Donkey Konga Bongo Controller

#1 Edited by joey (1029 posts) -

I know Jeff was joking when he had the idea of playing this game with the Donkey Konga bongo drum controller, but it totally (theoretically) is possible on the PC version.

You could use a gamecube-to-usb adapter.

The left bongo has sensors for the y and b buttons, and the right one for x and a. Clapping above the microphone counts as the z button but I don't think it works with the usb adapter.

#2 Edited by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

Reading this thread title aloud makes you sound completely insane. Try it.

Also that's really awesome, I wonder what other games would wire up with it well.

#3 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (974 posts) -

I'm more a fan of using Rockband drums.

#4 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2674 posts) -

GET DAVE LANG ON THE LINE.

#5 Posted by ArtisanBreads (4644 posts) -

GET DAVE LANG ON THE LINE.

Gotta be some of these jobs lying around in a warehouse somewhere.

#6 Posted by agentboolen (1931 posts) -

@joey: Finally a reason to dust off the old DK Bongos!!! Many thanks for your brilliant mind of madness.

#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (14797 posts) -

How about: Rock Band guitar. Up strum and down strum. Think about it.

#8 Posted by joey (1029 posts) -

Or, you could find a program that converts voice commands into button presses, so you could just keep shouting "JUMP!" or "KICK!" into your microphone.

#9 Posted by JJWeatherman (14797 posts) -

I also would not be averse to Divekicking via the Samba De Amigo maracas.

All of this needs to be made a reality.

#10 Edited by ArtisanBreads (4644 posts) -

THOSE AIR DRUM CONTROLLERS!?!

Or how about those Buzz quiz show controllers?

#11 Posted by DarkShaper (1362 posts) -

I was planing on using DDR mats.

#12 Posted by Dalai (7773 posts) -

Just give me Oculus Rift support and I'll be good.

#13 Posted by joey (1029 posts) -

Use one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sip-and-puff

#14 Posted by Doomed (270 posts) -

I will actually do this because I don't think I can afford two Divekick controllers. It sounds awesome, and I've always wanted to play more Donkey Konga.

#15 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2674 posts) -

Came in this topic to post just now what I already said over a month ago and had forgotten. Damn I'm quick.

#16 Posted by GS_Dan (1431 posts) -

I have three of these fuckers somewhere.

#17 Posted by Vexxan (4624 posts) -

This is a brilliant idea. Drums at the ready!

#18 Edited by mccarron (89 posts) -

Got my bongos and this adapter, and went to testing. I can confirm this adapter works with the DK Bongos on both PC and PS3. I don't see why there would be any issue on PC, but may have an issue on PS3 navigating menus, etc.

On PS3 I started game (Injustice) with a controller went to the button remap menu and remapped buttons to the bongos and then swapped back to get into a game and swapped back again to play the game with the bongos. This may work better on PS3 with Divekick, depending on how much the menu system changed from the game menus at UFGT9. I'll find out once the game is out.

#19 Edited by ImperiousRix (3095 posts) -

Wow, that's an amazing idea in theory. As long as it's confirmed to work, I can see that being the most authentic Divekick experience outside of snagging a Kickbox for yourself.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -

Now if only it was compatible with that Tony Hawk skateboard controller.

#21 Posted by jrl5k (44 posts) -

I have played divekick on an original kickbox and now for a solid day plus on the donkey kong bongos and say the bongos are ok, but NOTHING like a kickbox. The kickbox has a real viceral feel of weight and slam to them that is missing on everything else including the bongos. The bongos have switches under the drums that you end of lightly pushing with your finger tips and work fine but do not replace the kickbox

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.