Adam Sessler: 3 out of 5

• 185 results
#101 Posted by Bane122 (786 posts) -

Well, guess I know I can't trust Brad to give an honest, proper review anymore.

Shame... I always liked that kid.

#102 Edited by cloudymusic (1103 posts) -

@august said:

My prediction: Brad gives the game 4 stars and we NEVER HEAR THE END OF THIS CRIME

Weeeelp.

#103 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -

@RockyRaccoon37 said:

But saying that the game doesn't live up to what the director was suggesting in interviews is irrelevant.

I'm sorry, how exactly is this considered irrelevant?

#104 Posted by brownsfantb (391 posts) -

Last I checked, 3 out of 5 is above average. Sure it's not a glowing review but it's not a shitty one either.

#105 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -
@brownsfantb

Last I checked, 3 out of 5 is above average. Sure it's not a glowing review but it's not a shitty one either.

No, 3 out of 5 is merely average.
#106 Posted by Danteveli (1174 posts) -

Combat is not bad and some parts of level design are cool but I'm with Sessler on the story and characters part. Its just irritating half of the time. Still its quite well done slasher and nothing like that is on the market right now.

#107 Edited by Superfriend (1541 posts) -

Are we judging the writing of Devil May Cry games now? I don´t know about you guys, but this series always seemed a little silly to me. Like, I never ever actually paid close attention to the "mythology" behind it.

You know why? Cause that part is fucking stupid and- at least in my opinion- not meant to be taken seriously. The gameplay however is. Same type deal for me with Bayonetta. I just thought the story was hilariously bad. Didn´t break the deal for me though. I know great storytelling and "writing" as people like to call it can enhance games, but a good game sure as hell doesn´t need any of it. Well, different tastes I guess. I will probably never be able to wrap my head around the mindset some people have when it comes to story in games.

That´s not to say Sessler doesn´t have some legitimate points in his review.. Idk, maybe good storytelling gets rewarded a little too much by the gaming press these days, while "bad" storytelling gets punished a little to much.

#108 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

I didn't know I typed gamefaqs.com into the url bar.

#109 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

In Sess I trust. Of course I will rush to agree with him because I think that emo ass main characters are fucking stupid. hey a game is supposed to make me feel right? It makes me feel like anyone who thinks that shit is cool is an idiot.

#110 Posted by Stink_Meaner (60 posts) -

The Phantom Menace wan't that bad.

#111 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

Visuals can make an average game for some people a great game for others. So the differences in opinion don't seem off base here.

#112 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -

@Superfriend: The thing is, NT has stated in several interviews that they WANT this new game to be taken seriously, and often insulted the old games and their fans because it didn't fit their vision of what they considered "cool" or whatever.

#113 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@brownsfantb

Doesn't it depend on mathing out all the reviews you've written and such?

#114 Posted by BBAlpert (1438 posts) -

@Trilogy said:

@BBAlpert said:

I think you mean he gave it a 3...

...out of 5.

I was surprised at how he emphasized it the same way he did back at X-Play.

Wait, did he actually do that in this new video? I was just joking, but haven't watched it yet. Oh that Adam, what a card!

#115 Posted by Zrais (144 posts) -

"I like people who agree with me".

#116 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@CaptainTightPants said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just curious what makes Sess-money right and every other review who liked it wrong?

See here for your answer:

@drag said:

all reviews i agree with are great

all reviews i disagree with are written by awful people who were probably bought out and don't know a goddamn thing about anything

And with this post, the thread is over.

C'mon guys... this thread was resolved on the first page. *see above

#117 Edited by PsYuSoFly (97 posts) -

@SagaciousJones said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRyN6qUZ9Mc&list=WL28EFF34FD231AB0F

-Fast dynamic combat

-More accessible than previous DMCs

Dislikes

-Story is inspid

-Writing is embarassing

-Later levels are lacking

Glad to see a proper honest critique from a respectable gaming journalist. Pretty much every other mainstream review site is blindly praising the "bold energetic" redesign.

Some choice quotes:

"A main character who, while original, is every bit an empty adolescent power fantasy. Hell may not be other people; it may be just spending 15 hours with him."

"To be fair, Ninja Theory has made this the most understandable DMC game, but it works to the game's disadvantage because it highlights how uninteresting it is."

"Nearly every line of dialog set my teeth on edge. It's adolescent, it's puerile, and it's nowhere near as sassy and clever as the game thinks it is."

"A good game lost in a juvenile tantrum. It may be acceptable to a unique demographic, but for many others, it's a game you might want to play when no-one else is around."

And since I've played the demo to see just how shallow the combat is (maybe it's impressive to people who play God of War or something), I've had pretty much every one of my biased expectations confirmed. Thanks Ninja Theory!

I love how you agree and respect Adam's review, then you actually cancelled out one of the things he said he likes (Fast dynamic combat) by saying played the demo and disliked it. You basically just pointed out how people can have different opinions in your own post. Nobody is forcing you to play DMC, but at least make since in your post instead spending 90% of your day trying to find the bad review, then agree with it, then disagreeing with what you felt is an accurate review. And to be honest I don't recall any DMC's having a great story, great writing or amazing level design or depth.

#118 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -
@Video_Game_King

@Hailinel said:

@brownsfantb

No, because in a scale of 1 to 5, 3 sits right in the middle.
#119 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hailinel:

Which doesn't mean jack shit if you give out all 2s.

#120 Posted by VoshiNova (1676 posts) -
#121 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

You should have quoted one of the last things he said; something to the effect of

i'm pretty sure review scores are going to be all over the map

meaning people will like it differently based on their tastes with respect to the tone.

#122 Posted by PandaBear (1355 posts) -

@drag said:

all reviews i agree with are great

all reviews i disagree with are written by awful people who were probably bought out and don't know a goddamn thing about anything

QFT

#123 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel:

Pssh. Logic. There's no room for such things here. DMC games are serious business.

#124 Posted by brownsfantb (391 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Video_Game_King

@Hailinel said:

@brownsfantb

No, because in a scale of 1 to 5, 3 sits right in the middle.

What about the elusive 0? That would make 3 just above average. Review scores are dumb anyway. The only scale that matters to me is how close to Warioware the game is.

#125 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

Lets all head over to Rev3 so we can hiss and scorn in the comment section how we don't like anything other than a 6/5 review score since not even Brad can escape from giving a perfect score.

#126 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@SagaciousJones said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRyN6qUZ9Mc&list=WL28EFF34FD231AB0F

-Fast dynamic combat

-More accessible than previous DMCs

Dislikes

-Story is inspid

-Writing is embarassing

-Later levels are lacking

Glad to see a proper honest critique from a respectable gaming journalist. Pretty much every other mainstream review site is blindly praising the "bold energetic" redesign.

Some choice quotes:

"A main character who, while original, is every bit an empty adolescent power fantasy. Hell may not be other people; it may be just spending 15 hours with him."

"To be fair, Ninja Theory has made this the most understandable DMC game, but it works to the game's disadvantage because it highlights how uninteresting it is."

"Nearly every line of dialog set my teeth on edge. It's adolescent, it's puerile, and it's nowhere near as sassy and clever as the game thinks it is."

"A good game lost in a juvenile tantrum. It may be acceptable to a unique demographic, but for many others, it's a game you might want to play when no-one else is around."

And since I've played the demo to see just how shallow the combat is (maybe it's impressive to people who play God of War or something), I've had pretty much every one of my biased expectations confirmed. Thanks Ninja Theory!

Oh hey, this guy played the demo, so he agrees that the 'later levels are lacking', and that the 'Story is insipid.'

#127 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel:

In which case, why are you scoring the reviews at all?

#128 Posted by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

@Trilogy said:

@BBAlpert said:

I think you mean he gave it a 3...

...out of 5.

I was surprised at how he emphasized it the same way he did back at X-Play.

Wait, did he actually do that in this new video? I was just joking, but haven't watched it yet. Oh that Adam, what a card!

Yep, he totally did. Check it out if you haven't already.

#129 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hailinel:

You're missing the point. I'm saying that averages are defined mathematically, and your own applications only hold true if they match up. Or something like that. The first clause was strong enough.

#130 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

GRRRR I HATE WHEN PEOPLE LIKE THINGS

#131 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

@Trilogy: this review is brought to you by Slim Jim

#132 Edited by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

@SagaciousJones said:

Some choice quotes:

This guy was on Weekend Confirmed giving high praise to the genius writing of Borderlands 2 yet this is adolescent and juvenile to the point of being insipid? Anyways, review sounds like everything that actually matters in this genre of game is well executed and the only actual gameplay knock is that skill is required in later levels, stopping you from button mashing your way to success. Sign me up.

#133 Posted by tyler1285 (175 posts) -

@sickVisionz: Man, are you sure he liked the writing in BL2? Haven't listened to that podcast since it started but damn that's embarrassing if it's true. Maybe the comic bookish art style of Borderlands made him hate it less or something.

#134 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Makes sense, looks like the divisive issue is going to be the style and story of the game. Brad liked it so higher score, Adam didn't so lower score.

#135 Posted by ripelivejam (3784 posts) -

y u keep going thread?

#136 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

y u keep going thread?

Just go back to your magazines, Scruffy.

#137 Posted by l4wd0g (1933 posts) -

3 -5 brought to you by Slim Jim

#138 Posted by Superfriend (1541 posts) -

@Nettacki said:

@Superfriend: The thing is, NT has stated in several interviews that they WANT this new game to be taken seriously, and often insulted the old games and their fans because it didn't fit their vision of what they considered "cool" or whatever.

Well, my guess is that even the original games were not created to be intentionally corny. I honestly think some of the leading devs on Devil May Cry 1-3, Resident Evil, PN.03 or even Vanquish are taking their stories seriously. At least to a certain degree.

The point I take away from all this is that nowadays everyone´s not just a critic. Everyone´s a movie critic. And while there are some games that satisfy those people, I think they are letting themselves be distracted a little too much by constant, constant examination of video game "writing" and "story archs" and "character development". Some of these guys honestly come across as people who don´t want to be in the business writing about games. They want to write the games themselves. Or movies or books.

Yeah, I guess for somebody in that position "bad" writing in video games must sting extra hard- and of course there are the thousands of mindless users who will all of the sudden care for things like story and characters and character development- even if they have no freaking clue what this stuff is actually about. Hint to those people: Watching a Tarantino movie once does not make you an expert film critic.

#139 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

First its crap, then its edgy. Now it's amazing to some, absolute garbage to others.

Business as usual right? 

I liked the demo and the fans of the series I know personally seem to be having a great time with it. So, mission complete.

#140 Posted by DeF (4855 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm just curious what makes Sess-money right and every other review who liked it wrong?

The reviewer who says what "you" want to hear is always the one who's right and all the others are wrong and dishonest. Are you new to the internet? :D

#141 Posted by Winternet (8014 posts) -

Man, the Internet is getting a jump start on everyone else on the race for 2013 Worst Trend / Take A Break / “Check Yourself Before You Wriggety-Wreck Yourself” / Please Stop Award.

#142 Posted by Humanity (9048 posts) -

Sessler actually took the exact approach I was kinda thinking Brad would take. Dante is in a strip club in the beginning of the game and there are strippers dancing on stage, how embarrassing for videogames everywhere. Surely this serious medium where we often curb stomp baddies into the pavement and mow down pedestrians without batting an eye is serious, artful, business. A lot of old school game "journalists" like Sessler seemed to have forgotten that games are basically entertainment and you just need to let go and have fun with it. If you can enjoy a Tarantino film with foul mouthed dialogue and lewd situations then theres no reason you can't do the same in a videogame.

#143 Posted by Lyisa (342 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I think the silly thing about the review is that its not really saying anything different than what other people are saying, its just weighs the story and character more heavily than other sites. There is also that Sessler took the more deplorable aspects of the story harder than other reviewers. The score itself in that regard seems meaningless, it just feels like people trying to confirm bias.

#144 Posted by Dark (378 posts) -

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? It scores highly so people are FLIPPING TABLES over it?

MY GOD, its like people just wanted to complain but because the game was as high as it could go on the score they all just said "FUCK IT" and decided to complain it was too high.

The internet is stupid.

#145 Posted by JacDG (2119 posts) -

@Winternet said:

Man, the Internet is getting a jump start on everyone else on the race for 2013 Worst Trend / Take A Break / “Check Yourself Before You Wriggety-Wreck Yourself” / Please Stop Award.

I thought it was the winner every year, but since you can't do that they just chose the second worst trend thingy?

#146 Edited by murisan (1119 posts) -

I love the morons posting that "I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE ONE TO FILL YOUR BLAHBLAHBLAH LIIIIIGHT" bullshit..

DMC4 had fantastic "bad" writing. This is an example of "self-aware so bad it's good:"

Also, did you hear the music starting up at the end, there? Yeah, the music has the same drive/metal behind it as "DmC," but without the horribly obnoxious screaming/growling lyrics.

#147 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -
@Superfriend

@Nettacki said:

Well, my guess is that even the original games were not created to be intentionally corny. I honestly think some of the leading devs on Devil May Cry 1-3, Resident Evil, PN.03 or even Vanquish are taking their stories seriously. At least to a certain degree.

The point I take away from all this is that nowadays everyone´s not just a critic. Everyone´s a movie critic. And while there are some games that satisfy those people, I think they are letting themselves be distracted a little too much by constant, constant examination of video game "writing" and "story archs" and "character development". Some of these guys honestly come across as people who don´t want to be in the business writing about games. They want to write the games themselves. Or movies or books.

Yeah, I guess for somebody in that position "bad" writing in video games must sting extra hard- and of course there are the thousands of mindless users who will all of the sudden care for things like story and characters and character development- even if they have no freaking clue what this stuff is actually about. Hint to those people: Watching a Tarantino movie once does not make you an expert film critic.

Writing in games is not immune from criticism, no matter how seriously the narrative is taken. MY went on record stating a desire to take DMC's story to a Shakespearian level and for the story to be taken seriously. They've opened themselves to more criticism.
#148 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@murisan said:

DMC4 had fantastic "bad" writing. This is an example of "self-aware so bad it's good:"

I'm perfectly aware of that. The reason I posted the DMC1 line instead of that is because it's 6 seconds instead of 2 minutes.

#149 Posted by Superfriend (1541 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Superfriend

@Nettacki said:

Writing in games is not immune from criticism, no matter how seriously the narrative is taken. MY went on record stating a desire to take DMC's story to a Shakespearian level and for the story to be taken seriously. They've opened themselves to more criticism.

Not from the gaming press. They should never ever care about whatever hype videos/blogs are being released before a game comes out. It´s PRs job to basically make everything look like the second coming of christ. It´s the gaming press´ job to not pay any attention to PR and just report on the damn games. If we start taking into account everything devs say before a game is released.. we´re in for a LOT of disappointing games. Take the old Bungie vidocs for Halo 3 for example or the talk leading up to Halo 2... dude, they promised a lot- probably because some guy behind the camera told them to sell their game a little.

#150 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -
@Superfriend Even so, that doesn't make tame narratives, writing, or characterization immune from criticism. Whether the critics at larger sites are properly equipped for such criticsm is another matter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.