Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Divinity: Original Sin

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 30, 2014

Divinity: Original Sin is a top-down turn-based RPG developed by Larian Studios. It introduces new elements to the franchise, such as co-op gameplay and decision-making as well as a more interactive world.

Should I try Divinity: Original Sin?

Avatar image for ronniecolemanmro
    RonnieColeManMrO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RonnieColeManMrO

Should I try divinity original sin. I have kind of fallen out of RPGs for awhile until currently playing xenoblade and now I'm ready for something a little deeper. Thing is I never played a crpg before is this game tough to get into is there a easy difficult setting

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Moving this to the Divinity board...

I would say that Divinity is pretty tough to get into if you're not familiar with the kind of character creation that's intertwined with the CRPG genre. It's a lot more involved than you'll find in something like Mass Effect (can't speak to Xenoblade). It's really fun, and does include an easy mode, but you'll probably want to fool around with the combat system for three or four hours and then just restart the game when you find your footing.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

http://www.giantbomb.com/divinity-original-sin/3030-38446/forums/new-divinity-worth-playing-if-im-bad-at-strategy-g-1494494/#6

Similar thread recently.

From what I have read the game is still pretty challenging on the easy difficulty setting. (I think there is an easy difficulty setting?) Either way the game can be tough to get into for people unfamiliar with the genre. If you have a decent mind for strategy games, some general RPG experience and patience to learn how it works though you should be fine, perhaps read up on some early game tips and guides to ensure you don't screw yourself from the beginning by building your characters less than ideally if you do decide to pick it up. It's a very good game, so if you are leaning towards getting it you probably should.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

Divinity is a PC-ass PC game. I think that if you don't mind spending the time to read conversations and lore, you will find Divinity to be one of the most rewarding gaming experiences in quite some time. However, it isn't a game that you can pay loose attention to and skip through conversations and expect to have even the most basic grasp of what is going on. It's a fantastic game, possibly my Game of the Year so far, but I realize it certainly isn't for everyone.

I think the "problem" with Divinity may be that if you're not used to hardcore RPGs, you could potentially create two characters that are not only less than ideal, they just plain suck. Personally, I have years of experience in CRPGs dating back to the early 90s, but even I restarted Divinity about five times before I had a pair of characters that I was happy with. This represented about 20 hours of gameplay that I threw away and just chalked up to a learning experience about the game's mechanics. This probably could have been avoided if I used the pre-generated characters, but I almost never do that anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.