DMC: Demo impressions

#1 Posted by cannonballBAM (603 posts) -

The Demo is live on XBLA. What do you think?

I ran into this issue when playing the Secret Ingredient section of the Demo, it was still really fun. (Sorry for the shaky camera)

#2 Posted by rubberluffy (465 posts) -

Mechanically it feels...okay. I just personally feel like something about it is off. I kinda find it hard to explain. Slow? Not as stylish? The usual stuff I'm used to doing (hightime>aerial rave>helmbreaker) didn't feel quite right. As someone who really liked playing as Nero in 4, I do appreciate the return of Devil Bringer style moves. Also that opening cutscene, every time Dante opened his mouth I wanted to just hit mute.

Overall it just made me want to go back and play Bayonetta.

#3 Posted by Ulquiorra (64 posts) -

I played it on the PS3 thought it was alright but there was some serious frame-rate issues during the cutscenes.

#4 Edited by RAMBO604 (137 posts) -

I thought it was great, it feels very fluid and it is more streamlined in chaining moves together than past games. Past DMC games had deep and stylish combat but you had to be a master at it to really do anything that looked cool or was very effective.

It ran perfectly on 360, that may just be a PS3 issue. And as for the cutscenes they are just compressed to hell and edited hastily for the demo. Not representative at all of the final game.

#5 Posted by Ataribomb (101 posts) -

To me it feels like a pretty solid action game, but I'd agree that something also feels a bit off. Combat just didn't have the same fluidity that I've come to enjoy out of games like this. Maybe it's the lack of a manual lock-on, or how (at least to me) dodge cancels weren't as responsive as I'd of liked, but things just felt much more rigid - combat just didn't pop.

@rubberluffy said:

Overall it just made me want to go back and play Bayonetta.

Exactly this.

#6 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

I liked it. Fantastic art style, fantastic animations, great boss battle. And as for the immediate need of Bayonetta again, I don't have that feeling. The game sure was fun, but the cutscenes and storyline were so horrible I ended up skipping most of them even on my first playthrough.

I'm really excited where this is going to, and that we're not getting a fifth Devil May Cry with archaic lock-ons, one-button combat and overall design. I really hated those bite-sized segments with score screens. But hey, that's me.

#7 Posted by RustySanderke (117 posts) -

While the attacks seemed to be a bit sluggish with a heavy emphasis on animation in comparison to previous games, I found it to be a very engaging action game. Darting around in a morphing environment was pretty cool. The cutscenes, however, made it quite clear that Unreal and PS3 still don't go well together.

#8 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

My opinion kind of changed on this game a bit when it comes to the ranking system and how easy it can get an SSS stylish ranking. Holding RT/R2 and dodging at the right moment will make Dante slow down and then glow red. When in this state, your stylish ranking will go up so easily. Incredibly easily if you do the stinger. And since you can pretty much get an S ranking+ on a whole level as long as you have your stylish meter on SSS, it kind of trivializes the whole system.

#9 Posted by BoOzak (937 posts) -

@RustySanderke said:

While the attacks seemed to be a bit sluggish with a heavy emphasis on animation in comparison to previous games, I found it to be a very engaging action game. Darting around in a morphing environment was pretty cool. The cutscenes, however, made it quite clear that Unreal and PS3 still don't go well together.

I thought the cutscenes were pre-rendered? I only say that because they looked very washed out compared to the rest of the game. (which is incredibly over saturated)

After spending a bit more time with the game I only came out liking it less. It feels very clunky to me. The combos are there, they just dont feel very satisfying to perform. Oh well, i'll still rent it.

#10 Posted by RustySanderke (117 posts) -

@BoOzak said:

@RustySanderke said:

I thought the cutscenes were pre-rendered? I only say that because they looked very washed out compared to the rest of the game. (which is incredibly over saturated)

After spending a bit more time with the game I only came out liking it less. It feels very clunky to me. The combos are there, they just dont feel very satisfying to perform. Oh well, i'll still rent it.

Some must be pre-rendered, but I doubt the choppy conversation ones with jaggy shadows flickering across Dante's face are pre-rendered.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (21789 posts) -

I enjoyed my time with it. Controls definitely had a learning curve and I'm still not entirely satisfied with how I'm stringing combos together, but I'm sure I'll learn. Does feel a little slower than previous games and the lack of a lock-on is... odd, but again for me this comes across as more of a transitional period than bad game design. The combat didn't grab me as much as DMC4's, but the demo gives the impression that the game's still going to be pretty good. Platforming, while a little finicky, is the best the series has had thus far and the way the environments morph and shift was awesome to watch in action.

Dante himself... acts like Dante, with a similar amount of silly one-liners and 'attitude'. I did like his reply to Kat when she tells him to run is ''I am running!'' because that's exactly what went through my mind during that segment.

However...

@Ulquiorra said:

I played it on the PS3 thought it was alright but there was some serious frame-rate issues during the cutscenes.

Yup and it makes watching the cutscenes a rather awful experience =/

I'm still not buying it day one, though, but that's solely because of that region-exclusivity preorder fuckery concerning the Vergil DLC and has nothing to do with the quality of the game itself.

#12 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2478 posts) -

Besides the god awful dialog, I think this will end up being pretty good, I had more fun playing this than playing Nero In DMC4.

#13 Posted by JonSmith (171 posts) -

Before the demo, my opinion was 'meh'.

Now, it's 'This could be kinda cool.'

So there's that.

#14 Posted by ESREVER (2695 posts) -

I can't stop thinking about this game. I realllllly wanna play the real thing right now.

#15 Posted by SASnake (342 posts) -

@BigBoss1911 said:

Besides the god awful dialog, I think this will end up being pretty good, I had more fun playing this than playing Nero In DMC4.

Saying it like DMC was a masterfully written series, bahahaha.

#16 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2478 posts) -

@SASnake said:

@BigBoss1911 said:

Im not saying they were written the best, but the constant profanity in this one is really out of place.

#17 Posted by SASnake (342 posts) -

@BigBoss1911 said:

@SASnake said:

@BigBoss1911 said:

Im not saying they were written the best, but the constant profanity in this one is really out of place.

The only constant profanity I can remember was the boss fight, but I think the profanity mainly came from the boss herself and thats probably just the way her character is.

#18 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -

loved it the boss level actually made me feel a little ill but in the best way, i love new Dante he really captures the attitude of the british public at the moment!

#19 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I really liked it I love the enviroment stuff is rare to see that stuff in games and I don't know why and the gameplay seems fine though I had a lot of troubles with the boss since they mapped the graple to the same buttons as the heavy weapons so a lot of times I ended up doing the wrong move, other than that feels very DMC alright they even gave this Dante Nero's devil bringer that's kinda cool.

#20 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@eclipsesis said:

loved it the boss level actually made me feel a little ill but in the best way, i love new Dante he really captures the attitude of the british public at the moment!

can you elaborate on that a bit?

#21 Posted by SpecDotSign (166 posts) -

Combat is alright. Just doesn't feel like a Devil May Cry game. Art style sucks as well. Dante's voice actor is pretty good, but the dialogue isn't great. I just dislike the choice to use the Unreal engine. I really dislike the way the Unreal Engine makes games look. All shiny and plasticy. I don't want to sound like an angry fanboy. I will be renting.

#22 Posted by xyzygy (10008 posts) -

I loved the combat, it seems like you can get pretty into it. I like holding down the triggers to switch weapons, it's so much easier than Dante's "stance" system from DMC4. There weren't many abilities in the demo but we can assume that you'll be able to purchase a lot more in the full version. Each weapon only really has 4 or so abilities in the demo and I still found the combat pretty deep so yeah. Pretty excited for this game!

#23 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -

@murisan: First Ninja Theory are a British dev last time i checked unless anything has changed since. In my opinion only there is this big feeling of just "Fuck you" in the British isles for the past 3+ years. Contributing factors most liklely the double dip reccesion, Tory/Liberal government, David cameron just being a complete and utter moron and the expenses scandal just to name a few. But never more in my lifetime has it felt like everyone just wants to say "Fuck you" to the establishment, i feel proven by the London and minor country wide riots last year. To me Dante in seems to be the very product of this tension, very similar in my eyes.

I dont know how my view seems or maybe im way off on it, but hey just a opinion.

#24 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@eclipsesis: fair enough I just don't really follow British politics/societal things close enough to know

#25 Edited by Crysack (320 posts) -

I thought it was atrocious. The combat is horrendously slow, the style system is broken - as is jump canceling, and the game only runs at 30 fps.

As someone who has played the DMC games over and over for years on end, I was not impressed at all. The description of this video (which was posted by Brea, one of the vets of the DMC combo competitions) says it all really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2vz5CJU8DM&feature=plcp

#26 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

I think that people completely pretend that 2 never existed and the fact that 4 was not THAT good. The combat was good, but the design was lazy and boring. You're playing as a new character through half of the game learning him, then you change characters and have to adjust to playing Dante. All these games are not perfect, it's cool that people don't like it but people are acting like this is the worse in the series when it is far from it. Especially people exaggerating on how "slow" the game actually is. It is slower and some of the animations aren't perfect but the only thing I agree on with most people when it comes to the criticism is the ranking system.

I would hope that these people who played the demo and don't like it would leave it be, cause it's not like it's the end of the series. But unfortunately we know that's not going to happen and some of the people that are complaining about the game now will still buy it anyway. And they'll continually give grief to the people who do end up enjoy it and consider them "not real" fans of the series because they do.

#27 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -

@murisan: Thats fine, in truth its probably me wanting it to be more than it is.

#28 Posted by Crysack (320 posts) -

@Sanious said:

I think that people completely pretend that 2 never existed and the fact that 4 was not THAT good. The combat was good, but the design was lazy and boring. You're playing as a new character through half of the game learning him, then you change characters and have to adjust to playing Dante. All these games are not perfect, it's cool that people don't like it but people are acting like this is the worse in the series when it is far from it. Especially people exaggerating on how "slow" the game actually is. It is slower and some of the animations aren't perfect but the only thing I agree on with most people when it comes to the criticism is the ranking system.

I would hope that these people who played the demo and don't like it would leave it be, cause it's not like it's the end of the series. But unfortunately we know that's not going to happen and some of the people that are complaining about the game now will still buy it anyway. And they'll continually give grief to the people who do end up enjoy it and consider them "not real" fans of the series because they do.

You're missing the point that, while DMC 4 had some lazy design decisions like tons of backtracking etc, the fanbase largely didn't mind because, at the end of the day, all that really matters in a DMC game is the gameplay and combo system - and DMC4's was the best in the series (and arguably the best system in any action game, ever).

#29 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@Crysack said:

@Sanious said:

You're missing the point that, while DMC 4 had some lazy design decisions like tons of backtracking etc, the fanbase largely didn't mind because, at the end of the day, all that really matters in a DMC game is the gameplay and combo system - and DMC4's was the best in the series (and arguably the best system in any action game, ever).

No, I didn't miss the point I just think people are too forgiving with that just because one aspect of the game is good. Obviously the game play/action is the main part of what makes these games, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a considerable amount of effort put into other aspects of the game. The series isn't going to hold if Capcom caters to people who want them to release DMC3 over and over again.

#30 Posted by Pujitsu (1 posts) -

From what I've played of the demo combined with knowledge of the game thus far, I still don't like the new Dante and Vergil redesigns, but I love the stylish and brutal action they have in this game. The soundtrack seemed alright, and the story seems pretty good and over the top. That's why I've also preordered the collectors edition of this game (it only set me back about $10-20 extra)

#31 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@eclipsesis said:

@murisan: First Ninja Theory are a British dev last time i checked unless anything has changed since. In my opinion only there is this big feeling of just "Fuck you" in the British isles for the past 3+ years. Contributing factors most liklely the double dip reccesion, Tory/Liberal government, David cameron just being a complete and utter moron and the expenses scandal just to name a few. But never more in my lifetime has it felt like everyone just wants to say "Fuck you" to the establishment, i feel proven by the London and minor country wide riots last year. To me Dante in seems to be the very product of this tension, very similar in my eyes.

I dont know how my view seems or maybe im way off on it, but hey just a opinion.

This game says "Fuck you" to the establishment, yet the game is published by the establishment (Capcom). Thus, it's inherently hypocritical. Also, the devs are saying "fuck you" to longtime fans of the series by putting down previous games and pretending this one will bring new life in the series, which I'm not entirely sure it will.
#32 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

movement and combat felt real good. faux smart ass attitude/ illuminati bullshit seemed really forced and not done well.

#33 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@Nettacki said:

@eclipsesis said:
This game says "Fuck you" to the establishment, yet the game is published by the establishment (Capcom). Thus, it's inherently hypocritical.

You realize that it is just the games storyline and not actually Capcom/Ninja Theory saying fuck you to the "establishment" themselves right? So it really isn't hypocritical at all.

#34 Posted by fujimitsu (23 posts) -

I actually kind of liked it "on paper" the art style and combat seemed interesting.

I just didn't enjoy actually playing it. It felt like a mediocre bayonetta clone without the bombastic-ness.

#35 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@Sanious: It actually is Ninja Theory saying it because they have a writer that's clearly making the story and relying on that sort of Aesop to carry the entire game's setting. Everything I've seen of the head honcho and some of his colleagues giving out interviews shows they don't give a fuck about the old DMCs when it would have been in their best interests to appeal to those fans. In a way, THEY are acting as the "establishment" that they so vehemently say "fuck you " to.
#36 Edited by Maitimo (203 posts) -

The anti-establishment message definitely feels pretty phony, but I think that's more to do with the limited perspective of the middle class men who're writing it (particularly relating to their ideas about rebellion, which are very Affluent Teenager) than anything else.

Demo was really lacklustre. I'm disappointed we're getting a game closer to Heavenly Sword than Devil May Cry. You've got stances (complete with the "have to match the colour" enemies), no lock-on, poorly implemented juggle mechanics, regular technical hiccups, weak enemy and encounter design, weird button set-ups (two dodges, dedicated launch button in lieu of style/bringer) - all of which you might reasonably expect in an iteration on HS. Sadly missing the thing that was good about that game: the surprisingly good sixaxis implementation.

Some of the things wrong with the demo could be better in the full game or fixed prior to release. But others definitely aren't fixable. Rental at best.

#37 Posted by Ingannation (7 posts) -

i love this ninja theory dmc

#38 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@Nettacki said:

@Sanious: It actually is Ninja Theory saying it because they have a writer that's clearly making the story and relying on that sort of Aesop to carry the entire game's setting.

Even if this is what the writer(s) that identify with the story and are writing it this way because of that, they don't represent all of NT right? And if it is NT writing it that doesn't mean that Capcom believes that either.

#39 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1497 posts) -

Seemed OK I guess. I own all of them, but this one just isn't for me.

#40 Posted by WMoyer83 (645 posts) -

Loved it.

#41 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Just played this, it was PRETTY SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've played like a hundred hours of DMC4. It's like a lifetime goal of mine to beat Bloody Palace survival mode, I go back to it a lot.

This demo starts on a very good note. The difficulty menu describes normal with the opening sentence "Enemies use core attacks"...
One thing that really impresses me with a lot of Capcom games, is that they really mix things up with Difficulty settings. In Devil May Cry if you play the game on higher settings, enemies will have new A.I. behavoirs and 1 or 2 fresh new attacks. That's a rare effort and does a lot to help the game feel new for longer, and for Ninja Theory to say they've done that right from the title screen is awesome.

Animations on Dante are really fun; including what his body's doing, what the camera's doing, and interface effects like the shine that indicates the combo has registered a pause. I stood in the opening area for a while and slashed around- holding Y and then releasing Y, Y, Y is an especially fun one.
I was wondering whether this would play like Nero or Dante. It has the charge-up shot that Nero had, and you can whip TOWARDS enemies AND whip them TOWARDS YOU whenever you want, which is a crazy toolset to get my head around. I think it's an extension of Nero, which is GREAT cos I think he's better than Dante. I do miss his sword making a motorbike noise, and his Devil Bringer finishers though :(
I love Nero so much. 
Oh and in DMC4 I dodged by holding a direction and jumping, but they moved it to be it's own input on the shoulder buttons... makes me want to just not use it.

Dialogue scenes seemed really silly in the way you want. A boss said "ffffFuck Yyouu."
then Dante said "fuck you!"
then the boss said "FFFFUCKK YYYYOUOOUUOUOUUUUU!!!!!!!!! bBlLLEUURURUGGGHHH!!!" so that was funny.
outside of that it was pretty lame though, so that's on-par with the other games at least. It's weird that Cortana was there. The scripted sequences were kind of just me falling off ledges a lot, I didn't like those.

I couldn't really tell if the controls or the enemies were any good, cos it's a new layout and I kept pressing the old inputs by accident. At least I can say that me being overwhelmed with the controls is a lot more promising than if I had got it straight away. I'm not really into the actual visual designs of the enemies so much, they seem really dirty and spindly. I like a more chunky, heavy reptile-monster or suit-of-armour to throw around, y'know?
I can give holding the triggers to switch weapons a big thumbs up. Having no lock-on button is strange.

Anyway yeah, long story short that was a great hour. I think worst case scenario is that this is a good game. I was skeptical that a new team could live up to DMC4 before, and now I am still skeptical, but only about half as much.
It was funny when I pressed Select and that menu popped up INSTANTLY, cos I was expecting it to take about 5 seconds like it used to.

#42 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (486 posts) -

Ok, I know i'm late to the party but I just played this on my PS3. The reason I have to admit is I was one of those people a little butt hurt over the redesign. I've always like DMC (never played 2) and the character Dante. I even liked 4. But I have to admit I really enjoyed this demo. Alot! I like Dante's new look and the world around him. The enemies look great. The thing that always hooked me with DMC is the action and how it just made you feel like a total bad ass. This game totally has that. Can't wait to play more!!

#43 Posted by TobbRobb (4666 posts) -

Late to the party here too. Let's begin my slight rant about the demo!

Okay let's get all the bad stuff out of they, fuck the character/enemy design and fuck whoever wrote the dialogue. Then also fuck the dude who thinks all these blurfilters and bullshit looks good. Fuck the running through madness section too, it was real awesomelooking and cinematic, but boring as shit.

Now over to the good parts! I looooove the ability to choose between hooking myself or the enemy, I love having fast/mid/heavy attacks be real easy to use and comboable. I love how easy it is to chain attacks and dodge. So basically, I loved the combat. And that basically means all the other points are irrelevant. If worst comes to worst, I can just skip the cutscenes.

Now my only worry really is, since the moveset is fairly large from the getgo compared to the other games, so did they have enough stuff to unlock throughout? Because I think it isn't enough to cover for an entire game and I would miss the ability to customize my equipment between missions. If it's just the same gear all the way through, or just a linear progression I will be mad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.