Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Ninja Theory = game will be great, don't worry

• 69 results
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jost1

Come on now. I know you're worried about Dante not being platinum blonde anymore but that's also the only thing you need to worry about.

If you played Enslaved you'll know that Ninja Theory know how to make amazing, cinematic experiences and you should rest easy, knowing that this game will be seriously cool. Hell, Jeff Gerstmann said on the latest bombcast that it looked cool and he's seen more of it than we have. So don't be afraid of change and give the game a chance.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

I give you points for trying but most people still won't agree with you (even though I think you're correct)

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I've never been worried.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jost1

@OllyOxenFree said:

I've never been worried.

Me neither! Initial reaction was "Oh...he looks different. Wait, he actually looks less stupid now and Ninja Theory is making it!"

@Sackmanjones said:

I give you points for trying but most people still won't agree with you (even though I think you're correct)

Thanks!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By McGhee

I think Ninja Theory does a lot of things well like mo-cap and graphics. I also enjoyed the world they created in Enslaved and the story up to a point, but that ending man. It was just bad. I also think the combat was a little shallow. Hopefully these things will be improved in Devil May Cry. I've never cared about the series, but at least I'm interested now.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Deusx

I'm not saying it's going to be bad but it may end up being shit. Ninja Theory did Enslaved but remember, they also did Heavenly Sword... Wich is a horrible game.

@rebgav said:

@Jost1 said:

Ninja Theory know how to make amazing, cinematic experiences

Wouldn't DMC fans be more concerned about Ninja Theory's lack of experience in skill-based, combo-driven, high-score chasing Japanese action games?

Also this. Fans of the series aren't there for the "cinematic experience". They want hard as nails, skill based action.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually try not to be a dick... but I'm going to be a dick. I thought Enslaved (And Heavenly Sword for that matter) was a massive pile of shit when it came to combat, and that's like eighty percent of what makes DMC so damn great to me. However, I'm cautiously optimistic as they seem to have possibly made a pretty decent combat system judging by the trailers, but I will be really surprised if it actually meets my expectations as a game in the DMC franchise.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SuperWristBands

I'm fine with all the visual aspects of DmC (though it did take awhile) and it looks to have some good style but I think what worries most people about Ninja Theory developing it is that both of their previous Character Action Games - Heavenly Sword and Enslaved - fall into the "God of War" category. People who enjoy Devil May Cry for it's gameplay recognize that there are two distinct styles to a CAG (though I'm sure anyone can recognize the difference as well). That being one that plays more akin to DMC (like Bayonetta) and one that plays like God of War (like Heavenly Sword, Enslaved). This is a huge deal for people like me who want to play a game with more finesse and style like Devil May Cry and are worried when a developer who has made two previous games that have little finesse or style in regards to combat may be dumbing down this new game.

There are still worries about it's combat and until someone who knows and understands what people are looking for in gameplay out of a DMC game (read: not the staff) tries it and says it's A-Ok I'll be cautiously optimistic. I'm not trying to slam this game, I think it looks pretty rad but until I get my hands on it, I don't know if it plays right.

Being cool and cinematic is a plus, sure, but the most important thing is that it plays like a Devil May Cry game and not one of the two games the developer has created in the past.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

The core of DMC games has been the incredibly deep combat system, something that I'm sure Ninja Theory won't be able to replicate fully. Don't get me wrong, I am hype as fuck for this game, but it's not because it's going to be an amazing DMC game. It's because it's going to be an amazing Ninja Theory game.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @StarvingGamer said:

It's because it's going to be an amazing Ninja Theory game.

Please don't say that with such certainty! It makes me sad. (because I want it to be a DMC game, not because Ninja Theory games are bad)
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By I_smell

I think the style is pretty fun- I wasn't really interested in the game until that last trailer.

More than that though, I hope they get the combat right! The last couple DMC games have had PERFECT enemy and boss design, where they all have unique AI behavoirs, everything has it's own strategy, certain enemies combine or co-operate, and everything's just really smartly done.

As long as something surprises me, or one of the weapons is really insane, or one of the enemies feels really alive: They'll have done it.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By HadesTimes

The game looks great and the systems look good. I just hope the story is descent.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just looked at the Ninja Theory page... Holy shit! They made Kung Fu Chaos?!

I fucking loved that game on the original Xbox! Oh, and yeah, the other games aren't bad either, but holy shit Kung Fu Chaos!

Alright. Consider me interested in the Devil May Cry reboot.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CheapPoison

Jeff also didn't care for the other games in the serie. So for fans that might still be a bad thing.

And i hope the gameplay is good, and to some the ninja theory game aren't as fluid. but who knows!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@xobballox said:

I usually try not to be a dick... but I'm going to be a dick. I thought Enslaved (And Heavenly Sword for that matter) was a massive pile of shit when it came to combat, and that's like eighty percent of what makes DMC so damn great to me. However, I'm cautiously optimistic as they seem to have possibly made a pretty decent combat system judging by the trailers, but I will be really surprised if it actually meets my expectations as a game in the DMC franchise.

This. I think Ninja Theory makes good movies. They make average, at best, actual games.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Nottle

@Jost1: Ninja Theory knows how to do stories well, but I have a feeling most DMC fans don't really care about great story as much as "is it cool?" The reason Dante is cool is because he has a Devil May Care attitude, he has dumb one liners and a sick red duster. People don't like Dante when he is broody like in 2, they like him when he kills guys with a pool ball and pizza or when he stops a motor cycle from hitting him my shooting in a lot. Watch the intro to DMC 3 and look at how much he does not give a fuck to being stabbed by 5 scythes. The most recent trailer is what I'm talking about, it shows the ridiculous and cocky character that Dante should be.

But a good game is not built solely on the cinematic experience.

The thing that they need to get right is the combat. Heavenly Sword wasn't the best at that and a DMC game needs to have good combat. DMC3 was so awesome because they gave you a lot of very unique weapons, there were a triple ice nunchucks and a fricking electric guitar for christ sakes. And all those stances. The game play I've seen looks ok, but I haven't seen much in terms of variation.

Also Dante looks a little like Gary from Bully. I also prefer the white hair and red duster, but thats not what makes a good game. But man red dusters are cool on fake people.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mutha3

Uhm.....

I hope you realize Ninja Theory is exactly the reason people should be worried. I'll refrain from commenting on the story of these games, but have you played  Enslaved and Heavenly Blade?

Because the part where you played them was ass. And the part where DMC is supposed to shine is its expertly crafted gameplay.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jost1

@StarvingGamer said:

The core of DMC games has been the incredibly deep combat system, something that I'm sure Ninja Theory won't be able to replicate fully. Don't get me wrong, I am hype as fuck for this game, but it's not because it's going to be an amazing DMC game. It's because it's going to be an amazing Ninja Theory game.

I get that.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jost1

@mutha3 said:

Uhm.....

I hope you realize Ninja Theory is exactly the reason people should be worried. I'll refrain from commenting on the story of these games, but have you played Enslaved and Heavenly Blade? Because the part where you played them was ass. And the part where DMC is supposed to shine is its expertly crafted gameplay.

You haven't played a bad game in your life if you think Enslaved was ass.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By The_Nubster

@Jost1 said:

@mutha3 said:

Uhm.....

I hope you realize Ninja Theory is exactly the reason people should be worried. I'll refrain from commenting on the story of these games, but have you played Enslaved and Heavenly Blade? Because the part where you played them was ass. And the part where DMC is supposed to shine is its expertly crafted gameplay.

Yeah, really. Everything about Enslaved except the combat was exceptionally well done, and even then, the combat was only alright. Nothing about that game was ass. Heavenly Sword, though, was sub-par on the action.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Jost1: I agree with you except that I feel Ninja Theory's games to date have had only serviceable gameplay at best and for DmC to shine it really needs to have outstanding gameplay.

That being said, everything I've seen leads me to believe that they have stepped up their game in that department (possibly with the assistance of Capcom?). If they can nail the gameplay I'm more than confident that every other aspect will (like it has in Ninja Theory's other titles) be outstanding.

File me under Cautiously Optimistic.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By zyn

One word: Enslaved.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By morningstar

I think it has potential, fingers crossed it will be great. We'll know soon enough.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have high hopes but I'm in the "Enslaved had a cool story but weak as hell combat" camp. And I didn't like HS either, I just don't know if NT can replicate the things I love about DMC. I hope they can, and I like what I've seen so far, but no matter how pretty it looks and how well the story is told, that game will live or die by its combat.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss

@zyn said:

Seeing as people are pretty split as to whether Enslaved was awesome or ass (with many in between) your "one word" doesn't really say much. Perhaps two words are in order? :P

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By I_smell

Have they showed any enemies other than the regular drone enemies? Or have they shown any bosses?

EDIT- Yeah alright, looking at the Images folder on Giantbomb, there's at least one standout crazy boss.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By therabidfrog

Didn't like any of the Devil May Cry games so I'm not worried at all.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By I_smell

@text said:

On the unreal engine, you can't exactly have these large dynamic groups to fight, so having to juggle your attention and combos between those large groups, one of the core DMC mainstays, is right out the window.

Oh it sounds like you've made a lot of games in Unreal. I had no idea the number of enemies slider was a harsh limitation.

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Packie

@Jost1 said:

@mutha3 said:

Uhm.....

The gameplay was ass though due to its sluggish, unresponsive nature. Art direction, voice acting and visuals were superb, I'll give NT that.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By killacam

@McGhee said:

I think Ninja Theory does a lot of things well like mo-cap and graphics. I also enjoyed the world they created in Enslaved and the story up to a point, but that ending man. It was just bad. I also think the combat was a little shallow. Hopefully these things will be improved in Devil May Cry. I've never cared about the series, but at least I'm interested now.

my favourite ending i can think of right now. it posed a question as prescient and pervasive as that of the meaning of life. so perfect

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33  Edited By zyn

@ProfessorEss said:

@zyn said:

Seeing as people are pretty split as to whether Enslaved was awesome or ass (with many in between) your "one word" doesn't really say much. Perhaps two words are in order? :P

Sorry. In my opinion, Enslaved is ass.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CptBedlam

@Jost1: If anything, playing previous NT games makes me worried about the gameplay.

I sure hope DMC doesn't feel as sluggish as Enslaved did.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Karl_Boss

I'm not worried, but I don't think Ninja Theory gives people a reason not to worry.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vorbis

There's no doubt that the facial animations, voice acting and story will be good. The doubt is that no one played DMC for any of those things, it was always about the insane combat, it's one of the few console games that ran at 60fps because it needed to, some of the combat mechanics in DMC like jump cancelling are almost fighting game level.

Ninja Theorys combat on the other hand has always been their weakest point, I loved Enslaved but the combat and camera angles were just terrible, they have always prioritized animations over mechanics. It's hard to tell from what they've shown so far just how good the combat will be but they have stated it will be 30fps which is a bad start.

Don't really care if Dante now looks like an emo teenager, they had just better deliver on the combat.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By I_smell

GAMEPLAY!

There are some really fuckin sweet scenes. The hits your doing don't see to have a lot of punch, and all the sound is kinda bland, but hey- He pulled a shield out of that guy's hand, so that's a good sign.

Animation is all pretty sick.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BoOzak

As others have mentioned the combat in Heavenly Sword was terrible, not just bad, borderline fucking broken. That said they can make interesting storys and great cinematics, and for that reason alone i'll definately rent DmC. But I have yet to play a fighting game outside of Japan (Character-Action or otherwise) with enough depth to warrant mastering it's mechanics.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By WMWA

Have any of you played it? No? Why do these debates exist again?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#40  Edited By jacksukeru

I hated Heavenly Sword, though the characters were cool.

I thought the demo of Enslaved that I played seemed like a step up, if still feeling a bit stiff in the everything.

Looking at gameplay from DMC it looks satisfactory to me, hard to know for sure. The sounds sound weak and weird though, not sure what is up with that. The design of the game or its main character surprised and bothered me for a total of 2 minutes after seeing the announcement trailer, I am so far beyond that right now that something something.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#41  Edited By Hailinel

@Jost1 said:

@mutha3 said:

Uhm.....

It was also not anything even close to resembling a Devil May Cry-style action game.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By TechHits

I thought that he looks way better.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ketchupp

I didn't care for Enslaved... don't hit me.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By landon

The combat was the worst part of Enslaved, that is why I worry for DMC.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By Enigma777

So far Ninja Theory is 0/2. If I want 3-hour long games with poor combat and shitty endings, I'll go play a NT game. But I don't so I won't.

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By rolanthas

both enslaved and heavenly sword had amazing cutscenes, and imho overall stories, nicely fleshed out settings etc. however, both of them also had downright abysmal combat systems, so I won't hold my breath for this until I actually get my hands on it, preferably on a demo.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cannonballbam
    I am already excited. The ladies love 'em.
    I am already excited. The ladies love 'em.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@xobballox said:

This. Everything I enjoyed about their previous games had nothing to do with combat.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By Morrow

The redesign of Dante's character is a huge drawback for me. I never owned a PS2 and was so happy to finally play a DMC game on my PS3. And of course I was looking forward to the franchise continuing on the next gen consoles. And now they made a mediocre punk out of my white-haired bishie! >:(

I'll still get the game because I enjoy the fast gameplay, but Dante will never be the same to me again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.