NPD rankings are in, DmC bombs in the US and world-wide

#51 Edited by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

@brighty said:

With DmC being such a critical success and a commercial failure, it really begs the question - is there simply no place for third person hack and slash games in the industry anymore?

Really? It begs the question? Do you even know what that means!?!?!?!?!?!?

http://begthequestion.info/

Does it really? You just blew my mind.

Like this:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1085/whitneyw.gif

(I've always wanted to use this gif)

#52 Edited by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

So selling 750,000 copies (possibly more if digitals aren't counted) and being the 6th best selling game is now considered a flop..? Being part of a large developer must be really fucking depressing if your game has to sell multi-millions to be considered a success.

I remember when CDProject Red were ecstatic that The Witcher sold 500,000 copies. Same with Atlus and Catherine. These colossal sales projections that publishers make to get their stock holders rock hard are kind of disgusting.

#53 Posted by golguin (3842 posts) -

So selling 750,000 copies (possibly more if digitals aren't counted) and being the 6th best selling game is now considered a flop..? Being part of a large developer must be really fucking depressing if your game has to sell multi-millions to be considered a success.

I remember when CDProject Red were ecstatic that The Witcher sold 500,000 copies. Same with Atlus and Catherine. These colossal sales projections that publishers make to get their stock holders rock hard are kind of disgusting.

I believe it's about the money that was put into the game (marketing and making it) and what they got back. Catherine probably didn't take that much money to develop, but it still made money. It's also a fantastic puzzle game with an amazing story despite what some people wrongly think.

#54 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

The weekly "DmC is A FLOP" thread from Brighty I see. No matter how many times you claim you like the game, these threads make it seem otherwise and that you really enjoy seeing it fail.

#55 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Welcome to another episode of irrational videogame hatred!

#56 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

NPD numbers are inaccurate and you shouldn't really be using it as a source to prove that DMC didn't sell well and you didn't actually say what the sales numbers were so ,in essence, you are just mindlessly speculating (or hoping) that DMC sells poorly which i guess is your prerogative, but it seems like a waste of time to spend all this energy hating this game and wanting it to fail.

#57 Posted by Snail (8579 posts) -

I think it's pretty ridiculous how you're getting so stone-written a conclusion from such speculative data, with your main sources being NeoGAF and an NPD chart that makes no mentions of figures - and actually ranks the game among the top 10 most sold in January.

I think calling this game a "commercial failure" without having any hard numbers is just jumping the gun. Does the NPD even take into account digital downloads yet? At this late in the console cycle many people are buying the best version of the game, which is the PC one, via Steam and other digital retailers.

I figure a fair amount of "purists" might have gone for that version too, on the account of the 60 FPS's.

#58 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

A real shame, since the game is great. I prepurchased on steam.

#59 Edited by Grelik (143 posts) -

Mobile site doesn't show the authors of threads, but I needed no such feature to know who made this one. Ohhhh brighty you're adorable :)

#60 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1945 posts) -

Like others have said, give me concrete data and not the site that doesn't take a full picture of the retail and digital space or the site that many of the internet's worst people call their home.

If you have it, then fine but what's your point? If not, then fine but what's your point?

#61 Posted by Aterons (198 posts) -

As far as this kind of games go i never understood how they expected to pull figures above 1 million, even with hack and slash RPG like diablo or torch light the numbers they pulled seemed incredible. The games simply lack any kind of good story that gets you involved, good multiplayer and anything that could make you play the game a 2nd time other than "beating a score" which basically means mashing buttons a bit better. I know it's not far off from what other games are, but most of them have ether story or a strategy or at least an exploration and looting element to them.

DMC is simply, enjoy 16 hours of bad ass music killing demons while progressing trough a cheesy story. You can't argue against that being enjoyable if you have nothing better to do but many people, I fell, could very much argue there are better time/value/quality ratios when it comes to spending 60$.

#62 Edited by GunnerJensen (31 posts) -

Poor Ninja Theory. I understand why their games flop (8 hour campaign with no multiplayer is a tough sell), but they do great work. Maybe they should have got Andy Serkis on DmC.

Also great to see Halo 4 still holding strong.

#63 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@brighty said:

is there simply no place for third person hack and slash games in the industry anymore?

I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to play hack and slash. I just don't think the art-style and world of DMC is very appealing. Come up with an interesting concept and a world you want to play in and you'll have a hit.

Also, I forgot how depressing NPDs are. Just line after line of soccer-mom and dude-bro.

#64 Edited by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

VGChartz numbers. Good source.

It's got the Z so you take it Zeriouzly.

#65 Posted by Maitimo (176 posts) -

Between NPD, UK and Japanese charts, I'd say it's reasonable to conclude DmC has flopped, game sales being front-loaded as they are. We just don't know how badly yet. Probably caused by a combination of factors that'll be written off with "Capcom didn't market it" and, much as when Enslaved bombed, nothing will be learned by any of the parties involved.

I wouldn't take it as indicative of the health of the genre as some have, though. God of War: Ascension and Metal Gear Rising will give a better sense of that.

#66 Posted by jerseyscum (861 posts) -

This is just a major bummer. Fanboys and bad marketing killed a fantastic looking game.

I'll pick up a copy next paycheck.

#67 Edited by Rafaelfc (1313 posts) -

I love DmC but most of the people I talk to seems to want to stay away from this game like the plague, no matter how much I praise it to them.

It seems (to me at least) that most people don't want to play a Devil May Cry title period.

Adding offense to injury Capcom and Ninja Theory managed to alienate the diehard fanbase, so they suddenly have very few people interested in giving it a chance, I can definitely see how this is the slow-seller it turned out to be.

I guess the final word on hack n' slashes will come with the next God of War, and I think that will bomb hard as well.

#68 Posted by Humanity (8805 posts) -

When I saw the thread title I thought "no, surely this isn't another one of these threads by Brighty? What else could he still have to say about this topic?" As my eyeballs nervously crept to the right I simply couldn't believe it. This should be like a weekly member feature: Brighty brings you up to date on how DmC is, unsurprisingly by now, still not selling very well.

#69 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

DmC is fucking awesome.

#70 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4592 posts) -

@branthog said:

@brighty said:

is there simply no place for third person hack and slash games in the industry anymore?

I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to play hack and slash. I just don't think the art-style and world of DMC is very appealing. Come up with an interesting concept and a world you want to play in and you'll have a hit.

I am fucking flabbergasted that you alluded to DmC not having an interesting concept or world. Fucking bamboozled.

#71 Posted by SuliPatchouli (18 posts) -

I really think the only thing that can explain it is the Ninja Theory curse.

They make good to great games that don't appeal to enough people.

#72 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@sulipatchouli said:

In this case they re-made Dante and Vergil for the sake of it and it has bitten them in the ass.

Reboots because why not is one of the worst trends this generation.

#73 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

This makes me very happy.

His hair isn't the issue at all.

#74 Posted by Yummylee (21243 posts) -
@sooty said:
@sulipatchouli said:

In this case they re-made Dante and Vergil for the sake of it and it has bitten them in the ass.

No, they remade Dante and Vergil because Capcom wanted them to. Capcom wanted to change up the franchise; Capcom wanted Ninja Theory to deviate away from the classic DMC style; and the fact that people are evidently still shovelling blame onto Ninja Theory for destroying their franchise ect. is fucking ludicrous.

#75 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Now release it as a 20 dollar XBLA game and sell millions

#76 Edited by Yummylee (21243 posts) -
@humanity said:

When I saw the thread title I thought "no, surely this isn't another one of these threads by Brighty? What else could he still have to say about this topic?" As my eyeballs nervously crept to the right I simply couldn't believe it. This should be like a weekly member feature: Brighty brings you up to date on how DmC is, unsurprisingly by now, still not selling very well.

He could also sign each thread with the tag line ''Just... doing God's work'' for that extra burrrrrrrrrn.

#77 Posted by Sergio (2047 posts) -

Ignoring the faulty data provided, or lack of data to be exact, I heard that DMC4 was terrible. If DmC didn't sell well, could part of the cause, besides fanboy rage, be that a prior bad game stopped people from picking up the next game in the franchise?

#78 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@sooty said:
@sulipatchouli said:

No, they remade Dante and Vergil because Capcom wanted them to. Capcom wanted to change up the franchise; Capcom wanted Ninja Theory to deviate away from the classic DMC style; and the fact that people are evidently still shovelling blame onto Ninja Theory for destroying their franchise ect. is fucking ludicrous.

I don't really care who made the decision. Either side could have made a case for not doing a reboot for the sake of a reboot.

@sergio said:

Ignoring the faulty data provided, or lack of data to be exact, I heard that DMC4 was terrible. If DmC didn't sell well, could part of the cause, besides fanboy rage, be that a prior bad game stopped people from picking up the next game in the franchise?

DMC4 wasn't terrible at all, there was a lot of backtracking but the actual gameplay was grand.

#79 Posted by Andorski (5189 posts) -

I'm guessing when MGR:V flops the amount of coverage of it's failure on this forum won't get covered as much as DmC.

#80 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3741 posts) -

@sooty said:

@yummylee said:
@sooty said:
@sulipatchouli said:

I don't really care who made the decision. Either side could have made a case for not doing a reboot for the sake of a reboot.

Huh?

Capcom wanted to do a reboot. They hired NT to do a reboot.

#81 Posted by brownsfantb (389 posts) -

@brownsfantb said:

There's a reason there aren't a lot of games, especially big budget games, coming out in January and February - nobody's buying games right now. Almost every industry sees lower sales during this time of the year because people already spent a ton of money around the holidays. Releasing a big budget game is suicide because video games, in general, don't have very long tails when it comes to their sales numbers (unless you're Madden or Call of Duty).

mind explaining how Darksiders became A Thing because it released in January when nothing was coming out?

Or how Bioshock was the toast of the internet because it released in August, back when all that came out during the summer was Madden?

Mass Effect 2 came out on January 26th, 2010 about two weeks after Darksiders. But that game only sold five copies.

Darksiders was a cult hit. It didn't sell a lot.

August is different than January. Over time we've seen the "Holiday" season creep out from November to October to September. It was only natural for it to keep creeping into August.

And Mass Effect is completely different from DmC. Mass Effect is big enough to be an event whenever it comes out. Very few games have that kind of brand awareness.

#82 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3741 posts) -

@andorski said:

I'm guessing when MGR:V flops the amount of coverage of it's failure on this forum won't get covered as much as DmC.

Do we have a Brighty for that game?

#83 Edited by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden 3 sold just fine i think. the thing is that NG3 is a god damned travesty and DmC is awesome.

#84 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

I'm not sure why some are invalidating the NPD numbers. They are pretty accurate and they do include Wal-Mart numbers now. Combine that with the data from the UK and Japan and this reboot has been a disaster from a sales perspective. Regardless about how you feel about this reboot, it's safe to say that Capcom probably won't make another DmC. Worst case scenario is dropping the franchise altogether. That's why this whole thing has been a lose-lose scenario. Well, that's not entirely true. At least something came out that was actually fun.

#85 Posted by TheHT (10876 posts) -

Why was this thread reopened?

#86 Edited by Pr1mus (3807 posts) -

@theht said:

It wasn't reopened , it's a new thread. Like i said in a previous comment, i would have never guessed one could get this much forum mileage out of DmC sales figures.

#87 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

There is an interesting conversation to be had here if we could get all the noise from both sides of the fence out of this conversation.

#89 Edited by TheHT (10876 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

@theht said:

It wasn't reopened , it's a new thread. Like i said in a previous comment, i would have never guessed one could get this much forum mileage out of DmC sales figures.

Nah, I was just thinking of this thread. Me being half-asleep when I saw that figured it was this thread.

#90 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@branthog said:

@brighty said:

I am fucking flabbergasted that you alluded to DmC not having an interesting concept or world. Fucking bamboozled.

I feel the same way about God of War. It's not that I dislike the game genre -- I'm just tired of dark and grimy worlds with douche bag characters where everything is essentially designed to get a thirteen year old boy's rocks off. Both games indulge heavily in that sort of "grrr, I have so much teenage angst because nobody understands me and I'm mad at the world and I'm so edgy.. grrrrr grrrr!" thing that it's just really off-putting. And I'm a guy who happily indulges in some really juvenile settings from time to time.

I'm pretty sure Heavenly Sword fits into the hack and slash genre and it was a fantastic game (even though I'd say its setting wasn't very original, either).

#91 Edited by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@darthorange said:

@brighty said:

With DmC being such a critical success and a commercial failure, it really begs the question - is there simply no place for third person hack and slash games in the industry anymore?

Really? It begs the question? Do you even know what that means!?!?!?!?!?!?

http://begthequestion.info/

Does it really? You just blew my mind.

Like this:

(I've always wanted to use this gif)

To be fair, most people misuse that phrase the same way they misuse the word "moot" or "lion's share". It's usually only jagoffs like us who are OCD about stopping and looking up the history of things when we say them and who know what an Oxford comma is and are demanding of its use.

I find simpler stuff far more frustrating. Stuff that people misuse that you don't have to do any research into. You just have to think about the logic of the actual words you are uttering. Like "I could(n't) care less".

#92 Edited by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@branthog: I'm willing to accept "I could/couldn't care less" as interchangeable. I think most turns of phrase are exempt from syntactical logic. If I say someone is "head over heels," you know what I'm implying, and it's not that they are currently upright

#93 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@branthog: I'm willing to accept "I could/couldn't care less" as interchangeable. I think most turns of phrase are exempt from syntactical logic. If I say someone is "head over heels," you know what I'm implying, and it's not that they are currently upright

I dunno. "I could care less" doesn't get a pass from me, because people should be able to stop themselves the first time they say it and think "wait, that doesn't even make sense". The incorrect version of the phrase is not a colloquialism; it's just an incorrect usage of the correct phrase.

The kind of stuff I would give a pass to is the incorrect use of a phrase like "the lion's share", which is supposed to mean all of the thing. That is, a lion takes the whole share, because he's a lion. Instead, people use it to mean "the lion takes the biggest share of the whole". Both make sense, even though the intended meaning can be quite different (but still generally along the same path). You just wouldn't ever really have a reason to stop and think about it, whereas the above phrase should sound as wrong as improper use of "an/a" (which lead to a three hour argument over drinks one night with my fiance, before we ever actually started dating, that lead to us both being stubborn, walking away, and not talking to each other for SIX MONTHS. Hahaha. Stupid nerds.

#94 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

@branthog: I think I'm just very willing to accept changes to language, which a lot of people seem to forget evolved over time. I have no issue with people using "literally" as a form of hyperbole, and will still accept to be "shewn" something by someone.

As a final note, here is an article which looks at the history of "I could care less." Not for the sake of changing your mind, but more out of interest

#95 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@mildmolasses said:

As a final note, here is an article which looks at the history of "I could care less." Not for the sake of changing your mind, but more out of interest

I've heard people say that it's being said sarcastically, but it usually follows them looking caught and confused for a brief moment before making that quick save. Even if it is used sarcastically, then it becomes a pleonasm, because if one cares, it can be easily assumed that they can care less.

At worst, it's flat out wrong, and at best, it's terribly ineffective use of language. I vote nay on giving it a pass, and with two nays against one yay, the panel has spoken; now we just need the mods to start banning users who utter this abomination.

#96 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

This guy, AGAIN!?

#97 Edited by Brighty (251 posts) -

@sergio said:

http://thesilentchief.com/2013/02/16/ni-no-kuni-wrath-of-the-white-witch-dmc-january-sales-numbers-north-america/

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

DMC4 was great, but the back tracking bogged it down. Still, aside from the complaints about Nero it was well received by fans and has the best combat to date in the franchise. Very far from terrible - a two second check on Metacritic could have confirmed that (its only two points lower than DmC). It pays to put in a little research before making false hyperbolic statements, btw.

#98 Edited by Brighty (251 posts) -

Updated the OP, apparently VGChartz were way off with their own numbers and after the NPD came out they revised them. Take note in the future that VGChartz has proven to be unreliable - they were off by almost 200,000 units. I'll be sure to take anything VGChartz says with a grain of salt in the future, this is a huge discrepancy. Apologies all around for the misinformation.

While checking DmC sales figures today I noticed that they are different from what I have in my spreadsheet. My source for sales figures is VGChartz so the only explanation is that they revised them.

Here are the old numbers.

(PS3)..........Week Ending………Week.......Weekly.........Change

..................19th Jan 2013………...1...........362,982..........N/A

..................26th Jan 2013………...2............86,412.........-76.2%

..................2nd Feb 2013………...3............43,266..........-50.0%

(Xbox360)... Week Ending………Week........Weekly........Change

...................19th Jan 2013………...1............183,109.........N/A

.................. 26th Jan 2013………...2.............43,406.......-76.3%

...................2nd Feb 2013………...3.............21,982.......-49.4%

Below are the revised numbers.

(PS3)..........Week Ending………Week.......Weekly.........Change

..................19th Jan 2013………...1...........280,135..........N/A

..................26th Jan 2013………...2............71,896.........-74.3%

..................2nd Feb 2013………...3............35,948........-50.0%

(Xbox360)... Week Ending………Week........Weekly........Change

..................19th Jan 2013………...1............140,869............N/A

................. 26th Jan 2013………...2.............34,490........-75.5%

..................2nd Feb 2013………...3.............17,581........-49.0%

Before the revisions, sales after 3 weeks was 742,129. It is now 580,919.

#99 Edited by golguin (3842 posts) -

@sergio said:

Where did you hear DMC4 was terrible? I can assure you it was not terrible. It simply wasn't better than DMC3 or Bayonetta.

#100 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -

@rpgee said:

So much anger in this forum.

Even if it didn't sell a bunch, which I wouldn't be trusting those stats anyway for multiple reasons, they couldn't have possibly expected it to be a dambuster, could they have? DMC is in some ways beloved by a rather specific portion of people, and is relatively niche. I enjoy DmC a fair amount, but I'm not exactly busting for a new one right now. Besides, as @sooty said:

DMC3 is much better than DmC.

Well, if Capcom initially expected this game to sell 5 million (later reduced to 2 million, then 1.2 million), then surely they must have expected something huge to come out of this thing. Perhaps they temporarily forgot that hack-and-slashes tend to appeal to a niche audience and revised them accordingly.

Also, the revised figures obviously don't paint the game in a better light at all, sales-wise. And while I do agree with everyone that there's a discrepancy in the sales, I don't honestly think it's big enough to not be telling the whole story, with or without digital sales. Keep in mind that Capcom wanted this to be a big ass mainstream hit at one point.

I'd like to note that after its initial strong performance in the top 10 of Steam sellers, it eventually languished into the bottom of the top 50 as of today. And even when it was at the top of the list, I don't think it sold like Skyrim or whatever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.