Feminist Frequency Hates The Game.

#1 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

Anita Sarkeesian tweeted she hates the game.

https://twitter.com/femfreq

So here's the thing. Since the gaming press is filled with white knights and people who refuse to call her out for not having a single YouTube video ready yet will they start to back track on DmC? This game reviewed well and currently in the mid 80's range on metacritic with reviewers.

#2 Posted by Strife777 (1578 posts) -

Whaaaaatever.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I was going to ask who Feminist Frequency is, but I think I have my answer? *reads tweet* Damn it, Anita, why'd you have to paint such broad strokes? (Not to use a term that could very accidentally be construed as sexist.) Did you ever consider that maybe they didn't notice the sexism? I want to use an example, but I'd feel like I'm beating a dead horse before the horse was even born. I, for one, am against equine miscarriage.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

so do we need to post topics about updates to people's twitters now?

BREAKING NEWS

JEFF IS PLAYING ANTICHAMBER.

breaking news

patrick is playing fire emblem

breaking news

breaking news

breaking news

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Animasta said:

is playing fire emblem

I approve of this.

#6 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

I mean no one cares besides the people who keep bringing up what a shitty person she is and how she is the giantest cunt that ever cunted the cunt or fucking whatever. there was that weird /v/ raid topic about her too and I don't get it, why do you people keep bringing her up

@Video_Game_King: I knew you would! I have precognative powers.

#7 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Who the fuck gives a shit? I'm perfectly happy to criticize her for not delivering on her Kickstarter but this is in NO WAY related to that. So she doesn't like the game. Is she supposed to just parrot what other reviewers are saying about it? Jeff hates RDR, I don't see anyone attempting to crucify him. From what I've seen of DmC, it looks awesome but attacking her for not liking it is pathetic.

#8 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

No idea who that is and no motivation to figure it out.

#9 Posted by Andorski (5309 posts) -

Opinions, man. It's like people have them or whatever.

#10 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

I CAN'T SHRUG HARD ENOUGH TO EXPRESS MY OPINION ON THIS!

#11 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

I CAN'T SHRUG HARD ENOUGH TO EXPRESS MY OPINION ON THIS!

this would imply that you care though!

you couldn't... shrug slighter enough?

#12 Posted by Pr1mus (3904 posts) -

You could better spend your time than following her twitter feed.

For one thing you could be playing DmC, it's pretty great.

#13 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

Why do you even care? If you like the game, who gives a shit what she thinks? She doesn't like the game. WHO CARES. Just enjoy the game and don't worry about people who don't like it.

#14 Posted by golguin (3923 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Who the fuck gives a shit? I'm perfectly happy to criticize her for not delivering on her Kickstarter but this is in NO WAY related to that. So she doesn't like the game. Is she supposed to just parrot what other reviewers are saying about it? Jeff hates RDR, I don't see anyone attempting to crucify him. From what I've seen of DmC, it looks awesome but attacking her for not liking it is pathetic.

Jeff's hate for RDR is no reason to crucify him. It's a reason to throw your hands up in disbelief.

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Video_Game_King: I knew you would! I have precognative powers.

What's your back-story with these powers, then? Were you born with them? Were they given to you? Did you stumble upon them? Are they within you or within an object? Are there limits to these powers? And what's precognative, anyway? Is it the ability to read minds across great distances as long as you're in your homeland?

#16 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

Show me any opinion and i dont give a shit

#17 Posted by StarvingGamer (8230 posts) -

@Animasta: Oh, you changed your avatar again.

Also this thread is dumb.

#18 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta said:

@Video_Game_King: I knew you would! I have precognative powers.

What's your back-story with these powers, then? Were you born with them? Were they given to you? Did you stumble upon them? Are they within you or within an object? Are there limits to these powers? And what's precognative, anyway? Is it the ability to read minds across great distances as long as you're in your homeland?

sorry, you have to buy the sequel for the answers to that.

#19 Posted by Undeadpool (4936 posts) -

I'm entirely pro-feminist, and I even approved of her project when I first heard about it, but at this point she's just lashing out at colors and shapes instead of actually fighting the good fight.

@algertman said:

So here's the thing. Since the gaming press is filled with white knights and people who refuse to call her out for not having a single YouTube video ready yet will they start to back track on DmC? This game reviewed well and currently in the mid 80's range on metacritic with reviewers.

I'm gonna say the "white knights" are outnumbered by the "death threats."

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4798 posts) -

Scam artist who stole $160,000 from white knights says she hates a great video game.

We give a shit why?

#21 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

Scam artist who stole $160,000 from white knights says she hates a great video game.

We give a shit why?

but what he wanted was for us to have another tired argument about that stupid fucking thing again and you are so not helping D:

#22 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@algertman said:

Anita Sarkeesian tweeted she hates the game.

https://twitter.com/femfreq

So here's the thing. Since the gaming press is filled with white knights and people who refuse to call her out for not having a single YouTube video ready yet will they start to back track on DmC? This game reviewed well and currently in the mid 80's range on metacritic with reviewers.

Just because she doesn't like the game, doesn't mean its an issue of the quality of Ninja Theory's DmC versus the original series. She most likely, just didn't enjoy the game.

I assure you that she would have an issue with all the original series tropes with women.

#23 Posted by tarvis (75 posts) -

I dunno. I watched that Quick Look and the camera had some pretty stupid framing for Kat. I would prefer that it didn't.

#24 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4798 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Scam artist who stole $160,000 from white knights says she hates a great video game.

We give a shit why?

but what he wanted was for us to have another tired argument about that stupid fucking thing again and you are so not helping D:

So what? We should just forget that she stole $160,000 from people?

I have no problem if someone brings that up every goddamn time that piece of shit's name is brought up on any message board, conversation, anything anywhere. People shouldn't sweep it under the rug or try to forget about it because she's got a vagina.

#25 Posted by Pazy (2576 posts) -

I stopped caring about her long ago. Im all for equality with women but she comes across as just being a very angry person, picking fights with anything she can find. The Kickstarter is another reason to dislike her.

#26 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

@Animasta: First off, I agree 100% with the wish that people would just stop bringing her up. The only ones that do want to stir the hive, and nothing more. But, since she does get brought up....

I just wish she'd go into more detail. Yeah, I know that's more or less counter to the very idea of Twitter, but this doesn't seem like the kind of thing you broadcast on Twitter and nowhere else, lest you receive the type of reaction that she often seems to. Not having played DmC I'm actually quite curious as to where she's drawing her conclusions from; most places have praised Kat, the female lead, as a well fleshed out and thoughtful character which I thought was going to be a big plus for her.

The devil's in the details, fittingly enough.

#27 Posted by Deusx (1904 posts) -

Uggghhhh I hope for Anita to live her life happily and for everyone here to not care about her or any other drama surrounding fucking video games.

#28 Posted by AjayRaz (12427 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@TooWalrus said:

I CAN'T SHRUG HARD ENOUGH TO EXPRESS MY OPINION ON THIS!

this would imply that you care though!

you couldn't... shrug slighter enough?

i just shrugged so hard that i dislocated my shoulders

it would be a bad idea to shrug slighter enough

#29 Posted by Hunter5024 (5670 posts) -

@Animasta said:

giantest cunt that ever cunted the cunt or fucking whatever

I thought the "cunt" word was off limits ever since the "other f" debacle?

#30 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Scam artist who stole $160,000 from white knights says she hates a great video game.

We give a shit why?

but what he wanted was for us to have another tired argument about that stupid fucking thing again and you are so not helping D:

So what? We should just forget that she stole $160,000 from people?

I have no problem if someone brings that up every goddamn time that piece of shit's name is brought up on any message board, conversation, anything anywhere. People shouldn't sweep it under the rug or try to forget about it because she's got a vagina.

so we should post whenever her twitter updates and beat on her mercelessly every time she comes up? (I guess the answer is yes according to your vitriol)

next time she does a kickstarter don't give her any fucking money, problem solved! If she was going to take the money and run I assume she wouldn't be posting on her twitter feed though

@Hunter5024: sweep was posting cunt in that topic actually so no it is not!

#31 Posted by TruthTellah (9032 posts) -

Only those whom hate her seem to give her any exposure at all.

I have never heard anyone cite her or say something about her as though she is an authority whose opinions matter. There will always be people who have dumb opinions on twitter. If you just ignore her, she will practically not even exist anymore.

#32 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@golguin

@MariachiMacabre said:

Who the fuck gives a shit? I'm perfectly happy to criticize her for not delivering on her Kickstarter but this is in NO WAY related to that. So she doesn't like the game. Is she supposed to just parrot what other reviewers are saying about it? Jeff hates RDR, I don't see anyone attempting to crucify him. From what I've seen of DmC, it looks awesome but attacking her for not liking it is pathetic.

Jeff's hate for RDR is no reason to crucify him. It's a reason to throw your hands up in disbelief.

Oh yeah. I'm saying no one attacks his weird tastes as viciously as they attack the tastes of certain other members of the gaming press. No one should be attacked at all for their tastes in video games, obviously.
#33 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4798 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Scam artist who stole $160,000 from white knights says she hates a great video game.

We give a shit why?

but what he wanted was for us to have another tired argument about that stupid fucking thing again and you are so not helping D:

So what? We should just forget that she stole $160,000 from people?

I have no problem if someone brings that up every goddamn time that piece of shit's name is brought up on any message board, conversation, anything anywhere. People shouldn't sweep it under the rug or try to forget about it because she's got a vagina.

so we should post whenever her twitter updates and beat on her mercelessly every time she comes up? (I guess the answer is yes according to your vitriol)

next time she does a kickstarter don't give her any fucking money, problem solved! If she was going to take the money and run I assume she wouldn't be posted on her twitter feed though

Except for the part where she can because nobody, and I mean nobody has tried holding her accountable for her scumbag behaviour except for the people who went "Yep, saw that coming." And even then it's more just smug "I told you so" from that crowd.

And for the record, I didn't give her any money. Doesn't mean I can't call her the shitty human being that she is for taking advantage of a bunch of people and running off with their cashy money.

#34 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

@Animasta said:

giantest cunt that ever cunted the cunt or fucking whatever

I thought the "cunt" word was off limits ever since the "other f" debacle?

#35 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

@Animasta said:

@TooWalrus said:

I CAN'T SHRUG HARD ENOUGH TO EXPRESS MY OPINION ON THIS!

this would imply that you care though!

you couldn't... shrug slighter enough?

i just shrugged so hard that i dislocated my shoulders

it would be a bad idea to shrug slighter enough

I practically threw up when I shrugged to this.

#36 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -
#37 Posted by bonbolapti (1612 posts) -

Well Kat is a horribly written character that sets women back a bit, so she isn't wrong.

#38 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I was going to ask who Feminist Frequency is, but I think I have my answer?

#39 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

If people weren't commenting about how they didn't care then this thread would be dead by now.

Did Anita Sarkeesian write a full review for this game? Is there a site that she writes for? I wasn't aware she really did much outside of youtube videos.

#40 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Scam artist who stole $160,000 from white knights says she hates a great video game.

We give a shit why?

but what he wanted was for us to have another tired argument about that stupid fucking thing again and you are so not helping D:

So what? We should just forget that she stole $160,000 from people?

I have no problem if someone brings that up every goddamn time that piece of shit's name is brought up on any message board, conversation, anything anywhere. People shouldn't sweep it under the rug or try to forget about it because she's got a vagina.

so we should post whenever her twitter updates and beat on her mercelessly every time she comes up? (I guess the answer is yes according to your vitriol)

next time she does a kickstarter don't give her any fucking money, problem solved! If she was going to take the money and run I assume she wouldn't be posted on her twitter feed though

Except for the part where she can because nobody, and I mean nobody has tried holding her accountable for her scumbag behaviour except for the people who went "Yep, saw that coming." And even then it's more just smug "I told you so" from that crowd.

And for the record, I didn't give her any money. Doesn't mean I can't call her the shitty human being that she is for taking advantage of a bunch of people and running off with their cashy money.

it's almost like if you ignore the problem (her) she will go away just like how people say that if you ignore swear words they can't hurt and racism/sexism will go away

and, um, plenty of people are holding her accountable, as we have people like you and OP for bringing her up constantly? I don't exactly know what you mean by accountable I guess

like I don't know why you think she's going to, like, come out clean from this; she's not, no one is going to give her money like this ever again.

#41 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I was going to ask who Feminist Frequency is, but I think I have my answer?

#42 Posted by Getz (3006 posts) -

@algertman said:

So here's the thing. Since the gaming press is filled with white knights and people who refuse to call her out for not having a single YouTube video ready yet will they start to back track on DmC?

The gaming press doesn't touch Anita Sarkeesian because it's a fucking powder keg, not because they're "white knights." It's a little early to start the witch-hunt just yet.

And while we're talking about this, fuck off with this term, white knight. I'll be damned if we should start ridiculing every single person who sticks up for people just because we feel insecure and don't wanna talk about real issues. If I see you sexually harassing someone, or otherwise being an ignorant bigot I am going to call you out on it right there, I don't care what kind of ad hominem you wanna throw at me.

#43 Edited by Spike_Kojima (56 posts) -

I'm a few hours into DmC on the PC and I love the gameplay and the level design but come on, women really aren't shown in a good light. Pretty much all the women so far beside Dante's mother and Kat have been just empty one dimensional sexual playthings. Kat is treated like a kid and hides whenever there's any action and Dante's mother was murdered in her home. Fuck do I know , tho.

#44 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4798 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

Scam artist who stole $160,000 from white knights says she hates a great video game.

We give a shit why?

but what he wanted was for us to have another tired argument about that stupid fucking thing again and you are so not helping D:

So what? We should just forget that she stole $160,000 from people?

I have no problem if someone brings that up every goddamn time that piece of shit's name is brought up on any message board, conversation, anything anywhere. People shouldn't sweep it under the rug or try to forget about it because she's got a vagina.

so we should post whenever her twitter updates and beat on her mercelessly every time she comes up? (I guess the answer is yes according to your vitriol)

next time she does a kickstarter don't give her any fucking money, problem solved! If she was going to take the money and run I assume she wouldn't be posted on her twitter feed though

Except for the part where she can because nobody, and I mean nobody has tried holding her accountable for her scumbag behaviour except for the people who went "Yep, saw that coming." And even then it's more just smug "I told you so" from that crowd.

And for the record, I didn't give her any money. Doesn't mean I can't call her the shitty human being that she is for taking advantage of a bunch of people and running off with their cashy money.

it's almost like if you ignore the problem (her) she will go away just like how people say that if you ignore swear words they can't hurt and racism/sexism will go away

and, um, plenty of people are holding her accountable, as we have people like you and OP for bringing her up constantly? I don't exactly know what you mean by accountable I guess

like I don't know why you think she's going to, like, come out clean from this; she's not, no one is going to give her money like this ever again.

Holding her accountable would be kickstarter or somebody else going after her ass for not fulfilling her end of the kickstarter deal. I think the poor bastards who saw a woman getting kicked around and gave her money for her cause should get refunded. And it should come from her, even if she spent the money already.

I don't understand how such a noble crusader for morality and progressive behaviour can be completely A-OKAY with a dirtbag hoodwinking others like you out of $160,000. I don't get it.

#45 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I don't agree but I can see why she would think that.

#46 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

I'm pretty sure Anita Sarkeesian can't walk two steps without being offended by something.

but yeah, who the fuck cares.

#47 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: so do we need to keep bringing her up for your 'getting dat paper' scenario to occur? I mean if the people who donated to the series feel this way and complain enough fine but why do people like you care?

I know why the people on 4chan/reddit care, because they were the catalyst of her getting so much money in the first place, but why do you?

(I didn't donate either because I'm not going to fucking donate for a video series because I am not an idiot)

#48 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4798 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Oldirtybearon: so do we need to keep bringing her up for your 'getting dat paper' scenario to occur? I mean if the people who donated to the series feel this way and complain enough fine but why do people like you care?

I know why the people on 4chan/reddit care, because they were the catalyst of her getting so much money in the first place, but why do you?

(I didn't donate either because I'm not going to fucking donate for a video series because I am not an idiot)

I care because I don't like seeing bad people get away with shit because good people can't be bothered.

#49 Posted by Krullban (1036 posts) -

Is everything on the planet misogynistic to this woman?

#50 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@Getz

@algertman said:

So here's the thing. Since the gaming press is filled with white knights and people who refuse to call her out for not having a single YouTube video ready yet will they start to back track on DmC?

The gaming press doesn't touch Anita Sarkeesian because it's a fucking powder keg, not because they're "white knights." It's a little early to start the witch-hunt just yet.

And while we're talking about this, fuck off with this term, white knight. I'll be damned if we should start ridiculing every single person who sticks up for people just because we feel insecure and don't wanna talk about real issues. If I see you sexually harassing someone, or otherwise being an ignorant bigot I am going to call you out on it right there, I don't care what kind of ad hominem you wanna throw at me.

+1. Criticize her all you want for not having anything for her Kickstarter but when you descend into sexism and bigotry, go fuck yourself. I'd rather be a "white knight" than on the side of assholes like that any day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.