A chat with a DJ about DJ Hero

Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

In case nobody knew, yes, I've been excited about the release of DJ Hero. It's revolutionary in my book, and FreeStyleGames deserves a lot of credit for the work done on this. Yes, it's expensive. But I'm still going to get it. $120. Should be worth it.
 
But some of that excitement went away when I talked to a real DJ. And a very good DJ at that. I can't remember his name; he was just my friend's friend. Anyways, he started talking about DJ Hero. I told him I was excited about it, and he said it looks sweet. But he's not going to get it. He later showed me some of his equipment and explained why.
 
His main reason was the songs. They weren't all that creative, from what he saw of it. Like on the commercial, with Eminem and Jay-Z. He said he didn't find the song all that good. He even showed me that any Hip Hop, Rap, or both genres mixed together was fairly easy to mix. Then he went on to show me a more complicated mix, dance and hip hop. It was pretty catchy, better than what we heard on the commercial.
 
His next reason wasn't so relevant, but was nevertheless good. His full time hobby is DJing. He has over 80,000 songs and broadcasts 24/7, with mixes over 29 hours long. Pretty impressive, his career.

To be fair though, he did add that it would be fun for anybody who would want to DJ. But he also said he'd rather wait for the next one. So would I.
 
Then again, maybe I should still have hope that I will enjoy it when I purchase it. But then again, maybe it'd be funner to DJ for real. There's some food for thought.
 
Your thoughts?

#1 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -

In case nobody knew, yes, I've been excited about the release of DJ Hero. It's revolutionary in my book, and FreeStyleGames deserves a lot of credit for the work done on this. Yes, it's expensive. But I'm still going to get it. $120. Should be worth it.
 
But some of that excitement went away when I talked to a real DJ. And a very good DJ at that. I can't remember his name; he was just my friend's friend. Anyways, he started talking about DJ Hero. I told him I was excited about it, and he said it looks sweet. But he's not going to get it. He later showed me some of his equipment and explained why.
 
His main reason was the songs. They weren't all that creative, from what he saw of it. Like on the commercial, with Eminem and Jay-Z. He said he didn't find the song all that good. He even showed me that any Hip Hop, Rap, or both genres mixed together was fairly easy to mix. Then he went on to show me a more complicated mix, dance and hip hop. It was pretty catchy, better than what we heard on the commercial.
 
His next reason wasn't so relevant, but was nevertheless good. His full time hobby is DJing. He has over 80,000 songs and broadcasts 24/7, with mixes over 29 hours long. Pretty impressive, his career.

To be fair though, he did add that it would be fun for anybody who would want to DJ. But he also said he'd rather wait for the next one. So would I.
 
Then again, maybe I should still have hope that I will enjoy it when I purchase it. But then again, maybe it'd be funner to DJ for real. There's some food for thought.
 
Your thoughts?

#2 Posted by Blaufeld66 (4 posts) -

Sorry but I don't care for the opinion of a real DJ on this game,the same I don't care for the opinion of a real guitarist about GH or RB or whatever. Is this game fun? Yes, so my $$$ are well spent :)

#3 Posted by MildMolasses (3218 posts) -

The problem you seem to have is allowing this guy to make you believe that this is somehow a DJ sim, which it isn't. The songs may not be that hard to do in reality, but that isn't what this game is going for. It's just a good time with a weird controller
#4 Posted by GamerGeek360 (1959 posts) -

I want to play it but I probably won't buy it. At least not at the moment. I do have a good chance of winning it from a local newspaper near me. Other than that though, I don't really care.

#5 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -
@MildMolasses said:
" The problem you seem to have is allowing this guy to make you believe that this is somehow a DJ sim, which it isn't. The songs may not be that hard to do in reality, but that isn't what this game is going for. It's just a good time with a weird controller "
Well, the main point I'm trying to make is that just like with Guitar Hero and Rock Band, if you are a DJ in real life, you'd probably find it funner to DJ for real than in DJ Hero.
#6 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

I hate DJs that are not real DJs, namely the assholes that go to "play" in a club, and all they do is switch out one guys Macbook for anothers.  Its retarded, they just have play lists or mixes they have gotten off the net and play them, calling themselves a DJ, when all they do is hit play.  Only a few times have I see a guy actually working a turn table and creating or play mixes on the fly.

#7 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" I hate DJs that are not real DJs, namely the assholes that go to "play" in a club, and all they do is switch out one guys Macbook for anothers.  Its retarded, they just have play lists or mixes they have gotten off the net and play them, calling themselves a DJ, when all they do is hit play.  Only a few times have I see a guy actually working a turn table and creating or play mixes on the fly. "
Rest assured, the man I talked to was a real DJ. He even did a few mixes for me, very good mixes I may add.
#8 Posted by jaklap (110 posts) -

A 29 HOUR LONG SONG? What?!?!?!

#9 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -
@jaklap said:
" A 29 HOUR LONG SONG? What?!?!?! "
I would hope you understand that just one of his many playlists is 29 hours long.
#10 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -
@damnboyadvance said:
" @MildMolasses said:
" The problem you seem to have is allowing this guy to make you believe that this is somehow a DJ sim, which it isn't. The songs may not be that hard to do in reality, but that isn't what this game is going for. It's just a good time with a weird controller "
Well, the main point I'm trying to make is that just like with Guitar Hero and Rock Band, if you are a DJ in real life, you'd probably find it funner to DJ for real than in DJ Hero. "
Well sure, more freedom for your creativity usually leads to more fun. I bought it as a game, it's really fun, also I downloaded the soundtrack, and even if the remixes weren't hard to make, their good to listen to
#11 Edited by jaklap (110 posts) -
@damnboyadvance: Gotcha. you made it sound like it was one song. "mixes over 29 hours long" 
Sounded a bit weird to me =|
#12 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -
@addictedtopinescent said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
" @MildMolasses said:
" The problem you seem to have is allowing this guy to make you believe that this is somehow a DJ sim, which it isn't. The songs may not be that hard to do in reality, but that isn't what this game is going for. It's just a good time with a weird controller "
Well, the main point I'm trying to make is that just like with Guitar Hero and Rock Band, if you are a DJ in real life, you'd probably find it funner to DJ for real than in DJ Hero. "
Well sure, more freedom for your creativity usually leads to more fun. I bought it as a game, it's really fun, also I downloaded the soundtrack, and even if the remixes weren't hard to make, their good to listen to "
Well sure, they are a good listen in my opinion as well. Just don't go thinking it took extreme talent to make it though.
#13 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -
@damnboyadvance said:
" @addictedtopinescent said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
" @MildMolasses said:
" The problem you seem to have is allowing this guy to make you believe that this is somehow a DJ sim, which it isn't. The songs may not be that hard to do in reality, but that isn't what this game is going for. It's just a good time with a weird controller "
Well, the main point I'm trying to make is that just like with Guitar Hero and Rock Band, if you are a DJ in real life, you'd probably find it funner to DJ for real than in DJ Hero. "
Well sure, more freedom for your creativity usually leads to more fun. I bought it as a game, it's really fun, also I downloaded the soundtrack, and even if the remixes weren't hard to make, their good to listen to "
Well sure, they are a good listen in my opinion as well. Just don't go thinking it took extreme talent to make it though. "
or maybe im just making up excuses for buying it cause daft punk are involved
#14 Posted by damnboyadvance (4060 posts) -
@addictedtopinescent said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
" @addictedtopinescent said:
" @damnboyadvance said:
" @MildMolasses said:
" The problem you seem to have is allowing this guy to make you believe that this is somehow a DJ sim, which it isn't. The songs may not be that hard to do in reality, but that isn't what this game is going for. It's just a good time with a weird controller "
Well, the main point I'm trying to make is that just like with Guitar Hero and Rock Band, if you are a DJ in real life, you'd probably find it funner to DJ for real than in DJ Hero. "
Well sure, more freedom for your creativity usually leads to more fun. I bought it as a game, it's really fun, also I downloaded the soundtrack, and even if the remixes weren't hard to make, their good to listen to "
Well sure, they are a good listen in my opinion as well. Just don't go thinking it took extreme talent to make it though. "
or maybe im just making up excuses for buying it cause daft punk are involved "
I'll take it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.