Just S ranked the game! And I have one huge tip for y'all

  • 51 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by WolfHazard (479 posts) -

Hell or Hell was by far the hardest mode, however if you go back and beat DMD, you unlock Super Dante, which has infinite DT, which basically turns HoH into a cake walk, the hardest part then being the last boss, which just comes down to memorizing his patterns and playing it safe.

Also, to get a Triple S on all the Nephelim missions easily, just use the Demon Evade and Trinity Smash combo, it's a triple S in style every time and your points will go up hella fast. Also, DMD is fairly challenging and more if a sludge fest, however just but a bunch of yellow orbs for the last fight, and at least one large Devil Star.

Also, I'm kind of bummed there wasn't a rare artwork for getting all the achievements, does anyone know the requirements to unlock them? So far the only one I got was play for 50 hours.

#2 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5748 posts) -

Yellow orbing a Vergil fight kind of kills the whole point of playing on DMD (well maybe 1 if you're seriously having trouble)

#3 Posted by Aegon (5706 posts) -

Thanks for the spoilers.

#4 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

Personally not going to resort the demon dodging and trillion smash myself. Makes it too easy and not as fun to mess around with the combat. Plus from the things I read about the PC update to the game, the stylish meter get altered and demon dodge into trillion smash got nerfed. So it seems pointless to get used to doing that at this point.

#5 Posted by WolfHazard (479 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

Yellow orbing a Vergil fight kind of kills the whole point of playing on DMD (well maybe 1 if you're seriously having trouble)

I don't see how using yellow orbs kills the whole point, it doesn't even lower your score significantly.

@Aegon said:

Thanks for the spoilers.

My bad, I forgot that wasn't a known thing off the bat. Fix'd

@Sanious said:

Personally not going to resort the demon dodging and trillion smash myself. Makes it too easy and not as fun to mess around with the combat. Plus from the things I read about the PC update to the game, the stylish meter get altered and demon dodge into trillion smash got nerfed. So it seems pointless to get used to doing that at this point.

It kills the fun but if you're just going for the achievement it's a quick easy way to get it done, also even if the PC nerfs it then it's still irrelevant because Achievements are for the Xbox version anyway. Unless you're a Steam achievement guy, but idk if they exist.

#6 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@WolfHazard said:

It kills the fun but if you're just going for the achievement it's a quick easy way to get it done, also even if the PC nerfs it then it's still irrelevant because Achievements are for the Xbox version anyway. Unless you're a Steam achievement guy, but idk if they exist.

I imagine that they do.

I am just saying that it is a matter of time before they release the same patch for the consoles (I imagine it is going to come with the bloody palace patch), because then it isn't going to be a very viable tactic if you plan to trying to get triple S scores on other difficulties. Which I am personally trying to do.

#7 Posted by WolfHazard (479 posts) -

@Sanious: Ahh I see, I wasn't really planning on S ranking anything right away, I guess we'll find out with Bloody Palace. Which I'm stoked for, that was always one of my favorite modes.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

I never once used a single damn item at all. Actually have most of DMD SSS ranked. Honestly, game is pretty easy peasy. Still fun though and I hardly ever use Trinity Smash although I will use me some demon dodge although I don't endlessly abuse it.

#9 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@WolfHazard: Yeah me too. Hopefully when Vergil comes he's available for it too.

#10 Posted by WolfHazard (479 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Don't know why, Trinity Smash is a powerful attack yaknow

@Sanious: I don't see why he wouldn't be, actually more importantly, I'm curious how much his gameplay is going to be different, I wonder if they're going to give Yamato a demon and angel type weapon, he is just so different than Dante.

#11 Edited by Aegon (5706 posts) -

@WolfHazard said:

@Aegon said:

Thanks for the spoilers.

My bad, I forgot that wasn't a known thing off the bat. Fix'd

Meh, I knew he was bad news by the way he was treating Kat. Kinda sucks that he was willing to try and kill Dante. In any case, I just beat his ass handily. He barely scraped me. I don't know if I just caught on to his attack patterns really quick or that it's just plain easy. Either way, that fight was really fun. Too bad Vergil has to be a bad guy. He looks so cool.

#12 Posted by Wraxend (567 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@WolfHazard said:

@Aegon said:

Thanks for the spoilers.

Meh, I knew he was bad news by the way he was treating Kat. Kinda sucks that he was willing to try and kill Dante. In any case, I just beat his ass handily. He barely scraped me. I don't know if I just caught on to his attack patterns really quick or that it's just plain easy. Either way, that fight was really fun. Too bad Vergil has to be a bad guy. He looks so cool.

Well luckily we've got the Vergil dlc on the way! I really want them to do a sequel as I want more Dante and Vergil antics and I want to see the angels side.

#13 Posted by Strife777 (1605 posts) -

For your question about the rare artwork, its 50 hours, devil trigger 666 times, 5 000 000 points of damage and 60 SSS missions.

I'm in the process of beating Son of Sparda. I'm probably gonna take a break before Dante Must Die.

#14 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -

Thanks for those tips!

#15 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4420 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I never once used a single damn item at all. Actually have most of DMD SSS ranked. Honestly, game is pretty easy peasy. Still fun though and I hardly ever use Trinity Smash although I will use me some demon dodge although I don't endlessly abuse it.

So much for holding off on buying the game.

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Demoskinos said:

I never once used a single damn item at all. Actually have most of DMD SSS ranked. Honestly, game is pretty easy peasy. Still fun though and I hardly ever use Trinity Smash although I will use me some demon dodge although I don't endlessly abuse it.

So much for holding off on buying the game.

Huh?

#17 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

just the huge tip.

#18 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4420 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I thought you said you weren't going to buy this because you bought Ni no Kuni.

#19 Posted by JackSukeru (5922 posts) -

@Wraxend said:

@Aegon said:

@WolfHazard said:

@Aegon said:

Thanks for the spoilers.

Meh, I knew he was bad news by the way he was treating Kat. Kinda sucks that he was willing to try and kill Dante. In any case, I just beat his ass handily. He barely scraped me. I don't know if I just caught on to his attack patterns really quick or that it's just plain easy. Either way, that fight was really fun. Too bad Vergil has to be a bad guy. He looks so cool.

Well luckily we've got the Vergil dlc on the way! I really want them to do a sequel as I want more Dante and Vergil antics and I want to see the angels side.

Has there been any dates thrown around for the dlc's release? I'm kinda really looking forward to it.

#20 Posted by Subjugation (4725 posts) -

Well, wasn't expecting the spoilers.

Fantastic...

#21 Posted by Alkaiser (367 posts) -

Would you really consider it spoilers? Its like saying in Diablo its a spoiler that you fight Diablo. Or in Sword of Mana Dark King is actually a bad guy even though his name is Dark fucking King. Or evil senator man in any movie ever might have ulterior motives. Or the guy with the shifty eyes that the camera shadily pans to with ominous music will actually betray the hero later down the line.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Demoskinos: I thought you said you weren't going to buy this because you bought Ni no Kuni.

Oh i meant double dipping with the PC version. I've had the PS3 version since launch. Got 87 hours and the platinum trophy already. =p

#23 Posted by Grillbar (1872 posts) -

@Aegon said:

@WolfHazard said:

@Aegon said:

Thanks for the spoilers.

My bad, I forgot that wasn't a known thing off the bat. Fix'd

Meh, I knew he was bad news by the way he was treating Kat. Kinda sucks that he was willing to try and kill Dante. In any case, I just beat his ass handily. He barely scraped me. I don't know if I just caught on to his attack patterns really quick or that it's just plain easy. Either way, that fight was really fun. Too bad Vergil has to be a bad guy. He looks so cool.

Thanks for the spoilers.

just throwing it back at ya.

#24 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

Does angel dodge effectively act the same as demon dodge?
 
Other than configuring the face buttons (playing on PS3) my controls are default and L1 & R! are evade with L2 & R2 as angel and demon weapons respectively. 
 
I've trained myself to use r1  instead of l1 to evade as it just feels right so using both R triggers for a demon dodge is to difficult to pull of but i could get used to L2 and R1 if necessary.

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@hbkdx12: Um not really angel dodge isn't dependent on dodging a enemy attack to activate you can angel dodge any time you want. The point of angel dodge is to allow for a longer dodge that has more i-frames in it. The Demon dodge is all about split second dodges in exchange for amped up damage power.

#26 Edited by spankingaddict (2707 posts) -

How the fudge do you SSS rank mission 17 ?! I've beat it over and over , and just don't understand how I'm not doing it . FUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the only mission that's giving me trouble .

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@spankingaddict: You've just got to make the most out of all of your encounters. Also, FYI if you take the right path instead of the left you can fight an extra two enemies that are entirely skippable. If I remember rightly 17 is the well of souls with the fire and stuff right?

#28 Edited by spankingaddict (2707 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@spankingaddict: You've just got to make the most out of all of your encounters. Also, FYI if you take the right path instead of the left you can fight an extra two enemies that are entirely skippable. If I remember rightly 17 is the well of souls with the fire and stuff right?

Oh shit ! Yeah , that's right . Thanks , Wish me luck .. I'm really getting tired of playing this mission , LOL

EDIT . Got it and the platinum ! I just realized that I played more DmC than the previous four combined ! :P God , I'm going to miss playing this game daily for two weeks straight . Seriously , what an amazingly awesome game this is .

#29 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

Alright, I'm just saying... I know this is a reboot, so things could go differently... but if you have any affinity at all for the Devil May Cry series, that spoiler shouldn't be much of a spoiler.

However, if you've never touched DMC before, yeah, that kind of sucks to have spoiled for you.

#30 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

Alright, I'm just saying... I know this is a reboot, so things could go differently... but if you have any affinity at all for the Devil May Cry series, that spoiler shouldn't be much of a spoiler.

However, if you've never touched DMC before, yeah, that kind of sucks to have spoiled for you.

Still kinda sucks. Granted it wasn't spoiled for me, but I know the feeling.

Honestly, for me *MASSIVE FUCKING SPOILERS HOLY SHIT* I was beginning to think Virgil wouldn't end up being a bad guy, despite a few hints. It felt as though they were trying to imply he'd be bad, but weren't necessarily going for it.

#31 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

@clstirens said:

@punkxblaze said:

Alright, I'm just saying... I know this is a reboot, so things could go differently... but if you have any affinity at all for the Devil May Cry series, that spoiler shouldn't be much of a spoiler.

However, if you've never touched DMC before, yeah, that kind of sucks to have spoiled for you.

Still kinda sucks. Granted it wasn't spoiled for me, but I know the feeling.

Honestly, for me *MASSIVE FUCKING SPOILERS HOLY SHIT* I was beginning to think Virgil wouldn't end up being a bad guy, despite a few hints. It felt as though they were trying to imply he'd be bad, but weren't necessarily going for it.

I definitely sort of wish he hadn't been. The moments he and Dante share made me really like their dynamic, something we never got to see in the original DMC series. I'm really hoping, if they continue this series, that there is a chance at redemption for Vergil, since they never went there with the older games.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@spankingaddict: Nice. Congrats sir! I wouldn't put it on the shelf yet though Bloody Palace and the Vergil DLC are approaching.

#33 Posted by Fire_Of_The_Wind (171 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

@clstirens said:

@punkxblaze said:

Alright, I'm just saying... I know this is a reboot, so things could go differently... but if you have any affinity at all for the Devil May Cry series, that spoiler shouldn't be much of a spoiler.

However, if you've never touched DMC before, yeah, that kind of sucks to have spoiled for you.

Still kinda sucks. Granted it wasn't spoiled for me, but I know the feeling.

Honestly, for me *MASSIVE FUCKING SPOILERS HOLY SHIT* I was beginning to think Virgil wouldn't end up being a bad guy, despite a few hints. It felt as though they were trying to imply he'd be bad, but weren't necessarily going for it.

I definitely sort of wish he hadn't been. The moments he and Dante share made me really like their dynamic, something we never got to see in the original DMC series. I'm really hoping, if they continue this series, that there is a chance at redemption for Vergil, since they never went there with the older games.

I think that you should replay DMC3 and pay attention to the story or at least the interactions between Dante and Vergil.

#34 Posted by spankingaddict (2707 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@spankingaddict: Nice. Congrats sir! I wouldn't put it on the shelf yet though Bloody Palace and the Vergil DLC are approaching.

Huh , yeah . I usually don't like to support DLC , but just might get these . I have DmC installed on my ps3 , so I don't have to worry putting the game away . Do we know when these will release ?

#35 Posted by WolfHazard (479 posts) -

@spankingaddict said:

@Demoskinos said:

@spankingaddict: Nice. Congrats sir! I wouldn't put it on the shelf yet though Bloody Palace and the Vergil DLC are approaching.

Huh , yeah . I usually don't like to support DLC , but just might get these . I have DmC installed on my ps3 , so I don't have to worry putting the game away . Do we know when these will release ?

They're both coming out in February, however Bloody Palace is a free add on since they just didn't have it finished in time to ship and it was meant to be included. Also, why don''t you support DLC? That's like a huge profit area for developers and I don't understand why you wouldn't want to give them as much as you can for games you love.

#36 Posted by WolfHazard (479 posts) -

@Snail: You're welcome, I hope they help you S rank/Platinum the game.

#37 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

So how is the game after multiple breakthroughs? Are the difficulty any different than weaker you, stronger them?

#38 Posted by rolanthas (249 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: Anything above Nephilim greatly remixes enemies, by DMD they throw almost all enemy types on Mission 1, including color coded ones. I think I saw one or two new attacks on DMD, but that may be due to me being overly agressive in SoS and Nephilim, missing some animations here and there.

Beyond that, yeah, enemies hit harder, and can take more damage.

#39 Posted by spankingaddict (2707 posts) -

@WolfHazard said:

@spankingaddict said:

@Demoskinos said:

@spankingaddict: Nice. Congrats sir! I wouldn't put it on the shelf yet though Bloody Palace and the Vergil DLC are approaching.

Huh , yeah . I usually don't like to support DLC , but just might get these . I have DmC installed on my ps3 , so I don't have to worry putting the game away . Do we know when these will release ?

They're both coming out in February, however Bloody Palace is a free add on since they just didn't have it finished in time to ship and it was meant to be included. Also, why don''t you support DLC? That's like a huge profit area for developers and I don't understand why you wouldn't want to give them as much as you can for games you love.

I have to really love a dev to buy the DLC . I just think it's BS in general , if you have to pay a lot for them . And it usually doesn't feel necessary anyways ...

If you like to support DLC , that's cool too .

#40 Posted by dudeglove (8022 posts) -

@rolanthas said:

@Bourbon_Warrior: Anything above Nephilim greatly remixes enemies, by DMD they throw almost all enemy types on Mission 1, including color coded ones. I think I saw one or two new attacks on DMD, but that may be due to me being overly agressive in SoS and Nephilim, missing some animations here and there.

Beyond that, yeah, enemies hit harder, and can take more damage.

Are the boss attacks mixed up any in DMD mode?

#41 Edited by WolfHazard (479 posts) -
#42 Posted by LikeaSsur (1565 posts) -

Thanks for the tip!

#43 Edited by mnzy (2916 posts) -

I got a question for the better players: I've seen people in videos do uppercuts with Enyx (the fists) in the air. How do you do that? I seem to only have two moves with them in the air.

#44 Posted by dudeglove (8022 posts) -

@mnzy said:

I got a question for the better players: I've seen people in videos do uppercuts with Enyx (the fists) in the air. How do you do that? I seem to only have two moves with them in the air.

Enemy step jump canceling?

#45 Posted by mnzy (2916 posts) -
#46 Posted by dudeglove (8022 posts) -

@mnzy said:

@dudeglove:I have no idea what you just said.

Enemy step is an ability you can buy in the game which lets you jump off enemies and, at the same time, cancel Dante's attack animation. If, for example, you launch your enemy and do the helm breaker move in the air with Rebellion (circle/B on your controller), with the right timing after the move connects you hit jump and - instead of slamming down into the ground with the enemy, you jump off them, thus remaining in the air and in the same condition you were before the helm breaker (i.e. you can double jump too). You can string several helm breakers into one movement with the right timing. This video gives a decent example.

So if you're in the right position you can cancel any move immediately (even firearms) and hit another attack such as the eryx slam move over and over again. Fun times, especially if you start input buffering! The timing is hard though, and I'm kind of useless at it, but enemy step is worth getting used to, as it lets you stay airborne where most enemies can't get you.

Also enemy step has about one other use in the game where you need to get up high to get one lost soul, but the real reason is to make mad combos, dawg.

#47 Posted by GiantBomber (352 posts) -

Once more into the breach.

#48 Posted by WolfHazard (479 posts) -

@mnzy: Are you talking about the B/B+ Charge uppercut?

#49 Posted by mnzy (2916 posts) -
#50 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@mnzy said:

@wolfhazard: Well I don't know how to do it, but it's in the air and also in the Bloody Palace trailer at 1:03: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de3gSc9x06I&t=1m3s

I finished the game on DMD and have no idea how to do that.

I'm unsure why no one has been able to answer this yet...

After the Angelic Pull, but just before you connect with them, tap X to launch the enemy with an uppercut (it's an ability you have to purchase)...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.