Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

I already like the new Dante more.

• 52 results
    saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Edited By saddlebrown

If you haven't played the new DmC: Devil May Cry demo yet, you should get on that. I just finished playing it myself and I've got to say, it is one hot slice of pie. The new Dante—who seems like one of the most universally hated redesigns of a character in recent history if Internet message boards are to be believed (and really, when aren't they?)—already appeals to me way more than the old Dante ever did.

Old Dante will always be defined for me by that ridiculous cutscene where he's eating pizza and fighting demons, flipping chairs and striking poses, all the while spouting cheesy lines like, "This party's getting crazy! Let's rock!" and "I can already tell, looks like this is going to be one hell of a party!" It reeked of trying too hard to be cool.

Is new Dante trying a little too hard to be edgy? Sure, but I'll take that over old Dante any day.

The writing is a lot subtler here and Dante has a simple, straightforward charm. He and his companion, Kat, run into danger and split up. They reunite a few minutes later.

"There you are!" Kat exclaims, relieved to see him.

"Here I am," Dante says with easy confidence.

Still, this new Dante is no stranger to cocky flamboyance, but now it's refreshing instead of being cringe-inducing. At least in this demo, it never feels forced.

Step 1: Flip them up. Step 2: Shoot them. Yep, the classic Devil May Cry experience is still intact.
    Step 1: Flip them up. Step 2: Shoot them. Yep, the classic Devil May Cry experience is still intact.

It helps that the new game seems like it'll actually be fun to play, a quaint little concept that the old games never seemed to care for, preferring to revel in their unrelenting difficulty like Ninja Gaiden with skintight leather pants and a curious aversion to wearing a shirt. By the time I'd gotten through the first fight in Devil May Cry 3, I was ready to put the game down already. It was exhausting.

DmC lets you ramp the difficulty up to sadomasochistic levels if you're into that kind of thing, but it seems more concerned in just making sure you're having a good time. It smartly uses its loading screens to demonstrate the kind of crazy, super long combo you can get yourself into if you can manage to wrap your head around everything Dante can do.

He's got you covered if you're just looking to flip guys into the air and shoot them with two pistols, but the real fun lies in his new angel and devil attacks. Hold L2 for the angel mode and Dante will pull out a scythe great for quick, stylish combos, or R2 for his devil mode for a flaming axe all about big swings and heavy damage. Sometimes enemies will require one or the other, but most of the time, you're free to go with whatever strikes your fancy. And for me, that meant carving enemies with my spinning scythe high above the ground. You know, like an angel.

Dante can also use his angel and devil modes to launch himself toward an enemy or pull it to him, respectively. It's a cool carryover from Devil May Cry 4 that makes it really easy to keep moving through the fight and keep the pace up. Be aggressive enough and you'll be able to activate Devil Trigger mode that brings Dante back to his white-haired, red-jacketed roots and grinds the world around him to a standstill.

But the coolest part of the demo is undoubtedly Limbo City. It's the city itself more than anything that wants Dante dead, reshaping itself at will to break him, bury him, kill him.

As Dante passes through an alleyway, buildings desperate to crush him grate together violently. The word "FALL" scrawls onto a cobblestone road as it breaks apart beneath Dante's feet and stretches impossibly, ripping a bellowing chasm below. The world shifts angrily at Dante's presence, a howling whisper piercing, "KILL DANTE."

It's the kind of reality-bending fantasy I've wanted to see in games for a long time, executed marvelously here.

The old guard Devil May Cry fans can lament the death of their dear Dante all they want. I couldn't be more happy with the change.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By saddlebrown

If you haven't played the new DmC: Devil May Cry demo yet, you should get on that. I just finished playing it myself and I've got to say, it is one hot slice of pie. The new Dante—who seems like one of the most universally hated redesigns of a character in recent history if Internet message boards are to be believed (and really, when aren't they?)—already appeals to me way more than the old Dante ever did.

Old Dante will always be defined for me by that ridiculous cutscene where he's eating pizza and fighting demons, flipping chairs and striking poses, all the while spouting cheesy lines like, "This party's getting crazy! Let's rock!" and "I can already tell, looks like this is going to be one hell of a party!" It reeked of trying too hard to be cool.

Is new Dante trying a little too hard to be edgy? Sure, but I'll take that over old Dante any day.

The writing is a lot subtler here and Dante has a simple, straightforward charm. He and his companion, Kat, run into danger and split up. They reunite a few minutes later.

Still, this new Dante is no stranger to cocky flamboyance, but now it's refreshing instead of being cringe-inducing. At least in this demo, it never feels forced.

It helps that the new game seems like it'll actually be fun to play, a quaint little concept that the old games never seemed to care for, preferring to revel in their unrelenting difficulty like Ninja Gaiden with skintight leather pants and a curious aversion to wearing a shirt. By the time I'd gotten through the first fight in Devil May Cry 3, I was ready to put the game down already. It was exhausting.

DmC lets you ramp the difficulty up to sadomasochistic levels if you're into that kind of thing, but it seems more concerned in just making sure you're having a good time. It smartly uses its loading screens to demonstrate the kind of crazy, super long combo you can get yourself into if you can manage to wrap your head around everything Dante can do.

He's got you covered if you're just looking to flip guys into the air and shoot them with two pistols, but the real fun lies in his new angel and devil attacks. Hold L2 for the angel mode and Dante will pull out a scythe great for quick, stylish combos, or R2 for his devil mode for a flaming axe all about big swings and heavy damage. Sometimes enemies will require one or the other, but most of the time, you're free to go with whatever strikes your fancy. And for me, that meant carving enemies with my spinning scythe high above the ground. You know, like an angel.

Dante can also use his angel and devil modes to launch himself toward an enemy or pull it to him, respectively. It's a cool carryover from Devil May Cry 4 that makes it really easy to keep moving through the fight and keep the pace up. Be aggressive enough and you'll be able to activate Devil Trigger mode that brings Dante back to his white-haired, red-jacketed roots and grinds the world around him to a standstill.

But the coolest part of the demo is undoubtedly Limbo City. It's the city itself more than anything that wants Dante dead, reshaping itself at will to break him, bury him, kill him.

As Dante passes through an alleyway, buildings desperate to crush him grate together violently. The word "FALL" scrawls onto a cobblestone road as it breaks apart beneath Dante's feet and stretches impossibly, ripping a bellowing chasm below. The world shifts angrily at Dante's presence, a howling whisper piercing, "KILL DANTE."

It's the kind of reality-bending fantasy I've wanted to see in games for a long time, executed marvelously here.

The old guard Devil May Cry fans can lament the death of their dear Dante all they want. I couldn't be more happy with the change.

Onkel_Apan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Onkel_Apan

@whatisdelicious said:

i get the feeling like he has the mentality of a 12 year old. The writing in the demo was awful. there is still hope that Donte starts out as a annoying brat and in the end comes to term what a shitty person he was.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands

Devil May Cry 4 has the best Dante. I mean, look at thesevideos.

I dig a lot of what I have played of the DmC demo including the angel and demon weapons and am totally excited to play it (after I hear that it is not glitchy, since the demo was for me). New Dante seems pretty cool. He's no DMC4 Dante, but he still seems to fit nicely into what I think of when I think of Dante. At least from what I have seen.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By AngelN7

The old Dante was fine too , sure he was suuuper chesy and corny but that's the point also you picked his worsts lines! but I see what you're saying I think the new Dante is great and still feels like the cocky brat he always was (though I wasn't a fan of the "No fuck you!" thing with the demon boss/larva thing old Dante would've say something like watch your manners! there are kids watching or something) plus Ninja Theory will probably flesh out his character and the world he lives more than before.

Also DMC4 Dante is the best Dante.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By saddlebrown

@Onkel_Apan: I guess I just preferred their quirky but not wordy version of Dante to the trying-way-too-hard party boy that the last Dante felt like. This guy's lighthearted, sure, so that might be where you're getting the 12-year-old mentality from, but that's what I like about him. It could easily go real bad real quick in the rest of the game, but so far, I really liked it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By csl316
    @AngelN7 DMC 4 Dante gives zero shits. He's so unhinged, it's a beautiful thing.
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SuperWristBands

@AngelN7: *highfive

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By saddlebrown

@SuperWristBands: I guess that style is too... theatrical for me. It's more ambitious for sure, but it's also pretty goofy. Probably why I really didn't like Bayonetta either.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#9  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@whatisdelicious said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8M5_E8L100&t=0m44s

Subtle.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By saddlebrown

@Taku128: In the demo, it's pretty subtle. That example is obviously not so subtle, but it's still simple and straightforward. It's actually kind of cool that they didn't have him yell it, just write it and say, "I'm in."

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#11  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Everything I've seen for this game has been laughably "edgy", from characters throwing the word fuck around every five seconds, to completely transparent allegories for real life conservative parties like Fox News, and all of the recent interviews with the actors are dubstepped the fuck out both audibly and visually. This game looks embarrassing and I've never even PLAYED any of the old DMCs. And there's definitely nothing subtle about any of it, they just swapped deliberately cheesy cool to a laughable attempt at actually being edgy and badass.

Onkel_Apan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Onkel_Apan

@whatisdelicious: It would have been a lot better if he had written Dante.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Taku128 said:

@whatisdelicious said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8M5_E8L100&t=0m44s

Subtle.

Other than writing "FUCK YOU" on the list I think that little scene is great. His facial expression and, if you'll allow me, his "devil may care" attitude really works for me. But, yeah, seems like there may be a lotta "FUCK YOU!"s in the game. Hopefully they aren't all as awkward as the one with the demo boss.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zella

Yeah DMC 4 Dante(imo the best part of DMC4) is the best so far, though I really like the new one. He's more aggressive in his dialogue than the old one. His personality is just another example how NT really didn't change DMC at it's core, they just made a western version. Dante is still an utter badass, except instead of the flashy wise-cracking badass that you'd see in anime and stuff you get the darker more insulting badass that we see in western culture. I am enjoying the demo too, it's different from previous games though that's not a bad thing. It still has the DMC feel, just it's more juggling based rather than dodging based, which makes sense gameplay progression wise because of how Nero played in DMC 4.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By spankingaddict

Everything about this DMC seems like a step forward for the franchise . I'm excited !

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Klei

@Onkel_Apan said:

i get the feeling like he has the mentality of a 12 year old. The writing in the demo was awful. there is still hope that Donte starts out as a annoying brat and in the end comes to term what a shitty person he was.

I disagree with you. He reacts like I would in his situation and I thought the writing to be pretty good. I liked that the boss actually acts like a sentient being, and not only an evil entity that only exists to be a boss fight. But hey, it's my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Im getting pretty god dang tired of "fuck old dante, huraaay new Dante" reverse strategy, trying to either get symphaty from like minded people(idiots imo) or stir up thr hate in the old fans. Stop it, seriously. Its been done a million times now and youre not bringing anything new to the discussion other than trying to rip up old wounds by now.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Old style Dante was more of the Japanese version of cool with his more flamboyant and in your face nature. Old Dante's voice had a more stage like delivery as well that complimented that. The fact that it was so over the top was the reason he's so memorable and beloved. That has it's own charm.

New Dante (at least from the demo) is more reserved. The voice acting is fantastic but doesn't really sound like a DmC game. It sounds more realistic and self-serious. The dialog they had was terrible, look at that boss battle alone. Also the "Seems to drag on... Church" line was cringe worthy. New Dante also speaks highly of himself without really having done anything to prove himself yet and that quality comes off as annoying.

As for the game being more "fun" than the previous ones, eh. You not getting past the difficulty is unfortunate but the difficulty was part of what made the old DmC games so fun. The demo didn't really have that feeling. I shouldn't have been able to get through the level with an A rank my first time on the highest difficulty.

I think the level design is fantastic and the presentation is amazing though so I am at least interested in the final product. Hopefully there's more context for Dante's attitude, right now he seems like a teenager abusing his strength. And I hope to all that is holy that the dialog preceding that boss fight is not an indicator of what's to come because... goddamn, what the fuck?

Also people complaining about dubstep in the new game. Remember the weird ultra metal music in the old games. I think it's more of a natural progression. Any way I liked the music in the demo.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phantomzxro

i can't say i agree about the new dante or the combat. i think it will be a fine game and i hope all enjoy it as such. but after the demo it not as tight as the combat in older games. it really just a different game and i think you have to look at it that way. new dante seem very uninterenting and trys to hard with being funny or witty. " im your date you bag of sh*t" or something close to this is the charm i have to look forward to coming from new dante. say what you will about old dante but he never had to try and be edgy or hardcore to be cool or funny. this new kat person seem very throwaway when the past games had cooler females leads. kat just seem like new dante's navi or Fi for newer zelda fans. anyway thats my two cents on DmC, i may sound negtive but i think they made a stand up game and more power to everyone to enjoys it but this is a different game.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By beforet

So I think I may have room in my heart for both Dantes? I don't know, it just doesn't seem to be a case of mutual exclusivity here.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Sooty

You can't beat Old Dante percent. Also he was amazing fun in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 / Ultimate, so I will prefer the old one still.

Either way this is all dumb because they might as well have just made an entirely new character, makes no sense rebooting Dante or Vergil with new looks when they were already somewhat iconic, the new one won't be because DMC is no longer something new, it used to be and that's why he is iconic, he was at the helm of what was once a unique style of game.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22  Edited By Raven10

I thought the whole Fuck You thing before the boss battle was awful but otherwise I thought the writing was at least as good as previous games which were pretty terribly written. I would say in general it was better. As for the gameplay, it seemed like there was a lot of depth there. It wasn't as fast or responsive as the previous games, which is a shame. But on the flipside the lower framerate lead to some really awesome looking sequences. I always thought the old Dante was poorly drawn and terribly written. I played the games for the excellent gameplay. Never thought any other part of them were very good. So if this game can have great combat, and a story that makes sense then I will be pleased. The art for me is cool. Different, but cool. I like Dante's look better than the old one so I'm looking forward to the final release.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By saddlebrown

@SethPhotopoulos: I totally forgot about the music. I really liked their choices. My housemate and I were both thinking that they should just cut to the chase and put Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" in there. Also, by "hardest difficulty setting," did you mean the unlockable one or just the default hard mode?

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@whatisdelicious said:

@SethPhotopoulos: I totally forgot about the music. I really liked their choices. My housemate and I were both thinking that they should just cut to the chase and put Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" in there. Also, by "hardest difficulty setting," did you mean the unlockable one or just the default hard mode?

The unlockable one.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By saddlebrown

@SethPhotopoulos: Wow, nice. I haven't actually tried that mode yet. I should do that tomorrow. Did you ever play the God of War games on their hardest?

@Jethuty: I've seen a lot more immediate hatred for this game and the redesigned Dante than support. But if you're seeing a lot of support for him after the demo, that would make sense, wouldn't it? Once people have had a chance to try it for themselves?

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@whatisdelicious said:

@SethPhotopoulos: Wow, nice. I haven't actually tried that mode yet. I should do that tomorrow. Did you ever play the God of War games on their hardest?

@Jethuty: I've seen a lot more immediate hatred for this game and the redesigned Dante than support. But if you're seeing a lot of support for him after the demo, that would make sense, wouldn't it? Once people have had a chance to try it for themselves?

I have played the original games on "Dante must Die" and "Heaven or Hell" as well as the hardest difficulty on some God of War games. And when new Dante was first revealed there were a lot of threads started that were about how the old Dante is lame because of some weird anti-japanese thing and how the new Dante was cool because fuck old Dante. And then there were threads about how they were both lame because both seem like they are trying to hard. It was a mini-war that got quiet up until Playstation Allstars and the demo.

leafhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By leafhouse

I was surprisingly stoked about checking out the demo and walked away feeling awful about the whole thing. Glad you saw something in it i didnt though

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By saddlebrown

@SethPhotopoulos: The God of War series is probably my all-time favorite, and even I can't bring myself to go through the hardest modes in there. Dreadful. And I haven't been following the Dante debates all that closely. Just seems to me that whenever I see any news on this game, there are like three or four comments that immediately just say, "Fuck the new Dante," or "Fuck this game," or "The new Dante looks like such a fag," or whatever. The only time I've been noticing people seeming excited has been in the last week or so.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By twigger89

@SuperWristBands said:

I dig a lot of what I have played of the DmC demo including the angel and demon weapons and am totally excited to play it (after I hear that it is not glitchy, since the demo was for me). New Dante seems pretty cool. He's no DMC4 Dante, but he still seems to fit nicely into what I think of when I think of Dante. At least from what I have seen.

That second video was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Were there really 4 games with a character with that level of shitty writing? Was a teenage boy the the lead writer or something?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By artelinarose

@twigger89 said:

@SuperWristBands said:

That second video was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Were there really 4 games with a character with that level of shitty writing? Was a teenage boy the the lead writer or something?

i am going to kick youuuuuu

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Brendan

@twigger89 said:

@SuperWristBands said:

Yeah I gotta agree, that is some of the worst writing I've ever been witness to.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deathbyyeti

I find myself agreeing with HyperBitHero from GatherYourParty on this game completely

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tidel

I thought the puke boss "FUCK YOU!" volley was hilarious, and potentially a good character moment.

New Dante is a cocky little shit, emphasis on 'little' -- he puts up this flippant, quippy veneer but is easily baited into a schoolyard "I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I" exchange... with a giant maggot barf monster. I think it's a big stretch to read that scene as trying too hard to be badass. It's emphatically not badass, and that's the point -- that's why it's funny. It's showing Dante, for all his posturing, is still immature. He has someplace to go as a character.

That's one thing I've been bothered by in the myriad criticism of the writing -- like that video where some dude calmly asserts new Dante is 'objectively' a bad character, based on everything we've seen. It presumes narrative is something that just sits there, and that character can be accurately read from a bunch of out-of-context soundbites. It reeks of agenda. People upset by Capcom's decision to reboot the franchise, looking for evidence the prove this game is bad, instead of just owning their disappointment. "I wish Capcom made DMC 5 instead of this," is perfectly reasonable, and impossible to argue against. "This game and everything about it is shit, because Tameem and emofag and 30 frames and if they just called it something else I wouldn't care," is nonsense.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pompouspizza

@whatisdelicious: I am 100% with you, I love 1 and 3, thought 2 and 4 were okay. I prefer where Ninja theory are going with the new Dante always thought they tried too hard last time to make him cool.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@DeathbyYeti said:

I find myself agreeing with HyperBitHero from GatherYourParty on this game completely

Who?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By musubi

I really enjoy the new Dante. The only thing we've seen from him is early game stuff. There is plenty of room for growth for him as a character. He is exactly what he needs to be as a character. Both Dante's are really not so far apart. The only thing that is disappointing to me is that we won't get a continuation of the old storyline. I really wanted more of Nero.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By saddlebrown

@Tidel: Exactly. That's specifically what I like about him. He's cocky, he's arrogant, he's immature. But he's simple, not wordy, and he's young. His exchanges are straightforward and often pretty funny. And he has plenty of room to grow.

I totally agree about the nonsense criticism of him too. People seem so ready to rip it up because it's not DMC5. I totally get that reaction, but it's silly. I wish God of War: Ascension was not a prequel. I think that's boring and Kratos has had more than enough prequel stories. But I'm not going to just write it off immediately as a result.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LikeaSsur

"You can call me Dante the Demon Killer. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

No, Dante, it doesn't. Everything so far about the new Dante's voice and mannerisms just scream "massive dick." The old Dante did not have any of that.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By saddlebrown

@LikeaSsur: He's young and brash. It's like how Bond became a brutal and rough rookie in Casino Royale. And believe me, maybe you didn't think old Dante was a dick, but there were definitely people who did.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#40  Edited By Hailinel

Young, brash, but still a dick, and a lot less likable than the original Dante.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LikeaSsur

@whatisdelicious: That's fantastic for those people, but I don't see how that has any bearing on what I think of the Dantes. Unless this new Dante does some serious growing up in this game, I don't see my opinion changing anytime soon. It just sucks that the game looks so fantastic, but the character is so unappealing.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SuperWristBands

@twigger89 said:

@SuperWristBands said:

Boo! Oh well, I can see why some wouldn't be pleased, it is pretty childish. Though the stupid bit about his dick is one of the more memorable moments of that game for me.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By apathylad

@Hailinel

Young, brash, but still a dick, and a lot less likable than the original Dante.

@Hailinel

@DeathbyYeti said:

Who?

This guy. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=489699&page;=1

Yeah, both Dante's are goofy, but the reason I don't like the new Dante is that the story takes itself a lot more seriously while still having a silly premise. From what I saw in the demo, Dante and Anonymous team up against Rush Limbaugh?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#44  Edited By Yummylee

I thought old Dante was OK, but I definitely prefer the new one. Better character design--I wish the camera was perhaps a little closer, though, as it makes Dante look kinda small--and significantly improved voice acting. His attitude frankly feels pretty much the exact same as it always has to me, but as someone else in here said, he's not quite as flamboyant and is more so 'realistic' in a sense. He's pretty much exactly what I would expect from a Western reinterpretation of Dante basically. With all that said, I'm actually more looking forward to learning about the new Vergil.

As for the writing, it never bothered me because in past games it's never been all that clever anyway; least now the lines will be delivered better. And I frankly thought that ''fuck you'' stand-off fitted, because as you learn through the ensuing boss battle, that lady demon... sack... thing, has an awfully filthy mouth.

Also just wtf is with this ''Donte'' thing? I assume it's because that's how the British pronounced Dante?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Klei

@Jethuty said:

Im getting pretty god dang tired of "fuck old dante, huraaay new Dante" reverse strategy, trying to either get symphaty from like minded people(idiots imo) or stir up thr hate in the old fans. Stop it, seriously. Its been done a million times now and youre not bringing anything new to the discussion other than trying to rip up old wounds by now.

So basically, people who don't share your opinion (about not liking the current Dante) are idiots? You're a brilliant man, yes, you are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Klei said:

@Jethuty said:

So basically, people who don't share your opinion (about not liking the current Dante) are idiots? You're a brilliant man, yes, you are.

Go do it in the other 12000 threads about this. and yes, more or less, mostly for the wrong reasons.

Thank you for acknowledging my brilliance.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By twigger89

@SuperWristBands said:

@twigger89 said:

@SuperWristBands said:

Boo! Oh well, I can see why some wouldn't be pleased, it is pretty childish. Though the stupid bit about his dick is one of the more memorable moments of that game for me.

It just seems like he is trying so hard to be impressive/awesome, he comes across as an attention seeking sociopath more than anything else. Like he's trying to be the joker, but doesn't have nearly the depth of character to pull it off.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Klei said:

@Jethuty said:

Besides the fact that he's being an asshole about it he has a point. "Fuck old Dante Yay new Dante" is about as annoying as the "New Dante fucking sucks but old Dante was the shit." Both sides come off as trying to hard to justify their chosen Dante's existence. And frankly both sides have mostly been assholes about it. Some people in this thread have been examples of both like when somebody said something along the lines of "This is my reasons for liking old Dante but ready to give new one a chance" then someone goes "Pfft, really? I'm fucking glad he ain't like that anymore." And then you have Jehuty. It's really fucking stupid.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WarlordPayne

Based on the demo new Dante is trying way too hard to be serious and "edgy." Old Dante was so ridiculous and over the top that it gave the games a very goofy lighthearted feel, which is welcome in a game that can be so brutal.

As for the gameplay, it fucking sucks. The game is easy as hell on everything but Son of Sparda difficulty, and that one is only about on par with Devil May Cry 1 and 3 on normal. My first run through the demo I chose the difficulty that was labeled as what DmC was meant to be or whatever, and could just mash my way through the whole thing with zero difficulty.

The controls are pretty screwed up, too. I can't fathom why they would put the ground dash on L1/R1 and the air dash on L2+X.

But worse than that was the fact that you spend more of the demo doing shitty platforming than you do fighting.

So they've managed to ruin Ninja Gaiden, which I never liked anyway, and Devil May Cry, and Bayonetta is locked to the Wii U. Are there any other series' that play similar to these that can pick up the slack, or is the genre kind of dead at this point?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.