Ninja Theory = game will be great, don't worry

• 71 results
#51 Edited by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

@Morrow said:

The redesign of Dante's character is a huge drawback for me. I never owned a PS2 and was so happy to finally play a DMC game on my PS3. And of course I was looking forward to the franchise continuing on the next gen consoles. And now they made a mediocre punk out of my white-haired bishie! >:(

I'll still get the game because I enjoy the fast gameplay, but Dante will never be the same to me again.

That seems a little melodramatic don't you think? You're placing too much emphasis on his appearance; just because he doesn't have the same hairdo anymore shouldn't (and judging by the trailers, won't) alter who he is as a character. Which is to say a wise-cracking, confident overall lovable douchebag.

People's misgivings over how the gameplay will shape up is more than understandable, but still getting peeved over his change in appearance at this point feels unnecessary. Still, ''mediocre punk'' is at least much more restrained than the nonsensical ''emo twilight fag'' generalisations he's been given ;P

#52 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

@Yummylee: I don't think so. It's not like they just changed his hairstyle, he bears absolutely no resemblance to Dante at all. One of the major things that make an artificial character seem real to us his his exterior. We can't identify them by how they feel or smell, just by how they look. And recreating a character whose design is in a way a reflection of his personality is like erasing him and putting a dummy in his place. In my opinion, they should have either continued with the old Dante, the flagship of the franchise, or start over with a new character.

#53 Posted by Alkaiser (366 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@Jost1 said:

@mutha3 said:

Uhm.....

I hope you realize Ninja Theory is exactly the reason people should be worried. I'll refrain from commenting on the story of these games, but have you played Enslaved and Heavenly Blade? Because the part where you played them was ass. And the part where DMC is supposed to shine is its expertly crafted gameplay.

You haven't played a bad game in your life if you think Enslaved was ass.

Yeah, really. Everything about Enslaved except the combat was exceptionally well done, and even then, the combat was only alright. Nothing about that game was ass. Heavenly Sword, though, was sub-par on the action.

I don't know. It was incredibly average. The combat sucked and the platforming was pretty lame in Enslaved because it pretty much played the game for you and the whole story was okay, I guess.

For a video game. Which is to say, I still didn't really give a shit about it.

And also? Heavenly Sword is ass and will always be ass. Terrible game. Just awful.

#54 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

I thought DMC4's combat was absolutely horrid as was it's movement in general. It was slow and sluggish but to me, my favourite part of it, was the cinematic experience. The cutscenes were better than the game itself.

If Ninja Theory can keep that cinematic experience and throw in some decent gameplay, I'm down.

#55 Edited by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@Yummylee: I don't think so. It's not like they just changed his hairstyle, he bears absolutely no resemblance to Dante at all. One of the major things that make an artificial character seem real to us his his exterior. We can't identify them by how they feel or smell, just by how they look. And recreating a character whose design is in a way a reflection of his personality is like erasing him and putting a dummy in his place. In my opinion, they should have either continued with the old Dante, the flagship of the franchise, or start over with a new character.

See, again, I think you're really paying too much attention to the appearance of Dante. No, naturally we can't identify with video game characters by the way they 'feel or smell', but that doesn't get in the way of us relating through their personality and their characteristics. Maybe it speaks to how shallow Dante really is as a character if him receiving a different makeover suddenly abolishes everything that he is to some people...

Frankly as far as I'm concerned, as long as this new Dante is cracking wise and generally trying far too hard to be 'cool', then he'll be the same Dante I've always known. Plus for me personally, I prefer his new punk look to the greasy haired Dante most people recognise him as from DMC3/DMC4. And Hell, given that it's Ninja Theory doing the writing this time around, maybe Dante will actually manage to pull off looking as badass as he's always tried to be.

#56 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

@Yummylee: Well that's your opinion, I explained mine. I think switching out the looks of a character and selling them to the people as the same than before doesn't work. That's like, replacing an actor of a TV show, for example. If they'd suddenly switch Hugh Laurie with somebody else on House MD, people just wouldn't buy it. Because Hugh Laurie is House, just like Dante is a white-haired pretty-boy.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinions and tastes, and arguing about preferences is kinda pointless.

#57 Edited by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

@Morrow: But with a character like House, he is specifically known for his personality. Hugh Laurie could have some sort of... extre(eeeeee)me makeover, but as long as it's still Hugh Laurie, he'd give the same sort of performance even if he didn't look like Hugh Laurie anymore. The way you're comparing the character of House to Dante really is pretty much like comparing apples & oranges :P

Though I guess if all that Dante really is to you is a ''white-haired pretty boy'', then yeah, I can understand why you'd think he's now gone for good. I just can't help but think that kind of outlook towards his character is rather shallow. =/

#58 Posted by Morrow (1823 posts) -

@Yummylee:

My point was not whether House or Dante are comparable but how the exterior of a character influences the attitude of the audience towards the character. And while Hugh Laurie would still be Hugh Laurie even after a make-over as you explained, an artificial character that is not real doesn't have a real persona. But I guess we can only talk about how much of Dante is left after we played the game and got an impression of his "personality". In the trailer I saw, the punk Dante had an attitude that had nothing in common with the old Dante, therefore my remark of completely switching him out but still selling him as "Dante".

By the way it escapes me why you are even arguing that intensively about my personal opinion about Dante's changes.

#59 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@Morrow

@Yummylee:

My point was not whether House or Dante are comparable but how the exterior of a character influences the attitude of the audience towards the character. And while Hugh Laurie would still be Hugh Laurie even after a make-over as you explained, an artificial character that is not real doesn't have a real persona. But I guess we can only talk about how much of Dante is left after we played the game and got an impression of his "personality". In the trailer I saw, the punk Dante had an attitude that had nothing in common with the old Dante, therefore my remark of completely switching him out but still selling him as "Dante".

By the way it escapes me why you are even arguing that intensively about my personal opinion about Dante's changes.

Fictional characters, whether portrayed by an actor on screen if as an animated creation, are equally capable of displaying personality. Dante has an established personality and history that has no need to be overwritten, but Capcom and Ninja Theory are intent on doing it just because they can, rather than out of any real need.
#60 Edited by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

@Hailinel: What's wrong with trying something new, though? Dante is hardly what you could call a fountain of personality; he has one, but it's incredibly easy to replicate. And the state the series was in, fictionally speaking, was messy. Not a single one of the games was even in chronological order. The natural order of the story goes 3>1>4>2. That's kind of ridiculous.

The whole selling point of the series is to be able to make yourself look pretty awesome while you're pulling off all of these combos and attacks, while also playing as what is maybe the 80s definition of 'cool'. The story and the overarching fiction is just kinda there, for the sake of adding in some context so it doesn't all feel so completely random. Now I also don't dislike Dante or anything, but given how his whole shtick is basically acting overly cocky when faced against large and imposing demons (and also getting stabbed and shot a lot), it's a very easy sort of character to replace. And judging from what little they've shown of the new Dante, he looks like he'll fit in to the persona just fine with his... 'devil may care' attitude.

There's no need for him to be overwritten, because his character is so inconsequential anyway, but I welcome the notion of seeing what someone else can mould with the small selection of traits that make up Dante. Given that Dante will also be lead under the vastly superior writing team at Ninja Theory, he may actually even grow to be a much more likeable character, with more to show for himself besides corny one liners and icky taste in clothing.

#61 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

The new trailer Is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fantastic. Did I mention its fantastic? Fuck. Dante is just oozing the same snarky asshole personality as he used to. And the combat looks fantastic.

#62 Posted by sweetcreamscoops (3 posts) -

I was actually a bit disappointed by this trailer. I didn't like the "Dante the Demon killer" line, the order being like anon (since I hate them), and I hope they tone down the swearing for the final product. But other than that it looked good; the art style is still fantastic, combat looks fun, and I originally didn't like it when Dante wrote "Fuck You" on the clipboard but after remembering that that was the last thing the demon world said to him when he was in the church I thought it was a pretty clever way of mocking Mundus. So all in all a decent trailer, it just didn't make me go crazy like last year's TGS trailer or the Captivate one.

#63 Posted by sweetcreamscoops (3 posts) -
#64 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

The only thing I'm worried about is the combat. I love DMC's timeless combat; I feel like I can go back to DMC4 years after it was released. Ninja Theory's previous two games had EXTREMELY shallow and mediocre combat.

#65 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

The only thing I'm worried about is the combat. I love DMC's timeless combat; I feel like I can go back to DMC4 years after it was released. Ninja Theory's previous two games had EXTREMELY shallow and mediocre combat.

On G4 the guy showing off the game said that Capcom and exactly the main guy behind DMC4 did most of the work on the combat, and Ninja theory mostly worried about the story.
#66 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

Heavenly Sword's combat was awful so that's why I'm a little worried. I loved Enslaved though (for both combat and story telling), so I am cautiously optimistic you could say.

#67 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Totori said:

@xyzygy said:

On G4 the guy showing off the game said that Capcom and exactly the main guy behind DMC4 did most of the work on the combat, and Ninja theory mostly worried about the story.

It's hilarious that Capcom put so much effort into PR letting everyone know that this is a Ninja Theory game when NT isn't even responsible for the main reason people play Devil May Cry in the first place.

#68 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

@Totori said:

@xyzygy said:

That is amazing, good to know. Thank you for enlightening me. I am fully optimistic for this game now! The combat in DMC4 was flawless.

#69 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Totori said:

@xyzygy said:

Well, that is so very good to hear. Thank you for posting this! My concerns are basically non-existent now.

#70 Posted by Nilazz (639 posts) -

Go watch some of the videos of DmC from this E3, looks like Devil May Cry.

#71 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

Absolutely. I watched the video showcasing a boss battle and... well, this is undoubtedly a DMC game. And along with the additional stylistic choices, this is all looking to shape up pretty nicely. Don't much care for the UI, though. Very bland and it doesn't mesh with the eccentric fantasy stuff that permeates the rest of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.