IGN Preview: DmC has nothing left to prove

#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14753 posts) -

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/19/dmc-has-nothing-left-to-prove

So as stated at the top of the article if you want to remain 100% pure there are some things that some people may consider minor spoilers in the article however the basic tone of the article is Keza being very impressed with the game. Super pumped myself. Glad to see the initial impressions are positive. Choo Choo all aboard the Hype Train!

#2 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I thought the level design in the demo was fantastic, really reminded me of inception. Plus like the look of the new character.

#3 Posted by MEATBALL (3183 posts) -

I really enjoyed the demo, but I'm far from a Devil May Cry purist. I think the game is going to be great if you're open to what Capcom/Ninja Theory have done with the franchise and terrible if you really can't stand it. There's not necessarily anything wrong with the latter. Personally I really enjoy what I've seen of the story and Dante's character/attitude. Even the much touted "FUCK YOU" "Fuck you" "FUCK YOOOOOU" moment came across pretty well in context, with the Succubus being this crazy, awful angry disgusting slurm factory and Dante just not giving a fuck.

#4 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I'm aboard.

#5 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I was sold when I saw that Tron-like in the trailer after the demo plus you can still pull SSSs that's cool, just hope the story doesn't take itself to seriously that's all I'm asking.

#6 Edited by L44 (556 posts) -

Just thinking about DMC has reminded me that Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive. Dammit.

#7 Posted by Landon (4137 posts) -

I liked the combat and level design, but I still don't like how this is the new Devil May Cry.

#8 Posted by Zleunamme (655 posts) -

I have only played the demo and I enjoyed it. The outrage over Dante's re-design was ridiculous. I don't put much value in previews. Most of the time in previews. Only a vertical slice of the game -- the more interesting part -- is shown and might not be same when the final product comes out. After playing the demo, I think the reboot is heading in the right direction. The core principles of the Devil May Cry franchise are there. I hope that it newest incarnation doesn't make the same mistakes as before. Back tracking and repeating the same levels again. A default difficult setting that is nearly impossible to finish.

#9 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@Zleunamme said:

I hope that it newest incarnation doesn't make the same mistakes as before. Back tracking and repeating the same levels again.

I can't cite this but I do remember reading an interview/seeing in a video where Ninja Theory said this most definitely will not be the case at all.

#10 Posted by TobbRobb (4596 posts) -

Yup that game looks pretty awesome. Hopefully it will fill the void Bayonetta 2 won't.

@Zleunamme: The old games where nowhere near impossible on the default setting, you can mash your way through most things. Bosses could get a bit tricky though.

#11 Posted by adam1808 (1448 posts) -

I like what I've seen. It all seems fresh and interesting whereas DMC4 was same old same old but slightly less inspired. I'll get it on PC because DMC has been and should always be played at 60 fps but I can see why they had to cut it in half to make the level geometry shift around like it does.

#12 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

this demo was the opposite of what i expected from a ninja theory game: great combat, terrible characters/dialogue. and i'm not even a DmC purist.

#13 Edited by ProfessorEss (7318 posts) -

@killacam said:

this demo was the opposite of what i expected from a ninja theory game: great combat, terrible characters/dialogue. and i'm not even a DmC purist.

That does sound weird for a Ninja Theory game.

But to be fair it is a Devil May Cry game, maybe Capcom told Ninja Theory that terrible characters and dialog are a cornerstone of the franchise that had to remain intact?

Regardless, I have to go try this demo now.

#14 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Someone needs to insert his average-dude face onto other popular Capcom characters.

#15 Posted by ProfessorEss (7318 posts) -

@KittyVonDoom said:

Someone needs to insert his average-dude face onto other popular Capcom characters.

Whoa! They look identical!!

No seriously, I don't really see it. I mean I kinda see it but I still think it's a weak argument to make against the game.

#16 Posted by Dogma (946 posts) -

Ouch....my head hurt after going trough the commenets on that site...

The game looks promising though! I never were in the hate camp for thios game and has mostly supported this new take on DMC and Dante.

#17 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@ProfessorEss: It most definitely is.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (24381 posts) -

@ProfessorEss: The criticism was enough that Ninja Theory changed Dante's appearance (or at least his hair) from that concept:

#19 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -

All I know is that IGN is spouting BS. Why's everyone suddenly hating on the old DMCs to make the new one seem better?

#20 Posted by august (3835 posts) -

The fans are angry because new Dante looks like something resembling an actual human being rather than the androgynous anime super-hero they've grown accustomed to.

#21 Edited by MHumphreys89 (713 posts) -

I wont pretend to be someone who knows a lot about this genre or D.M.C. in particular, however. Won't this game be hampered from the frame-rate being locked at 30 FPS? Doesn't this franchise owe part of its success to its sense of speed and style of game-play?

#22 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

DMC has always been an above average but not great series with a few excellent moments (Virgil fights in DMC3, Credo, Dante fight in DMC4), it could easily be better though I doubt it's going to be a staggering improvement and might not even match up to Bayonetta (likely won't).

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14753 posts) -

@Humphreys said:

I wont pretend to be someone who knows a lot about this genre or D.M.C. in particular, however. Won't this game be hampered from the frame-rate being locked at 30 FPS? Doesn't this franchise owe part of it's success to its sense of speed and style of game-play?

While 60 is better as long as its a consistent 30 it will be fine.

#24 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@august: While that may be true, the fans still kinda want the guy to look more badass than he is now. Also, they are complaining about far more than just his looks, and though some of it may not be warranted, a lot of it is.
#25 Posted by Crysack (302 posts) -

@august said:

The fans are angry because new Dante looks like something resembling an actual human being rather than the androgynous anime super-hero they've grown accustomed to.

As a fan, I would be happy if they retained even a modicum of the depth and style of the old combat system, I couldn't care less about his appearance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.