(Dive)Kickstarter is cancelled in the most positive way possible

#1 Posted by StarvingGamer (8246 posts) -

Even if your finger is pretty near the pulse of the Fighting Game Community (FGC), you may still be completely oblivious to the indie hit Divekick and the Kickstarter that was created to bring the game out in a real way.

However, despite reaching their funding goals with plenty of time to spare, this morning the game's creator Adam Heart (Keits) officially cancelled the project. Fortunately the message he sent out to the backers was not one of doom and gloom. Here's why:

One True Game Studios would like to thank everyone for their offer of support, but we have decided to close the Kickstarter despite reaching our funding goal. The reason for this is simple: the spirit of Kickstarter is as a creative “last resort,” if there is no way to get your game funded, hit up Kickstarter to see if there’s enough community interest in funding it. Well, we are happy to inform you today that we've made a deal with a publisher to help us both finish and release Divekick to the masses! The finished game will be loaded with features and characters, and we are sure you'll be pleased with the result.

This is pretty cool in and of itself, but Keits decided to go the extra mile for the people who were willing to pledge a total of $32,543 towards his passion project. Other than game pre-orders and t-shirts (which he obviously cannot honor without taking in funding), all other rewards are being fulfilled and expanded to make sure that every backer is able to provide their own creative input.

So shoutout to Keits for being a paragon of virtue. Whenever it comes out, wherever it comes out, whether or not you get the joke or are even into fighting games, it might be worth picking up. I know I'll be there on day one. GET HYPE!

#2 Posted by FLStyle (4701 posts) -

That is great news! I look forward to learning more about this development.

#3 Posted by Slag (4400 posts) -

very cool. Integrity is always nice to see.

#4 Posted by llamaegg (227 posts) -

Man, I was totally ready to pledge some cash to this tonight, I mean, totally hyped over this, but who the hell is the publisher?

#5 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Too much controls for me.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@SexyToad said:
Too much controls for me.
Doesn't matter. Its more of " Hey kickstarter is there for a reason. We got another way and we will use it" 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.