Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Impressions & Discussion thread

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#201  Edited By musubi

YES! Just managed to beat Mundus in pretty fast time held a SSS style rank the entire fight and now I'm rewarded with 17th place on the leader boards. Pretty happy about this one. =)

No Caption Provided
    Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By Zella

@Demoskinos said:

@Sanious: Aquila's buy-in move is great. I never use the air version although that video is a good case for it. I like to do buy-in on the ground as the discs are pulling everyone switch to scythe and do the charge attack with it launching everyone in the air for more combos then come down with the charged fist shockwave attack. Super fun stuff.

That is my exact go to for groups of stygians

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#203  Edited By Sanious

The most interesting part for me isn't the costumes, but that they are showing it off in Bloody Palace. Give me now plx!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By musubi
    @Sanious Never have I been so ready to throw away $4 for something so dumb. Classic Dante in motion looks great! And bloody palace should be a hoot! Then Vergil DLC in Febuary! Man this game is going to last me a while. :)
    Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Quarters

I think it's crazy how much he actually looks like old Dante just when he has different hair and the old clothes. Even the white haired version of the normal costume makes him totally look like the same guy. His facial structure and body hasn't changed that much. Interesting how much of a difference hair color can make.

KruelAK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#206  Edited By KruelAK

So within a week, I have beaten the game 3 times and am now working on Dante Must Die (and yes, I do have a full time job/other games to play..I just put aside a ton of time for this game).

I am overall extremely happy with Ninja Theory, but I must admit I only ever played DMC 4 and none of the originals.

The combat in this is very fluid, fast, and frantic.

The story is meh but I enjoyed it overall, and the characters could have had more depth to them (definitely Kat).

Replayability is medium for me, I am trying to get all the unlockables and Achievements so hopefully the Bloody Palace mode and Vergil's Downfall come out very soon.

If they release steady story/arena DLC, then this game will continue to be fresh and keep me entertained.

All in all I personally give this a 9/10, an A-, 4/5.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Sanious

@Demoskinos said:

@Sanious Never have I been so ready to throw away $4 for something so dumb. Classic Dante in motion looks great! And bloody palace should be a hoot! Then Vergil DLC in Febuary! Man this game is going to last me a while. :)

Not sure if I will buy any of the DLC costumes although I do like the blonde hair one.

I am a little more than half way through on DMD and I can feel myself getting more fluid with the combos. Although I have several times during a level, but that has to do with frustration and a bit of impatience in certain situations.

And even thought the Bosses are not hard, they are still fun to fight, at least for me.

Also in the beginning of that video where they should the first costume and he does the basic combo, I for some reason love the animation to that. Where he stumbles forward a little bit because of how much power he is putting into the swing. Love attention to detail so much.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By musubi

@Sanious said:

@Demoskinos said:

Not sure if I will buy any of the DLC costumes although I do like the blonde hair one.

I am a little more than half way through on DMD and I can feel myself getting more fluid with the combos. Although I have several times during a level, but that has to do with frustration and a bit of impatience in certain situations.

And even thought the Bosses are not hard, they are still fun to fight, at least for me.

OH for sure. I mean even DMC 4's bosses weren't incredibly hard but it was still fun to just pound the bejezus out of them with Nero and Dante.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By musubi

Well, beat Son of Sparda mode. Now to blast through Heaven or Hell mode really quick like for funsies. Then off to DMD then Hell or Hell.

Also, for those interested in the concept art gallery there are 5 "Rare" pictures that give no indication on how they are unlocked. To unlock these 5 you have to

• Do a total of 5,000,000 Damage
    • Play for over 50hrs
    • Activate Devil Trigger 666 times
    • Gain 60 "SSS" Ranks on Missions
    cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By cloudymusic

Finally just unlocked for play on Steam. The game runs really well even on my mediocre-ass laptop. I also seem to have gotten all of the bonus skins free for pre-ordering. I'll take it.

Obviously too early for real impressions, but it seems cool so far! Judging from the consensus here, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By musubi

@Keres: Oh yeah? What kind of settings and resolution are you running?

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By SlashDance

Aaaaaaand retail keys don't seem to work for anyone on steam. I got it from GMG and all I have is a 74MB download, so that's nice.

Anyone having the same issue ?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By musubi

So beat Heaven or Hell and starting up DMD and wow the game has finally hit its stride as far as challenge goes. Enemies are starting to be really aggressive now although if you're still good at exploiting enemies its still manageable.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By cloudymusic

@Demoskinos said:

@Keres: Oh yeah? What kind of settings and resolution are you running?

At my laptop's native resolution (1600x900) on Ultra settings and with HD textures on (HD antialiasing and HD shadows off, though), I get about 55-60fps constant in battle scenes. I've never seen it dip below 50. In cutscenes, it's 80-90fps.

I'm only running a GT 650M in this thing, so most people should have pretty good results. Considering that the console versions are capped at 30fps, it almost certainly won't be worse.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Zella

@SlashDance said:

Aaaaaaand retail keys don't seem to work for anyone on steam. I got it from GMG and all I have is a 74MB download, so that's nice.

Anyone having the same issue ?

If you haven't seen it already there is a thread about this issue, it's not just you.

On level 4 of my DMD run and so far it's not that bad, only real challenge are the buzz saw dudes and occasionally red rages. The way they give more enemies shields just to help increase the difficulty is pretty annoying though, it's not difficult to deal with them it just breaks up my flow usually. Not looking forward to the 4th boss fight at all, especially on Hell and Hell. Beat Heaven or Hell a few days ago and man it felt so unneeded to me, so I just used it as collectible run.

One of the things I like quite a bit is the amount of concept art they have for Dante, you can really see the progression from the older style into the new one(well except for the weird ass suspender Dante, that's just strange).

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By musubi

@Keres: Nice. I was hesitant to plunk money down for the PC version due to my PC only having a Radeon 5570 which is a fairly middling card. Seems like from what I'm hearing even pretty middle of the road cards seem to be able to at least hit in the 60frames range.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By clstirens

@Demoskinos said:

@Keres: Nice. I was hesitant to plunk money down for the PC version due to my PC only having a Radeon 5570 which is a fairly middling card. Seems like from what I'm hearing even pretty middle of the road cards seem to be able to at least hit in the 60frames range.

Thank the ever-impressive Unreal Engine. Seriously, sometimes I feel like modern Engines are just wasting graphics horsepower for marginal gains (*caugh* Frostbite *caugh*)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#218  Edited By Humanity

@Zella: I'm so glad Kat didn't end up as the lady with a low cut dress exposing half her rear and a "battle violin"

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By smokeyd123

So I've found something I guess you could call "busted". Performing a Demon dodge/roll, nets you a damage boost. It ALSO apparently nets you a style boost, As I was able to get from C to S by just doing the regular attack combo. Perform another roll, do the same thing, and you have a SSS. It seems like a really big oversight, and a super easy way to rack up points. but I've noticed the Style meter fills based more on Damage, rather than actual "style" per-Se.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the game is quite fun.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Sanious

@smokeyd123: Not to burst your bubble, but it is nothing new.

I stay away from it based on my own "morals" to get an SSS. Sounds silly, but I really don't like the mechanic so I don't utilize it.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Sanious

And the award that makes me feel completely inadequate at this game goes to...

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By musubi

@Sanious

@smokeyd123: Not to burst your bubble, but it is nothing new.

I stay away from it based on my own "morals" to get an SSS. Sounds silly, but I really don't like the mechanic so I don't utilize it.

Huh so THAT is how people are getting insane scores on Heaven or Hell I couldn't figure out how everyone was doing it.

I like Demon Dodge myself I don't exploit it but man does it ever make the Dreamrunner fights a LOT faster with the damage boost.

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sanious: That is not that hard to do if you get a bit of practice, it's just jump cancelling, and it's much easier to do in DmC. While in the air hit the attack button then the jump button, then attack, jump,attack,jump and while doing that switch between weapons and modifiers to get different attacks then finish it off with the circle/B button. It will take some time before you're as good as the person in the video, but start off by trying a few jump cancel combos. A lot of players go through DMC games without ever realising that you can do that.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By smokeyd123

@Fire_Of_The_Wind: Thing about the cancelling in this game, is that it seems to be pointless, As the style meter is much easier to raise by just varying up the moves, and throwing in an Axe combo. I never really use it unless I'm trying to avoid stuff.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By musubi

To anyone complaining that this game is too easy I refer you good sir to mission 16 on Dante Must Die! mode. Two freaking Dream Runners and a Witch start to get a bit troublesome when you fight them together.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#226  Edited By Tennmuerti

Having just got the game on PC I have a question: what control scheme are people using (on the gamepad)?

I'm asking because i've been replaying Lords of Shadow this past week while waiting for DmC so the switch in control schemes feels weird. And my initial reaction is to want to remap the basic attack to X and dodges to triggers. Is this a bad idea for this game, as in the default control scheme is what it is for a reason (better for more demanding game)?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#227  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Tennmuerti said:

Having just got the game on PC I have a question: what control scheme are people using (on the gamepad)?

I'm asking because i've been replaying Lords of Shadow this past week while waiting for DmC so the switch in control schemes feels weird. And my initial reaction is to want to remap the basic attack to X and dodges to triggers. Is this a bad idea for this game, as in the default control scheme is what it is for a reason (better for more demanding game)?

I never had a problem with the default. Y has been the standard attack button since at least DMC3.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By amir90

@demoskinos Congrats on getting on the leaderboards, 17th place as well :) I unlocked the game right before it launched on steam, I got to the 2nd boss in the game, and I must say, there isn't that much that I don't like. The writing is not bad, the characters are worth listening to, the art style is eye candy and the combat is fun. I will probably go for all the difficulties. Also, there isn't a big point in playing the game other then Nephilim imho.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By musubi

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Tennmuerti said:

I never had a problem with the default. Y has been the standard attack button since at least DMC3.

Its been default for the entire series.

On another note... on the final stage of Hell or Hell and this last boss is a BITCH. First thing in the game where I'm going to really have to try over and over for awhile to get this one.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#230  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, I got all the way to mission 17 today, so you might say I like this game. I'm playing on Nephilim and it's still mostly a cakewalk, but I have to congratulate Ninja Theory on making a game that plays a lot like those other games, albeit without the lock-on. The claw is a nice throwback to Nero's grabby hand and similarly makes me not use my firearms as much, and in general I think the visual aesthetic/storytelling are far superior to the other games. The gameplay? Probably not, but it's hard to top Devil May Cry 3 in feelings of accomplisment because of how messed up the difficulty is.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#231  Edited By cornbredx

I just started playing it earlier this evening on PC. 
    I think it's bad ass. 
    The story is alright, nothing special, but nothing beneath Devil May Cry standards (actually raises the bar in that area a little bit), the graphics are perty, the level design is a lot of fun, the combo system is easier then the originals but still damn fun, and the music has been really good. 

I use the classic Dante skin (i prefer the look of the original Dante) and it's really jarring when it goes to a cutscene because his look changes =P  
    Arr this game is terrible *he says sarcastically*

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By musubi

Whew, I am done. All trophies get. Now to wait for Bloody Palace and Vergil's Downfall DLC. I have to say the final boss on Hell and Hell is an absolute exercise in execution of utter perfection. If you miss a single beat you won't beat him.

No Caption Provided
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#233  Edited By JJOR64

Just finished the game on PC. Really enjoyed it a lot, but man was it short and easy. Played it on Nephilim on my first run. The game looks fantastic graphically on Max settings. The combat is really simple, but still enjoyable. Some of my gripes is that the levels seem very linear, but I guess that goes with the genre. Also there aren't that many boss battles.

This game should be the first DMC game for anyone new to the series.

No Caption Provided
    zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By zenmastah

Just did the second boss and man, thats how you use dubstep in a game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By musubi

@JJOR64: I wouldn't say its "simple" its accessible for sure but you can absolutely do some insane stuff. Take for example this fine gentleman who shows his skills by beating Dante Must Die mission 1 (he also has other mission videos) without any damage and with all SSS ranks.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#236  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Demoskinos said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Tennmuerti said:

Its been default for the entire series.

Alright i'll stick with the default then. Guess it just comes from just playing with a different scheme right before

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Zella

@Demoskinos said:

Whew, I am done. All trophies get. Now to wait for Bloody Palace and Vergil's Downfall DLC. I have to say the final boss on Hell and Hell is an absolute exercise in execution of utter perfection. If you miss a single beat you won't beat him.

No Caption Provided

Yeah just beat Hell and Hell and the final boss was a complete pain in the ass, had to resort to using the Super Dante perk to deal with his final form.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By musubi

@Zella: Yeah, I stomped through Hell and Hell with Super Dante too. I think I'll go back and beat it proper though once I pop the game back in for Bloody Palace and Vergil DLC in Febuary. The thing is though even with Super Dante you really aren't at a huge advantage with the final boss. Which, on one hand is kind of neat that they actually make you earn it a little bit instead of letting you full on cheese Hell and Hell.

itsVASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#239  Edited By itsVASH

So I put the game into the console around 12:30 today, took a break and had had some food around 4:00 and well... finished the game. The game was A-MAZING. Honestly can't remember the last time combat felt so satisfying, probably when I played GOW for ps1 back in high school. But honestly the combat was great and the story was decent, I guess you have to take it with a grain of salt or not have a huge effenity for the original games, I mea I liked the original 1 and 3, never got around to 2 and 4, but this was by far my favorit dmc, story gameplay all around. Sorry not reall too coherent right now, but I guess its kind of expected if I started and finished the game in the same day.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#240  Edited By spankingaddict

@Sanious said:

And the award that makes me feel completely inadequate at this game goes to...

Holy shit , my brain hurts just thinking about learning to this !

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#241  Edited By fistfulofmetal

playing through the game.

I'm a DMC fan going back to the first game. IMO DMC3 is the pinnacle in the series (shocking opinion, i know).

I'm maybe over a 3rd, close to half way through? I've fought two major bosses, going after the 3rd:

Going after the faux Fox News dude in the prison

My impressions are as such:

Mostly Positive stuff:

• The combat system is basically sound. There is a logic to how it's built and for the most part, using it makes sense.
    • It's really pretty. The textures are low-res (PC version) but it has really good use of colors and art assets. The world looks vibrant and it pops.
    • Fighting dudes is generally fun.

Mostly "ehh" stuff:

• The story is dumb but not SO DUMB IT'S GOOD yet. So far it's just "this is dumb"
    • Game is much simpler and straight forward than previous entries in terms of level design and structure.
    • Boss battles have been boring. They aren't bad. The scripting is pretty good and what happens in them is OK but we're talking about some very basic gameplay. Hoping these get better.
    • I mentioned the combat is basically sound? It is. However for advanced play I don't find the combat to be designed to be super fluid and move-to-move in nature. I have trouble going between the two weapons back into the regular attacks. I have trouble controlling who I'm attacking since there is no Lock On. Really, no Lock-on is a complete disappointment. Using the grapple move, I have to just hope Dante targets the enemy I want. Especially if I am trying to grab one of those flying cherub duders. Going from chain grapple to launch is difficult... when you chain grapple a dude and he pulls toward you, your finger is already on the demon weapon trigger so it's really easy to do that version of a launch and that is generally too strong so when the dude goes flying up he'll be almost dead and you won't be able to use much of a combo. I'm not going to go on and boast I'm some elite DMC player who can get SSSSSSSS all day long but in DMC3 I can pull some pretty cool stuff off. Here in DmC I can imagine the combos I want but have trouble doing so because, maybe just to me, it's not designed for that in mind. The button placement, how the character handles in terms of allowing you to chain moves, the lack of lock on, and a dedicated launch button (the fuck?) all make it a great deal inferior to what we've had before. Not only is it more streamlined over past DMC games, it's also just not as well designed.

Negative stuff:

• Dante sucks. Maybe he gets better? He is not interesting. He barely speaks. When he does speak absolutely nothing interesting comes out of his mouth. You got two sides of the Dante spectrum in DMC. DMC2 Dante is super brooding and serious. DMC3 Dante is super jokey, cocky, and arrogant. DmC Dante is arrogant but doesn't crack any jokes. He's somewhat brooding and serious but doesn't pull it off believably. So basically he's a mix of both sides and is instead of inheriting the best aspects of both worlds he's just a watered down version of either. His quips are cheap in the boring sense. His voice actor sounds dull and has like, no life at all to him. DMC3 Dante isn't the most cleverly written character in the world but the VA pulls him off and makes it work. Not so much here. Notice that I have yet to even speak about Dante's design. All the cliche tropes of people hating his design and in the end, his design is the least worst aspect of him? Shocking. To summarize: DmC Dante is boring.
    • The writing in the game overall is boring. I fought this boss and the dialogue exchange between Dante and The Boss was basically them spewing profanity at each other. I just had to shake my head at how straight up lazy that sounded.
    • THE NEW STINGER SUCKS. FORWARD FORWARD ON AN ANALOG STUCK IS AWKWARD. THEY FUCKED UP STINGER. GOD.

I'm gonna stop. So far DmC is OK. Competent. It doesn't break any molds or take the DMC franchise in a new and interesting direction. It plays OK. Looks pretty. Will continue to play. We'll see if things change.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By musubi

@Fistfulofmetal: Well, to be fair I'm not sure else how they would have included the stinger except for doing it the way that they did. I got used to it fairly quickly myself.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By fistfulofmetal

@Demoskinos said:

@Fistfulofmetal: Well, to be fair I'm not sure else how they would have included the stinger except for doing it the way that they did. I got used to it fairly quickly myself.

It all goes back to the fact that they removed lock-on. I don't get this because it doesn't make the game easier. Having lock-on is probably one of the most casual friendly features in the DMC games. There's a fight in mission 10? 11? around there where it's 1 on 1. That SHOULD HAVE been pretty awesome but it was more annoying because there's no lock-on.

The 3rd boss battle in the game was probably the best part of the entire game so far for me:

Going INTO the Raptor News Network world was pretty damned cool. And I loved when you jumped into the dudes eye and it went fixed camera fighting for a bit. I actually did better in those sections because it felt more like DMC to me. lol
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#244  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Fistfulofmetal said:

It all goes back to the fact that they removed lock-on. I don't get this because it doesn't make the game easier. Having lock-on is probably one of the most casual friendly features in the DMC games. There's a fight in mission 10? 11? around there where it's 1 on 1. That SHOULD HAVE been pretty awesome but it was more annoying because there's no lock-on.

I still don't understand this complaint about the lack of lock-on as a lock-on. I understand that it was incredibly useful as a modifier to expand the move-list, but I don't see how it would really help combat. In DmC there are encounters that are one-on-one, in which case you have camera control and the camera automatically adjusts as well to keep both you and the enemy on-screen simultaneously making lock-on irrelevant. There are group encounters of 2-5 enemies where targeting what you want is just as simple as locking-on to the enemy you want. Then there are fusterclucks of 6+ enemies, typically with a few flying, where every time you end up targeting the wrong enemy you also would have ended up locking-on to the wrong enemy. In those situations you wouldn't really have the time to be futzing around with cycling lock-on targets anyways, and, since you're going after the flying guys first and they die so quickly, you might as well be swinging.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By hbkdx12

Never having played or been interested in previous DMC games, i downloaded this yesterday after playing the demo and enjoying it for the most part. 

The visuals are top notch. Very pretty too look at. This is even before you consider the cool/crazy things they do with the levels/animations and the chaos of fighting dudes

The fighting looks very "button mashy" if you not playing it but there's certainly some depth to it. I kind of walked into it expecting GOW type shallowness and it's anything but that. Again, as someone who's never played a DMC game, the moves and abilities at your disposal is a bit overwhelming. It's for this reason i found the demo to be almost counter-intuitive in getting me to buy the game because it kind of gives you a good amount (but not nearly all) of the moves available to you and it kind of requires a bit of brainpower to really dissect fights on the fly to figure out what move you want to do next like Batman: AC. In this vein, i appreciate how the actual game introduces you to everything slowly but now that i've received both light and dark weapons, i'm still finding myself overwhelmed a bit (with still a shit ton of moves to still follow) but it's a system that i'm interested in learning and mastering in order to pull of some great stuff. 

I like the characterization of Dante. He's a douche. I don't particularly like that he's a douche (i don't necessarily hate it either) but i like how you can look at him before he even says a word and tell he's a douche. And surely a lot of that comes from the great animation. 

I feel about DMC the same way I feel about RE5. I feel like, as someone who never played previous iterations in the franchise, starting with this game is a great point of entry and is easy to appreciate the game for what it is because there's no expectations and nothing to compare it to. But i can see how fans and players of past games would look at this and feel like things have been changed/simplified too much that it kind of makes it a husk of it's former self.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By musubi

@StarvingGamer said:

@Fistfulofmetal said:

I still don't understand this complaint about the lack of lock-on as a lock-on. I understand that it was incredibly useful as a modifier to expand the move-list, but I don't see how it would really help combat. In DmC there are encounters that are one-on-one, in which case you have camera control and the camera automatically adjusts as well to keep both you and the enemy on-screen simultaneously making lock-on irrelevant. There are group encounters of 2-5 enemies where targeting what you want is just as simple as locking-on to the enemy you want. Then there are fusterclucks of 6+ enemies, typically with a few flying, where every time you end up targeting the wrong enemy you also would have ended up locking-on to the wrong enemy. In those situations you wouldn't really have the time to be futzing around with cycling lock-on targets anyways, and, since you're going after the flying guys first and they die so quickly, you might as well be swinging.

About where I stand on it. Even beyond that there is no where to map a lock-on on the controller that makes sense that wouldn't be awkward or mess up the control scheme.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By fistfulofmetal

@StarvingGamer said:

Lock-on gives you a great deal of control over what you're fighting and how. I feel you're marginalizing the importance of this. In regard to fighting 1on1, in most cases the enemy is a slow brute dude and it's easy to fight because of this. In the specific case I mentioned above in the middle of the game: the dude with the red mask . Fighting him was annoying without lock-on. The camera most definitely didn't auto adjust in my experience.

Finally, when fighting multiple enemies (some on ground, some in air). DMC handled this situation fine because you could swap between different enemies. So you wouldn't me locking on to the wrong enemy regardless because I would be swapping until the correct enemy (flying dude) is selected. Simple.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By musubi

@Fistfulofmetal said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Lock-on gives you a great deal of control over what you're fighting and how. I feel you're marginalizing the importance of this. In regard to fighting 1on1, in most cases the enemy is a slow brute dude and it's easy to fight because of this. In the specific case I mentioned above in the middle of the game: the dude with the red mask . Fighting him was annoying without lock-on. The camera most definitely didn't auto adjust in my experience.

Finally, when fighting multiple enemies (some on ground, some in air). DMC handled this situation fine because you could swap between different enemies. So you wouldn't me locking on to the wrong enemy regardless because I would be swapping until the correct enemy (flying dude) is selected. Simple.

If you're talking about the dreamrunners all you wanna do for them is wait until they teleport then demon dodge when they re-appear pop them into the air and I usually do three hits with rebellion then a hit with the fists. Lock-on wouldn't work for them anyways because of how crazy they bounce around with teleporting. It just sounds like you were a tad frustrating trying to figure out their weaknesses, which is fair. However, after playing the game for a long...long while (ie 83 hours up in herrrrr) I think the combat works fine with no lock-on. And honestly I could see lock-on being a burden in some cases where you need to shift attention on the drop of a hat. Like when Saw-blade dude throws his saws at you. You need to be able to instantly turn around and deflect those bad boys.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Fistfulofmetal: The only thing I really remember about fighting the guys with masks is that you didn't have to touch the camera because if they were disappearing from the screen, they would always reappear somewhere your camera was facing. At that point it was just parry, combo, back off and repeat. As far as auto-adjusting is concerned, I can specifically remember a few instances where after killing an enemy, the camera would begin to move unbidden to focus on the last enemy currently off-screen. Of course I could be crazy.

And as I said, the problem with swapping different lock-on targets is that you run into the same problems where it's never clear which enemy you're going to swap to, so more often than not by the time you get the right target in DMC you probably could have killed whatever enemy you were accidentally attacking in DmC.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Demoskinos: I preferred to parry them and fight on the ground because you could combo with impunity without fear of retaliation. IIRC you can get a full Trillion Stab on them before they recover, and when they do they just start blocking so you have time to back off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.