Chugging frame rate

#1 Posted by xyzygy (9890 posts) -

I haven't seen anyone else mention this but it got me a little worried about the game. I spent yesterday playing the game with my friend and getting to know the combat. It's a really cool game but I was constantly getting distracted by straight up bad framerate.

Now I know there were those people saying that this isn't true DMC because it's not 60 fps, and I think that's BS because 95% of console games are 30 FPS and they all work perfectly fine. What I'm talking about is noticeable chugs that actually get in the way of a game like this. His PS3 is only about a year and a half old and we always play other games on it, I don't think it's on it's way out or anything like that. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has been experiencing this as well? It's not unplayable per say, but it's just a little distracting sometimes.

I really want to get the game and I'm kind of hoping it's just his PS3 that might be breaking lol.

#2 Edited by StarvingGamer (7985 posts) -

I think I'm on chapter 12 and I can't remember a single instance of slowdown, and I'm one of those frame-sensitive fighting game maniacs. If the game ever chugged for me it was never serious enough to be memorable or impact my ability to zip around the screen going combo crazy.

EDIT: And I'm playing on PS3 as well.

#3 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

@xyzygy: The IGN review said that the framerate is significantly worse. I have played both versions and it does run better on the xbox.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21242 posts) -

@pompouspizza said:

@xyzygy: The IGN review said that the framerate is significantly worse. I have played both versions and it does run better on the xbox.

Figured. Fortunately I went with the 360 version anyway because Unreal games always tend to be noticeably worse on the PS3.

#5 Posted by pompouspizza (291 posts) -

@Yummylee: Yeah, towards the end of the game it got quite bad on ps3 so I traded in my copy for one on the 360 because I knew it will be a game I want to do everything in so if it runs better on 360 then it's worth it, I have now put 26 hours in to the game.

#6 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I am playing on 360 and have seen not a single frame rate issue.

#7 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

Yeah the ps3 demo chugged for me. It still played fine. But I've been geeking DMC 3 and 4 recently, so it was distinctly... Different.

#8 Posted by Zella (700 posts) -

Apparently the PS3 version suffers from some FPS issues but I just beat it on PS3 and didn't notice anything that bad. There were some audio glitches and texture pop during cutscenes but not that effected gameplay for me.

#9 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

@Zella said:

texture pop during cutscenes

I can't wait for UE4 to pretty much eliminate that damned texture pop-in. Hopefully.

#10 Edited by Quarters (1628 posts) -

PS3 version is definitely worse. 360 runs great. That comes from first hand experience with both released versions. Seemed like mainly cutscenes were bad though. Actual gameplay was smooth as far as I could tell. Only judging from the full first mission, however, in the PS3's case.

#11 Posted by Hemmelight (159 posts) -

Figures!

I much prefer the PS3 controller, but it looks like it will be Xbox for me. Framerate issues irritate me greatly. Thanks for the heads up, folks.

#12 Posted by GentlemanlyGentleman (319 posts) -

The PS3 version definitely has problems, I've encountered numerous frame rate hiccups along the way. None have been worse than the drop in the Succubus boss fight though. In that fight, the frame rate plummeted to the extent that it had fully locked up for a few seconds. It got a tiny bit better, enough to finish the fight. In it's most recovered state it seemed to be around 10-20fps. Thankfully this hasn't reared it's slow, choppy head again. But who knows what will happen later.

So yeah, if it's an available option get the 360 version or wait to see how it turns out on PC.

#13 Posted by xyzygy (9890 posts) -

Thanks for the info. I just watched that IGN review and I can see a huge difference in performance in their little comparison, that was exactly what I was experiencing albeit a little worse on my end. Maybe it's a mix of that and a dying PS3 or something.

I was going to get the 360 version anyway. I was thinking that it was just the game itself that had the bad framerate, and not just one version of the game. I thought we were past that :S

#14 Posted by Hailinel (23854 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

@Zella said:

texture pop during cutscenes

I can't wait for UE4 to pretty much eliminate that damned texture pop-in. Hopefully.

UE4 will actually increase the amount of texture pop-in and it will be labeled a bullet point.

#15 Posted by smokeyd123 (324 posts) -

@xyzygy: Weird. I've gotten to stage 9 on PS3 and haven't experienced any slowdown. The game did bug out once on the Succubus boss fight. She just stood there and wouldn't take damage.

I was a little peeved.

#16 Posted by GunstarRed (5021 posts) -

It's been fine for me on the 360. I don't think I've seen any slowdown outside of a couple of cutscenes.

#17 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

I finished the ps3 version last night , and the low framrate never stood out besides cutscenes . Darksiders 2 was a lot worse for me .

#18 Posted by Kratch (367 posts) -

@Hemmelight said:

Figures!

I much prefer the PS3 controller, but it looks like it will be Xbox for me. Framerate issues irritate me greatly. Thanks for the heads up, folks.

Yeah, this bums me out a little, too. I like the PS3 controllers much more for these types of games, but I'll probably get it on 360.

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -
@StarvingGamer

I think I'm on chapter 12 and I can't remember a single instance of slowdown, and I'm one of those frame-sensitive fighting game maniacs. If the game ever chugged for me it was never serious enough to be memorable or impact my ability to zip around the screen going combo crazy.

EDIT: And I'm playing on PS3 as well.

Same. During cut scenes I've had a few questionable moments but never during gameplay.
#20 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4329 posts) -

I'll definitely be getting this for PC then (and on sale for sure)

#21 Posted by Quipido (612 posts) -

I finished it on the 360 and in the mission 19 it got noticably worse. Didnt affect the gameplay,but I can see it bothering me on higher difficulties.

#22 Posted by Rafaelfc (1313 posts) -

I beat the game on 360 and didn't have any noticeable frame rate issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.