DmC Ships 1 Million Copies; Forecast Lowered To 1.2 Million

#151 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@Brighty said:

@Deusx said:

It's sold more than any DmC before (First week comparison I mean).

No one knows the exact numbers DmC has sold except Capcom, all we have are rough estimates. But to think that DmC has sold more than any other DMC game is hilariously idiotic. Even in the article it says that Capcom shipped over twice as many copies of DMC4 than it did for DmC in the first week

Wat. DmC is the worst selling DMC in the series history.

EDIT: The DMC that doesn't exist fucking did better sales. The DMC that doesn't fucking exist.

#152 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

It would seem that DmC is the most controversial video game of 2013. So far, at least.

#153 Posted by LotusPrince (20 posts) -

@KaosAngel said:

@Brighty said:

@Deusx said:

No one knows the exact numbers DmC has sold except Capcom, all we have are rough estimates. But to think that DmC has sold more than any other DMC game is hilariously idiotic. Even in the article it says that Capcom shipped over twice as many copies of DMC4 than it did for DmC in the first week

EDIT: The DMC that doesn't exist fucking did better sales. The DMC that doesn't fucking exist.

The DMC that doesn't exist? You mean 2?

#154 Posted by Grixxel (763 posts) -

I was done after the first game. You guys are all silly.

#155 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@LotusPrince said:

@KaosAngel said:

@Brighty said:

@Deusx said:

The DMC that doesn't exist? You mean 2?

I think we can all say it's the Star Wars Christmas Special of DMC. It doesn't exist.

#156 Posted by OneManX (1682 posts) -

I dunno what this means for DmC 2, but can't be too salty, this game was fighting a battle it was never gonna win with most people regardless on the actual quality of the game. I think it's cool if not a little on the short side. I loved DMC 1 and 3, didn;t care for 2 or 4, so this series was batting 50% in my eyes so... I was ready for the change, becuase I felt the series needed a change.

Maybe people got turned off by the art style or the fact it came out like early in the year, which seems like an odd place for most games.

#157 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@OneManX said:

the fact it came out like early in the year, which seems like an odd place for most games.

RE4 came out second week Jan.

#158 Posted by Gruff182 (853 posts) -

Wasn't it a bunch of the hardcore DMC fans, who had a load of people sign a petition way back when Capcom announced that DMC4 would be multi-platform?

The great news that more people could experience the game. Though apparently not because they went on about some stupid boycott because they didn't get asked for permission for DMC to be multi-plat? Something like that.

Just sayin.

#159 Posted by OneManX (1682 posts) -

@KaosAngel said:

@OneManX said:

the fact it came out like early in the year, which seems like an odd place for most games.

RE4 came out second week Jan.

I think the hype level for RE 4 was way higher than the hype for DmC.

#160 Posted by DeathbyYeti (742 posts) -

@KaosAngel: if there is one thing "game journalism" and modern publishers has shown the last two years is the idea that, the consumer is wrong and didnt want/deserve the next game in that franchise and can hold it hostage ala MegaMan

#161 Posted by KaneRobot (1438 posts) -

*Paging that guy who made the thread about how DmC was selling like crazy because he couldn't find copies anywhere in his hometown, and insisted that was rock-solid proof it was selling well in general^

#162 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@DeathbyYeti said:

@KaosAngel: if there is one thing "game journalism" and modern publishers has shown the last two years is the idea that, the consumer is wrong and didnt want/deserve the next game in that franchise and can hold it hostage ala MegaMan

And that's the fucking disgusting part. Even GAF is saying how fucked up it is. "game jouralist" said vote with your wallet if you don't like it.

Guess what, the DMC fanbase did just that! They didn't buy it and now these "game jouralists" are putting all the blame on the consumers. Well, maybe if Capcom read the signs for TWO YEARS they'd know the entire core fanbase was pissed to all hell.

Even Forbes wrote an article making fun of the "game journalists" for calling these DMC fans idiots. Guess what, the industry runs on capitalism. Don't make shit when you know a large percentage of people don't want it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/02/05/are-fans-to-blame-for-lower-than-expected-dmc-sales/

"Yet here we have an example of that very self-same thing happening right before our eyes, and now it turns out that voting with one’s wallet is actually akin to destroying a brand out of spite. It’s almost—almost!—as if some people think game publishers are entitled to sales regardless of whether or not customers particularly care for the product."

#163 Posted by DeathbyYeti (742 posts) -

@KaosAngel: Eric Kain is a really good writer who seems like he isnt putting up with everyones crap

I like it

Also i like you

#164 Posted by LotusPrince (20 posts) -

@DeathbyYeti said:

Man, there was so much shittyness involved with MegaMan Legends. It looked so fun too.

#165 Posted by StarvingGamer (8040 posts) -

As a fan of the series I have to say I wish more fans of the series gave it a chance. It's a shame, but hopefully Capcom will see fit to make another one anyways.

#166 Posted by Brighty (251 posts) -
#167 Posted by pyrodactyl (1893 posts) -

The idea that fans of DMC are the reason why DmC didn't sell well is ridiculous. The reason that game sold poorly is that times are grim for video games. Mother fucking XCOM sold like shit a few months ago, dishonored also sold poorly. Let's hope the new consoles manage to jump start the interest in games again cause the sales numbers for great games these days are very, very bad and we can't keep this up much longer without some impacts on the quality of games in the future.

#168 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

@Brighty said:

"Which is a god damn shame, IMO. The game is fine, but I can't help but think that some of this may have been avoided if the game didn't have some abysmally terrible PR and marketing behind it, especially when it came to alienating the old fanbase."

This a 1000 times! I don't like DmC at all nothing about it i need or what. Is it a cool game sure but me personally i don't think it holds a candle to DMC3. All that aside i don't wish this game ill will or dislike anyone who like it but the marketing behind this game was dumb. I don't see how pitting your fans to fight among themselves helps you sell more copies. I don't think it's a smart move to call diehard fans bluff in not liking it to only hope they come around later on.

Many moves and steps taken with this game just felt combative to some who cared about the older version of DMC. Sure not everyone likes the old games and there is room to make something new in the franchise but this was not the way. If this was simply it own game it would have went a lot smoother, heck it could have been in the same world but with different people and be its own thing.

Assassin Creed and Prince of Persia franchises have both done this with some success in trading off between the games with different people and story. So i just don't understand the screw fans attitude everybody wants to have now but are surprised when something does not sell.

#169 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Does not deserve success at all. It's complete forgettable garbage.

#170 Posted by Brighty (251 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

The idea that fans of DMC are the reason why DmC didn't sell well is ridiculous.

Please explain.

#171 Edited by pyrodactyl (1893 posts) -

@Brighty said:

@pyrodactyl said:

The idea that fans of DMC are the reason why DmC didn't sell well is ridiculous.

Please explain.

I already did:

The reason that game sold poorly is that times are grim for video games. Mother fucking XCOM sold like shit a few months ago, dishonored also sold poorly. Let's hope the new consoles manage to jump start the interest in games again cause the sales numbers for great games these days are very, very bad and we can't keep this up much longer without some impacts on the quality of games in the future.

Sure, some hardcore fans didn't buy the game but there isn't as much hardcore DMC fans as the internet would lead you to believe. The reason the game didn't sell is the same reason DMC4 sold so well. Not hardcore DMC fans, just regular Joe's who don't really go to gaming websites buying DMC4 because that trailer looked great and, more importantly, there was huge amounts of enthusiasm in the gaming space at the time. Not so much anymore. Let's hope the new consoles will fixe that cause I really, really don't want to buy a goddamn 1000$ PC.

#172 Posted by EXTomar (4524 posts) -

To be explicit, I don't think this is a bad game but I believe their expectations are way off. The producers and Capcom should be ecstatic at the sales.

#173 Edited by DrCaveman (12 posts) -

@pyrodactyl said:

Sure, some hardcore fans didn't buy the game but there isn't as much hardcore DMC fans as the internet would lead you to believe.

XCOM didn't do too well on consoles, but given it's budget and exceptions set out for it Dishonored DID do well. Very well. VGCharts is full of crap dude. The industry isn't in great shape, for sure. But this DmC's and Ninja Theory's own damn fault. 2 Million was the sales numbers projected after taking into account this has been a terrible year in games thanks to the recession and ballooning industry productions costs and business decisions. The less than one million numbers sold is because of hardcore fans. It's what journalists and analysts have concluded already.

The fanboys won.

#174 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@DrCaveman said:

The fanboys won.

This is how games should be made. When you make a series and that fanbase follows it to the end, even going as far as to play the version of this series that doesn't exist, and then you slap them across the face with a "reboot" that isn't anywhere close to the original...fans will leave.

Star Trek pulled this off perfectly. The new reboot stayed true to the core while changing a lot to bring new people, but the changes were well made and a possible reality for the characters. When the original DMC teams have always said Dante doesn't smoke, he doesn't curse, he's a "gentleman" demon hunter who has a sense of humor and more importantly loves being human more than a demon, don't fucking change it. Shit, the fucking game is named after the shop Dante makes and the reboot doesn't even have the fucking shop.

The combat system is simple as fuck compared to the others so that didn't help either.

Capcom has no one to blame but themselves and Ninja Theory. They saw the warnings, but they said "FUCK YOU" to the fans. Fans not buying.

ggwp

#175 Edited by jerseyscum (862 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

The haters are going to have a field day.

Ugh. The upcoming circle-jerk on /v/ and NeoGAF makes me want to puke blood. They might recoup some of the money with Steam or Playstation Plus deals.

#176 Posted by golguin (3849 posts) -

@jerseyscum said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

The haters are going to have a field day.

Ugh. The upcoming circle-jerk on /v/ and NeoGAF makes me want to puke blood.

I feel that this is a nice example of going against the wishes of fans in the hopes of catching a wider audience and having it smack you in the face. I really hope From Software keeps this in mind as they develop Dark Souls 2 to be more "accessible".

#177 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Good going fans, you killed the entire franchise.

That's a damn shame, I actually liked this game more than the other DMC's.

#178 Posted by DrCaveman (12 posts) -

@KaosAngel: Some people on here are so stuck on 'rising above the hate and filthy internet troll masses' or so committed to being reactionary to people who care about things and eating whatever the industry feeds them, they've gone into denial. We've seen this through every piece of bad news that's come up about DmC sales this past month.

#179 Posted by golguin (3849 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44 said:

How are the fans to blame for not buying a game that doesn't cater to their interests? Why would you imply that fans should buy anything from anyone that slaps the name of their franchise on the box? It's funny that before the game came out the argument was "If you don't like it then don't buy it." They do that and now we get this "It's the fault of the fans for killing the franchise" bullshit? Make up your mind.

#180 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@golguin said:

If you don't like it then don't buy it." They do that and now we get this "It's the fault of the fans for killing the franchise" bullshit? Make up your mind.

I hope other devs get this point soon. Don't dick around the fan base, when even a small one with DMC can do this much damage. Gamers aren't stupid and when they care about a series they'll smell the bullshit.

EDIT: Why even call it DMC if you won't even have the fucking shop?!

#181 Posted by DrCaveman (12 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44 said:

Yeah, the franchise survived DMC 2, the franchise ain't dead yet by a lone shot.

And why should they care if they did? To them the franchise was already dead when news of how the reboot was going to play out came out. And by buying DMC 1-4 they didn't make a sacred oath to buy every game in the franchise nor is Capcom entitled to their money. If the franchise dies it's nobodies but Capcom's fault.

#182 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@golguin said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

How are the fans to blame for not buying a game that doesn't cater to their interests? Why would you imply that fans should buy anything from anyone that slaps the name of their franchise on the box? It's funny that before the game came out the argument was "If you don't like it then don't buy it." They do that and now we get this "It's the fault of the fans for killing the franchise" bullshit? Make up your mind.

Because incredibly bad word of mouth and user metacritic scores coming from people who haven't even played the game affects game sales immensely. Couple that with the fact that when the pc version came out there were people who said "If you were to pirate any game, this would be the one lololol" and you've got a case of fans messing with sales.

Also, the if you don't like it then don't buy it argument should have been changed to "If you don't like it then don't condemn it for other people you twat" instead.

#183 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44: Maybe if Capcom stuck with making a sequel to the anime and DMC4 they wouldn't be in this mess.

#184 Posted by Milkman (16542 posts) -

@KaosAngel: I really hope you're still around when DmC 2 gets announced.

#185 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@KaosAngel said:

@Mrsignerman44: Maybe if Capcom stuck with making a sequel to the anime and DMC4 they wouldn't be in this mess.

Both of those properties don't appeal to me in the slightest.

@DrCaveman said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

Yeah, the franchise survived DMC 2, the franchise ain't dead yet by a lone shot.

And why should they care if they did? To them the franchise was already dead when news of how the reboot was going to play out came out. And by buying DMC 1-4 they didn't make a sacred oath to buy every game in the franchise nor is Capcom entitled to their money. If the franchise dies it's nobodies but Capcom's fault.

I'm certain that there was at least some shred of hope that they had that involved capcom "returning to DMC's roots" which is why they bought the HD collection on DmC's release date. That won't happen. Now, Ninja Theory is probably in a lot of shit because of this, there you go whiners, you might have killed another great company.

#186 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@Milkman: From the looks of it, Dante has joined Mega Man.

#187 Posted by golguin (3849 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44 said:

@golguin said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

Because incredibly bad word of mouth and user metacritic scores coming from people who haven't even played the game affects game sales immensely. Couple that with the fact that when the pc version came out there were people who said "If you were to pirate any game, this would be the one lololol" and you've got a case of fans messing with sales.

Also, the if you don't like it then don't buy it argument should have been changed to "If you don't like it then don't condemn it for other people you twat" instead.

So the fans are responsible for the bad word of mouth that came from not liking the game and in order to keep criticisms about the game from hurting sales they should have kept quiet? Are you aware of what you're saying?

#188 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@golguin: Dude he has no idea what he's talking about. He legit thinks the fans made people not like it, he thinks /v/ and NeoGAF made this happen.

Maybe it's just that DMC crowd was always small to begin with and that fanbase doesn't want this game.

#189 Posted by DrCaveman (12 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44 said:

@golguin said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

No one is condemning anyone one for liking this game though. Just Capcom for turning their back on them.

Capcom and Ninja Theory isn't entitiled to anyone's money yours or mine. If they decide to continue the franchise, it'll be with the consideration of winning the old fans back while holding onto the new ones.

@Milkman said:

@KaosAngel: I really hope you're still around when DmC 2 gets announced.

Seeing as that's only going to happen in fantasyland, I bet he will be.

#190 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@DrCaveman said:

If they decide to continue the franchise, it'll be with the consideration of winning the old fans back while holding onto the new ones.

Capcom already has one DMC game that doesn't exist in the eyes of the fans and Capcom. No fucking way Capcom has the balls to make a sequel to DMC4 after making TWO DMC games that don't exist.

#191 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@golguin said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

@golguin said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

So the fans are responsible for the bad word of mouth that came from not liking the game and in order to keep criticisms about the game from hurting sales they should have kept quiet? Are you aware of what you're saying?

Let's face it, a majority of the people who tanked the metacritic score didn't even play it. Are you telling me that a 2 or a 1 out of 10 for a somewhat critically acclaimed game is honest? A lot of people look on metacritic before they buy, and when they see that schism, they simply glance over the game and don't buy it. If you don't believe that you're lying to yourself.

@KaosAngel: Don't speak for me. You don't know what I'm saying at all.

#192 Posted by Milkman (16542 posts) -

@DrCaveman: Okay, if you say so. But I hope you're around too.

#193 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

So basically this means that Ninja Theory's last three games were financial flops.

Maybe it's just a curse?

#194 Posted by DrCaveman (12 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44 said:

Let's face it, a majority of people who tanked the metacritic score didn't even play it. Are you telling me that a 2 or a 1 out of 10 for a critically acclaimed game is honest? People look on metacritic before they buy, if you don't believe that you're lying to yourself.

Roger Ebert gave plenty of great, critically acclaimed movies one star. So have other legitimate critics.

And he does speak for you. The type of argument you laid out is called an appeal to authority, and it's logical fallacy 101. People are entitled to their own opinions and they are indeed legitimate, even if someone more official or of higher standing has one that's the opposite. Also most of them have played the free demo and are entitled to speak about gameplay issues they have, so yes they do have experiences with the game allowing to have a valid opinion as well.

#195 Posted by golguin (3849 posts) -

@Mrsignerman44 said:

@golguin said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

@golguin said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

Let's face it, a majority of the people who tanked the metacritic score didn't even play it. Are you telling me that a 2 or a 1 out of 10 for a somewhat critically acclaimed game is honest? A lot of people look on metacritic before they buy, and when they see that schism, they simply glance over the game and don't buy it. If you don't believe that you're lying to yourself.

I wasn't aware that user reviews for a game could cause a title to lose millions in sales numbers. Haven't other games been bombed by negative user reviews before release and sold fantastically well? You would think that all the positive reviews for the game would have been stronger than the negative reviews by random people.

#196 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Capcom: Sorry Devil May Cry fans, this new Devil May Cry game isn't for you!

*DmC bombs*

Capcom: W-why didn't you buy our game? ;_;

#197 Posted by DrCaveman (12 posts) -

@Milkman said:

@DrCaveman: Okay, if you say so. But I hope you're around too.

Capcom ran the hell away from DMC 2 despite being in much better market position and even fan postion. They REALLY pissed the fans off this time AND the game bombed. Ninja Theory isn't going to be let anywhere near a sequel and Donte ain't going to be in it even if they do make DmC without them.

If their is a next time for the franchise there is going to be a whole lot of wooing involved to win back the original fanbase and a continuation of this universe is going to end in as a major part of that.

#198 Posted by Milkman (16542 posts) -

@DrCaveman: No one knows how many copies the game sold yet. This is all speculation. Also, comparing this games' sales numbers to the sales numbers of any other Devil May Cry game is misguided. I already explained this earlier in the thread but games sales in general are much lower than they were when DMC 4 came out so saying that it sold less than that is completely useless. 2008 for video games and 2013 for video games are two extremely different environments.

#199 Posted by super2j (1655 posts) -

i will be getting this game eventually but there are other purchases in real life that need to be made and other games waiting to be played... I will play this eventually. i really want to.

#200 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@DrCaveman said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

Let's face it, a majority of people who tanked the metacritic score didn't even play it. Are you telling me that a 2 or a 1 out of 10 for a critically acclaimed game is honest? People look on metacritic before they buy, if you don't believe that you're lying to yourself.

Roger Ebert gave plenty of great, critically acclaimed movies one star. So have other legitimate critics.

And he does speak for you. The type of argument you laid out is called an appeal to authority, and it's logical fallacy 101. People are entitled to their own opinions and they are indeed legitimate, even if someone more official or of higher standing has one that's the opposite. Also most of them have played the free demo and are entitled to speak about gameplay issues they have, so yes they do have experiences with the game allowing to have a valid opinion as well.

What does that have to do with anything? That's the word of mouth of one critic not a mass of angry whining fans. Also, judging an entire game based on a small demo is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

@golguin: I'm sure you're talking about coladuty which is in no way even on the same scale in terms of sales compared to this game. The sales for CoD are practically obligatory at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.