DmC sells 1/3rd of what DMC4 did in first week in the UK

• 191 results
#51 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

@Blimble said:

@thabigred: Isn't that just because the USA is a lot larger than the UK or is that figure per person/so many people or something

I'm talking about overall spending not per capita. US spend something around 40 billion on games last year while the UK spent 5 billion.

#52 Posted by handlas (2661 posts) -

sales =\= quality

#53 Posted by DrCaveman (12 posts) -

@thabigred said:

To be honest I don't think the UK is a very important market for Capcom and on top of that press doesn't have as noticeable effect on sales as the press likes to say it does. For instance about 8 times as much is spent on video games in the US each year as the UK. The US and Japan are much more important markets, for Capcom at least.

Japan sales are going to be BAD to put it mildly. Otaku rage over this makes fanboy anger here look mild by comparison.

#54 Posted by kishinfoulux (2256 posts) -

Debuting number one doesn't mean anything if the sales aren't good. I want the game to succeed just to shut up the morons, but it ain't looking good so far.

#55 Posted by StarvingGamer (8032 posts) -

Well, there's no accounting for taste eh?

#56 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

Debuting number one doesn't mean anything if the sales aren't good. I want the game to succeed just to shut up the morons, but it ain't looking good so far.

Yeah, I think they rather are number 4 in November than number 1 in January. Position is cool, but in the end it's about revenue. I hope the sales for this game pick up because of positive word of mouth, I have no beef with it.

#57 Edited by LackingSaint (1773 posts) -

If it's debuting at number one, that makes it pretty clear there is some good interest in the game and the rebooted series. Of course it didn't sell amazingly, nothing does nowadays. I haven't bought a game on release in like two years, shit is expensive.

#58 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

@Blimble: I found a few more sources that put both at around 1.3 million. There's an ever-shifting bar of what 'successful' sales are, though. It's a bit f'd that 1.3 lifetime sales isn't good enough for a game like Bayonetta. But that's video games, I guess.

I also found this, which I assume everyone has seen at some point. I think it's reasonable to look at that chart and draw some conclusions about franchise sales.

First game, new property, one console; sells really well. Second game, one console; sells less, suggesting that franchise retention isn't great, just good. Third, one console; comparatively, sells the worst, implying that 2 lost fans instead of gaining them. Fourth, two consoles, earlyish in the generation; sells the best, which could mean that though the lifetime sales of 3 aren't particularly impressive, the used/lending/rental markets raised the profile of the series and got people back into it -- the sales of 4 are more reflective of the quality of 3.

Here we could just have DmC suffering from modest opinion of 4, even though they tried to mitigate that by taking the game in a different direction as a reboot.

A similar thing (could be said to have) happened with WoW and Diablo. Wrath was well-loved -- Cataclysm broke records. Cataclysm was reviled -- Pandaland sold like crap, despite being by all accounts vastly better. Diablo 2, evergreen gaming classic -- Diablo 3, best selling PC game of all time forever amen. I bet you dollars to donuts D3's expansion is going to go over like a fart.

But that's just one reading. I'd be sad if, at the end of the day, DmC doesn't hit the mark in terms of sales. I dig it a lot. Granted, this is data from a week, in a small territory, without a PC release -- the story is far from told on the financial success of DmC.

#59 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Probably because DMC4 is a great game that a lot of people played.

Also, it's really not a good idea to release a game in the month following christmas, where people haven't been paid yet.

#60 Posted by Humanity (8864 posts) -

I don't think anyone seriously expected it to do well. This genre hasn't done too well in a while. It also isn't any indication of quality as it has been pointed out many times already how tragically Bayonetta didn't sell well despite being probably the best beat 'me up in this console generation.

It's tough to sell a lot of copies yet still cater to the hardcore crowd that demands an intricate and demanding combat system. Those days are coming to an end if they haven't straight up ended already. No one is really making DMC's or Ikarugas anymore because niche titles bring in niche sales figures and when you try to open the systems up to a wider player base you get the DmC reaction.

#61 Posted by tyler1285 (172 posts) -

I really want to play this game when it comes out on pc, but you guys in the DmC defense force can just let people hate it. They have already decided they don't want to play it so it doesn't really matter what you say to them. It's okay to have different opinions y'all.

#62 Posted by AlexW00d (6191 posts) -

@thabigred said:

@Blimble said:

@thabigred: Isn't that just because the USA is a lot larger than the UK or is that figure per person/so many people or something

I'm talking about overall spending not per capita. US spend something around 40 billion on games last year while the UK spent 5 billion.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2013/01/11/totally-pwned-2012-u-s-video-game-retail-sales-tumble-22/

Try $13 billion. I think Europe and the US are more comparable as areas, not the UK and US. Although, Europe has a lot more PC focused people, so those figures won't be accounted for - or well, digital won't.

#63 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@Tidel: I'm pretty sure the sales of three there don't include special edition but yeah 2 did fuck over the sales a lot. 4 seems to be generally excepted as a good game even with the backtracking which really does suck the life out of it, I'd still argue it has the best combat though and that it help draw in some maybe not casual but people who wouldn't have played DMC otherwise. I also think emphasis has to be put on fans feeling alienated by the reboot and just the look of DmC not appealing to the masses, emo isn't the best word but i can't think of a better one so it is what I'm going to go with for now.

#64 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

Haha... You're just so transparent it's hilarious.

@DrCaveman said:

Fanboys of DmC are flipping out I guess. I thought DMC fanboys where supposed to be the bad ones or whatever.

Jesus, and what the Hell is this?? Another user who signs up just to conveniently start backing the OP...

The dedication to hate that some of these fans have is just disturbing.

#65 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

I'll buy this game when its £20

#66 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@thabigred said:

@Blimble said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2013/01/11/totally-pwned-2012-u-s-video-game-retail-sales-tumble-22/

Try $13 billion. I think Europe and the US are more comparable as areas, not the UK and US. Although, Europe has a lot more PC focused people, so those figures won't be accounted for - or well, digital won't.

The US still has a decent PC games market as well which I'm guessing isn't accounted fro in thabigred's figure so that has to be taken into considerations

#67 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -
@GunstarRed

Brighty, we get it, you hate the new DMC.

#68 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it'll get a sequel. You don't hint sequels in your beat-the-game achievement when you don't plan one. Also, it's DmC. It's a fucking good game and it's an origin story. It'll get a sequel. Eventually.

#69 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@Klei said:

You don't hint sequels in your beat-the-game achievement when you don't plan one

yeah psychonauts 2 was really good..........I made myself sad now

#70 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

@Blimble said:

@AlexW00d said:

@thabigred said:

@Blimble said:

The US still has a decent PC games market as well which I'm guessing isn't accounted fro in thabigred's figure so that has to be taken into considerations

I think Forbes only accounted for brick and mortar sales. The numbers I got were more gross and non-exact.

#71 Posted by AlexW00d (6191 posts) -
#72 Posted by Mustachio (242 posts) -

Regardless of what your stance is on the quality of the reboot, the sales figures shouldn't surprise anybody. You're talking about a game which has (to some extent) alienated part of its core fan-base, and is therefore at the mercy of the general fighting/action adventure audience, part of which will be spending their money on Anachy Reigns or waiting for Reveangance, and that's if they even have any money to spend considering it's the middle of January. It would be a shame to see a bunch of people lose their jobs over this, but I guess that's the harsh side of this industry.

#73 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

@Blimble: Dubstep Instagram Punk, maybe (we can shorten it to DIP, which should please Some People).

I think the 'emo' designation is a hold-over from early days. Doesn't fit with the end result.

Poking around numbers about things, I scoped out the lifetime sales for God of War.21.6 million across the franchise, counting collections. I wonder if DmC had entirely ditched the complex combat of its franchise for something a bit more (gloriously) meat-and-potatoes like GoW, if that could make a difference. I'm sure some people would have positively died of faneurysms, but if you're going to reboot, why not go all the way?

Neither here nor there, really. Just thinking out loud -- is character action a niche, dying genre, or is what's niche just the Japanese approach to combat? DmC doesn't change the formula much -- most of the difference is in presentation. MGS:R looks stellar, to me, but sentiment is overwhelming negative everywhere -- not quite pre-DmC levels, but equally vitriolic.

In conclusion, weird. Gaming is weird. I hope games I love do well and I get more of them.

#74 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

If this game doesn't perform to expectations, what does that mean for Ninja Theory in the future? Both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved sold poorly, which had pretty harsh consequences for the company.

http://www.gamesradar.com/enslaveds-low-sales-prevented-studio-expansion-ninja-theory-sequel/

Considering Capcom was hoping to get more sales than DMC4, then lowered their expectations, I wonder what their definition of success is at this point and how will it affect their relationship with NT for a possible sequel.

#75 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@thabigred: Hmm, I guess we have this we can kinda work with? http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_game_industry Google gave me it anyway.

I'm going to revise my previous 40 billion dollar number. I used venturebeats numbers, converted the 25 billion to sterling because I misread the euro symbol as sterling and thought they were all in sterling.

#76 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@Tidel: I meant more as a first reaction to seeing it without knowing stuff about it from a casual consumer (like with the issue of the Bioshock infinite cover). That emo (or whatever it is) is still there and not really appealing to the masses. it defiantly isn't punk apart from it having a bit of an anarchist sentiment.

I've also always wondered how GoW did so well. I guess people just like Greek mythology and Kratos is an easy to get behind power fantasy while a lot of people would just find Dante (either one) weird. It is a difficult one

the genre isn't really dying, it's always been tiny (relatively to games I mean). DmC just takes a lot of the complexity out which is what fans of the genre really want, get rid of them and you don't have a very big market. GoW is the only similar type of game to do this and I'd be lying if I said i knew exactly why. MGR could change this seeing as it is such a big franchise but we have to wait and see, I'll hopeful love it regardless of if it sells. Most of the bad stuff I've heard against it has just been story stuff which I think will actually turn out very good

#77 Edited by Taku128 (795 posts) -

Man, those guys who complain about the new DmC sure are annoying huh? You guys complaining about them complaining are totally cool though and not even more annoying than the people who are vocal about hating the reboot. Nope. Totally way better.

#78 Posted by xyzygy (9899 posts) -

@Tits_Matador said:

Why is a game debuting at No. 1 considered a failure now?

This. It debuted at No. 1 people. It's not a failure. It's actually doing really good, and Ninja Theory must be very pleased. I wouldn't be surprised if it's their best selling game already.

#79 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Blimble: I would not consider GOW similar to Devil May Cry.

#80 Edited by Blimble (302 posts) -

@xyzygy: It is because it is at a time when barely anything is coming out yet can barely get to the numbers of the previous entry when the whole point of the reboot was to generate more sales.

@ImmortalSaiyan: Oh yeah they are different games but still in that 3d action/brawler category.

#81 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3758 posts) -

@Taku128 said:

Man, those guys who complain about the new DmC sure are annoying huh? You guys complaining about them complaining are totally cool though and not even more annoying than the people who are vocal about hating the reboot. Nope. Totally way better.

Yup. You summed it up well here, sans sarcasm.

#82 Edited by Tidel (360 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Distant cousins as far as mechanics and complexity, maybe, but they're both 'character action'. Aren't they?

: I definitely wouldn't say DmC is anywhere near as 'streamlined' as GoW. Not by a lot. I lean toward the more mashable games as a matter of preference, and I was wholly alienated from the complexity of DmC for about half the game, before it started to click.

#83 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I won't buy DmC because I have a blind loyalty to old Dante because of Marvel vs. Capcom 3

#Kappa

#84 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (505 posts) -

@Klei said:

I'm pretty sure it'll get a sequel. You don't hint sequels in your beat-the-game achievement when you don't plan one. Also, it's DmC. It's a fucking good game and it's an origin story. It'll get a sequel. Eventually.

I don't know. People have this idea that DMC4 was a failure, but it sold pretty well and I think every single game Capcom has handed to Western developers has underperformed. If everyone's so positive DMC4 won't get a sequel, I don't really know why anybody should be certain DmC will get a sequel if it sells worse.

#85 Posted by mordukai (7140 posts) -

@Kankohii said:

It's funny how people have turned around on DMC4 when DmC came out. These are probably the same people who shat on it when it came out (and never played it).

I played it DMC4 and shat on it then and will continue to shit on it now. That game was trash.

#86 Posted by jjm494 (84 posts) -

I think this says more about the current state of triple A game sales and where its headed since Devil May Cry 4 came out than about the success or failure of the new Devil May Cry. It is quite an achievement to be number one in sales and knock FIFA out of that spot. However, what's telling about the industry, at least in the UK, is how many copies a game needs to move nowadays to be the top seller.

I think we also have to take into consideration that this game was released in January, so it shouldn't be surprising that overall sales aren't as high as one might expect. Most people tighten their belts in the aftermath of spending a lot of money during the holiday season. While releasing your game after the holiday season gives it a better chance to be noticed and the advantage of not having to compete with the holiday season heavy hitters such Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, the downside is that amount of people looking to pick up a new game might not be as high.

#87 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@Blimble said:

@Klei said:

You don't hint sequels in your beat-the-game achievement when you don't plan one

yeah psychonauts 2 was really good..........I made myself sad now

Ouch. My feelings. Psychonauts 2 was hinted in the first game? :(

#88 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. There's still a lot of bad blood between the community and the devs (who, I'll admit, I got mixed up with the DOA crowd, my bad), but compacting the issue is the demo, which really did feel wrong to me. The controls felt like they'd been cobbled together at the last moment, and I couldn't get it through my head how to pull myself towards enemies, as the button combination didn't line up...same for the basic attacks and combos. That and the boss demo was god awful, I seriously doubt we'll see boss battles that aren't putting you at a stupid disadvantage despite the fact that you're (in this case at least) half angel and half demon. Maybe it's just not my type of game, maybe I've outgrown the genre, I loved Bayonetta, but I can't get behind this.

I'm pretty sure the money end of things has something to do with it too, given that it's just after the holiday season and people don't want to spend money (I just bought the DMC HD collection yesterday cause it was less than half price) and given that a lot of game-related shops are simply not stocking games anymore, for example; my local HMV didn't stock ACIII, and then closed down after christmas, leaving shops like Gamestop to shoulder the burden - seriously, they can fuck right off, it smells like sweaty man-child in there - I think people are just waiting for games to come down in price, or saving their money for games that are actually look like they're worth the consumer's time. Speaking as someone who bought very few new titles last year, I can tell you that games are overpriced, their development costs are too high, and given the need for people to cut back on spending so that they can, you know, eat, I guess games like DmC needed a little something more to grab attention. Also not pissing on loyal fans, or making a compromise, might have been a better idea than intentionally trolling them and acting like pricks, same can go for the fans, but really, it was a year for devs acting far too defensively in the wake of controversy, too many sites and journalists and contrarians dismissing honest claims, and then there are people like me, who just stopped caring or don't want to pay full-price for a game like this.

There are many reasons, but I think we can all agree that while it's not doing awful, a little more decency from the industry and consumers in general would make games like this more appealing.

#89 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@Klei: The end they all go off to save the world from something. really it was just the first example that came to my head of a game that hinted at a sequel that hasn't happened.

#90 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (505 posts) -

@jjm494 said:

I think we also have to take into consideration that this game was released in January, so it shouldn't be surprising that overall sales aren't as high as one might expect. Most people tighten their belts in the aftermath of spending a lot of money during the holiday season. While releasing your game after the holiday season gives it a better chance to be noticed and the advantage of not having to compete with the holiday season heavy hitters such Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed, the downside is that amount of people looking to pick up a new game might not be as high.

Irrelevant. DMC 4 came out in early February.

#91 Posted by jjm494 (84 posts) -

@Cretaceous_Bob:Didn't know that. Fair enough point.

#92 Posted by Undeadpool (4913 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

@Tits_Matador
Why is a game debuting at No. 1 considered a failure now?
Cause some people are just desperate for it to fail.

Or failing that: rewrite history to make themselves appear more rational.

#93 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -
@Ekami

Talking about video games used to be something I enjoyed.

#94 Posted by Brodehouse (9640 posts) -

The difference in sales has far more to do with the difference in console lifespan than it does any qualitative difference between the games (or what 'the fans' think).

#95 Posted by StarvingGamer (8032 posts) -

That's a shame if it's true. While 1/3 of DMC4 had better combat mechanics (playing as Dante), the remainder of the game (playing as Nero, level design, storytelling) was utter garbage in comparison with DmC.

Also where are these numbers coming from? A screenshot posted by a devoted DmC naysayer hardly seems like evidence of anything more than absolutely nothing.

#96 Edited by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: It's from Chart-Track. It's basically the UK's NPD.

And there's so many things explaining lower sales. DMC4 came after the most successful entry in the series both critically and financially. This one is a reboot that comes out 5 years after the last one which was not as successful as it's predecessor and not as well liked by the fans. 5 years is plenty of time to forget about a series for most people. DMC4 came out in February where people are starting to have more money to spend after the holidays which is certainly not the case two weeks into the new year. Some people may be holding out for the PC version, PC version that didn't come out until months had passed for DMC4. And finally these sales don't track digital sales either and it is one of the games available day 1 digitally on PS3.

#97 Posted by Demoskinos (14585 posts) -
@StarvingGamer Wow really? I loved Nero way more than Dante in that one.
#98 Posted by StarvingGamer (8032 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Different strokes I guess. It's all a bit of a blur now of course, but I clearly recall having a not-so-fun time with the game up until the point it switched over to Dante and suddenly I felt like a badass again. It was almost enough to make me feel okay with them making you play through the same game twice. Then control switched back to Nero and I tried to slog through but I ended up just putting the game down.

#99 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

FUCK YOU.

#100 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@StarvingGamer Wow really? I loved Nero way more than Dante in that one.

I preferred playing a Nero more as well. I am pumped that Dante has the pull move from DMC4. I missed it playing as Dante.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.