Rebooted Dante explanation

• 64 results
#51 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Jethuty said:
" @Catolf said:
" @Jethuty said:
Character development is a bad thing if it doesnt tie into the existing character. You cant call it development when its a reboot "
You haven't given it a chance, nor have you seen if it tied to the character or not. And you said Reboot Prequel, so, my facts are straight XD Also, I just think your never going to give this game a chance until the day it comes out and you buy regardless of complaints. "
No, stop thinking im some fangirl. Im not going to buy it.   Not until they get reuben langdon "
That sounds even more fan crazy... your not sold unless you have a certain voice actor?
#52 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -
@Catolf:  In all fairness, that motherfucker was in Power Rangers.
#53 Edited by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

I don't care if the new Dante is modeled after the goddamn project lead or President Obama or whatever.  It's not Dante, pure and simple.  They bring up Bond as a reference point.  However, despite the brutality that Craig shows, there is still that thick layer of suave that a Bond needs to have.  There's just an uncontrolled aggression to Craig's version of it. 

This Dante is a problem because they are trying to stick many of the same personality traits (smart-ass quips, over-the-top machismo, and high-flying badassery) into another package.  In the original Dante model, those things translated well because there was something about the way that character acted in comparison to how he looked that worked together perfectly.  This new Dante with those same traits...is just an emo prick.  He's a douche, and no one wants to play as a douche.  There's a difference between being a bit edgy and/or smarmy...and trying so hard to do so that it's painful to watch unfold. 

There was nothing that impressed me in the trailer, not even the combat.  I don't want to play a half-assed Dante.  I want the full-on super badass demon-hunting asshole that I've had in some way or another for four games.  They can change the combat up to play smarter, the camera work to not be so shitty, and some of the systems in the game like different fighting styles and such (ala DMC3).  However, there's literally no reason to change the character model of an iconic character other than to distance yourself away from the work of a former employee that happened to make what I'm sure will remain to be a vastly superior product in Bayonetta. 

Also, Ninja Theory being on the game worries me as well.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  those guys don't make the most compelling combat mechanics out there, so it's odd to see a game that has always featured some pretty concise and specifically-paced combat handed off to a company that still struggles to make even a basic punch worthwhile.

#54 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@jakob187:

Just wait for the game to come out..

@Elazul said:

" @Catolf: That definitely has been my main concern with Ninja Theory talking the reigns. Ninja Theory are definitely not bad developers, but DMC has a very particular (and to be honest very Japanese) gameplay style that I'm not really sure NT will be able to pull off. basically I have no doubt that the game will at least end up being decent, I'm just a little worried that it won't really end up being Devil May Cry.

@punkxblaze: Wow. Someone reeeeeally needs to get that guy laid. "

Yeah, that is my only worry myself, they make pretty good games but the fast paced combat may be beyond them, but damn if I don't wish them luck. Everyone is watching.

@Elazul

said:

" @Catolf:  In all fairness, that motherfucker was in Power Rangers. "

No, Thats Johnny Yong Bosch (also Vash/Lelouch/Kiba/Nero and the black ranger) This guy is pretty much a no name beside a few DMC roles in being Dante. Okay, not no name, but he only has a few roles. XP

Reuben Langdon
Johnny Yong Bosch

#55 Posted by LiquidPrince (15856 posts) -
@Catolf:  I never said I'm not going to be giving the game a chance... calm down... It's just not a great start. You can't create a new character and just slap the name Dante on him and say here you go it's him.

It's like if tomorrow they make Mario a Blonde man with a goatee, and black trenchcoat... You can't just call that Mario...
#56 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -
@Catolf:  No, Langdon was totally in Power Rangers as well. On closer inspection it seems that they were all stunt roles (according to IMDB at least), but it still counts in my book. Actually, I think I remember reading that the guy who does Virgil's voice was in Power Rangers as well. Kinda weird when you think about it.
#57 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Elazul said:
" @Catolf:  No, Langdon was totally in Power Rangers as well. On closer inspection it seems that they were all stunt roles (according to IMDB at least), but it still counts in my book. Actually, I think I remember reading that the guy who does Virgil's voice was in Power Rangers as well. Kinda weird when you think about it. "
Really? So he was a stunt double but not the actual ranger then? I was about to say I know my rangers and I've never seen him.
#58 Posted by punkxblaze (2961 posts) -
@Elazul said:
" @Catolf:  No, Langdon was totally in Power Rangers as well. On closer inspection it seems that they were all stunt roles (according to IMDB at least), but it still counts in my book. Actually, I think I remember reading that the guy who does Virgil's voice was in Power Rangers as well. Kinda weird when you think about it. "
Stunt roles should count even more than actually having a starring role. It means they get to do all the cool shit.
#59 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
@Jethuty said:
" And by the way, majority wins pal, its called democracy, wether you like it or not i wont ask into. "
What's democracy? Making video games? Debating video games on a web forum? Neither of those are democracy...
#60 Posted by rangerdante (21 posts) -

Hmmm, touchy topic here it seems, well even though no one asked I'll give in my two cents since everyone else is.
I feel that the DMC franchise could use a fresh coat of paint and some screws tightened, it's been around long enough that it's starting to feel clunky and some story-line questions and thoughts come up (How the fuck do they rebuild the city in DMC3? Why'd they install a mother effin' self-destruct button in their main-headquarters in DMC4?). Also they need to work on the controls a bit, love or hate Nero he did have the most useful ability ever, also don't make one of the coolest moves be binded to the back-button/select (Seriously, who does that?). 

Now as to the trailer, I like the monster designs, those are sweet. I like the city design (steamy-future-y). As for the new Dante, I'm not sure, they haven't given too much to go on yet. Though I worry. Hopefully he won't be a "Wha-wha my mom is dead and my brother hates me and my pants don't match my jacket." *cuts self* I've had enough of that type of person in media forms already. Now if it's just a look change and personality itself (bit of a smart-ass) stays the same, I could see it working. What it comes down to is when I'm able to get my hands on the game.

#61 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @jakob187:

@Elazul said:

" @Catolf: That definitely has been my main concern with Ninja Theory talking the reigns. Ninja Theory are definitely not bad developers, but DMC has a very particular (and to be honest very Japanese) gameplay style that I'm not really sure NT will be able to pull off. basically I have no doubt that the game will at least end up being decent, I'm just a little worried that it won't really end up being Devil May Cry.

Yeah, that is my only worry myself, they make pretty good games but the fast paced combat may be beyond them, but damn if I don't wish them luck. Everyone is watching.

@Elazul

said:

No, Thats Johnny Yong Bosch (also Vash/Lelouch/Kiba/Nero and the black ranger) This guy is pretty much a no name beside a few DMC roles in being Dante. Okay, not no name, but he only has a few roles. XP

Reuben Langdon
Johnny Yong Bosch

"
Reueben did all of the mocap for DMC3 and 4, and the VA and the VA for the anime. So yeah, THAT GUY IS DANTE. and the fact that dantes facial features were modelled after him.

Kinda shows your ignorance on this whole subject.
#62 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3702 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" I don't have anything against the new DMC reboot. Well, all besides the fact that Dante's face is mimicked off of the guy who's at the head of the project... "
Maybe it's a nod to Da Vinci modeling the Mona Lisa's facial structure after his own.
#63 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@Jethuty said:
" @Catolf said:
" @jakob187:

@Elazul said:

@Elazul

said:

Reuben Langdon
Johnny Yong Bosch

"
Reueben did all of the mocap for DMC3 and 4, and the VA and the VA for the anime. So yeah, THAT GUY IS DANTE. and the fact that dantes facial features were modelled after him.  Kinda shows your ignorance on this whole subject. "
Here, lemme help you, i thought were were addressing DMC4 and Nero, Nero was and had nothing to do with that man, thus I was corrected and it was about Dante. Because when you say powerRangers, i think Nero, thus the answer.

And, sense your charged up about features and stuff, I'm sure new Dante will be done the same way but with someone else. I did not know about the mocap and did reaseach, untwist your panties, I was mistaken.
#64 Posted by Kazona (3060 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:
" @Kazona: It's natural for awkward prepubescents to overextend themselves when they try to be counterculture.  Honestly if it wasn't for the popularity of Twilight I doubt most of these kids would be in here stomping and tromping around.  Also assuming that the game director had enough clout to make himself Dante out of egotism is an insane assessment, especially for a smaller developer like Ninja Theory.  Deciding to use an existing employee as the basis for modeling a character isn't narcissism, it's pragmatism (see Max Payne).  Why waste time and money paying a model or trying to create a character from scratch when you have someone on payroll that already fits the general vision of the character? As far as Ninja Theory goes, their gameplay may be middling at best but their cutscenes are beautiful and amazingly directed and the environments I've experienced in Enslaved are remarkably cinematic.  If Capcom can lend their guiding hand to help them tighten up their combat, DmC has every chance to become the best game in the series and a new standard for character action games. "
I could not have said it better myself. 

Even though I can understand the initial shock, especially if the trailer is all one has to go by, I wish people would just give this a chance before they jump to conclusions. Hell, if you listen to the Gamespot UK podcast you will know that there is a reasoning behind his completely overhauled look; a story reason.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.