Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divekick

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

Rising to prominence through the American fighting game community, Divekick is an indie fighting game that distills the controls into two simple buttons, requiring clever strategy as players try to score the first hit with their divekick attack!

Why is this not a serious fighting game?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I've seen a lot of people say that this game should not be taken seriously (at least at a competitive level) and I'm not sure I think people who like to argue that this is simply a joke or shouldn't be taken seriously actually have legitimate arguments to back it up. I've seen:

• It doesn't look good.
    • It's only played with two buttons.
    • One-hit KO / No health.
    • It's just meant as a parody.

And I don't think any of these are valid and seem to be stated more by people who don't even play fighting games that much or know about them on a fundamental level compared to those that do.

Thankfully, most people think otherwise or just don't care, but it's rather frustrating to see people dismiss it for practically no reason.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

The people who hate on Divekick also probably hate having fun.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mwng

I was trying to work out at what point it stopped being a joke. Or at what point I stopped understanding the joke.

It did start life as a joke right?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

For the same reason thumb wrestling isn't a serious martial art.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Same reason Smash Bros. isn't taken seriously; there's little depth.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

its a real different kind of fighting game, seems like it relies more on timing and strictly playing mind games with your opponent by figuring out when to dive and kick.

rather than the normal reliance on strategy with combos and blocking and button combos and special moves and whatnot.

its a fighting game, i don't think its nowhere near as deep as other traditional fighting games though.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@icemael said:

For the same reason thumb wrestling isn't a serious martial art.

@evo said:

So because the game lacks technical complexity, it shouldn't be taken seriously?

I guess this is also the reason I've always thought of Smash Bros. as a valid fighting game (if the random elements are stripped out): fighting games do not need to be traditional to be competitive. Perhaps the depth that Divekick offers is more nebulous than others (kick angle, emphasis on mind games, emphasis on footsies, air specials and ground specials...), but if a good player can consistently beat out a player who's just button mashing, I think it's as valid as any other.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because elitist assholes don't know how to cope with something being different. It has the mental game that fighting games have, it just delivers that feeling all the time rather than just when the match it close. Whatever, fighting game elitists can harp on it all they want, I'll be over here having fun with my friends (playing Divekick).

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Most people have a hard time accepting that complexity has little to do with depth. To them, the more buttons and moves a game has (fighting, strategy, or whatever) the "deeper" it is.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i was under the impression that a lot of people were pretty open minded to the idea of it appearing in tournaments etc. ever since it appeared ultradavid has been championing it and talks a lot about how strategy/mind games based it is.

that said i think it is easy for people to take a glance at it and decide it is a joke because it is presented as a joke and a pretty funny one (i think at least)

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @fluxwavez said:
    Thankfully, most people think otherwise or just don't care, but it's rather frustrating to see people dismiss it for practically no reason.

100% agree with you there. I've been telling friends of mine that it's the most fun I've had with a competitive game, and some of them are adamant that this game is a joke and nothing more. Maybe my frustration is borne out of the fact that I've played it, and the people who dismiss it are making judgments solely on the game's look.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, many people lack a sense of humour.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Elitist Assholes. They want to feel special because they spent 100 hours in a training room in Street Fighter to learn Sick C-C-C-Combos bro and don't like that this game is accessible.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thegoldencat7

It was interesting that the DiveKick tournament at PAX East came down to Mago and Tokido in the final. Nothing about what they were doing was random. Mago picked a character that let him whiff punish and capitalise on poor spacing easily just like he does with his SF4 character. It was amazing to see the level of strategy going on in such a stripped down, simple on the surface system.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: The more it is getting fleshed out and polished, the more people are accepting it. I think that once it is really given a spitshine and people are able to see the variety of characters and depth in the overall system, they'll understand why it truly is an interesting challenge.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It seems pretty serious to me.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@evo said:

That would be like saying Chess isn't a serious strategy game because it doesn't have the depth of Warhammer 40k.

Complexity ≠ depth.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Every time I see this game, I'm astonished at how deep it is, and how it only seems to get deeper and crazier. I didn't even realize it had special moves until TNT tonight.

I know I can't wait. Looks fantastic. THIS IS FANTASTIC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.