Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divinity: Original Sin

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 30, 2014

Divinity: Original Sin is a top-down turn-based RPG developed by Larian Studios. It introduces new elements to the franchise, such as co-op gameplay and decision-making as well as a more interactive world.

New Divinity: worth playing if I'm bad at strategy games?

TheKreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can never wrap my head around strategy games.
    But I am a sucker for a good story, great characters, and RPG-numbers-going-up.

For someone like me, would Divinity: Original Sin be worth just chucking it on the easiest difficulty setting and giving it a run?
    On the surface it seems like it would scratch that itch, but then, all I've heard anyone talk about is the combat in that game. Obviously, if I'm just gonna plow through it on easy, then there wouldn't be much there for me.

Thoughts?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

It's not a strategy game. It's closer to Temple of Elemental Evil than Xcom or FF Tactics.

Play it, it's really good.

TheKreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: I'd call both of those turn-based strategy games, but I guess we're getting into a pointless semantics discussion haha.
    My point about "strategy" games extends to "tactics" games too.

Knowing that, would you still recommend it?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rowr

Well the story isn't like amazing, it's interesting enough to provide the environments and keep you heading through. The main characters are what you make them, literally you decide what they will be like. The occasional side character is pretty good though and there is a fair bit of tongue in cheek scenarios and humour. It's not like old Bioware quality but then again neither is anything these days.

As far as RPG-numbers-going-up the leveling is actually quite slow by comparison to most games, therefore every point you get is fairly precious so you need to assign carefully.

This game can be a little rough around the edges in a few spots it definitely doesn't hold your hand or tell you where to go and the occasional environment puzzle has some leaps of logic you would never think of, i've googled a couple times to keep myself moving through it or trying to work out where I need to go.

The combat is definitely the biggest part of the game and what you will find yourself doing the most, so I don't know. I doubt it, but is their a demo for this game? Otherwise perhaps wait for a sale.

I mean it's a great game In my opinion, definitely one of the best i've played in years as far as RPG's go. But i'm a sucker for these sort of turnbased/tactical/whatever style strategy games.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it has a certain charm but its not for everybody. Gets a little obtuse and "not sure what to do next" now and again but it has moments. I dont think you'd plow through it on easy, people who dont know much about the genre at all like Patrick had a hard time on normal so easy might be just fine for a beginner and still be challenging.

TheKreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr: Thanks for giving such a detailed response!

Thanks everyone else, too, for weighing in. All things considered, sounds like something I might give a bit of a whirl at the very least :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.