DmC Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

#1 Edited by Brighty (251 posts) -

Ouch. Even with all the glowing reviews and critical acclaim, it didn't help DmC's case. I guess the fans did ultimately have the final say. Even still, I honestly didn't expect it to sell this poorly.

"Capcom shipped 1 million copies of DmC Devil May Cry in January, the company announced as part of their nine-month earnings report today. Additionally, the company has revised its sales forecast for DmC Devil May Cry as well. Initially, Capcom expected to ship 2 million copies of the game by March 31st, 2013. Now, that figure has been lowered to 1.2 million. For comparison, Capcom shipped over 2 million copies of Devil May Cry 4 when the game launched in 2008. Devil May Cry 4 had/has the highest initial shipment of any Devil May Cry title in the series."

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/04/dmc-devil-may-cry-ships-1-million-copies-forecast-lowered-to-1-2-million/

#2 Posted by Venatio (4485 posts) -

That sucks, that game is great, it deserves more

#3 Posted by Platina32 (31 posts) -

Shame, the game isn't that bad at all. I think it just got too much negative attention due to people being annoyed that the franchise went a little bit in a different direction.

#4 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1274 posts) -

1 million isn't exactly bad. It may not be meeting expectations, but 1.2 million certainly isn't a failure for a game like this.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (22752 posts) -
@ll_Exile_ll

1 million isn't exactly bad. It may not be meeting expectations, but 1.2 million certainly isn't a failure for a game like this.

Tell that to Resident Evil "Sold nearly 5 million copies and is still a failure" 6.
#6 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4660 posts) -

@ll_Exile_ll said:

I agree. I bet this will easily be Ninja Theory's higest selling game. They are a studio that does not sell. Capcom must of known this. I would like the game to do better but 1 million is not bad. I remember when Catherine sold 200k and Atlus was pumped. Maybe developers need to be smarter with their budgets.

#7 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1274 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ll_Exile_ll

Tell that to Resident Evil "Sold nearly 5 million copies and is still a failure" 6.

Success depends largely on budget, which is different for every game. 1 million unit sales would be a colossal failure for something like GTA V which likely has a budget of nearly $100 million, but DMC probably didn't even have a tenth of that. I guarantee you this game made money.

#8 Posted by Carryboy (591 posts) -

@ll_Exile_ll said:

About 4 years ago this was true but I feel like 2 million has become the new 1 million. God that sentence makes me sound like a dickhead.

#9 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

Oh look, another thread for brighty to shit all over this game in. Seriously dude, don't you ever get bored of it?

#10 Posted by LikeaSsur (1432 posts) -

I may be old fashioned, but 1 million seems like a lot to me, regardless of the title.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (20622 posts) -

Man, fucking Operation Raccoon City sold more than DmC. Now that's just depressing. Think it hit like 2mil in less than a month.

#12 Posted by MildMolasses (3197 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ll_Exile_ll

Yep. Games are budgeted to their projections, and since neither made it, they are both failures. All the praise or criticism in the world doesn't matter to their bottom line

#13 Edited by Brighty (251 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@ll_Exile_ll said:

I agree. I bet this will easily be Ninja Theory's higest selling game. They are a studio that does not sell. Capcom must of known this. I would like the game to do better but 1 million is not bad. I remember when Catherine sold 200k and Atlus was pumped. Maybe developers need to be smarter with their budgets.

Their whole reason for the reboot in the first place was to expand the audience of DMC and westernize it to make it appeal to more consumers. Their initial projections for the reboot were similiar to RE series - 5 million. This was then lowered to a more reasonable number of 2 million - which I fully expected that this game would hit - but for it to only rake in 1.2 million projected sales... that's absolutely a failure for this game. That's roughly a million copies less than its predecessor when the whole point of the game was to gain more of an audience than DMC4.

The game is a critical success - metacritic doesn't lie - but when it comes to sales, this game is a complete failure. Which is a god damn shame, IMO. The game is fine, but I can't help but think that some of this may have been avoided if the game didn't have some abysmally terrible PR and marketing behind it, especially when it came to alienating the old fanbase.

@iAmJohn said:

Oh look, another thread for brighty to shit all over this game in. Seriously dude, don't you ever get bored of it?

Show me where I'm "shitting on the game" in this thread.

#14 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2580 posts) -

That's $60,000,000

It's over 9000

#15 Posted by buft (3298 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

if they didnt change it i bet the numbers would be considerably less, so i guess the fans ruined it for themselves

#16 Posted by TheHT (10318 posts) -

Bummer.

I will still buy this game.

#17 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Guess the fans got the last `Fuck You!™`

#18 Posted by Brighty (251 posts) -

@buft said:

@iAmJohn said:

if they didnt change it i bet the numbers would be considerably less, so i guess the fans ruined it for themselves

Considering the previous iteration in the series was the highest selling the series had ever seen (DMC4), I somehow doubt that very much.

#19 Posted by Sackmanjones (4610 posts) -

Really unfortunate considering this game is the best the series has ever been.

#20 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2580 posts) -

1 PS3 Ninokuni: Shiroki Seihai no Joou 166,179

2 X360 Call of Duty: Black Ops II 87,633

3 PS3 Call of Duty: Black Ops II 86,595

4 PS3 DMC 86,412

5 3DS Animal Crossing: New Leaf 82,434

6 PS3 Far Cry 3 52,308

7 PS3 FIFA Soccer 13 51,905

8 X360 Far Cry 3 51,610

9 Wii Just Dance 4 50,257

10 X360 DMC 43,406

Yeah losing out to COD & Ni Nu Kuni is a total failure /sarcasm

#21 Posted by Barrabas (323 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

Actually DmC may still get the last "fuck you" when instead of going back to the old Dante there simply aren't DMC games made anymore due to the failure.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (22752 posts) -
@Sackmanjones
DMC3 says hi.
#23 Posted by Alpha1 (253 posts) -

Its a great game.

#24 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Barrabas said:

Actually DmC may still get the last "fuck you" when instead of going back to the old Dante there simply aren't DMC games made anymore due to the failure.

On the brightside you can enjoy the old Dante in UMvC3 where his combos have never been more fun. Vergil too.

#25 Posted by Korwin (2726 posts) -

Deserves to sell more, I'm not normally a character action kinda guy but that game was great.

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

That's million units!

#27 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Sackmanjones
DMC3 says hi.

I'd argue that DmC is the best overall package. DMC3 has great combat, but really isn't very good in any other department. The series has always suffered from monotonous exploration/puzzles.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (13910 posts) -

Well is Capcom really fucking surprised about this when there are like zero commercials or anything on TV for it? Out of all the TV I watch Wrestling on Monday Nights is pretty much the only 3 hour block I watch and Video Game ads are usually all over the commercials during wrestling. Never seen one measly ad for it.

But hey whatever I really enjoyed this. If they go back to the "main" timeline and make DMC 5 proper instead of a sequel to DmC 2 I'll still be happy we got this one.

#29 Posted by chrissedoff (2041 posts) -

I bought a copy so don't blame me.

#30 Posted by Sanious (781 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

Man, fucking Operation Raccoon City sold more than DmC. Now that's just depressing. Think it hit like 2mil in less than a month.

That is sad.

I am hoping this game does well enough regardless of what people think about it. I do generally like DMC as a series and I would honestly hate to see it go.

#31 Posted by Demoskinos (13910 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Sackmanjones
DMC3 says hi.

I'ma go ahead and agree with Sackman. I think DmC is way better. Sure, you can argue that the combat is "better" on a technical front but I've just flat out had more fun with DmC regardless of how much more technically adept the combat is in DMC 3 which I think to a large degree is Hyperbole because Dante in DMC 4 has way way more options at his disposal then he did in DMC 3.

#32 Posted by spiceninja (3053 posts) -

I'll probably end up like the fantastic Prince of Persia reboot from 2008. An offshoot that some look back fondly at while others wish to forget.

#33 Edited by Milkman (16233 posts) -

Sales, in general, are down so of course it wasn't going to sell more than DMC 4. That game came out in a very different world than this one did. The game is great and it will be fine. But whatever helps the fanboys sleep at night and makes them think that they "won."

DmC 2 is going to happen. So get your outrage ready, Internet.

#34 Edited by Barrabas (323 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel said:

@Sackmanjones
DMC3 says hi.

I'ma go ahead and agree with Sackman. I think DmC is way better. Sure, you can argue that the combat is "better" on a technical front but I've just flat out had more fun with DmC regardless of how much more technically adept the combat is in DMC 3 which I think to a large degree is Hyperbole because Dante in DMC 4 has way way more options at his disposal then he did in DMC 3.

The reason DMC4 is considered worse than DMC3 has nothing to do with the combat, and everything to do with egregious use of repeated content.

I'll side with the DMC3 over DmC crowd, though I think both games are great. My main issue with DmC is that I think the boss fights are bad. They can be visually stunning, but they were almost all complete push overs. Only the last boss posed any real challange, and his fight suffers greatly from not making it clear at all how you finish him off. In this type of game boss fights are super important to me. They should be the high notes, and I felt left down. So I'll take DMC3's better boss fights over DmC's vastly improved level design.

#35 Edited by Yummylee (20622 posts) -

@CaptainTightPants said:

@Hailinel said:

@Sackmanjones
DMC3 says hi.

I'd argue that DmC is the best overall package. DMC3 has great combat, but really isn't very good in any other department. The series has always suffered from monotonous exploration/puzzles.

I'd say they both have their strengths and weaknesses when put against one another. Although I personally prefer both DMC3 and DMC4 to DmC, it still clearly does a whole swath of stuff better than the prior games. Such as the pacing, art design, story, voice acting, soundtrack and platforming. It's also the first to allow you to just press select/back to restart a Special Mission instead of constantly having to re-enter the room over and over again.

However, I still much prefer the combat in both DMC3 and DMC4 and, besides Bob Barbas and the ending Vergil battle the bosses kinda suck whereas in previous games they were some of the highlights. The weapon creativity is a little weak as well; nothing quite as colourful like Pandora (demon briefcase) from DMC4 or Nevan (demon guitar) from DMC3.

I like 'em all, though -- besides DMC2. And I would still be plenty excited if there was to (hopefully) be another NT-developed DmC game. Oh, and I can't wait for when the Vergil DLC is released!

edit: Also, regardless of how great the PC version may be, a DMC game on consoles at 30fps obviously can't stand up against my PS3 version of DMC4 running at a near-consistent 60.

#36 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3599 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Sales, in general, are down so of course it wasn't going to sell less than DMC 4. That game came out in a very different world than this one did. The game is great and it will be fine. But whatever helps the fanboys sleep at night and makes them think that they "won." DmC 2 is going to happen. So get your outrage ready, Internet.

I think this is right on. DmC 2 is still very likely.

@Hailinel said:

@ll_Exile_ll

I'm pretty sure RE 6 had like 400 people working on it or something insane. And it had a ton of commercials in high profile spots vs zero for DmC. They aren't in the same category as franchises.

#37 Posted by Sackmanjones (4610 posts) -
@CaptainTightPants said:

@Hailinel said:

@Sackmanjones
DMC3 says hi.

DMC3 is a fucking awesome game, no doubt about that. I just loved absolutely everything about the reboot, I had a big ole goofy grin on my face the entire time I played it. DMC3 is definitely my second favorite in the series by a long shot, but the reboot takes the gold for me.
#38 Posted by Demoskinos (13910 posts) -

@Barrabas: Once you learn their tactics the DMC 3 fights are insanely easy as well. The only one who poses any challenge is again like in DmC Vergil. Talking about reused content all of the DMC games do it. DMC 4 was just more overtly in your face about it. Which in my original post I wasn't comparing the games as wholes anyways i was just talking purely combat. I still just don't understand why people suddenly on the 4th entry of the series decided that backtracking and re-using bosses was suddenly a shocking thing.

#39 Edited by Yummylee (20622 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Hailinel said:

@ll_Exile_ll

I'm pretty sure RE 6 had like 400 people working on it or something insane. And it had a ton of commercials in high profile spots vs zero for DmC.

600+ in fact. And the marketing was a goddamn avalanche that seemingly never ended. It felt like every week there was a new trailer; literally like 60-70% (admittedly pulling percentages outta my arse, but you get the idea) of the game was spoiled by trailers.

#40 Posted by triple07 (1194 posts) -

Since when is 1 million sold a failure? It may not be what they wanted but its not a flop.

#41 Posted by Brighty (251 posts) -

@triple07 said:

Since when is 1 million sold a failure? It may not be what they wanted but its not a flop.

Keep in mind this is 1 million shipped and not one million sold. Huge difference. Capcom is notorious for overshipping (just look at RE6), but for them to rectify their original projections by reducing it by almost a full million copies then the NPD numbers must have been extremely underwhelming.

#42 Edited by Seppli (9767 posts) -

Definitely the first game I pick up, as soon as I get out from under the silly GW2 legendary grind, and Ni No Kuni, that's lined up to come next. Might also throw in some Dead Space 3, since that's more down my alley. Playing a Ninja Theory game is on my list since a while now, and DmC does so many things I think are fucking neat, like using mutators and such - and damn does it look fine.

With the word of mouth it has, and it being kind of an underdog, I predict that it will have a longer tail than most games. I think Capcom will consider it a success. At the very least I think they'll continue their cooperation with Ninja Theory.

#43 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4282 posts) -

The haters are going to have a field day.

#44 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3599 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Hailinel said:

@ll_Exile_ll

I'm pretty sure RE 6 had like 400 people working on it or something insane. And it had a ton of commercials in high profile spots vs zero for DmC.

600+ in fact. And the marketing was a goddamn avalanche that seemingly never ended. It felt like every week there was a new trailer; literally like 60-70% (admittedly pulling percentages outta my arse, but you get the idea) of the game was spoiled by trailers.

600 Wow. That really is insane. At that many people, you are basically requiring yourself to do CoD numbers I would guess.

Yeah there were so many ads. I believe it was the NBA Playoffs last year where I saw it advertised just over and over again. Those ads were not cheap and there were a ton of them.

#45 Posted by Quipido (576 posts) -

I did my part, not gonna buy a second copy I am afraid. Bummer, I was hoping for a sequel.

#46 Posted by Humanity (8001 posts) -

@Barrabas said:

This is actually very true. I hope they keep making Devil May Cry in some fashion because gaming needs it's over the top beat 'em ups but at some point Capcom might just say Forget It.

#47 Posted by triple07 (1194 posts) -

@Brighty said:

@triple07 said:

Keep in mind this is 1 million shipped and not one million sold. Huge difference. Capcom is notorious for overshipping (just look at RE6), but for them to rectify their original projections by reducing it by almost a full million copies then the NPD numbers must have been extremely underwhelming.

Oh that makes this a different story. I guess it could be bad. Too bad since I think the game looks good and I'm a big fan of Ninja Theory. Of course I'm part of the problem since I didn't buy it since I'm buying Fire Emblem Awakening instead.

#48 Posted by Deusx (1880 posts) -

Fuck Capcom, that's putting the bar way too high for a game like this. No matter how good it is. It's yet to reach a bigger audience like their RE games. Ninja Theory deserves a lot of respect after this game. It's great, I might say excellent. 1 Million is a good number for a game of this genre and theme. It's sold more than any DmC before (First week comparison I mean).

I can't wait for a sequel just to see Ninja Theory pissing off more kids. I love to see the tears of every DmC fanboy when faced with the truth about how this game is way better than any past game in the series. Fucking cry babies "go eat a bag of dicks"... A little bit of Louis C.K. there for ya.

#49 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3630 posts) -

@Quipido said:

I did my part, not gonna buy a second copy I am afraid. Bummer, I was hoping for a sequel.

You're the reason we can't have nice things!!

I'm not really surprised this game wasn't a massive hit. I've seen little to no marketing (that could just be me) plus all the internate rage plus this being the end of a console cycle when people are waiting for the next thing or moving over to their PC's. I'm sure it's made enough to warrant a sequel. As pointed out already you can't compare it to RE6 that team was massive and the budget way higher and you can't compare it to DMC4 that came out to a way more positive environment.

#50 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@Deusx said:

It's sold more than any DmC before (First week comparison I mean).

Actually that is completely wrong

http://www.laserlemming.com/2013/01/27/dmc-devil-may-crys-first-week-of-sales-fail-to-meet-devil-may-cry-4s/

And is there really any need for those other comments? Your making us DMC fanboys look civil

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.