Seems like it'd be difficult to play.

#1 Posted by Krelwy (27 posts) -

Has anyone already played any of the Asian versions, or just otherwise had any hands on experience with this game? If everything is on the touch screens, I feel like playing the game while just holding it would be really hard. I can't help but feel it'd have a similar effect as the Kid Icarus game on 3DS. Theres no way you could reach everything on the screen with just your thumbs, and I've seen footage from harder difficulties where using only one hand seems impossible. You'd need a stand or something to be able to play the game well at all :\

#2 Posted by redyoshi (114 posts) -

Most videos I've seen of higher difficulty play show the player with their Vita on a table, using their index fingers to tap/slide notes, and that seems to work just fine. I was skeptical about this game until I found out about that method. I can't even imagine trying to playing this on a bus or something, seems pretty much impossible with just thumbs.

#3 Posted by ervonymous (1233 posts) -

It's definitely not a game to be played with thumbs, a necessary trade-off for a more faithful experience. Thankfully you don't have to use the rear touchpad, that alone would've killed my interest. Those early preview videos scared me.

#4 Posted by nohthink (1222 posts) -
@Krelwy: so the only experience I had with this game is base on the actual arcade machines. If they faithfully transferred the game to the Vita, it is not a two thumb game because sometimes there are two things happening at the same time on both sections(top and bottom) of the screen. Or sometimes it requires two fingers on one section of the screen. I'm weirdly excited for this game. I have always been a fan of DJ Max so yeah... Good for me, I guess
#5 Edited by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@nohthink said:

@Krelwy: so the only experience I had with this game is base on the actual arcade machines. If they faithfully transferred the game to the Vita, it is not a two thumb game because sometimes there are two things happening at the same time on both sections(top and bottom) of the screen. Or sometimes it requires two fingers on one section of the screen. I'm weirdly excited for this game. I have always been a fan of DJ Max so yeah... Good for me, I guess

Oh it's not two thumbs. You play this game with it laying down or propped up in a cradle. You should look up some max difficulty songs on Youtube. Pretty crazy. It's also delayed 2+ more weeks now apparently.

#6 Posted by Krelwy (27 posts) -

yeah I figured you'd have to play it like that. I'm sure the game is great and fun to play, just seems unfortunate that its portability is basically null on harder difficulties, if not all. oh well, i usually sit at my desk and play vita anyway.

#7 Posted by nohthink (1222 posts) -
@Yadilie said:

@nohthink said:

@Krelwy: so the only experience I had with this game is base on the actual arcade machines. If they faithfully transferred the game to the Vita, it is not a two thumb game because sometimes there are two things happening at the same time on both sections(top and bottom) of the screen. Or sometimes it requires two fingers on one section of the screen. I'm weirdly excited for this game. I have always been a fan of DJ Max so yeah... Good for me, I guess

Oh it's not two thumbs. You play this game with it laying down or propped up in a cradle. You should look up some max difficulty songs on Youtube. Pretty crazy. It's also delayed 2+ more weeks now apparently.

WHAT??!!! DELAY??!! ARGH!!!! I was waiting for this game!!!
#8 Posted by redyoshi (114 posts) -

That's pretty disappointing. I was going to pick this game up next month anyway with that $20-back PSN thing, but I was hoping to read some impressions before that.

#9 Posted by Whoomp (4 posts) -

@ervonymous: I actually find it much easier to use the rear touchpad. For one, your hands don't get in the way of the screen like it does when you are forced to have both hands on there. It also doesn't demand any accuracy in finger placement and only considers timing. The only problem is to hold the darn Vita in a comfortable way, I still can only do a couple of songs until my hand cramp up.

#10 Posted by Hampe (166 posts) -

I play with the front screen. It takes some time getting in how you're supposed to put your fingers for optimal playing on the harder levels. I'm using my Vita taped against my tablet (lol) so I have some more space that it doesn't move around on when playing atm.

So far I'd say this is the best reason to own a Vita for the moment.

Bought the Korean version! Loving it! You can always add me on PSN if you want to compare scores etc. I'd be glad to!

#11 Posted by mthe1337one (198 posts) -

As excited I am for this game to come out on Vita (especially since I've tried this game in arcades and failed miserably, losing quarters in the process), I'd love to see a standard DJ Max Portable game made for the system.

#12 Posted by Sammo21 (3037 posts) -

Have we gotten confirmation on this coming out? I don't even see it listed on Gamestop.

#13 Posted by Sammo21 (3037 posts) -

Scratch that, just found this.....

https://www.facebook.com/djmaxofficial/posts/427139704014301

#14 Posted by Salesmunn (75 posts) -

It may be a blessing to have this game delayed, there are tons of games hitting for the Vita right now and this would get lost in the shuffle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.