Make up your mind!

#1 Posted by Platina32 (31 posts) -

Okay, so I've been in doubt whether I should buy this game or not. So I decided to let it depend on the reviews... *sigh*

Reviews for this game are all over the place, ranging from 1/10 to 10/10. Why is it that some people absolutely hate the game, and others love it? I've never seen so much diversity in reviews for a game as for this one.

#2 Posted by Ares42 (2624 posts) -

What you're seeing is the new divide between gamers about why they play games. The way this generation of games has been focused on telling stories etc has made more and more people focus on that as their judgement of the quality of a game. For (most of) those people DmC is not a very good game. However for the people that still mostly judge games based on their gameplay DmC is a pretty decent game. So take that as your advice, are you looking for a game with a deeper meaning which engages you on an intellectual level, or do you want some stupid fun ?

#3 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

where did it get a 1/10? I just looked on Metacritic and it has an average of 86 with the lowest being a 70.

Not sure where you get your reviews from, but this game seems to be very well received by all.

#4 Posted by MurderBunny (50 posts) -

Ignore all reviews. For or against it dose not matter you have to find some ones who taste in games you agree with.

IF you are a Devil May Cry and Bayonetta fan then this game's combat system will be to easy and lack a lot of the skill that we used to have. IF you are not a fan of that series you might like it, but that is only if you like the main charctors and that is op to personal tastes. Watch a few videos and see if you get annoyed by Dante then stay away if not then go buy it.

#5 Posted by JacDG (2119 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

where did it get a 1/10? I just looked on Metacritic and it has an average of 86 with the lowest being a 70.

Not sure where you get your reviews from, but this game seems to be very well received by all.

Maybe user reviews? Just looking at the user reviews on metacritic for games like this makes my eyes hurt, people are idiots.

#6 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -

Part of it is also fans of the original series that don't care for the direction the reboot has taken.

#7 Edited by Platina32 (31 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

What you're seeing is the new divide between gamers about why they play games. The way this generation of games has been focused on telling stories etc has made more and more people focus on that as their judgement of the quality of a game. For (most of) those people DmC is not a very good game. However for the people that still mostly judge games based on their gameplay DmC is a pretty decent game. So take that as your advice, are you looking for a game with a deeper meaning which engages you on an intellectual level, or do you want some stupid fun ?

Thanks for the advice, that surely clears it up a bit.

@zombie2011 said:

A lot of players give it a 1 out of 10. I don't just look at the ratings of professional reviewers, because I sometimes agree more with the reviews of users.

#8 Posted by Daftronaut (30 posts) -

I really, really hope you're not actually talking about user reviews. I figured that it was common sense to not take those 1/10 user reviews seriously...

#9 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

when look for advised for buying a game i find user 'review' about as much use as a dead cat in a bag at the bottom of a river.

watch the quicklook and decide for yourself if its a game you would enjoy.

#10 Posted by Jettblackk (52 posts) -

@Platina32: I disagree, I tend judge game based on the whole package, gameplay, story, presentation,ect And I found DmC to be a very well rounded and great game...

#11 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

It is a split between people who just want a fun and simple action game and a game with deep mechanics. Looking from the perspective of a DMC or similar type of game fan this seems like a downgrade but for people who never played them or never really dug deep into them it seems really good. I guess they style is a very subjective thing as well and some people found the story amazing while others horrendous.

Just pick up the demo and if it seems like your kind of thing go for it or pick up the HD versions of the old games, they are cheaper than the new one at the moment anyway

#12 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Those 1/10 reviews are bogus, a bunch of people pissed off that the game is different to it's predecessors and that have way too much time on their hands.

#13 Posted by Petiew (1345 posts) -

User reviews often follow this pattern to come to their overall score
1: Didn't like it/ Didn't play it
10: Liked it

#14 Edited by Sanious (793 posts) -

@Platina32 said:

A lot of players give it a 1 out of 10. I don't just look at the ratings of professional reviewers, because I sometimes agree more with the reviews of users.

There are times when I can see looking at user reviews, but for this game user reviews should be off limits. 1/10 isn't going to be a proper review, it's going to be an angry irrational "fan."

#15 Edited by Sanious (793 posts) -

@Blimble said:

It is a split between people who just want a fun and simple action game and a game with deep mechanics. Looking from the perspective of a DMC or similar type of game fan this seems like a downgrade but for people who never played them or never really dug deep into them it seems really good. I guess they style is a very subjective thing as well and some people found the story amazing while others horrendous.

And this is not entirely true. I've played DMC since the first game and I appreciate a combat system that can be deep. At the same time I appreciate and enjoy what this game is rather then what it isn't. Could it be deeper? Yes, it could be, but it isn't. What it is doing with what it has is good, though. And what this game does I actually enjoy and find fun with it. I know it is harder to do with this considering it is an established series and this is reboot but some of us do like the older ones, like what they are but can separate this one, take it for what it is and enjoy what it is doing on its own merits.

#16 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@Sanious: That's fair. I personally never like seeing any series being dumbed down especially when there is no need to and from this big backlash obviously a lot of DMC fans feel the same way but I'm sure a lot will also enjoy both. Maybe if a DmC 2 happens they'll be able to improve the combat to previous levels but unless new Dante has a huge character change and the story gets written differently I just don't think I could stand to play the game.

i just don't think it was right that a great series (arguably one the best in the genre) was lost to be rebooted to an okay game (depending on how you feel about the story) but I guess it is better than most reboots get

#17 Posted by hermes (1415 posts) -

@Platina32 said:

@zombie2011 said:

Don't. This game was going to be divisive since it was announced. I could bet 90% of the 1/10 reviews were written by people that a) didn't play the game but hated that it existed; or b) played the game, but hated it from the start menu. Users reviews can be useful at times, but for games with such a fanbase there is always going to be angry people that will not give it a fair shot.

My advice is that, for this game, you actually read the reviews more than look at the scores. Besides the obvious hate or love reviews, those in the middle can be more useful. Read what the put into words about what they liked or disliked about it, and it should be useful to see if you yourself have a problem with that. That is my favorite part about this site, since with reviews + quick looks + bombcast, you can always find further explanations behind their opinions. In games like this, don't summarize everything to a number (or worst, an aggregation of several number), read the reviews... numbers are poor substitutes for opinions, context is everything.

#18 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

The user reviews are skewed by idiot communities who banded together to slander and piss all over the game with their tiny entitled userreview dicks.

They are not to be trusted.

#19 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@hermes said:

That is my favorite part about this site, since with reviews + quick looks + bombcast, you can always find further explanations behind their opinions. In games like this, don't summarize everything to a number (or worst, an aggregation of several number), read the reviews... numbers are poor substitutes for opinions, context is everything.

Just to add to this it is always good to wait a week or two and then get their opinion on a game. A lot of stuff like Fable 3 they like at first but after a while didn't care for, same with Diablo 3. Generally if a game was given a high score their opinion doesn't change that much but it is always worth giving them a bit of time

#20 Posted by ReCkLeSs_X (460 posts) -

Some people here seem to have formed their own opinions and are trying to push them a tad. I say if a game interests you, try it out via renting or such and take it from there.

#21 Edited by Quarters (1680 posts) -

I greatly enjoyed the story/gameplay/presentation, and that's speaking as a big fan of the originals. Give it a shot, and see if you like it. Also, take user reviews with a barrel of salt.

#22 Posted by yoshisaur (2703 posts) -

At this point I think it's quite established by users & critics that the game is very well made and fun unless you have a stick up your butt for the "old" DmC. I always felt the previous games were a mess and really enjoyed this one. Depends on which side of the telescope you look through.

#23 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

It depends what you want from the game, weather you should get it or not.

#24 Posted by DrCaveman (12 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

However for the people that still mostly judge games based on their gameplay DmC is a pretty decent game. So take that as your advice, are you looking for a game with a deeper meaning which engages you on an intellectual level, or do you want some stupid fun ?

It's mostly the opposite way around. DmC combat is less intuitive, deep, and tactical. Boss fights are literal circle, fire/attack, dodge, and repeat affairs.

You can argue the depth and complaicted nature of the previous games fight scenes got in the way, but that's a different set of criteria then 'solid gameplay' and it's called accessibility.

#25 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

Stick with 3 video game websites you frequent the most and see what their reviews are for the game. As for DmC in particular do not trust user reviews.

#26 Posted by ESREVER (2682 posts) -

Eff all reveiwers, buy DmC. I'm a huge fan of the series, and this is prolly the best one. The combat is so damn good and Vergil is hawtness.

#27 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

If you're looking for another Devil May Cry game, look elsewhere, if you're looking for a great action game, look no further. I am a huge DMC fan, but this game is doing its own thing, and it's doing it pretty damn well.

#28 Posted by JordanK85 (140 posts) -

Just as a bit of a tip, when looking at user reviews, don't look at any of the reviews that are "perfect" x/x or scores that are 1/x. The vast majority of reviews associated with both those kinds of scores will by hyperbolic; the former ignoring cons and the latter ignoring pros. Look at intermediate scores that have some sound reasoning attached to them and make your decision based on that if you must look at user reviews. This goes just not for user reviews of games but user reviews of products on Amazon or similar sites as well. I find that this method makes user reviews much more useful.

#29 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@JTB123: I think a lot of the problem though is they are to similar but do it in a simpler way, that makes the games being very easy to comapre. I think they would really have been better developing whole new gameplay and mechanics for it but then you have the problem of should it be DMC any more

#30 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

@Blimble: I agree the games are easy to compare, but I have put thousands of hours into previous Devil May Cry games so what might seem like slight differences for some are huge for me, I play this game very differently to how I play previous DMC's. Granted that's not going to be a common perspective, but I think people are way to quick in saying "hey (thing x) isn't exactly like the old games" instead of looking at that particular thing and breaking it down to see how it works.

Above all DmC is just a great action game, which is something there's not a ton of about these days.

#31 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

Expectations, bro. A lot of past fans of the series don't like the direction the new game went and therefore rate it poorly.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (14769 posts) -

Well if user reviews matter to you there are some here and I'll toot my own horn here and say I just put up my fairly lengthy review last night. :-D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.