Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

How do you feel about the new DmC

• 63 results
    Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheJohn

Judging from your avatar, I kinda think I know what you mean with "DmC", but still... You should probably try to make your poll a little clearer for those of us who can't read your thoughts.

Just posting in the correct forum would probably help

Hargreaves93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Hargreaves93

I'm in between at the moment. I saw the video Giantbomb had a couple of days ago and it sparked quite a lot of interest from me. Being a big fan of the previous games I wasn't too sure about this one, but that trailer has re-ignited my interest.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

I was never a DmC guy, but I'm way into Ninja Theory.
    So I'll probably give it a go when it comes out. Maybe wait for a price drop or something. See how the reviews are.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@TheJohn said:

Judging from your avatar, I kinda think I know what you mean with "DmC", but still... You should probably try to make your poll a little clearer for those of us who can't read your thoughts.

Just posting in the correct forum would probably help

good call. sorry about that.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By phantomzxro

Not a fan of the new take on DmC just seems like a big F U to long time fans. But i'm trying to keep an open mind and won't condemn it until after i played it.

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Packie

Cautiously optimistic.

I like the visual design and combat looks cool so far. What I'm worried about is the 30 FPS limit, plus I don't think it'll maintain a stable framerate if NT's Enslaved is anything to go by. Also the combat in previous DMC games have always been fluid and smooth as butter. Enslaved suffered horrible input lag issues and I'm worried that will be carried over to DMC.

I just hope Ninja Theory doesn't screw up the combat. That's all I care about in a DMC game.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Canteu

@Packie: everything you just said = my feelings exactly

I couldn't play Enslaved because of the piece of shit combat system. Let's hope they get some instructions on how to do it properly for the new DMC.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@Packie said:

Cautiously optimistic.

I like the visual design and combat looks cool so far. What I'm worried about is the 30 FPS limit, plus I don't think it'll maintain a stable framerate if NT's Enslaved is anything to go by. Also the combat in previous DMC games have always been fluid and smooth as butter. Enslaved suffered horrible input lag issues and I'm worried that will be carried over to DMC.

I just hope Ninja Theory doesn't screw up the combat. That's all I care about in a DMC game.

@Canteu said:

I couldn't play Enslaved because of the piece of shit combat system. Let's hope they get some instructions on how to do it properly for the new DMC.

Couple of things: from everything I've read, combat is locked at 30fps meaning it won't drop, and I looked up some other 30FPS games for comparison and God of War 3 was around the 30FPS mark. It won't be like Enslaved because Namco evidently rushed them to put the game out before holiday (that may or may not be true but the state of that games visuals and frame rate when compared to Heavenly Sword seem to align with that story). Also, they have designed with 30fps in mind saying that it will feel like a 60fps game by tweaking animations and other aspects of the combat (sounds like PR speak, but it could happen). Combat has been hammered out by both NT and Capcom of Japan including the director for DMC 2-4 meaning that the game will have a fantastic combat system as per usual.

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By NyxFe

@Canteu said:

They should just remake the combat from DMC3 exactly, I certainly wouldn't complain.

I can't really form an opinion until I get a feel for the gameplay. I absolutely despise the new Dante design though.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Toxin066

I used to be like hell naw, but now I'm all "Yo, it might be aight."

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By spankingaddict

A. I really like Ninja Theory , so...

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ultimatepunchrod
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss

Looks alright to me.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sickVisionz

Never played the others but I always heard that the PS3 action game Ninja Theory made (I can't remember the name) had poo-poo quality combat, which made me scratch my head as to why Capcom through the towel in Bayonetta, God of War, DMC war and went with a dev who was bad to meh and this type of combat. Disinterest perfectly describes my feelings about the new one.

I don't care about the changed character design though. Gameplay > everything else about a game. Especially in a game like this where the story is nonsense and is pretty much only there to allow for gameplay mechanics or wild stages.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By vaiz

It looks like it could be good, and they've actually altered Dante's design in a subtle way since the initial reveal so he looks much less like a meth addict. Now, if people want to keep throwing around the emo label because he has black hair, fine 'n dandy, but I'll wait to play the game. Or at least a demo.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By beforet

Hell I'm down. I'm not much for franchise loyalty.

ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

@sickVisionz said:

Never played the others but I always heard that the PS3 action game Ninja Theory made (I can't remember the name) had poo-poo quality combat, which made me scratch my head as to why Capcom through the towel in Bayonetta, God of War, DMC war and went with a dev who was bad to meh and this type of combat. Disinterest perfectly describes my feelings about the new one.

I don't care about the changed character design though. Gameplay > everything else about a game. Especially in a game like this where the story is nonsense and is pretty much only there to allow for gameplay mechanics or wild stages.

Heavenly Sword is the game you're thinking of. It had a good combat system without much need to use all of its facets of that combat, so it ended up being a button masher if you didn't care, and extremely rewarding if you tried. That won't be the case in this game, since Hideaki Itsuno co-designed the combat (he did DMC 2, 3, and 4) and made sure it was up to DMC standards. He also helped them design around the 30fps limit saying that it would feel as smooth as previous DMC games. Also, from what I understand, they are really trying to push story a lot harder here and make it a bigger part of the game, so you get good gameplay and good story. Just what I've heard in interviews though. Since I haven't played it, none of this may be true, but I doubt that it will be the absolute horrible mess that many DMC fans seem to think it will be.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By SMTDante89

I'm warming up to it, but that new look for Dante is still something I'm at least trying to adjust to.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Morrow

I never owned a PS2 (been a Nintendo kid for a long time), so DMC 4 was my first game of the franchise. But Dante has always been a character I took great interest in, simply because of his cool/handsome character design. I try not to act fangirlish tho :D

Of course I was looking forward to play Dante in future games back then, so I was very disappointed they just screwed over and redesigned what made DMC what it is. However, I am willing to give the game a chance. But to me, it's just not Dante anymore, and that'll keep me from enjoying the game as much as I would have with Dantes original character design.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gargantuan

Didn't care about the old ones and I never played them. I dislike that kind of silly stuff. The new one might be good  but I'll probably never play it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By Yummylee

I think it looks pretty great. I could not give a single shit towards the story, so the whole reboot thing from a plot perspective doesn't irk me any. Gameplay looks solid and that's precisely what I'm looking for from a DMC.

I've also never had a problem with the stylistic changes of Dante, either.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care what "Dante" looks like and I never played DMC4, only the first three. I'll wait until a demo before I judge it.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Morrow

Well, the more time passes, the more I start to get accustomed to Dantes redesign. The trailer with his ridiculously funny but somehow strangely sexy dress up sequence is actually not that bad at all.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By _Zombie_

D. I really do not care. Kind of lost interest in the game awhile ago.

Emilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Emilie

Dislike.

Game_Baron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Game_Baron

I'm interested in this.

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By betterboulder

Very interested in it. The combat looks good. I like Dante's design. It's on my wish list.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Palmlykta

I feel like it will have horrible input lag and 30 FPS capped, being developed by Ninja Theory. This makes me sad.

Don't care about the art style one way or the other, it's ok.

MalkavianJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MalkavianJD

@phantomzxro said:

Not a fan of the new take on DmC just seems like a big F U to long time fans.

I will never understand messages like this, replay DMC1 then go to DMC3. DMC1 had an atmospheric puzzle like experience while DMC3 changed the game completely into an over the top silly combo fest. DmC seems to be another change yet people complain like mad. DmC feels like a blend of DMC1 & 3 bringing back the puzzle like fights & bosses while still having a similar combo system and combat system that we know and love from DMC3 (without the different styles of course but who knows that may be in full version) I also see people complain of the voice acting and writing but i'm currently playing through DMCHD collection right now and it seems the writing is so awful and corny yet enjoyable in a cheesy way in all 3 of the games and hell even in 4. So what's to complain about, it blows my mind. Is it because of his looks?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F*** the new DMC game and everything it's trying to be.

I hate ninja theory and there games. F*** em. F*** em hard.

F*** you Capcom for letting them do this and slowly making me hate you for all your stupid ideas over the last year+. (Different discussion)

F*** the new look of Dante.

F*** this games combat.

F*** this games story.

and F*** everything else in and around this game.

I want everyone involved in this fiasco to die horribly.

Thank you for ruining one of my favorite video game characters and series by throwing a reboot at it. NONE OF THIS WAS NEEDED.

F*** everything about this game.

And now I'm going to leave because this game exists and I hate it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MalkavianJD said:

@phantomzxro said:

I will never understand messages like this, replay DMC1 then go to DMC3. DMC1 had an atmospheric puzzle like experience while DMC3 changed the game completely into an over the top silly combo fest. DmC seems to be another change yet people complain like mad. DmC feels like a blend of DMC1 & 3 bringing back the puzzle like fights & bosses while still having a similar combo system and combat system that we know and love from DMC3 (without the different styles of course but who knows that may be in full version) I also see people complain of the voice acting and writing but i'm currently playing through DMCHD collection right now and it seems the writing is so awful and corny yet enjoyable in a cheesy way in all 3 of the games and hell even in 4. So what's to complain about, it blows my mind. Is it because of his looks?

you basically summed up what i was gonna say. So this folks read this ^ lol

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nettacki

@MalkavianJD: No. It's because of everything else the game has to offer. Also, DmC's acting is pretty bad and forced so far, especially since it's supposed to be a more serious, grittier reboot that's not cheesy at all. Old DMC games at least had the excuse of the acting and writing being intentionally so bad it's good with a focus on the ridiculous. This new one has no excuse.

http://imgur.com/79XKW

Tell me. Is that a good premise to you? (download the full res photo and examine closely)

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm pretty excited ,though, I never really cared about the series before Ninja Theory came in.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Nettacki

To be honest, I was a fan of the first DMC and never played the others except 4. I still don't think this new reboot will be all that great. Maybe it'll be competent in gameplay, but I'm already turned off by the writing and characters.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Nettacki said:

To be honest, I was a fan of the first DMC and never played the others except 4. I still don't think this new reboot will be all that great. Maybe it'll be competent in gameplay, but I'm already turned off by the writing and characters.

I enjoyed the first couple DmCs despite their terrible writing and characters so I'm willing to give the new one a shot.

For me it will live or die by its gameplay, something I don't have much faith in Ninja Theory for, but something I think Capcom may have been able to help them with.

MalkavianJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MalkavianJD

@Nettacki said:

@MalkavianJD: No. It's because of everything else the game has to offer. Also, DmC's acting is pretty bad and forced so far, especially since it's supposed to be a more serious, grittier reboot that's not cheesy at all.

DMC1 & 2 were 100% serious. While 2 may have not been involved with Mikami nor Kamiya you can clearly tell Mikami put some thought into the story and plotline being serious in DMC1. Mikami has a tendency to make weird over the top games seem serious. Even the first few Resident Evils,Killer 7 & Shadows of the Damned. That's probably me just projecting since hell if I know if he takes his work serious. But I do know that it's heavily apparent on whatever projects Kamiya is left alone with he goes over the top not so serious "churazy" like DMC3 for example.

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Brighty

Game has been absolutely fascinating to watch in development. I can't remember the last time a reboot has been so controversial, and now with the game coming out in less than a few weeks it'll be interesting to see how much controversy sells (so far the game hasn't even cracked the Top 40 preorders on VGChartz, which is worrying).

If the combat was more up to snuff, I might have considered buying it, but there's no real reason at this point to purchase this game for the 360/PS3 unless you don't have a PC capable of running the port. The 360/PS3 version is a step down in every category by comparison. On a more personal level, I find it a little insulting from a consumer perspective how liberal they're defining the word "reboot" for this game, but then again it is Capcom.

The tone of Devil May Cry went from lighthearted drama to sophomoric moping. The problem is with tonal inconsistensy, old Dante worked because of the tone of his game and character while Donte has an irregular tone of his character and game.

Blah blah blah, I'm sure everyone's heard all of this before, and at this point your mind is made up if you're going to buy it or not. I think a lot of this game's development has been pretty gross though (not really Ninja Theory's fault as it is Capcom's, aside from the initial PR kerfluffle with Tameem Antonodias (?) saying them pretty inflammatory things about the old series in a 2010 interview which poured gasoline on the original backlash).

I'm more looking forward to seeing where the series goes after this - with such a splintered and divided fanbase - I'm interested in seeing what Capcom's next move will be.

madmanmaple89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By madmanmaple89

I know this is gonna sound mean to a lot of you but...

I saw the emo lookin' kid in the trailer like two years ago and thought "Yep, this looks g** and I have no interest in ever playing this."

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nikoran

I have no interest in it whatsoever. It's basically a middle-finger to long-time fans of the franchise and if this is successful, it will basically seal away the chance of getting DMC5.

MurderBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MurderBunny

NT have made it quite clear that old fans like me are not welcome any more. The more i hear about the combat system the more casual and button mashy it seem to be and change the things i like about the combat in favor or easy time for casuals.

nightonyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nightonyx

@MurderBunny: That's exactly how I feel as well. NT really ruined any interest I have in the game with their treatment of old fans. I mean even though I don't want a reboot, I don't necessarily think the game looks terrible. However, it's how NT has treated fans of the old games that has made me not even want to play it. I'll never forget their response to the criticisms a while back where they basically told the old fans to shut up and that their complaints meant nothing and that they secretly liked the game. They should have handled it much better, maybe used that as an opportunity to show why that even though it's a reboot, it will still be a fun and great DMC game.

Also show off the new direction you are taken with the game and with Dante, kind of like what Crystal Dynamic has done so well with Tomb Raider and Lara. The new Dante has been such a big source of the criticism of the game, and I still haven't seen them say anything interesting about him and what makes him special from the old Dante. All I've seen is them saying that the old Dante look dumb and wasn't cool so we wanted to make him look edgier and modern. How is saying stuff like that suppose to win points with the old fans? Idk, the way they've responded to the old fans has just felt like a slap in the face to them, and it just really annoyed me and has stuck with me. So instead of being interested to see new stuff about the game whenever an article or video shows up, I'm reminded of that. I'm sure there is a lot of really talented and good people there at NT, but I swear the lead guys who do the talking just come off as douchebags and makes me really not want to give them any of my money, no matter how the game turns out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
    deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played the original DMCs and I really like Ninja Theory so I'm looking for to this.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Xel

I like how many people who are interested haven't played a DMC game before. The game looks decent at best, but it's not in the same league as the previous DMC games. I'd have given it a shot, but NT have been so putrid in their responses towards old fans that I'm just not interested anymore.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Miketakon

@Toxin066 said:

I used to be like hell naw, but now I'm all "Yo, it might be aight."

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sean2206

I rented 2 and 3 and played most of 4. I've never been a huge fan but this looks like an interesting take on the games and a good jumping on point for newer players.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By phantomzxro

@MalkavianJD said:

@phantomzxro said:

I'm late but I don't understand you not understanding. Your free to like and enjoy DmC and I'm sure DmC in its own right will be an ok game. But how everything happened from day one have been nothing but a big troll to long time fans. I almost would bet it was on purpose to get any and all eyes on the game. How PR has handle the feedback has all been very boldly rejecting anything longtime fans have to say.

Now to your direct point i have played all games at least more then once and your assessment is not wrong but not really 100% true. The first dmc is only a product of its root. The reason it had puzzles and light exploring is because it was still using the same blueprint of Resident Evil being that it was originally going to be a resident evil spin off game. The combat is the bead and butter of dmc so over the top silly combo fest is what its all about.

Also the combat system from dmc3 is not the same as DmC i would even say far from it. You stating that the style switching is not in the game is 100% why. The combat is more akin to heavenly sword with the normal, heavy, and light stances. Again this is not bad but clearly not the same as past dmc games. Your last point on the voice acting being cheesy goodness may be a fair point. But again the tones and acting are very different. DmC is trying for a way more edgy teen fighting the world attitude. This is not the same as past dmc games which dealt with a likeable guy who was never quite as cool as he thinks and can laugh at himself who ultimately comes to terms with his linage and responsibility.

That in a nutshell is why so many people are up at arms and no disrespect to you but your part of the problem. You keep pointing out how much the same they are and can only throw that he looks different is the only valid reason people are mad. That is not true, it like telling someone a lemon is an orange because its looks close enough like one. Hearing that repeatedly could be madding if you know the difference. This is a different game from top to bottom from past dmc game and that is the facts. You dress someone up in a red coat and give him attitude does not make the same person. You throw a combo system that allows you to air jiggle and pull off a stinger does not just make it dmc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.