Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Definite Edition coming to PS4 & XB1 17th March, 2015.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Bullet points!

• 60 fps and 1080p resolution — It looks and feels super smooth to play.
    • Uprezzed Graphics — Including textures, characters, and cinematics.
    • Big Bundle of Content — The game includes DmC: Devil May Cry, plus all released DLC: Vergil’s Downfall campaign, 3 Dante skins, 3 Dante weapon skins, and the item finder.
    • New Skins — 2 new character skins. Devil May Cry 1 Dante and Classic Vergil.
    • Turbo Mode — Turbo Mode returns to the Devil May Cry series, with the game running 20% faster in this mode.
    • Hardcore Mode — Hardcore mode retains the experience of DmC, but with a throwback to the classic Devil May Cry games in terms of balance. In this mode, which can be toggled on all difficulty levels, the style system has been rebalanced to make ranking up much harder and ranks deteriorate much quicker. In addition, Devil Trigger doesn’t launch enemies into the air, parrying takes more skill, and all enemies hand out more damage.
    • Manual Target Lock — We’ve seen more requests for this than any other feature! The manual target lock works as closely to the classic Devil May Cry lock on as possible and has fully configurable controls.
    • Vergil Bloody Palace — Only second to Manual Target Lock in terms of the number of fan requests! This is a new Bloody Palace mode featuring 60 levels and Vergil as the playable character.
    • Must Style Mode — This is a hardcore modifier on an epic scale that can be played over any difficulty level. Players must be at an S rank or higher to deal any damage to enemies.
    • Gods Must Die Difficulty Mode — This is DmC Definitive Edition’s hardest difficulty mode. It takes DmC’s ridiculously hard Dante Must Die mode and adds a touch more punishment: All enemies spawn with Devil Trigger active and no items or health drops can be used.
    • Rebalanced and Retuned — We’ve studied fan feedback and made a whole host of tweaks and balance changes. The style system has been rebalanced, as have bosses. Exploits have been fixed in combat and some of Dante’s moves rebalanced, such as the Demon Evade. Gameplay tweaks have been made following hardcore player testing; frames have been removed from Kablooey shots, Parry/Evade windows adjusted, and collectibles, keys and doors redistributed.
    • Integration of Popular Community Mods — DmC Definitive Edition includes community mods such as an optional timer disable for Bloody Palace Mode, a triple dash for Angel Evade, and the ability to hit red and blue enemies with any weapon.
    • New Cutscene — an added cinematic scene that never made it into the original.

So... wow. That's actually quite a fair bit of remixing going on there. A lot of really great changes such as letting you attack those red/blue enemies with any weapon, more difficulty settings, manual target lock, Vergil Bloody Palace, Turbo Mode...

I was never of the ilk that seemingly hated everything to do with DmC personally, but I still thought it was a weak direction for the series to take, far as the gameplay was concerned. I didn't outright loathe it or anything, but it just didn't grab like DMC3 & 4 did before it. This version on the other hand looks like Ninja Theory have actually been taking feedback on board, so that's really cool to see. I have to admit, they've certainly piqued my interest and I may double-dip on DmC for PS4. I only completed it once on 360 before I shelved it, so it's been so long as it is anyway that there's a lot I'm beginning to forget.

This is all also speaking for its PS4 version. As it's all been listed on the PS Blog then it's no surprise there's no mention of an XB1 version. However considering the relationship that's been established between Capcom and Sony lately, I wouldn't be too surprised to find if this version of the game will indeed be exclusive to PS4 as far as consoles are concerned.

EDIT: It is indeed coming to XB1, too! For $40 at that, which seems fair. Also, DMC4 Special Edition... wot. Well OK then?? The streak of Capcom re-releasing all their old games continues. RE5 REmaster next?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

• Integration of Popular Community Mods

I hope they mean this.

Loading Video...

Heh.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

This is pretty cool, was on my top 10 games of 2013 list would not mind playing it again.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Interesting that they've actually listened to criticisms. Vergil usuable in Bloody Palace? Count me in.

They're also remastering DMC4 which is really weird.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Other than the character and story which I understand some fans still won't like, this sounds like the kind of game they've always wanted. Lock-on targeting, harder difficulties and a higher bar for getting S ranks.

If it turns out well...YOU SHOULD ALL PLAY THIS GAME. Or just be bitter and stuck in your ways, whatever.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

GOTY 2015

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By supermonkey122

I really hope they make a sequel to this.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@brendan: Do we really have to get into this again for the millionth time? DMC fans come for the gameplay, not as much for the story. Ninja Theory had the gall to NOT implement the series' staple; the fun and diverse style system. I could write an essay on how much gameplay specifics they left out, all of them together made DMC as a franchise stand out from other cookie-cutter Character Action games. In an attempt to appeal a broader audience that doesn't put in the time to learn the more intricate gameplay mechanics, they left out the core essence of DMC. I'm really sick explaining this over and over, us 'haters' are not stuck on emo Dante or whatever.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Other than the character and story which I understand some fans still won't like, this sounds like the kind of game they've always wanted. Lock-on targeting, harder difficulties and a higher bar for getting S ranks.

If it turns out well...YOU SHOULD ALL PLAY THIS GAME. Or just be bitter and stuck in your ways, whatever.

I'm super curious as to whether or not the massive boost in popularity of the Souls series and Bloodborne had any role to play in influencing this re-release.

DmC also apparently sold under expectations, so it makes sense that they're thusly trying to mend the ties with the hardcore crowd.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By hassun

Since I have DmC on PC, I'm more interested in that new version of DMC4. I wonder if that will come to PC/will be worth it.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this sells well. The way Vergil's Downfall ended just left me hanging....

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I NEED THIS.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brendan

@yummylee: Yeah the improvements all seem very specific in trying to bridge the gap between their take on DMC and the classic style of the series. With the success of recent remasters it seems like an inexpensive way to squeeze more money out of the game while building some goodwill over those anger callouses.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By conmulligan

@supermonkey122 said:

With Capcom's financials the way they are, I doubt they have the capital to fund a proper sequel. It would be an ideal game for either Microsoft or Sony to help fund and co-market, though. The first game didn't sell gangbusters by any means, but it seems to have a decent following despite the obnoxious pushback from fans of the previous games and critics fucking loved it so you'd expect a hypothetical sequel to get a decent amount of coverage.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's my Dragons Dogma 1080p 60fps port at? Where capcom!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yummylee

@conmulligan said:

@supermonkey122 said:

With Capcom's financials the way they are, I doubt they have the capital to fund a proper sequel. It would be an ideal game for either Microsoft or Sony to help fund and co-market, though. The first game didn't sell gangbusters by any means, but it seems to have a decent following despite the obnoxious pushback from fans of the previous games and critics fucking loved it.

Yeah, I'd hazard a guess that they're likely releasing all of these remasters (and the smaller scale Revelations 2) at least in part out of necessity, as they likely won't be able to start developing Resident Evil 7 or the new DMC proper without their theoretical profits.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@conmulligan: Microsoft already has Scalebound so unless they want to profile the XB1 as a character action game platform, it's only logical for Sony to fund DMC5.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I've thought about revisiting this so many times now, I'm actually kind of glad this is happening.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@trafalgarlaw: Yeah; Sony has a relationship with Ninja Theory too so they would certainly be the obvious choice.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

The surprising thing about this is that its not even full priced. Well, to be fair DmC didn't even really have a lot of extra DLC that could be packaged with this to equal a full priced re-release but the amount of extra work for this edition is probably enough to warrant a full price

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

Fantastic news. I played through it multiple times on Xbox 360 and I would love to return to it once it comes out on on Xbox One, since 360 games aren't backwards compatible.

It's a shame that this won't have a sequel though.

misfittoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looking forward to this. I've heard good things about DMC but stopped buying last gen games in the months leading up to the new consoles. I'm the target market for a lot of these definitive editions. Will buy.

misfittoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Also, Ninja Theory is one of my favorite developers. I want to support them. Looking forward to Hellblade too!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Soooooo, PC?

Not sure if I'm gonna play this game again. It was fun at the time but eeeeeeh.

Pretty curious about the hardcore mode though. I doubt it would catch anyone who has already written off the game, but maybe it'll make it more fun to go back to. Though for me personally, the enemy types and compositions need to be more fun to make replaying any enjoyable, fixed style system or not. I only really liked fighting a subset of enemies in that game. A lot of them were just annoying. And the white elementals were all a chore.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@brendan said:

I'm super curious as to whether or not the massive boost in popularity of the Souls series and Bloodborne had any role to play in influencing this re-release.

Why would it? I'd say that Tomb Raider, Last of Us, Sleepy Dogs, and GTAV had more to do with the rerelease then anything.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

Eh, I just picked this up on 360 for 13 bucks. Seems like that'll be enough for my purposes. Hope the port turns out nice though.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

It would be great if they were patching all of this new shit into the old version, then I could save myself $40.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Swell. Might pick this up. Never bothered with the series but this edition seems to give it a jolt.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wampa1 said:

Where's my Dragons Dogma 1080p 60fps port at? Where capcom!

I'm still baffled as to how that hasn't even been released on PC yet. Capcom are usually really good as far as PC ports go these days, too.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These amazing enhancements and additions completely justify this remaster's pointless existence as far as I'm concerned.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I really hope it comes to PC. I really, really hope this comes to PC. DmC is one of my favourite games of the last generation.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@yummylee: Dragon's Dogma annoyed me to no end with convoluted menu's, limiting crafting at a blacksmith, having no mobility other than dishing out a lot of cash for teleportation. The gameplay holds up very nicely but the overall design is still a good decade behind. It's be a neat gimmick to have the game running at 60 fps but nothing else really. They'd better start making true on that Dragon's Dogma Online patent they just filed.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These amazing enhancements and additions completely justify this remaster's pointless existence as far as I'm concerned.

...err...

@yummylee: Dragon's Dogma annoyed me to no end with convoluted menu's, limiting crafting at a blacksmith, having no mobility other than dishing out a lot of cash for teleportation. The gameplay holds up very nicely but the overall design is still a good decade behind. It's be a neat gimmick to have the game running at 60 fps but nothing else really. They'd better start making true on that Dragon's Dogma Online patent they just filed.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Dragon's Dogma is a deeply flawed game, while also easily being one of Capcom's most legitimately interesting games in years. That said, with all of the adjustments they're making to DmC, I'd be really interested to see how they may then go about changing Dragon's Dogma.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

March? :/

I say, as a PS4 owner with interest in 1886, FF Type-0, Bloodborne, Disgea 5, Yakuza 0 and other March titles.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk: I don't think a remastered PSP port is worth your time to be honest...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.