it's as dumb as I am hoping it us.

#30 Edited by M_33 (527 posts) -

I really really like this game. I told myself since his announcement that I'd main Stream, but damn, he is weird to use. Still going to stick with him though, I feel like he can be a real monster if used right.

#31 Posted by LiquidKrel (5 posts) -

Anyone else having a hard time finding matches on PSN? sometimes it just sits there for about 10-15 minutes before I just give up. I've only gotten about 6 so far :(

#32 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

@liquidkrel: Takes me about 1-3 minutes. Perhaps adjusting your latency threshold in the options menu will find you matches faster.

#33 Posted by DarthOrange (3866 posts) -

Dive , Kick, Redacted, and N are the only ones I have had any luck with. I've only played locally though, will try online later.

#34 Posted by mattscout007 (90 posts) -

I'm having so much fun. Playing a lot of Markman, Kung Pao and Dive. Getting portal headshots with Kung Pao is so satisfying. Also Markman's upkicks knocking the opponent off into the sky like Redacted's kicks always makes me smile. I've also manages a positive Win/Loss in ranked, which is surprising.

#35 Edited by TehBuLL (613 posts) -

Is the PC version active? I am sitting here with Steam open...I want to click the button to buy it...but I just bought that last humble bundle and all of those are installing...let me know.

#36 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

Went into the game expecting to main REDACTED and whilst I beat the story with her (on hard) and love her dearly, her lacklustre specials have left me underwhelmed. Swapped over to Kung Pao and played online and have been having great results. Despite her Dive and Kick being the exact opposite of REDACTED 's (where Pao jumps low and far rather than high and close) I'm enjoying her a lot. Her special is really fun to use and she can keep low to avoid Shoals better than other characters.

Playing online on Steam, the servers were not working properly last night but got a load of games in this morning and it's nice that a lot of people are playing with mics, even if they're not talking, you can hear their reactions and it's hella funny.

Despite UI issues (please just let me use buttons) and initial online issues, the core mechanics of this game are crazy fun. Looking forward to getting home tonight and learning more characters.

#37 Edited by eccentrix (1587 posts) -

@tehbull said:

Is the PC version active? I am sitting here with Steam open...I want to click the button to buy it...but I just bought that last humble bundle and all of those are installing...let me know.

Yeah, it works fine.

Right now the only matches I can find are against Australians, which has led to both good and bad lag, as well as my first ranked win.

@samstrife Mics are automatically turned on, so everyone's just piped out to their opponents, which I think is really funny.

#38 Posted by DarthOrange (3866 posts) -

The YOLO and choke detection trophies are not working right now (on Vita at least). Did it twice and got nothing :(

I'm 7/8 with Dive although half of those losses were using the YOLO gem.

The trophy never popped :(

#39 Edited by eccentrix (1587 posts) -

This is a funny article if you're careful not to click any of the links.

#40 Edited by LackingSaint (1830 posts) -

Trying desperately to follow through with this Kung Pao Story playthrough, but her voice is so grating that it's making me legitimately hate the game.

#41 Posted by LackingSaint (1830 posts) -

Trying desperately to follow through with this Kung Pao Story playthrough, but her voice is so grating that it's making me legitimately hate the game.

#42 Posted by Kazzenn (127 posts) -

I've been okay, I'm slowly getting to the point where I'm competitive instead of getting stomped when I go up against someone who is obviously better than me.

Love the game though and I'm improving my Markman play slowly but surely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.