How has your opinion of Divekick changed?

• 76 results
Posted by Mirado (993 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: How has your opinion of Divekick changed? (378 votes)

I thought it was a joke/didn't know about it, but now I'm considering or going to buy it. 24%
I thought it was a joke/didn't know about it, and nothing has changed that. No sell. 19%
I wanted it from the start, and still do! 24%
I now want to buy it AND a controller, assuming they or someone else releases one. 9%
I was going to buy it, but now I'm going to wait and see. 2%
I was going to buy it, but now I'm totally against it. (Please explain, as I can't understand this one.) 2%
I'm trapped in the Lang Zone, send help! (joke option/show me the results). 20%

When I first heard of Divekick (before the Kickstarter, a friend explained that someone had made a prototype parody fighting game that people at EVO seemed to enjoy), I thought it was an amusing commentary on fighting games, but not much more. Now, after seeing all the work that Keits and Lang and the rest of the people at Iron Galaxy have put into it, I've gone from calling it a joke to seriously wanting both the game and a custom control to go with it.

It seems like such a fun party game, and yet it looks deep enough that if I wanted to actually get into it, I wouldn't be bored for a while. As a person that only plays a bit of SF4 and no other fighting games, it might be a good gateway to other, more complicated ones.

How has your opinion changed (if at all) about the game?

#51 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -

It is still a joke game but it is actually fun to play.

#52 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

I can't see how being trapped in the Lang Zone is considered a joke, because let me tell ya, it's no joke, son!

#53 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

still don't care about it, mainly cause I don't care about fighting games.

#54 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

I can't see how being trapped in the Lang Zone is considered a joke, because let me tell ya, it's no joke, son!

The only way some of us can cope is to laugh. D:

#55 Posted by MikeJFlick (441 posts) -

@shagge said:

At first my impression was "Hey, that's a cool and funny idea."

Now, after careful consideration and research, I'm kind of leaning towards "Hey, that's a cool and funny idea."

By the time it releases, I'm sure my feelings will have landed squarely in the "Hey, that's a cool and funny idea." side.

Yeah.... I don't like fighting games, I don't like simple games, it seems novel but wasn't interested when I first saw it, still not interested, although watching other people playing it might be the highlight, because I have no urge otherwise.

#56 Posted by Fearbeard (826 posts) -
@mirado said:

@fearbeard: It doesn't though, as they give you a percentage for each option. If 100 people vote, even if 90 pick the joke option, you still know how many voted for the real ones.

I throw it in so if you honestly have no opinion, rather than actually skewing the results by choosing a real option, you can just pick that if you want to see what other people have voted. I'd rather dump those votes into a joke option than have them vote "Never!" and make it seem like a significant portion of voters are anti-Divekick.

If you have no opinion, then I think that puts you in the no-sell category based on the description you provided for it. And if you didn't intend that option to include people who don't know about the game then include an honest option of "What's Divekick?" I just think that joke options in a poll like this take out a disproportionate amount of negative votes then they do positive votes which does change the complexion of the poll.

#57 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10864 posts) -

The thing with Divekick is that the more I see it, and the more I hear people talking about it and the strategies for it, I'm starting to think that it might be getting too complex.

I mean, when Divekick was first announced, it was a two button game. No special moves, nothing fancy like that. Just two buttons.

That, and without a way to really mash my way to victory, I think this'll just end up like all other fighting games where I'll have some fun with the single player, and some fun playing with friends locally, but I'd always get destroyed trying to play online.

#58 Edited by forteexe21 (343 posts) -

Always loved the idea behind the game. Just waiting for the price.

#59 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

When I first saw DK way back when, I thought it was a hilarious/neat curiosity. With the Dave Lang hype-machine promoting it now, DK is even more hilarious/neat.

#60 Posted by CaLe (3945 posts) -

I knew from the moment I saw it that it would spawn a whole new generation of cyber-athletes.

#61 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

what platform is dive kick on ?

#62 Edited by Petiew (1344 posts) -

I hadn't been following the game too much, but as soon as I saw Mr N I was sold.

#63 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I think it's extremely dumb, but if they price it cheap enough and make it easy to play with a friend I will probably get it. I could see spending $5 on it so a friend and I can play it for a few hours, but I don't see it holding my interest beyond that. If/when it does come to PC I will be waiting for a Steam sale if it's launching at $15.

#64 Posted by EVO (3890 posts) -

Not a fan of the art style, and every match I've seen played like a coin toss. On the other hand, it'll make for a good party game.

#65 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: Divekick is currently set for PS3, Vita and PC, and will also be on Steam if it makes it through Greenlight. If you are interested, I suggest you check out Greenlightdivekick.com.

Also, you can just go to the Greenlight tab in Steam and search for Divekick.

#66 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

I don't know, I am aware it exists but I don't really have a strong opinion either way. I most likely won't be buying it unless it's on sale for 99p though.

#67 Edited by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@evo said:

every match I've seen played like a coin toss.

Yep pretty much this, I don't see the "depth" I just see 2 characters charged with an unlimited super move and whoever whiffs it loses.

#68 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

@mirado said:

@jimmyfenix: Divekick is currently set for PS3, Vita and PC, and will also be on Steam if it makes it through Greenlight. If you are interested, I suggest you check out Greenlightdivekick.com.

Also, you can just go to the Greenlight tab in Steam and search for Divekick.

thank you i have said yes on steam. i will probably get it on the ps3 but im surprised this wont be coming on the 360

#69 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1992 posts) -

Knew about it since Keits was the big head behind it, and to be honest hearing Dave Lang being constantly referred to firsthand and Keits as "the other guy" is really just depressing, thought it was a great idea then. Still do.

#70 Posted by Kidavenger (3528 posts) -

My opinion of the game has improved and I think it looks great but I don't really care much about fighting games so I probably won't buy it.

#71 Posted by chilibean_3 (1633 posts) -

Every time I see that game there are more characters that do weird things and more mechanics. That's fine but it isn't really what I was looking forward to. I'm not good at fighting games at all and I saw this as a neat game to have a bit of fun with and learn some of the deeper portions of fighting games. Every time they add more for me to learn the more I feel like it's becoming closer to other modern fighting games and I start to get uninterested.

Now, it's still only two buttons and a very simplified fighting game when it comes to inputs but it feels like only one or two more updates until it becomes something I can't get into. But I'm probably in the minority with this.

#72 Edited by Mirado (993 posts) -

@jimmyfenix said:

thank you i have said yes on steam. i will probably get it on the ps3 but im surprised this wont be coming on the 360

Lang had this to say on Reddit about it:

For 360 we need to partner up with someone else (i.e. we can't self-publish on that platform) so for right now we're focusing on the platforms we can do on our own. If the game does well I think that would generate the interest required to get it on other platforms.

So it isn't impossible, just that they'd need to generate enough interest to get a publisher on that system (and possibly others, hard to tell).

#73 Posted by JohnLocke (255 posts) -

#

@jay_ray said:

Similar to Jeff, I think Divekick is the first fighting game that I can really get into.

Essentially this. I am not into the whole combo's as for whatever reason I can never seem to pull them off. However, this looks like it could be a blast with friends around or whatever. I am disappointed it did not get Greenlight in time to get Oculus Rift support, that would have been a nice box tick thing for them to have put in.

#74 Edited by Legion_ (1270 posts) -

I think it's hella weird.

#75 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I thought it was a not very funny joke and a lot of work put in for the not so funnies. Now I think it is a not very funny joke that has had plenty more work put in on it to where the resulting game looks like a lot of fun to play.

I have been wanting to see a 1-hit kill fighting game since Bushido Blade. I have always thought the move towards greater amount of character health/decreased damage per hit to extend the length of each round was kinda the wrong way to go, and made fighting games progressively less fun to play for me. Part of that I tried to make up for in character choice, moving to slower moving/big damage characters. But still I miss the days of SF2 Blanka. I throw you, you lose 40%. You do anything unsafe on the other side of the screen and I fly across it at speed of sound to hit you. I throw you again, you're dead. :)

#76 Posted by MormonWarrior (2561 posts) -

Real answer: once they replace that placeholder art, I'll think about getting it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.