Easily Ninja Theories second best game

#1 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (165 posts) -

Heavenly sword was alright, but too simple, too short, and not very memorable. Enslaved had some problems but overall was a good game. I really enjoyed this game a lot more than I was expecting too. I wouldn't argue that this is a "true" DMC game but I think its flippin great.

Which means Kung-Fu-Chaos is #1. The game that sold a million Xboxs.

#2 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4253 posts) -

I can get behind this.

#3 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

More like best. (for me it is)

EDIT: Completely forgot about kung fu, alright I can agree with that.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21209 posts) -

It's got the best gameplay you can find in a NT game, that's for sure. But the story and the writing aren't really up to the NT standard I'd say. Same with the voice acting, though it's still pretty good all the same and is far and away better than any of the stories and performances found in prior DMC games.

#5 Posted by takayamasama (438 posts) -

Oh fuck...Kung Fu Chaos.

I remember having an OXBM demo disk with that on it...think i played it 500 times at least, back in the days before I had my own income to buy games.

That game needs a sequel, or it needs to be brought to XBLA.

#6 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

Kung Fu Chaos needs a sequel with way more characters and movie sets

#7 Edited by familyphotoshoot (652 posts) -

Does DmC have the horrible input lag that Heavenly Sword did? I remember dropping that game after like 20 minutes because it was completely unplayable.

#8 Posted by Ersanven (91 posts) -

I experienced some weird input lag a few times. Really boned up my combos.

#9 Posted by project343 (2810 posts) -

Complete sucker for Enslaved's narrative. Sorry. :P

#10 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

Does DmC have the horrible input lag that Heavenly Sword did? I remember dropping that game after like 20 minutes because it was completely unplayable.

No it doesn't, it is a pretty responsive game.

Never even heard of Kung Fu Chaos so I'd have to say DmC is their best game to date. Though I never played Heavenly Sword either, but from what people say I don't really think I am missing much.

#11 Posted by Rafaelfc (1311 posts) -

In Heavenly Sword you can toss bodies and air control them with the SIXAXIS, it can lead to some ridiculous shenanigans.

That game is alright

#12 Posted by Ghostiet (5209 posts) -
@familyphotoshoot
Nope. Control-wise the only thing that I didn't like is the lack of lock-on, which makes executing moves like Stinger and pulls a real bitch.
#13 Posted by Cheesebob (1230 posts) -

They did Kung Fu Chaos? I LOVED that game!

#14 Posted by Quarters (1624 posts) -

I had no idea they did Kung Fu Chaos. Man...that game was pretty dope.

#15 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Maybe, I haven't played the others ones though. So I guess yes?

#16 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

I really feel like DmC was the first Ninja Theory game I didn't have to qualify before complimenting. I never once said "Oh man, the story and the presentation is amazing, but I really wish the combat was better..." or "This world is so interesting, but the gameplay isn't that engaging...", so I guess in that respect it's their best work that I've played so far. With the gameplay being as tight as it is, I'm really looking forward to what they end up doing next outside of the DmC franchise. Gameplay was never their strongest suit before, and with DmC it seems like they found a way to make it work, so I expect some big things from them in the future.

#17 Posted by project343 (2810 posts) -

Have they patched out those ridiculous SixAxis arrow-maneuvering bits from Heavenly Sword yet? They forced me to stop playing that game half-way through.

#18 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Second best game from a developer that only makes bad games really doesn't mean much.

#19 Posted by DeathbyYeti (742 posts) -

So all Ninja Theory games dont sell

It makes sense now

#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4675 posts) -

I never played Kung Fu chaos but i'm be surprised if it were as good as Enslaved or DmC. May not even be up to Heavenly Sword and that was not a good game.

#21 Posted by GnaTSoL (790 posts) -

Wow I didn't know sooo many people here played Kung Fu Chaos! I thought I was the only one who was looking for a good game on their original xbox and took a leap of faith and bought Chaos. It was the Xbox's Melee. Such a great game I put hours in....

In a weird coincidence...... I bought Kung Fu Chaos yesterday. Didn't even read this thread til now. XD

#22 Edited by Serpentenema (216 posts) -

I bought Kung Fu Chaos at a costco back in the day. Me and my 2 other cousins that owned xboxes all owned a copy of it. I thought it was fun back then.

Unlocking everything in the game was more annoying than it should have been.

#23 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

It's got the best gameplay you can find in a NT game, that's for sure. But the story and the writing aren't really up to the NT standard I'd say. Same with the voice acting, though it's still pretty good all the same and is far and away better than any of the stories and performances found in prior DMC games.

Weird, I thought the voice acting was stellar. The voice behind Dante really sold me on him on as a whole.

#24 Posted by DeathbyYeti (742 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie: there are a couple of videos where they remove the music and sound effects and you can hear how poor the voice acting is

#25 Posted by GnaTSoL (790 posts) -

Hey guys, quick question. DmC or Bayonetta? GO!!

#26 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Not exactly harsh competition for that title.

#27 Posted by Humanity (8731 posts) -

@DeathbyYeti said:

@Colourful_Hippie: there are a couple of videos where they remove the music and sound effects and you can hear how poor the voice acting is

Obviously in a vacuum it will sound worse than in the moment. I too had no issues with the voice acting and expect for the main bad guy they mostly delivered their lines quite well - I thought especially Kat was pretty believable.

#28 Posted by Aronleon (728 posts) -

@GnaTSoL said:

Hey guys, quick question. DmC or Bayonetta? GO!!

Parappa the Rapper.

#29 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4328 posts) -

@DeathbyYeti said:

Well that's just silly.

#30 Posted by DeathbyYeti (742 posts) -

@Humanity: Kat does okay and Mundus does better than the rest of the cast

Everything else is flat and pretty abysmal

#31 Posted by Humanity (8731 posts) -

@DeathbyYeti: Mundus is the worst voice actor in the game in my opinion and everything he says is incredibly flat and monotone. His writing doesn't help but still. Dante at least showed some range of emotion as well as Vergil who is still but still gets excitable once in a while. But different strokes for different folks I suppose.

#32 Posted by Hunter5024 (5514 posts) -

Never heard of Kung Fu Chaos til this thread. I can't tell if the love is ironic or not.

#33 Posted by CreepyUncleBrad (165 posts) -

@Hunter5024: It's okay, I can't tell either

#34 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

I havent techincally beat DMC yet, but im near the end. This game is truly amazing, level design, combat, use of music, story is engaging enough. Really well done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.