Adam Sessler: 3 out of 5

• 185 results
#151 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

@Winternet said:

Man, the Internet is getting a jump start on everyone else on the race for 2013 Worst Trend / Take A Break / “Check Yourself Before You Wriggety-Wreck Yourself” / Please Stop Award.

Dude, the internet won that award before Giant Bomb was even a thing...

#152 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2120 posts) -

I will wait until everything comes out in the laundry. I dunno, I personally never rate anything 10/10, perfect....ect. Nothing is ever perfect. DMC1 was great, DMC2 was weird and disappointing, DMC3 was kind of hard but good, and DMC4 was awkward and hard in a bad way. It has been a very up and down series as far as i am concerned. I would have given DMC4 a 3ish out of 5.

#153 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@murisan said:

DMC4 had fantastic "bad" writing. This is an example of "self-aware so bad it's good:"

I'm perfectly aware of that. The reason I posted the DMC1 line instead of that is because it's 6 seconds instead of 2 minutes.

That is NOT the reason you posted that. You cherry picked arguably the worst line of any DMC game ever to make a "point." Get real.

#154 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@Hailinel And I just realizdd that should say game, not tame. Goddamn it, autocorrect.
#155 Posted by RockyRaccoon37 (468 posts) -

@murisan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@murisan said:

DMC4 had fantastic "bad" writing. This is an example of "self-aware so bad it's good:"

I'm perfectly aware of that. The reason I posted the DMC1 line instead of that is because it's 6 seconds instead of 2 minutes.

That is NOT the reason you posted that. You cherry picked arguably the worst line of any DMC game ever to make a "point." Get real.

FOLLOW THE MONEY

#156 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@murisan:

That point being "X-Play had a tendency to format their review endings as 'score, clip, out of five'". Like this.

#157 Posted by Chalian (212 posts) -

you guys

#158 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@RockyRaccoon37 said:

@murisan said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@murisan said:

FOLLOW THE MONEY

Genius.

#159 Posted by mrfluke (5347 posts) -

ah good another place thats ontopic to post this, figure with all the bullshit going around about the scores, people would appreciate this.

#160 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

Never played a DMC game in my life but his review seemed fair. Though I think he was a bit hard on the writing part because from what I gathered of the other games the writing has always been cheesy? Again I have never played them either.

#161 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

Critiquing the story of a hack and slash game? OK.

#162 Posted by Lazlow (122 posts) -

@OfficeGamer said:

Yeah! Because the past DMCs had such meaningful characterisation and a rich universe and fiction...

How people form have these crazy convictions about games they won't even try (especially when its a genre they like!) is crazy to me. But to judge a game on the merits of its own accomplishments.. too commonsense (and yes I know.. the internet)

#163 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Lazlow said:

@OfficeGamer said:

Yeah! Because the past DMCs had such meaningful characterisation and a rich universe and fiction...

How people form have these crazy convictions about games they won't even try (especially when its a genre they like!) is crazy to me. But to judge a game on the merits of its own accomplishments.. too commonsense (and yes I know.. the internet)

The game is not above having its narrative and characters critiqued just because of its genre.

#164 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

@Lazlow said:

@OfficeGamer said:

Sessler does address why the story is more off-putting. Ninja Theory gets praise for their stories, and has been hyping up that DmC would have a strong narrative.

#165 Posted by Camoufrage (84 posts) -

It's hard not to agree with Adam Sessler. He always seem to reflect how I feel about games along with many others I'm sure. He was the only thing that kept X-Play up back in the day.

On DmC's note, I don't own it but I have a friend who was hyped as hell for it and he let me try it today. This kind of game isn't really my forte unless it's Platinum Games, so I didn't like it much. Not that it was bad, though.

#166 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

DMC3 > DmC > DMC > DMC4 > DMC2

My ranking of DMC is not about how it compared at the time but how it compares in a modern context.

#167 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

Darn mobile site, also I'm comparing the games on a purely mechanical level. DmC clearly has the strongest story.

#168 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@august said:

My prediction: Brad gives the game 4 stars and we NEVER HEAR THE END OF THIS CRIME

The Prophecy Fulfilled.

#169 Posted by dudeglove (8297 posts) -
#170 Posted by rkofan87 (153 posts) -

@Lucifer: on x-play he gave dmc2 a 2 out of 5 but on ep thay gave it a 4 out of 5

#171 Posted by rkofan87 (153 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

I think you mean he gave it a 3...

...out of 5.

i love that lol

#172 Posted by Lazlow (122 posts) -

@Hailinel: @Apathylad: Sure, if this new DMC was hyped up for its story then its fair criticism if it doesn't deliver. However from what I've read a lot of the criticism against the game from fans is coming from the tonal shift and gameplay accessibility - not necessarily the story. I played DMC 1 and 3 at the time and I imagine the story wasn't considered the series' strongest selling point.

I haven't played this one yet so I don't want to make any serious judgement on the quality of the story, mechanics or anything else compared to the PS2 era titles. But the blasting the game has received from fans before and after the review has seemed kinda baseless.

#173 Posted by Mistzero (326 posts) -

@drag: just wanted to say I like your ragtime mouse avatar

#174 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

Lol you guys are ridiculous. Who cares?

#175 Posted by Alkaiser (366 posts) -

@Apathylad said:

Ninja Theory gets praise for their stories

And I don't know why. Good God Almighty, I don't understand why people liked the story of Heavenly Sword (which was complete trash) and Enslaved (which was mediocre at best.)

Just because there are realistic facial animations doesn't make up for ham-fisted dialogue delivered with all the enthusiasm of someone on xanax.

#176 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

@SagaciousJones said:

And since I've played the demo to see just how shallow the combat is (maybe it's impressive to people who play God of War or something), I've had pretty much every one of my biased expectations confirmed. Thanks Ninja Theory!

WTF is up with that comment.

#177 Posted by beeftothetaco (426 posts) -

So you found a review that doesn't challenge your preconceived notions? Congratulations.

#178 Posted by dyong (331 posts) -

I liked Sessler back in the day, and he used to be a tough reviewer so a 3 out of 5 is actually a pretty decent score considering he has rated many great games at 3 and 4. I'm amazed at people here taking offense at a 3 out of 5. I love the new DMC, but taking offense at decent to good scores is...?

#179 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

I absolutely love the first reply in this thread. That was just solid visual comedy

#180 Posted by DonPixel (2628 posts) -

@psylah said:

FUCK YOU

this

#181 Posted by Ben_H (3439 posts) -

I'm getting so much use out of this video. It is just too perfect for this stuff. Watch the whole thing. It is actually kinda genius.

#182 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

@drag said:

all reviews i agree with are great

all reviews i disagree with are written by awful people who were probably bought out and don't know a goddamn thing about anything

#183 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@dudeglove: That video has been played out over the past few days. It's not clever of anyone to post it at this point for any reason.

@Lazlow said:

@Hailinel: @Apathylad: Sure, if this new DMC was hyped up for its story then its fair criticism if it doesn't deliver. However from what I've read a lot of the criticism against the game from fans is coming from the tonal shift and gameplay accessibility - not necessarily the story. I played DMC 1 and 3 at the time and I imagine the story wasn't considered the series' strongest selling point.

I haven't played this one yet so I don't want to make any serious judgement on the quality of the story, mechanics or anything else compared to the PS2 era titles. But the blasting the game has received from fans before and after the review has seemed kinda baseless.

From some fans, sure. Other fans have legitimate problems with the game based on their time with it and have aired them intelligently. They just get lost in the cavalcade of stupidity. But whether people have a problem with the new tone, the gameplay changes, or the story, any element of the game can be criticized effectively if done with intelligence and a proper argument that doesn't come off as screaming, hysterical idiocy.

#184 Posted by AngeTheDude (700 posts) -

@SagaciousJones: Confirmation bias much?

#185 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@AngeTheDude: Eh, it happens occasionally. Guy gets banned. Guy creates antagonistically named alt account and goes on a rampage. Guy gets banned again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.