Capcom Japan Urged Ninja Theory To Go Wild With The New Dante

• 166 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Devil May Cry's hardest of hardcore fans would like to tell you that Ninja Theory is throwing up a middle finger at Capcom (and fellow fans) with the radically different look of Dante in the Devil May Cry reboot. But it turns out that the original creators are the ones urging Ninja Theory to push the creative bar.  

In an interview with Develop, Ninja Theory's Nina Kristensen says Capcom Japan gave the studio full artistic freedom with the redesign. It even had to, at one point, tell the studio to "go crazy" with the character, after Ninja Theory submitted concepts that were deemed too conservative.

"The concepts for Dante went through a lot of different iterations," Kristensen said in the interview. "They went all over the place. We went really far out with some. The first time we sent our initial concepts to Capcom Japan, they said 'no, no you need to push it way further.'  

"Because, obviously, Dante is a big character for Capcom, we stuck fairly close to the original design template. But Japan said we needed to go much further, go crazy with it, and so we did." 

== TEASER ==The new-look Dante hasn't thrilled fans of the iconic character. A glance at the threads about the redesign in Ninja Theory's official DMC message board reveals the fervor of DMC fans and the disgust for the new slimmer, younger, and more industrial Dante. Some members are even offering to redesign the character themselves, as if Ninja Theory needs the help. Also, there's a lot of talk of a Twilight connection, but I haven't seen any new DMC videos with the werewolves and teenagers yet.

In the Develop interview, Kristensen added that Ninja Theory hopes that, with time, people will begin to like the redesign, as the game is to remain respectful of the franchise and its hack-and-slash mechanics. But I think fans need to be willing to show some respect in the first place for this to happen.

By the way, here's a look at the old Dante in Devil May Cry 3 for comparison (and ridicule) purposes: 

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Devil May Cry's hardest of hardcore fans would like to tell you that Ninja Theory is throwing up a middle finger at Capcom (and fellow fans) with the radically different look of Dante in the Devil May Cry reboot. But it turns out that the original creators are the ones urging Ninja Theory to push the creative bar.  

In an interview with Develop, Ninja Theory's Nina Kristensen says Capcom Japan gave the studio full artistic freedom with the redesign. It even had to, at one point, tell the studio to "go crazy" with the character, after Ninja Theory submitted concepts that were deemed too conservative.

"The concepts for Dante went through a lot of different iterations," Kristensen said in the interview. "They went all over the place. We went really far out with some. The first time we sent our initial concepts to Capcom Japan, they said 'no, no you need to push it way further.'  

"Because, obviously, Dante is a big character for Capcom, we stuck fairly close to the original design template. But Japan said we needed to go much further, go crazy with it, and so we did." 

== TEASER ==The new-look Dante hasn't thrilled fans of the iconic character. A glance at the threads about the redesign in Ninja Theory's official DMC message board reveals the fervor of DMC fans and the disgust for the new slimmer, younger, and more industrial Dante. Some members are even offering to redesign the character themselves, as if Ninja Theory needs the help. Also, there's a lot of talk of a Twilight connection, but I haven't seen any new DMC videos with the werewolves and teenagers yet.

In the Develop interview, Kristensen added that Ninja Theory hopes that, with time, people will begin to like the redesign, as the game is to remain respectful of the franchise and its hack-and-slash mechanics. But I think fans need to be willing to show some respect in the first place for this to happen.

By the way, here's a look at the old Dante in Devil May Cry 3 for comparison (and ridicule) purposes: 

#2 Edited by liquidcabbage (34 posts) -

why 

edit: I mean why not

#3 Posted by Navyseils (164 posts) -

I never could get into the DMC games, but for some reason GOW... loved it.

#4 Posted by steelknight2000 (447 posts) -

Game's lame either way.

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

All those people complaining... get a fucking life. 

#6 Posted by amir90 (2156 posts) -

haha, take that hardcore fans! :P

I am a fan and I am open to change.

#7 Posted by natetodamax (19207 posts) -

I wonder if there will be a /wrist button

#8 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4679 posts) -

At first I was not so sure about the re design, but now i'm all for it.
#9 Posted by Lucifer (263 posts) -

I thought you could kind of notice what  direction Capcom where going with Dante in DMC4. (cowboy boots, pants cough, cough) DMC1 and DMC3 where my favorite Dantes though in terms of design, I miss shirtless sexy Dante and his leather band bra.

#10 Posted by blaakmawf (543 posts) -

I see no problem with a re-imagining. The series was getting kinda tired anyway.

#11 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -
@liquidcabbage said:
" why "
because capcom felt the series was getting stale and because having a five at the end of a game title deters newcomers
#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

I don't know if I would call Dante "iconic", really, but I guess the general expectation is silver hair+red coat. Eh they got like half of that right, that's enough. 

The larger problem for me is between all these character action games, I'm kinda really burned out on the genre. I can handle fixed camera angles and button-mashing swathes of similar foes for only so long.

#13 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1143 posts) -

I really like the redesign, but then again I also have no particular affinity for the DMC series beyond the first game.

#14 Posted by Chibi_Kaji (170 posts) -

I'll be surprised if they don't change his design to something more like the older ones...

#15 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

I don't know.  I don't mind the re-design since it IS a reboot.  We'll just see if the gameplay and attitude is up to snuff.

#16 Posted by Jayzilla (2562 posts) -

fanboy fallout...GO!

#17 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

*wonders if this will blow up with -rawr- from -hardcore- fans... XP*

But at least it's said here, maybe the hate will stop until we get something to go off.. like gameplay.

#18 Posted by MrTom (16 posts) -

I would love to be excited by this... Why aren't I?

#19 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

If his hair was a bit more symmetrical I'd have no problem with the new design.

#20 Posted by yindotrunks (95 posts) -

I consider myself a pretty big DMC fan but I have no problem with this redesign. You can be a fan and still realize they what they were doing was getting stale.

#21 Posted by uberscooby (36 posts) -

I'm confident that Ninja Theory will make this a great game. I didn't care for any of the even games in the series when Capcom was behind the wheel. 

Just have to wait and see though.

#22 Posted by aButton (70 posts) -

Devil May Cry reached its zenith with DMC3. DMC4 was hell of gross and I like the new direction.

Mutha

fucka

#23 Posted by Fleshfeast (57 posts) -

Eh, he went from stereotypical Japanese androgynous male, to emo/scene Western androgynous male. Haven't been following the series up until now, and this redesign doesn't make me any more interested.

#24 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

so instead of going wild they make the character just like what a 15 year old japanese giggling school girl into Yaoi would think he would look like? Next up a gay scene with him and another androgynous dude in DMC5

#25 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

"Go wild" doesn't mean turn the franchise into a pile of shit.

#26 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

I mean, he is wearing a leather jacket and no shirt in his original form.  Now he has a shirt. 

This is an improvement.

#27 Posted by Poki3 (527 posts) -

I still don't get it why couldn't they just use someone else as a main character. Dante's dad comes to mind.

#28 Posted by Yummylee (21673 posts) -

Meh. I'm still cool with the new Dante, minus the face because modelled from lead developer yadda bladdy blarg. It's the gameplay I'm more interested in seeing how they handle. Maybe Ninja Theory will finally bring cooperative play to DMC.

#29 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

I had zero problem with the redesign from the beginning. I still have zero problem with it. The trailer was rad.
DMC fanboys need to chiiiiiill out. Old Dante, as cool as he was, was not the pinnacle of character design.

#30 Posted by handlas (2683 posts) -

looks fine to me.  I imagine if the new Dante were actually the original Dante design and the redesign were the white-haired version...everyone would be bitching as well.  Let's be honest here, the original Dante design is ugly as hell.

#31 Posted by Crank (1 posts) -

The fact that people are so hung up over the character design says a lot about the DMC franchise to be honest. All style, no substance.  

#32 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Yeah man go wild. Model Trish after your x girlfriend, that's weird, you're weird, go wild!

#33 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

And... cue inexplicably angry comments!

#34 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Crank said:
" The fact that people are so hung up over the character design says a lot about the DMC franchise to be honest. All style, no substance.   "
When people care more about one thing over another, its because that's all they care about. It has nothing to do with there not actually being any gameplay to comment on. Thanks for stopping in, some dude's alt.
#35 Edited by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

I've been ok with this redesign since watching the first trailer a few times back when it was first released, so at this point I don't want to hear any more about this game until they show some gameplay. It'll be way more interesting to see where they take that..

#36 Posted by Sedasys (149 posts) -

I never really liked DMC, but... seriously? That's not Dante. What the fuck, man?

#37 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -

I don't really care about his looks, just make sure that the gameplay is awesome like in previous DMCs.

#38 Posted by cooljammer00 (1758 posts) -

I heard some stuff about this from the Adam Boyes stream.  Turns out Capcom demanded a non-Japanese studio handle the DMC reboot.

#39 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" "Go wild" doesn't mean turn the franchise into a pile of shit. "
#40 Posted by DrRandle (1202 posts) -

I'm not a Devil May Cry fan, but in terms of design, I think the new one is an improvement over the old Pizza-kicking Dante. Dude was a total fop. This Dante looks grungier, and his look has WAY more personality.

And Twilight Connections? Really? He's more White Wolf than anything.

#41 Posted by PocketfullaButtholes (76 posts) -

DMC sucks anyways. The old look is pretty feminine with the light hair and now he's a skinny emo white boy with dark hair who probably hated high school. Bring back manly characters! Look at Leon from Resident Evil. Totally emo. I bet Chris beat him up in high school.

#42 Posted by Alucard_N7 (78 posts) -

Go crazy huh!?  Well still not impressed. 

#43 Posted by MachoFantastico (4703 posts) -

Reading the endless bitching from DMC fans about the new look as been hilarious. Devil May Cry 4 proved that the franchise seriously needed new ideas and I think Ninja Theory could do a good job. 

#44 Edited by Undeadpool (4944 posts) -
@DrRandle said:

" I'm not a Devil May Cry fan, but in terms of design, I think the new one is an improvement over the old Pizza-kicking Dante. Dude was a total fop. This Dante looks grungier, and his look has WAY more personality.  And Twilight Connections? Really? He's more White Wolf than anything. "

Agreed. Fanboys just need SOMEthing to gripe about and Twilght/emo are just two buzzwords that encapsulate things that are unpopular with the kinds of people who regularly visit the site. 
I wonder what they'll bitch about now that they've lost the ability to say Ninja Theory "ruined" the design.
#45 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" "Go wild" doesn't mean turn the franchise into a pile of shit. "
you haven't seen game play thus not pile of shit.
#46 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

I'm not as concerned with his look as I am with his attitude.  Everything I've heard and seen about new Dante is that he's just kind of an angry guy and that's all there is to him; which doesn't really appeal to me.  I liked 'overconfident', snarky, reckless, funny Dante.  I just have this concern that if the only thing they want to focus on for new Dante is angst and anger, then he'll just feel like a teenage Kratos. 

#47 Posted by Leadcat (262 posts) -

I have no problem with the redesign, and I can't wait for the game to come out and be great despite all this negativity. 

Hell after the load of 'meh' that was DMC4 the fans should be happy with this change of pace.

#48 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

So they asked them to go crazy, it went everywhere, and it still ended up almost exactly the same besides for the haircut. Yeah, right.

#49 Posted by ninjalegend (432 posts) -

If Heavenly Sword and Enslaved are anything to go by, I am psyched to see what they will do with this.

#50 Posted by Lazyaza (2184 posts) -

Man I like the dmc games n all and always had a soft spot for dante's particularly stupid personality, I mean when a guy is that arrogant and self obsessed you have to find it hilarious but seriously he was never a character I would have thought anyone would get very attached to either for his personality or his design.  I mean what are his defining features? a red coat, white hair and a big sword, that's it.   Its not like they took mario and made him a transvestite crocodile or some shit, just replaced one kind of dumb character with a different kind of dumb character.

All that matters is how the game plays and the dmc games never played that well, fun but shallow and very repetitive maybe but not anything special.    Now if NT can do anything I hope its make a game that is god damn awesome to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.