Anyone worried about the gameplay?

#1 Posted by Killroycantkill (1401 posts) -

Right off the bat I have to say I love the new style and the hipster-esq of Dante. I figured he would have been a hipster in his younger days based on the DMC3 Dante. But I am particularly worried about the gameplay.

Ninja Theory's last released game was Heavenly Sword and I can say the combat in that game was sub-par at best. Nothing really special about it. DMC is known for having over the top combos, weapon switching, all the good stuff. Do you think that Ninja Theory will be able to pull it off? I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but then I just remember the hat boxes from Heavenly Sword.

#2 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Gameplay looks alright to me. It's the Dante that worries me.

#3 Posted by Axersia (1615 posts) -

I could've lived with his new look had there at least be some guarantee of good gameplay, but Heavenly Sword is quite possibly the worst hack 'n' slash game I've ever played. I can still remember way back when GameSpot had Ninja Theory come over to demo the game, and all they could talk about was how beautifully animated whatshername's hair was. It was then and there that I knew Heavenly Sword wouldn't be for me, because Ninja Theory's vision of a good hack 'n' slash game is obviously very different from my own.

This is what DmC's director Tameem Antoniades had to say about the game, for example:

"We're taking a younger Dante that incorporates the youth culture of today, from fashion to music to street art, etc."

Yeah, I really don't give a shit -- how about you start talking about the actual game mechanics?

I can tell you right now, if DmC does not feature lock-on based Street Fighter-inspired combat, and requires me to use the right analog stick to dodge, I'll not even bother downloading the demo.

#4 Posted by StressedOutCat (239 posts) -

Why does Dante look like one of the characters from a Twilight Movie?

#5 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2483 posts) -
@Axersia said:
" This is what DmC's director Tameem Antoniades had to say about the game, for example:"We're taking a younger Dante that incorporates the youth culture of today, from fashion to music to street art, etc." 

Yeah, I really don't give a shit -- how about you start talking about the actual game mechanics?. "
Have to agree with you there, as far as Dante's new style goes I'll wait to see how it fits in with the rest of the game's aesthetic before making a permanent judgement but it doesn't concern me as much as the gameplay. I can get behind Ninja Theory changing the combat system too, but only if it really is for the game's benefit & what they're aiming for with a potential franchise reboot.
#6 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Just watched the new trailer.  Dante looks like some emo.  :/  As for gameplay, it probably will be solid.  I'm really excited to see a reboot for Devil May Cry, just his new look is dumb.

#7 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -

Not the gameplay, but Dante. He looks totally different and much lamer. It better be some impostor or something. 

#8 Edited by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -
@Axersia:  the funny thing is the director looks exactly like the new dante... :| somthing all kinds of shady about that

anyway snow on unity said there intention isnt to alienate fans of the old dmc series in anyway and too wait for more media before jumping on the hate train
#9 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5228 posts) -

No, the gameplay will be fine unless the go DMC 2 on it.  I just hope it's a 17 year old Dante who grays out at the end of the game and quits smoking in a cheesy ass cutscene.

#10 Posted by Rxanadu (507 posts) -

The only thing I can say about the look of the game is, "Why wasn't this 'Twilight?'  I would have watched that, at least."  Also, "Edmund is now a demon?!"

#11 Posted by Rxanadu (507 posts) -
@HandsomeDevil:  The twist is this is just Nero before the demon arm incident.
#12 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -

Definitely. Western developers making complex, nuanced beat 'em up combat? Yeah, and pigs can fly.

Then again, Duke Nukem Forever is coming out, so I guess anything's possible.

#13 Posted by markini6 (445 posts) -

I realize this is a ridiculous thing to say as it was a CG trailer, but I can't help but feel that the combat looked a little slow.

#14 Posted by cmglassmire (14 posts) -

heavenly sword wasnt good, dante looks like he just walked off the set of 21 jump street. am disappointed. 

#15 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

I just hated the little girl levels in Heavenly Sword, with her crossbow.

#16 Posted by RVonE (4628 posts) -

PlatinumGames should make the new DMC. I like Ninja Theory, but I don't think they should handle DMC. Unfortunately, there's nothing stopping that from happening at the moment.
#17 Posted by TheCappuccinoBandit (268 posts) -

I hope they try something new with the gameplay. I'm bored with the old DMC games now.

#18 Edited by phantomzxro (1571 posts) -

First off i would say I hate the new style just not a DMC game to me. But aside from that i could say l'm also worried about the gameplay. For one ninja theory are great at mocap stuff but the combat of the games feel more in line with god of war. Also judging by the trailer he seems to move much slower and also shoots much slower which is leading me to believe it will play more in line with a god of war type game which is a dealbreaker for me.
#19 Posted by ThePickle (4165 posts) -
@Rxanadu: Nero had white hair too. I debunk your theory. 
#20 Posted by gabha (355 posts) -

I'm the complete opposite from the OP, I have faith that the gameplay will turn out better than DMC4 but I absolutly hate the new look.

#21 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

the new look is cool. there is no real way to judge the combat obviously, but i really enjoyed heavenly sword's combat. that game was a lot of fun and enslaved is looking to be a really good one as well. if you look at the part of the trailer where dante grabs the car with his weapon right before he grabs the car, the thing in his hand changes. i think theyre gonna make it kind of like heavenly sword, where the weapon changes with your needs. i still think its rebellion, but maybe its a re-imagined version. all-in-all this looks cool and i want to know when its coming out(i know it wont be soon).

#22 Edited by Icemael (6316 posts) -

I just played the Enslaved demo, and I am no longer worried. I'm convinced the game will be a fucking travesty. It'll take a miracle for it to turn out even mediocre.

#23 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

It's probally going to be exactly like prototype and exactly 80% on gamerankings because that's all ninja theory is capable of.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.