Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

I am actively disgusted by he GB community right now

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By MiniPato

@Nikoran said:

Personally I think Brad wasn't the right person to review DmC. I mean he even said he's only played the first Devil May Cry. I'd expect someone who's had some actual experience with the franchise to review it.

I can understand this complain when someone hates a game. But enjoying a game? I'm not sure him playing the past games would affect his enjoyment of it, especially when it's a reboot.

Anyways, I was kinda disappointed at the comments section at first, but I guess I can understand people's anger even if I'm not a DMC fan by any stretch of the imagination. I mean, what From they handed off a Dark Souls reboot to some other developer and they turned it into a God of War clone and it got good reviews? You'd be mad cause the good reviews would be signaling the developers that turning Dark Souls into a simple hack-n-slash game is the right way to go to get good reviews and make money and thus potentially see an end to the challenging Souls series. I'm not saying the fan response is justified, but understandable.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean it's okay to attack the reviewer's integrity and validity.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#52  Edited By Yummylee

@Pr1mus said:

@Yummylee said:

It's like Lost Planet 2 all over again, only this time it's because of a positive review.

I am intrigued.

I love drama, i think i will go further my giant bomb education from a time i didn't yet visit the site.

If you mean you're going to check out the comments on the Lost Planet 2 review, don't bother. Pretty much all of the hubbub was deleted, that's how messy it got. I can distinctly remember a lot of fat guy jokes being made at Jeff's expense. Which is weird because it was Brad's review.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Animasta

@Yummylee said:

@Pr1mus said:

@Yummylee said:

It's like Lost Planet 2 all over again, only this time it's because of a positive review.

I am intrigued.

I love drama, i think i will go further my giant bomb education from a time i didn't yet visit the site.

If you mean you're going to check out the comments on the Lost Planet 2 review, don't bother. Pretty much all of the hubbub was deleted, that's how messy it got. I can distinctly remember a lot of fat guy jokes being made at Jeff's expense. Which is weird because it was Brad's review.

sure that wasn't the Catherine review?

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Ah it's the same story it always is, a very vocal minority. I saw a few comments that disagreed for what sounded like valid reasons but they're drowned out by the milkbabies.

Just do what Animasta said. Laugh at it. Cause its hilaaarious.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By jimmyfenix

In my opinion reviews of games just fuel hate. Most people wont agree with a reviewers opinion and all this hate just explodes ! , i wish reviews would change medium if you guys get me

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By lego_my_eggo

This guy is clearly on the take, his review of the Giant Bomb community is obviously bias because it is not the same as mine. I bet he only gives it an 8.8, pfft. At least there are still honest reviewers out there who tell it like it is.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By redbliss

Ignore it and move on. People were going to be negative about the game so there really is nothing anyone could do. I didnt read any of the comments, but it doesnt surprise me if people were insulting toward Brad or whatever because people dont seem to understand that reviews and such are very opinion based. The best thing to do is just ignore the negative comments instead of responding and fueling the fire.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By abendlaender

Holy shit, I had no idea DMc had such a....uhm "passionate" fanbase...poor Brad

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#59  Edited By Yummylee

@Animasta said:

@Yummylee said:

@Pr1mus said:

@Yummylee said:

I am intrigued.

sure that wasn't the Catherine review?

Nope, I'm sure. I actually didn't pay attention to any of the Catherine malarkey, whereas for Lost Planet 2 I was watching the whole catastrophe unfold. I can also remember a thread where someone tried to analyse Brad's review and how objectively wrong it was or something. Think the title was something like ''Brad's bad review''.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By TheHT

@Ares42 said:

Did a bunch of comments get deleted or something ? I see more people complaining about people complaining about the review than I see people complaining about the review.

the comments are best read first to last.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Nikoran

@MiniPato: I'm thinking about it from a professional standpoint. This is a professional review site, after all. Getting someone who knows what the original DMC games were about and knowing what to expect from a DMC title to review it would have been best, but as OP pointed out that there isn't really anyone that really play the games to begin with I can see where they're coming from now.

I just think it would have avoided any of the backlash that is happening at the moment in the comments section.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Abendlaender said:

I'm sure Brad will be okay.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Terramagi

50 reviews in the past 7 months.

14 done by Brad.

8 total 5 star reviews.

4 of them were by Brad.

But hey, what do I know. Obviously I'm entitled forming my own conclusions about a shit game, just like I was when Mass Effect 3 was one of the worst games of the last decade and I cried foul.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Lol, internet message boards.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Dixavd

I WANT AN ENSLAVED SEQUEL GOD DAMNIT!

That is all I have to add to this discussion.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Ramone

@Cyrus_Saren said:

@Ramone said:

Anyone seen that Abyssfull guy on the boards lately? He used to make salient comments about review controversies.

I believe he goes by Yummylee now. And he's already posted in this thread a few times, if I am correct.

I know. It was a bad joke.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I'm so glad that DMC has been redone and I can't wait to play it.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MiniPato

@Abendlaender said:

Welcome to videogames.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#69  Edited By vitor

@Nikoran said:

@Vitor: DMC4 was a good game, I don't know where you're getting this "Half-Game" from.

As far as I'm concerned, it goes like this DMC>DMC3>DMC4>DMC2>DmC

Did you forget the bit where DMC4 recycled all of its content about 4 hours into the game? And no, Dante and his move set where not interesting enough to make that anything other than lazy.

DMC4 had a terrible, cringe worthy story and killed the franchise for me. Well, DMC2 did the same but at least I was willing to give the next one a shot.

Also, I have to ask, have you completed the new DMC? I know I'm assuming the worst here straight off the bat but I just don't see how you can order the games without having played the newest one to completion. If you have, then ignore that last sentence but otherwise I think it's nuts that people are writing off a well reviewed game without giving it a go (and no, a demo isn't representative of the full experience, especially when it comes to a DMC game and all the possible crazy combos/weapons).

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Animasta

@Terramagi said:

But hey, what do I know. Obviously I'm entitled forming my own conclusions about a shit game, just like I was when Mass Effect 3 was one of the worst games of the last decade and I cried foul.

uh, congratulations on being more hyperbolic than Brad I guess?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By Andorski

Waiting for people to call Brad's review "page view baiting."

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Terramagi said:

14 done by Brad.

8 total 5 star reviews.

4 of them were by Brad.

Oh word?

You must really hate Alex then.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/marino/2012-a-year-in-reviews/30-98148/

@MURDERSMASH said:

So what if the combat system is less complex or deep or whatever? If the game is still a blast to play, who fucking cares? It reminds me of a great point Patrick made in the Jamestown quick look, how bullet hell shmups became this hardcore thing that only the hardest of hardcore liked, because it essentially became a one-credit, 3-life bullet pattern memorization-fest. That's awesome for that super tiny niche, but what about everyone else? If Ninja Theory and Capcom's intention was to make DmC more accessible to a larger audience, they seem to have succeeded, because the hardcore DMC fanbois are crying bitter tears into their neckbeards about how it was "dumbed down". You know what? Great move, Capcom. Fuck the hardcore haters. You made the right choice in making this accessible to more people.

Well even if this wasn't true, how about more complex =/= better?

MURDERSMASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MURDERSMASH

So what if the combat system is less complex or deep or whatever? If the game is still a blast to play, who fucking cares? It reminds me of a great point Patrick made in the Jamestown quick look, how bullet hell shmups became this hardcore thing that only the hardest of hardcore liked, because it essentially became a one-credit, 3-life bullet pattern memorization-fest. That's awesome for that super tiny niche, but what about everyone else? If Ninja Theory and Capcom's intention was to make DmC more accessible to a larger audience, they seem to have succeeded, because the hardcore DMC fanbois are crying bitter tears into their neckbeards about how it was "dumbed down". You know what? Great move, Capcom. Fuck the hardcore haters. You made the right choice in making this accessible to more people.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Ramone

I like to think these threads make some people realise how silly it is to get angry about someone else's review.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By TheHT

Oh man, I can't wait to see the chat during the livestream tomorrow.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Ramone

@Terramagi said:

14 done by Brad.

8 total 5 star reviews.

4 of them were by Brad.

Dude, shut the fuck up.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Terramagi

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Terramagi said:

14 done by Brad.

8 total 5 star reviews.

4 of them were by Brad.

Oh word?

They had the exact same percentage, and last time I checked Alex hasn't given a game a 5 star purely to spite the internet for hating on art design.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#78  Edited By TobbRobb

@Ramone: I thought it was pretty good.

On topic. I see where he is coming from. He found new Dante likeable in an absurd way, I don't.

TIME TO CRY!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By colourful_hippie

I don't know about you but the entertainment I've been getting out of reading the comments is pretty fucking high.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ares42

@TheHT said:

@Ares42 said:

Did a bunch of comments get deleted or something ? I see more people complaining about people complaining about the review than I see people complaining about the review.

yes, they are... ?

Sure there are some people complaining about the review, but it almost seems like there's a bunch of people who are just ready to jump on people for complaining.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#81  Edited By DarthOrange

How dare Brad have fun playing videogames! 

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Terramagi

@Animasta said:

@Terramagi said:

Don't worry, I'll be vindicated in 11 months when they talk about DmC and suddenly hate it, but disregard everything being said now as "oh INTERNET".

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Terramagi said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Terramagi said:

14 done by Brad.

8 total 5 star reviews.

4 of them were by Brad.

Oh word?

They had the exact same percentage, and last time I checked Alex hasn't given a game a 5 star purely to spite the internet for hating on art design.

Alex wrote 1 more 5 star review.

But last time you checked Brad gave "a game a 5 star purely to spite the internet for hating on art design"?

Source? Or wait you're not one of these guys we are talking about are you?

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Ramone said:

I like to think these threads make some people realise how silly it is to get angry about someone else's review.

Yeah you'd like to think that, wouldnt you?...WOULDNT YOU!?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Animasta

@Terramagi said:

@Animasta said:

@Terramagi said:

Don't worry, I'll be vindicated in 11 months when they talk about DmC and suddenly hate it, but disregard everything being said now as "oh INTERNET".

one of the worst games of the decade? Dude fucking come on. I didn't like ME3. ti is nowhere CLOSE to one of the worst games of the decade.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Nikoran

@Vitor said:

@Nikoran said:

@Vitor: DMC4 was a good game, I don't know where you're getting this "Half-Game" from.

As far as I'm concerned, it goes like this DMC>DMC3>DMC4>DMC2>DmC

Did you forget the bit where DMC4 recycled all of its content about 4 hours into the game? And no, Dante and his move set where not interesting enough to make that anything other than lazy.

DMC4 had a terrible, cringe worthy story and killed the franchise for me. Well, DMC2 did the same but at least I was willing to give the next one a shot.

Also, I have to ask, have you completed the new DMC? I know I'm assuming the worst here straight off the bat but I just don't see how you can order the games without having played the newest one to completion. If you have, then ignore that last sentence but otherwise I think it's nuts that people are writing off a well reviewed game without giving it a go (and no, a demo isn't representative of the full experience, especially when it comes to a DMC game and all the possible crazy combos/weapons).

I haven't. I have no interest in buying the game at full price at the moment. I put it at the end because of what I played from the demo and because I feel like being an asshole.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Ares42 said:

@TheHT said:

@Ares42 said:

yes, they are... ?

Sure there are some people complaining about the review, but it almost seems like there's a bunch of people who are just ready to jump on people for complaining.

The giantbomb defense force. They're lightning quick and just as deadly.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#88  Edited By dethfish

I wonder if half these people realize you can write user reviews on this site. You know, in case you wanted your opinion out there. Maybe they're just content with complaining in the comments so more people will see them. I don't get the point though, it's not like Brad is going to change his star rating because people don't agree.

I think this is a little weirder than the Lost Planet 2 thing. Bashing someone for not liking something as much as you do is dumb, but makes more sense to me than bashing them because they like something better than you do. Apparently you're just damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Terramagi

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Terramagi said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Terramagi said:

14 done by Brad.

8 total 5 star reviews.

4 of them were by Brad.

Oh word?

But last time you checked Brad has?

Source?

What do you care? You're disgusted. Obviously I'm just a scumbag. But, if you insist.

Dust.

Incredibly simplistic gameplay gets a pass because he hasn't seen Deviantart porn like everybody who hates that button masher.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#90  Edited By abendlaender

@Terramagi said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Terramagi said:

14 done by Brad.

8 total 5 star reviews.

4 of them were by Brad.

Oh word?

I guess you talk about Dust? Yeah, Brad obviously didn't really care about the game, he never mentioned it AT ALL during the GotY podcasts. He just scored it as high to insult the internet, sure. Sure!

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By IBurningStar

All of this is really bringing back memories of the Lost Planet 2 review and how everyone raged at Brad because of his opinion on a game. There was even one thread that called for someone else to re-review the game, because Brad clearly didn't know what he was talking about and sucks at video games. He made valid points about the game's flaws and problems and the rest of the crew agreed with him, and they posted the review because they were comfortable with having that represent the site's verdict on the game.

Most of the hate directed at the game comes from the change in the look of the protagonist and storyline, which caused people to decide the game was garbage before anyone played it. I am willing to wager that most of the people didn't even bother to play the demo to see if they had maybe misjudged it. Personally, I don't like the look or personality of the new Dante based on what I have seen. I did still play the demo though and I felt that it was an OK action game. Granted, I don't play a whole lot of those kinds of games, so I can't speak on it as well as someone who is more versed in the franchise's play style. I have heard rumblings from some of the more hardcore fans that the new combat engine isn't as deep or rewarding, and if that is true then that sucks. It is never a good thing when a game gets dumbed down to appeal to the masses and leaves long time fans out in the rain.

I understand the feeling of betrayal you get when a franchise removes all the things you loved about it. I mean, I'm a Silent Hill fan. We are a fan base that have been shit on hard the past couple of years.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#92  Edited By spankingaddict

If people wouldve at least tried the demo , they wouldve see DMC's potential .

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#93  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I was entirely unaware that there were people out there who were so... *ahem* passionate about Devil May Cry. I really like DMC3, don't get me wrong, but my attempts at playing any other game in the series have been met with me hitting a brick wall, or in the case of DMC 4, me realizing that I'd be going through all the levels again as Dante and fighting all of the same bosses.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@Dethfish said:

I wonder if half these people realize you can write user reviews on this site. You know, in case you wanted your opinion out there. Maybe they're just content with complaining in the comments so more people will see them. I don't get the point though, it's not like Brad is going to change his star rating because people don't agree.

User reviews don't get any attention on this site, they don't even make it to the front page anymore.

That's something that really need to be fixed with the next redesign.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Terramagi said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Terramagi said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Terramagi said:

14 done by Brad.

8 total 5 star reviews.

4 of them were by Brad.

Oh word?

But last time you checked Brad has?

Source?

What do you care? You're disgusted. Obviously I'm just a scumbag. But, if you insist.

Dust.

Incredibly simplistic gameplay gets a pass because he hasn't seen Deviantart porn like everybody who hates that button masher.

So you are mad at Brad because he doesn't look at Deviantart porn?

Oh okay. Cool.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#96  Edited By Levio

Brad's reviews are always based upon his immediate impressions of a game, not based on upon how others would view the game or how he might have found the game in a different setting. Because of this, it isn't surprising that, among the team, his reviews develop the most backlash, though I am a little disappointed that Brad makes his reviews hard to use for purchasing decisions in this way.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By SlashDance

@Terramagi said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Terramagi said:

14 done by Brad.

8 total 5 star reviews.

4 of them were by Brad.

Oh word?

Yup, you got it. It's all a big conspiracy.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Terramagi

@spankingaddict said:

If people wouldve at least tried the demo , they wouldve see DMC's potential .

What potential? This is the Ninja Gaiden 3 of Devil May Cry. Even though Devil May Cry already had DMC2, as much as I abhor having to admit that turd exists. The demo made that ABUNDANTLY clear.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Ramone

@TheHumanDove said:

@Ramone said:

Yeah you'd like to think that, wouldnt you?...WOULDNT YOU!?

YEAH I FUCKING WOULD!

WHAT OF IT MOTHERFUCKER?!?!

packs217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By packs217

I'd say we all just need less sodium in our lives, guys. This community is great, but there's no gate around it, undesirables will get in. Heck, NeoGAF has a gate and still plenty of undesirables get in there. It's the internet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.