More emo Dante in new gameplay trailer from GamesCom

#1 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Looks fun and snappy. It looks like it could be a decent game despite all the hate.

#2 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Decent at best.

#3 Posted by EuanDewar (4908 posts) -

GAMEBOMB.RU YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR VIDEOGAME NEWS, PREVIEWS AND REVIEWS

#4 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

I love the fact that you took the video from GAMEBOMB.

#5 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

Light up the weaboo signal, it's bitchin' time!

#6 Posted by rmanthorp (3944 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

GAMEBOMB.RU YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR VIDEOGAME NEWS, PREVIEWS AND REVIEWS

I SEEN IT FROM A MILE OFF!

GET OUT OF HERE GAMEBOMB SPY!

#7 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

That looks like more devil May Cry.

A good thing in my books.

#8 Posted by rmanthorp (3944 posts) -

Video related: I LOVE Gamebomb now, I hadn't seen this before!

#9 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4496 posts) -

Well it looks good, but due to my feelings of Ninja Theory being quite mediocre and Capcom 'just not getting it' anymore, I'll have to wait until this game actually comes out to decide if I should actually be excited...

#10 Posted by CheapPoison (731 posts) -

love the title.

#11 Posted by MEATBALL (3237 posts) -

This looks like a game that I would enjoy. I can't see it being say, DMC3 good, but it's certainly quelling any fears the original reveal created.

#12 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3089 posts) -

They gameplay actually looks decent!  A marked improvement from the last few trailers they showed... but the real problem is, what's the hook to buy this, when Bayonetta has already made Devil May Cry obsolete?

#13 Posted by amir90 (2156 posts) -

I like it.

#14 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -
@Rufi91 said:

that's 

amazing
#15 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

Ha Gamebomb. 

Looks alright, but i just can't get into these kind of games anymore. 

#16 Posted by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

We're aping content from gamebomb now? The universe has officially folded into itself!

#17 Posted by dudeglove (7837 posts) -

I am not disappoint.

#18 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

The only qualm I had left with this game was if the combat was going to come out decent in the hands of Ninja Theory. From this glimpse it looks like it will!

#19 Posted by The_Nubster (2130 posts) -

I thought this was DMC, not My Chemical Romance: The Game! 

Lolololo, because Dante looks emo!

#20 Edited by SpartanAmbrose (834 posts) -

@Red12b said:

@Rufi91 said:

that's amazing

I completely forgot why I was in this thread after watching that trailer. Hilarious.

Oh right. DMC.

#21 Posted by Toxin066 (3287 posts) -

I'm starting to have some faith in this game.

Also, GAMEBOMB?!

#22 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Looks real nice. Also, it's Ninja Theory so you know they're gonna do something interesting with the story.

#23 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@The_Nubster said:
I thought this was DMC, not My Chemical Romance: The Game!  Lolololo, because Dante looks emo!
You wanna cookie for that comment or something?

@Akrid said:
The only qualm I had left with this game was if the combat was going to come out decent in the hands of Ninja Theory. From this glimpse it looks like it will!
Pretty much this, all I was worried about was the flow of combat and it looks like I have nothing to worry about, it looks flashy and good, just what I would expect from a DMC game.
#24 Edited by coryrx8 (175 posts) -

Personally, I think that looks awful. The animations look stiff, the transitions between animations look awkward, the environment design is terrible (room full of crates? SERIOUSLY? In a DMC game?!), this looks like a bland PS2 game. I'm not exactly a "they changed it now it sucks" type of guy, but when someone reinvents a franchise I expect it to get the basics right, and this really doesn't.

So... when's Bayonetta 2 coming out?

#25 Posted by MattyFTM (14383 posts) -

Looks like Devil May Cry. I really don't know whether that is a good or bad thing anymore.

#26 Posted by N7 (3588 posts) -

Where's Dante? All I'm seeing is Tameem Antoniades.

Oh, that's right. Because he decided to model Dante after himself to give gamers a better sense of fashion design, something that the original Devil May Cry games failed to do.

It's about time, Tameem. It's about time.

#27 Posted by The_Nubster (2130 posts) -
@Catolf said:
@The_Nubster said:
I thought this was DMC, not My Chemical Romance: The Game!  Lolololo, because Dante looks emo!
You wanna cookie for that comment or something?
It was a purposefully stupid comment in the spirit of good fun to tease people who are appalled by the redesign.
#28 Edited by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I like Devil May Cry a lot and this looks....pretty good, actually. I'm warming up to this game.

#29 Posted by Flappy (2240 posts) -

This game looks pretty.  Yup.  That's all I got.

#30 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

It looks pretty good. I just hope NT can fix the framerate issues of their previous games.

#31 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Looks better than the previous Ninja Theory games' combat, but we won't really know until we play it.

Still cautiously optimistic.

#32 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@coryrx8 said:
Personally, I think that looks awful. The animations look stiff, the transitions between animations look awkward, the environment design is terrible (room full of crates? SERIOUSLY? In a DMC game?!), this looks like a bland PS2 game. I'm not exactly a "they changed it now it sucks" type of guy, but when someone reinvents a franchise I expect it to get the basics right, and this really doesn't.  So... when's Bayonetta 2 coming out?
How does it look stiff? I'll give you room design but there is always crap designs like that for fighting mobs.
#33 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Looks great, looks fun and looks like some Devil May Cry-ass Devil May Cry!

#34 Edited by coryrx8 (175 posts) -
@Catolf said:

@coryrx8 said:

Personally, I think that looks awful. The animations look stiff, the transitions between animations look awkward, the environment design is terrible (room full of crates? SERIOUSLY? In a DMC game?!), this looks like a bland PS2 game. I'm not exactly a "they changed it now it sucks" type of guy, but when someone reinvents a franchise I expect it to get the basics right, and this really doesn't.  So... when's Bayonetta 2 coming out?
How does it look stiff? I'll give you room design but there is always crap designs like that for fighting mobs.
Granted, this isn't Ninja Gaiden or God of War. Devil May Cry's animation has always been a bit robotic (and Bayonetta follows suit) but this seems to be even worse than the originals. Nothing seems fluid about that video to me. There are way too few keyframes in the animation; it looks like Ninja Theory was operating under the assumption that faster animation (something that they aren't exactly experienced with) means you can get away with more interpolation between frames, but that definitely isn't the case.

I don't remember any of the other DMCs having room designs that bad. Even the second one, which had terrible environmental design, never resorted to using the old room-full-of-crates aesthetic. Come to think of it, that's exactly what the environments remind me of: DMC2.
#35 Posted by Pixelzombie (87 posts) -

@N7 said:

Where's Dante?

He's at 00:36 in the trailer.

#36 Posted by TheSpartanDon (158 posts) -

No White Hair = No Sale.

/sarcasm.

#37 Posted by Yummylee (21621 posts) -
@Rufi91 said:

This is now a Frank West thread. He truly is FAAAAN-TASTIC.
#38 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10999 posts) -

I still hate the design of new Dante, despite the fact that the game looks fun. Oh well. 

#39 Posted by dudeglove (7837 posts) -

@TheSpartanDon said:

No White Hair = No Sale.

/sarcasm.

There is white hair.

#40 Posted by TheHT (11240 posts) -

I really like the look of this game, and that motion blur put to good use. Pulled back camera is refreshing too. Game looks like fun!

#41 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

I watched this in some vein, naive attempt to spark some sort of support for this title...it didn't work. Along with Dante's design looking uninspired (classic red longcoat covering...is that a white goddamn t-shirt?) along with the hair...I wouldn't mind if they gave him a more punk hairdo, because that would suit the tone of the game...I'd say the main reason I don't really care is that it's just more of the same. The combat looks bland, if it follows DMC4 all those 'cool' moves just won't flow, and the overall aesthetic of the game in general seems bland and brown...I dunno, it just doesn't register for me anymore.  In fact, the only word I can use to describe it is...well...bland. Three times I've said that, and I still can't get over it!

Maybe I was spoiled by Bayonetta, but that game at least had the common courtesy to mix colour palettes every now and again, and have an insane combat system that looked more amazing depending on the power of your combos. And I know, it's just a gameplay trailer, but they could at least give us something more awesome to look at that boring air juggles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.