I am actively disgusted by he GB community right now

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Vitor (2815 posts) -

EDIT: As many people have right pointed out, 'disgusted' was probably a bit of a superlative used in the heat of the moment, 'embarrassed' would have been a much better choice of words and better describes how I feel.

The comment section on Brad's review is filled with borderline petulant, self-entitled whining and insulting that makes the entire site look like the domain of spoilt 14 year olds.

I know that this is the internet and that we shouldn't expect people to respect a difference of opinion but, seriously, the level of vitriol is just completely unwarranted for what is a well-written and well-argued review. A game that you dislike due to preconceived notions and have no intention of every playing is getting critically praised? Oh what a crying shame, it really must be affecting your life so incredibly detrimentally.

I'd accept someone counter-arguing to point out flaws in the review itself but there's none of that, it's just people basing everything off of the marketing for the game. And it's not like marketing has ever misrepresented a product or done a disservice to the item being sold...

I'm not going to defend the game as I haven't played it yet (waiting for the, apparently, incredibly well optimised PC port) but I really didn't expect GB to spawn this much hate. I mean, fuck, even the Neogaf thread on DMC is more fucking civil than this.

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

It's like Lost Planet 2 all over again, only this time it's because of a positive review.

#3 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

my solution is laughing at it, personally!

so mad.

it's so great

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Well, now I have one more reason not to follow a game's development/community until after I've played through it.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Remeber the lost planet 2 stuff?

#6 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

or Catherine

#7 Edited by Ramone (2960 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

OH YOU MEAN THAT REVIEW BY BRAD "5 STAR" SHOEMAKER!?!?! Oh wait.

Get over it, one guy doesn't have the same opinion as you.

EDIT: I just realised this sort of looks like it's aimed at you, it isn't.

#8 Edited by Vitor (2815 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Totally don't at all, despite probably reading it at the time.

Man, I thought GB was so far above this sort of petty shit. While I'm a little angry at how incredibly narrow minded some people are being, I'm just so disappointed in this community. I know they don't speak for everyone here but when Neogaf seems like a refined English tea party in comparison, you do have to ask what the hell happened.

Had no idea GB was a hive for original DMC fans.

#9 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

What, am I fucking invisible over here? O_o

#10 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

@Animasta said:

so mad.

it's so great

Yeah you just need to do this.

Sad but literally go anywhere they are talking about DmC.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491746&page=336

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506089&page=46

Among other places.

Some people would never let this game win. Oh well. I'm laughing over here.

#11 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Disgusted? Really? There are plenty of things to be disgusted about, but people be rude on an internet forum probably isn't one of them.

#12 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

I don't always agree with a Brad review, but when I do I reevaluate my choice. Except Lost Planet 2 since that game sucked.

#13 Edited by Sanious (793 posts) -

I don't really get the outrage when the fact of the matter is no one is forcing anyone who doesn't like the game to play it. It clearly shows how childish these "fans" are when they are mad at people who like it. I understand not liking it and being disappointed but the absolute hate for this game from the get go has been absolutely embarrassing.

#14 Posted by believer258 (11773 posts) -

I don't think the guys who go apeshit in the comments are always the guys who visit the forums a whole lot.

Honestly, though, I will never fathom how people cannot understand the term "opinion". Someone thinks something is good that you don't, or you think something is good that someone else doesn't. Whats the issue?

#15 Posted by bonbolapti (1611 posts) -

Sometimes people go to a website so much that they fall in love with everything that it does. And a huge majority of the internet is under the impression that DmC is the worst game evar.

So yeah, if the site they love is going to enjoy something they think they're supposed to hate, this shit is gonna happen.

I'd just let them get it out of their system, because I'm always under the impression that gaming communities everywhere are comprised of 10 year olds.

#16 Posted by Ramone (2960 posts) -

Anyone seen that Abyssfull guy on the boards lately? He used to make salient comments about review controversies.

#17 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

Yeah. If detractors really want to be vindicated, then poor sales we'll be just that.

#18 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

As someone who doesn't give a shit about DMC I am happy to just sit back and watch.

Also this always happens with controversial reviews on GB, this isn't new.

#19 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

lol, sorry. See that you posted the same thing. I totally must have missed the Lost Planet 2 stuff because I don't remember it at all. @Sanious said:

I don't really get the outrage when the fact of the matter is no one is forcing anyone who doesn't like the game to play it. It clearly shows how childish these "fans" are when they are mad at people who like it. I understand not liking it and being disappointed but the absolute hate for this game from the get go has been absolutely embarrassing.

This. I think I should have used 'embarrassed' instead of 'disgusted' in the title as that more adequately encapsulates how I'm feeling right now.

Feel bad for Brad though, it's a well written review that's going to get completely looked over in favour of the madness that resulted from it.

#20 Edited by ikabubu (210 posts) -

I deal with it very simply. If you know that you're better than the petulant comments, don't participate. Don't even bother counter-arguing or reading, because it's not worth the energy. Also, it's the internet. You'll never win; even if win the argument, you still lose.

You can take solace in the fact that there are people out there who will form their own minds-up about the game regardless of internet bickering (or even review), and that know better than to squabble over opinions. For God's sakes, it's videogames! Entertainment, subjectivity. I understand that people can be passionate about something. I think a lot of people don't know how to: agree-to-disagree, give something a real run before making an opinion (let alone an educated one), and knowing that this is a business and advertising sure knows how to cock it up, huh?

#21 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1817 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

what happened with lost planet 2?

#22 Posted by Jrinswand (1698 posts) -

I didn't even know this was a thing. Who cares about reviews?

#23 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

I have never played any of the DMC games, so I was kinda interested in this one. Especially that it is coming to PC! Yay!

However, reading through that comment section reminds me heavily of YouTube comments. Just aimless dislike for something new.

#24 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@Animasta said:

so mad.

it's so great

Indeed. Instead of being disgusted by the predictable response, laugh at it. The reason I had created the thread about the most controversial GB review before was so that I could amuse myself by looking at the comments associated with them.

Some people take these things so seriously and even personally insult the reviewers because of it. So pointless.

#25 Posted by TheHT (11089 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

There, there. I read your comment.

Also, some of the comments on the review are great. It was all expected with this game in particular. I imagine Brad's just reading some of them laughing and rolling his eyes.

#26 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

@Vitor: It's basically how the notorious Wii Defence Force, including users like linkyshinks and old_school, was 'disbanded'.

#27 Edited by leinad44 (505 posts) -

Even Giantbomb has its fair share of complete fucking morons. But don't worry, all the cool people are still here! Watching this bullshit.

#28 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

A certain "Spoiler" video sold me on this game... along with Brad's review? This went from a "Maybe" to a "Must buy" for me.

#29 Posted by golguin (3868 posts) -

Now I feel like I should check out the demo. I am reluctant to do that though since reviewers hyped up xcom and it's gameplay. Who knew the gameplay was largely disappointing and could really only be enjoyed by srpg first timers unless you went in with a high difficulty setting. I'll have to check out that review thread.

#30 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

As a big fan of the original DMC games I don't have any big issues with Brad's well written review, other than the last line, which feels a little antagonistic. Though it doesn't surprise me that Brad thinks DMC is a "forgotten franchise" when he openly admits to not having played DMC3 and DMC4.

I fully intend on blogging my own thoughts when I complete the game myself, as opposed to hating on Brad (and other reviewers across the net).

#31 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

what happened with lost planet 2?

Yeah can someone please explain how this DmC review relates to the LP2 review?

#32 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Oh no, you are disgusted with the internet, what wrong with humanity!!!!!

#33 Edited by Nikoran (165 posts) -

Personally I think Brad wasn't the right person to review DmC. I mean he even said he's only played the first Devil May Cry. I'd expect someone who has had some actual experience with the franchise to review it.

#34 Posted by Itwastuesday (955 posts) -

There are lots of things to be disgusted about in the world; people shouting about video games is not one of those things.

#35 Posted by Vitor (2815 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Vitor: It's basically how the notorious Wii Defence Force, including users like linkyshinks and old_school, was 'disbanded'.

How the hell did I miss such a pivotal moment in GB history? Been a member since long before the first Quick Look, that's inexcusable of me really. @leinad44 said:

Even Giantbomb has its fair share of complete fucking morons. But don't worry, all the cool people are still here! Watching this bullshit.

Amen. Was expecting more nastiness on this thread but it's been reassuring to see that the sane people are still around. The people who actually go through the forums seem fine, it's the people who are only commenting on the DMC review who are questionable. Probably got their through metacritic and had to rage...

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (14722 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Animasta said:

so mad.

it's so great

Indeed. Instead of being disgusted by the predictable response, laugh at it. The reason I had created the thread about the most controversial GB review before was so that I could amuse myself by looking at the comments associated with them.

Some people take these things so seriously and even personally insult the reviewers because of it. So pointless.

Same. The salty tears of the angry people grasping at straws because people actually like this game is damned entertaining.

#37 Posted by alternate (2693 posts) -

I am passively disgusted by how seriously people take this crap, that is the OP and the fanboys.

#38 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (533 posts) -

@Ramone said:

Anyone seen that Abyssfull guy on the boards lately? He used to make salient comments about review controversies.

I believe he goes by Yummylee now. And he's already posted in this thread a few times, if I am correct.

#39 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Oh look, someone is disgusted with a video game community again. Let us bow our heads in shame, as we're all connected.

#40 Posted by ShaggE (6401 posts) -

I was just thinking about looking at the review comments before I saw this thread, thinking that MAYBE I'd see some civilized discussion about DMC (I know, I know, but there's always a chance). Thanks for saving me the headache.

The way people are losing their shit over this game *is* worth a laugh or two, though. I honestly think these folks are addicted to being pissed off.

#41 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

It's like Lost Planet 2 all over again, only this time it's because of a positive review.

Both Capcom games. Weird.

Also I think it's just due to the site becoming more popular. More popular = more people = more babies.

#42 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

Also a lot of people are shitting on these whiners so we can't say it's everyone or something. Compared to places I've seen this is probably the most reasonable.

#43 Edited by Vitor (2815 posts) -

@Nikoran said:

Personally I think Brad wasn't the right person to review DmC. I mean he even said he's only played the first Devil May Cry. I'd expect someone who's had some actual experience with the franchise to review it.

Problem is, none of the bomb-crew have any love for the DMC franchise. But as Brad is someone who traditionally likes action games (and hard games like Trials and SMB), it made him the only logical choice I'm sure.

Also, will everyone stop talking about DMC4? It was half a game, and not even a good one at that. Great combat system but garbage story, characters, level design and bosses. Seriously, DMC1 is one of my favourite games but both DMC2 and 4 were such huge disaapointments. It always surprises how much people seem to have reassessed 4 and retroactively made it out to be this all time great. It wasn't, not even close.

@Itwastuesday said:

There are lots of things to be disgusted about in the world; people shouting about video games is not one of those things.

I've mentioned this already, but as someone here posted, 'embarrassed' is a much better word that would have suited things better. Heat of the moment choice of adjective that is a little superfluous, you're right there.

#44 Posted by Pr1mus (3855 posts) -

Hey well at least it's not the sexism thing. Now THAT was depressing.

#45 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Whats the issue?

That Dante has black hair. I mean, really, Capcom. Black hair? Have you ever seen human hair?

#46 Posted by Pr1mus (3855 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

I am intrigued.

I love drama, i think i will go further my giant bomb education from a time i didn't yet visit the site.

#47 Posted by Ares42 (2610 posts) -

Did a bunch of comments get deleted or something ? I see more people complaining about people complaining about the review than I see people complaining about the review.

#48 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1990 posts) -

I just don't give a shit, because it honestly doesn't surprise me. Yeah, we're all "duders" but a portion of those same "duders" turn into four year olds when someone doesn't play their favorite JRPG "correctly" or when there isn't "enough" content on their website.

So no, it doesn't disgust me. It just makes sense because yes, this is the internet.

#49 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

Did a bunch of comments get deleted or something ? I see more people complaining about people complaining about the review than I see people complaining about the review.

That was kind of my point a few posts up. But there's plenty there and on the internet at large.

This is probably as good as it gets.

#50 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

@Vitor: DMC4 was a good game, I don't know where you're getting this "Half-Game" from.

As far as I'm concerned, it goes like this DMC>DMC3>DMC4>DMC2>DmC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.