Giant Bomb Steam Divekick Side Tournament!

#151 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -

Updated the bracket to reflect the most recent stuff!

#152 Edited by Raethen (180 posts) -

I sent a friend request yesterday, and a PM a bit ago. No response from my opponent yet. He has been online a few times since I sent the request. Hopefully I'll get a reply soon.

#153 Posted by Barrabas (325 posts) -
@thdemn said:

My opponent got in contact with me last minute and we played. I barely won so you don't need to change who is where on the bracket, but I just sent the actual match results to you if you want to update. Sorry about all the trouble.

#154 Posted by L1GHTN1N (438 posts) -

@barrabas said:
@thdemn said:

My opponent got in contact with me last minute and we played. I barely won so you don't need to change who is where on the bracket, but I just sent the actual match results to you if you want to update. Sorry about all the trouble.

Yep @thdemn just updated the bracket and I sent you PM who you guys are playing next (or check the bracket).

#155 Edited by rickyyo (123 posts) -

Edit: Didn't see the steam profile links.

I was looking for someone I played in a random unranked match.

#156 Posted by Itwongo (1119 posts) -

Zornack got the win! Props to 'im, it was a good couple matches.

#157 Edited by GaspoweR (2793 posts) -

We've got 10 or 11 winner's bracket matches left.

#158 Posted by L1GHTN1N (438 posts) -

Alright it's getting late so I assume that @thdemn is in bed at this point. I'll be up for about another 40 minutes or so for any bracket updates or answer any questions I can, after that either thdemn or I will go through any updates in our inboxes when we're able to.

Also tomorrow I won't be able to respond to updates nearly as fast, so make sure if you send me a PM about updates to include @thdemn on it as well (you should be doing that anyways, but just a friendly reminder!).

Thanks, and good luck on the rest of the matches!

#159 Edited by thdemn (94 posts) -

Yup, I totally passed out for a bit and will remain so. However tomorrow I will be up and ready to take down all updates as soon as I am up. Go work today everyone, and thank you for making this much less a headache to run for everyone behind the scenes.

#160 Posted by Barrabas (325 posts) -

Well, I went from not being sure I would be able to fight my first opponent to out of the tournament real quick. Oh well.

#161 Posted by L1GHTN1N (438 posts) -

@barrabas: Such are tournaments, hope you had fun at least! Who knows, train up and maybe if we do another one of these you'll be on top!

#162 Posted by Barrabas (325 posts) -

@l1ghtn1n: I hope we end up dong another one. This game is really fun. It's so much easier to tell why you lost and where you screwed up than other fighting games, and I don't have to feel bad about my normally terrible combo execution. I don't think this is going to replace Street Fighter as my fighting game of choice anytime soon, but it's a nice break while still remaining true to what makes fighting games fun.

Best of luck to everyone else who is less terrible than me and still in the tournament.

#163 Posted by Shikon (175 posts) -

i'll give a quick update on my status, Dalai and me will fight later in the afternoon. we had some conflicting schedules but should be good to go now!

#164 Edited by Bollard (5247 posts) -

@barrabas: Agreed, I really hope this isn't the only time we do a PC DiveKick tourney.

#165 Posted by Bollard (5247 posts) -

@b0unty1234 if you're out there let's get some Divekick going! PM me!

Did you ever play that guy? I see it was 2-0 with no results and the dude doesn't own DiveKick, so did you get a bye?

#166 Posted by ottoman673 (480 posts) -

Should be available to complete matches today. Last night got a little fucked with my Internet going out, but all seems to be in order now

#167 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -

Alright, I am back and ready to update. Start sending in those matches

#168 Edited by GaspoweR (2793 posts) -

To any of my potential matchups in the loser's bracket: I won't be around from 3PM CDT (4PM EST/ 1PM PST) until later at night and I'm not certain what time I'll be back. Hopefully, @g_ and @youruglyclone would be able to resolve their match soon so we can get some more matches going as soon as possible. :)

#169 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -

I am going to start DQing people, and adding byes. If people haven't contacted me by this point and moved forward, I can assume they are no shows.

#170 Posted by Raethen (180 posts) -

@thdemn: Do you need a PM, or is my post in the thread ok. My opponent has signed into steam again this morning with no reply. I also checked the steam account and dive kick isn't on the owned games list.

#171 Edited by thdemn (94 posts) -

I moved you forward already. You are all set. The brackets are all set up!

#172 Posted by L1GHTN1N (438 posts) -

If you haven't done so already check the bracket again. Just about everyone should either have a new match lined up for them, or be waiting on 1 more match to finish depending on how far along they are.

#173 Posted by ottoman673 (480 posts) -

@l1ghtn1n said:

If you haven't done so already check the bracket again. Just about everyone should either have a new match lined up for them, or be waiting on 1 more match to finish depending on how far along they are.

Still waiting on musou and Vyperious. Winner should just add me on Steam so we can play

#175 Posted by PeezMachine (234 posts) -

@chavtheworld: Yeah, that was a no-show. The lack of Divekick combined with a yearlong Steam absence didn't bode well.

#176 Edited by Chaser324 (6322 posts) -

The waiting is killing me inside. I'm probably a bad person for thinking it, but it would be so much easier to have patience if it weren't a guy with only two posts.

#177 Posted by Bollard (5247 posts) -
#178 Posted by Chaser324 (6322 posts) -

@thdemn @l1ghtn1n Do you guys have any sort of deadline in mind for round 1/2 matches?

#179 Posted by L1GHTN1N (438 posts) -

@chaser324: I'm just helping put in scores and answer questions so all that is up to @thdemn . Have you managed to get in contact with your opponent at all either through Steam or PM?

#180 Edited by Chaser324 (6322 posts) -

@l1ghtn1n: He actually sent me a friend request on Steam last night after I had gone to sleep, so he's aware of the match. I just haven't been able to get in touch with him today through Steam or PM.

My main point was just that I'd think if you wanted to make sure you get to the Top 8 by 5PM EDT tomorrow, the tournament probably needs to get through at least round 2 or 3 today.

#181 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -

We are just trying to get through as much as possible. The tournament stays going for as long as we bracket updates can go, so we will do our best to get as far. Let's say around 10 EST, if there are more no shows action will be taken.

#182 Posted by Chaser324 (6322 posts) -

@thdemn: FYI, that @youruglyclone guy registered for the PS3/Vita tournament as well and was no show over there.

#183 Posted by L1GHTN1N (438 posts) -

@thdemn: FYI, that @youruglyclone guy registered for the PS3/Vita tournament as well and was no show over there.

He hasn't played a single match in this tournament either so I'm assuming he's a no-show for here as well, thanks for the heads up.

#184 Edited by urban_ryoga (83 posts) -

@gaspower: yay! I'm your next opponent! Just hit me up when you are back.

#185 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11471 posts) -

The match between me and @glentennis was laggy as all hell, but thanks to my lag-mastering abilities, I won 2-0. I feel sort of dirty.

#186 Posted by GaspoweR (2793 posts) -
#187 Edited by Chaser324 (6322 posts) -

Damn! I really should've spent more time practicing before playing in this thing. I just played for four hours straight (had only played the game for about one hour prior to my two matches), and now I've realized what a mistake it was to just main Kick. Counter picking in this game can be incredibly effective.

Good luck to everyone still in competition! I hope we can do it again very soon!

#188 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -
#189 Edited by Chaser324 (6322 posts) -

@thdemn: I saw @dolphin_butter mentioning in the IRC chat for the PS3/Vita Divekick tournament that he might have availability issues. You might want to ask @fluxwavez about it.

#190 Edited by dubradditz57 (7 posts) -

How long do I wait till my next opponent in the loser bracket does not respond to PM or steam friends request? He was online a while ago but to no avail.

#191 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -

@dubradditz57: Just trying to work through rounds 1 and 2 at the moment. I hope once we settle those, the rest will fall in place

#192 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -

Alright, we have cleaned up the bracket again, to remove people who haven't been in contact all day in the interest of keeping the tournament moving. If anyone who was effected sees these messages late, and wants to discuss options just send me a PM and we will come up with something. For now, everyone check out the bracket and contact your next opponents.

#193 Posted by Raethen (180 posts) -

@thdemn: Sorry for holding things up. Drayne O didn't accept my friend request, or reply to my PM, so In played SRIV while waiting and missed this message. Kinda pissed I didn't get to play a single match because of no shows, but there is always next time.

#194 Posted by L1GHTN1N (438 posts) -

@raethen: If you haven't already shoot him a PM, might still be able to put you back into the bracket. No guarantees but worth trying.

#195 Posted by GaspoweR (2793 posts) -

Oh wild card matches for extra drama? Hehe!

#196 Posted by Raethen (180 posts) -

@l1ghtn1n: It's fine. I need more practice anyway. And I should probably try and get some work done, games have been taking up a lot of time the past couple of weeks.

If anyone wants to play some casual matches, add me on steam, I'm gdyoder. I'm usually online most nights, or all nights.

#197 Edited by L1GHTN1N (438 posts) -

If anyone has any last minute updates for the bracket I'll be up for about another hour or so, after that either me or @thdemn will get to them in the morning.

Best of luck with the rest of the tournament!

#198 Posted by GaspoweR (2793 posts) -

Good luck on Day 3 of the tournament everyone!

#199 Edited by PeezMachine (234 posts) -

Any tips for getting around the "999" or "???" ping showing up on lobbies, and then then being unable to join? Didn't happen last time, and now it's happening for both players when we try to host.

Never mind! Magically fixed.

#200 Posted by thdemn (94 posts) -

@peezmachine: Both restart Steam and reopen Divekick. Worked yesterday

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.