So how exactly was this different from the first 4 games?

• 110 results
#1 Edited by Hunkulese (2721 posts) -

So I'd never played a Devil May Cry game. I heard some good things about the reboot and picked it up during a steam sale. I finally got around to playing it during the last few weeks and I have to say I loved everything about it. I loved it so much I immediately considered buying the HD release of DMC 1-3 and jumping straight into that hole. But then I saw how poorly DmC did and how all the fans hated the game and it was nothing like the previous games. I also saw a rumor that they may act like DmC never happened and just make a DMC 5.

Trying to find out how DmC is different is kind of tough having to weed through all the complaints about the Dante redesign. Aside from Dante is the reboot that drastically different from the first four games? Should I even bother trying to play the old games?

#2 Posted by JasonR86 (9696 posts) -

Oh boy...

#3 Posted by afabs515 (1055 posts) -

For starters, they made DmC much more accessible than the previous 4 games. The game definitely wasn't as tough as the others, and the controls were really smooth and felt great. Also, from what I remember (I played this last year when it first came out), they didn't really have very many locked camera angles, which I was so happy about. They also did a lot more with the level design. I loved how the world would tear itself apart and the writing would appear on the walls/floor - definitely one of the cooler aesthetics last year.

From what I understand, the main complaint people had with it (besides the dumb "THEY RUINED MY DANTE!" complaint) was that the combat system wasn't as deep as the previous games'. I can't personally say one way or the other whether or not that's true, as I'm not too good at character action games, but I found plenty of amazing combos from the new game and old ones on YouTube if you're interested. I wouldn't mind if they went back to the original characters/storylines, but I definitely liked new DmC's gameplay more than the first four games'.

#4 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

So I'd never played a Devil May Cry game. I heard some good things about the reboot and picked it up during a steam sale. I finally got around to playing it during the last few weeks and I have to say I loved everything about it. I loved it so much I immediately considered buying the HD release of DMC 1-3 and jumping straight into that hole. But then I saw how poorly DmC did and how all the fans hated the game and it was nothing like the previous games. I also saw a rumor that they may act like DmC never happened and just make a DMC 5.

Trying to find out how DmC is different is kind of tough having to weed through all the complaints about the Dante redesign. Aside from Dante is the reboot that drastically different from the first four games? Should I even bother trying to play the old games?

I played the older games and the new one and honestly I must say I enjoyed this one a lot more. The level design was so much better in the new Game and yes while the combat was dumbed down a bit the pacing also was much better in my opinion. Same goes for the presentation and I really liked the new cocky dante way more than the guy he became in 3. With part 3 DMC became just ridiculous in terms of story and moves not even shounen animes were as dumb as that.

So yeah If you really enjoyed the new Dante I doubt you will the old Dante since it has outaded leveldesign and gameplay mechanics besides the combat.

#5 Posted by Milkman (16781 posts) -

Besides simplifying the combat system a bit, the overall tone of the game is just a lot more fun. The other games are VERY anime. So, if you're into that kind of thing, you'll probably be fine but I thought the writing, characters and overall style were so much better than the past games.

#6 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -
  • Vastly different art style. A lot more seedy and colourful as opposed to the older games' more gothic look.
  • Think there's pretty much only a single puzzle in the entire game, whereas puzzles where surprisingly prominent in the older ones.
  • No lock-on.
  • No Styles system, although a lot of those abilities were incorporated into Dante's general moveset.

I think a lot of what it comes down to is the combat that really turned people away, like the lack of a lock-on, enemies that restrict you to using a particular weapon rather than allowing you to consistently mix it up however you want, it being significantly easier to score S ranks, and the boss battles, while they look flashy, are mediocre compared to the stuff found in DMC3 & 4. That, and DmC's unlockable weapons pale against the creativity and personality of the stuff you found in the older games.

I say all this as someone that still enjoyed my time with DmC, though, and think it made a lot of improvements pertaining to the aesthetic, soundtrack, story, and Dante in particular was a huge improvement over the nigh-unbearable DMC4 Dante. But I still vastly prefer the core gameplay in DMC3 & 4 overall. There's a sense of impact in DMC4 especially that I found a little lacking in DmC. Playing as Nero is perhaps the most fun I've had across the whole series.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14822 posts) -

@milkman said:

Besides simplifying the combat system a bit, the overall tone of the game is just a lot more fun. The other games are VERY anime. So, if you're into that kind of thing, you'll probably be fine but I thought the writing, characters and overall style were so much better than the past games.

Saying something is "very anime" is a clumsy and dumb way to describe something.

#8 Posted by Danteveli (1184 posts) -

The game was super easy compared to previous ones with not as deep combat and silly characters [while they tried to make it more serious] (not that the original ones were serious or something just this Dante is not even likable). DmC is not a bad game and if you enjoyed it but want a bit more difficult combat that grants more opportunities to do crazy stuff you may want to play the older titles.

#9 Posted by Milkman (16781 posts) -

@milkman said:

Saying something is "very anime" is a clumsy and dumb way to describe something.

Probably. But I'm not sure how else to describe it. "Very Japanese?" That seems worse.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14822 posts) -

@milkman said:

@demoskinos said:

@milkman said:

Probably. But I'm not sure how else to describe it. "Very Japanese?" That seems worse.

The word "melodramatic" pops into my mind. And I'd be apt to agree with you even if that doesn't particularly bother me.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (24707 posts) -

@milkman said:

@demoskinos said:

@milkman said:

The characters are written and presented in a melodramatic, theatrical style. There's nothing inherently "anime" or "Japanese" about that.

#12 Posted by valeo (56 posts) -

I like how people say the character re-design was 'silly' when Dante was one of the silliest franchise characters to begin with.

#13 Posted by crithon (3186 posts) -

jesus where to begin?

You know what's something a lot of people don't mention, DMC reboot uses the whole Tower from Part 2 and somewhat the world from DMC is closer to part 2.

You know, I miss taunts a lot. Part 4 wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, just a serviceable jump into that generation unlocking Dante later was well worth it's price. Part 3 was wonderful, even it's sadistic difficult was refreshing at the time. Just reminded in part 2 I just spammed ebony and Ivory on a boss in a corner just doing pixel damage the entire time for something that felt like 40 minutes. I miss the styles Trickster, Sword Master, gunslinger, quicksilver and Doppleganger and then part 4 had them all on dpad.

The more I think about it, the more I enjoy DMC series over God of War.

#14 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@milkman said:

@demoskinos said:

@milkman said:

The characters are written and presented in a melodramatic, theatrical style. There's nothing inherently "anime" or "Japanese" about that.

But this also counts even more for the new Dante in my opinion. For the old Dante it really was the level of anime in 3 at least. Not because of the story but rather the presentation. and style of these scenes. I see were milkman is coming from.

#15 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1094 posts) -

Well, I'm just gonna start this by saying that I really don't like the reboot, and it's not because of New Dante. (Face it everyone, Dante has always kinda been a stupid character)

The games look similar on their face, but are actually vastly different. I'll keep this short by just stating 3 points. Boss Design, Combat, and Difficulty.

Bosses in DmC are very stylish, over the top and memorable aesthetically. I'll admit that. Although, from a design point of view, they feel gimmicky and out of place in a Devil May Cry game to me (Raptor News boss was literally just jumping through hoops). Or they're trying to put a new look on one-to-one brilliant fights, but just don't do it as well. (Virgil boss is DMC3 > Virgil boss in DmC)

Difficulty was toned WAY down from the originals, which was really disappointing to a character action fanatic like myself, BOO!

Combat, this is the main issue for most rational Devil May Cry fans who don't like the reboot. In the original series, combat was DEEP and your fingers had to do some real gymnastics to score a beautiful S rank! You felt like an absolute badass when you took out a room full of enemies unscathed or got an S rank on your mission. In the reboot, S ranks are given out like free candy. There is also the inclusion of colored enemies, which ruined combat flow without having a lock on system! Edit: I forgot to mention, that Virgil DLC was ruined my that awfully designed bird enemy, UGH.

All this aside, I think it's cool that people like DmC, I think it can serve as a good stepping stone into the genre! I do recommend that HD collection! (SKIP DMC 2)

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (14822 posts) -

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@milkman said:

@demoskinos said:

@milkman said:

But this also counts even more for the new Dante in my opinion. For the old Dante it really was the level of anime in 3 at least. Not because of the story but rather the presentation. and style of these scenes. I see were milkman is coming from.

"anime" is not a descriptor. And even if you could argue that saying something was "anime" was something that exuded characteristics often found in animes its just a clumsy and dumb way to describe something as anyone without the knowledge of anime tropes wouldn't know what you're talking about.

#17 Posted by Hailinel (24707 posts) -

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@milkman said:

@demoskinos said:

@milkman said:

That does nothing to disprove the fact that "anime" by itself is an inadequate descriptor in the context that Milkman is trying to use.

#18 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@demoskinos: I see thanks. Then lets just say it became absolute ridiculous in terms of presentation and character development that there was just no way they could go from there. And I am glad they scaled it back quite a bit with the reboot. Gameplay wise it was still a old style DMC game.

#19 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1094 posts) -

@crithon said:

jesus where to begin?

You know what's something a lot of people don't mention, DMC reboot uses the whole Tower from Part 2 and somewhat the world from DMC is closer to part 2.

You know, I miss taunts a lot. Part 4 wasn't as bad as people made it out to be, just a serviceable jump into that generation unlocking Dante later was well worth it's price. Part 3 was wonderful, even it's sadistic difficult was refreshing at the time. Just reminded in part 2 I just spammed ebony and Ivory on a boss in a corner just doing pixel damage the entire time for something that felt like 40 minutes. I miss the styles Trickster, Sword Master, gunslinger, quicksilver and Doppleganger and then part 4 had them all on dpad.

We don't talk about DMC2......

Dude, there were Demon Tanks....
#20 Posted by HatKing (5943 posts) -

It's less difficult, I guess. But I really don't remember having trouble with the previous games, if I'm being honest. Maybe I was playing them on a lower difficulty? Or maybe I've just gotten soft with time. I think people like to sometimes say "I beat this" when a game is hard for bragging rights more than that actually being a metric of quality. Sometimes difficulty can be an important part of an experience (see Spelunky, Super Meat Boy), but it doesn't inherently mean something is flawed if it doesn't take days or weeks to get good at.

I mean, DmC's combat feels fucking fantastic, and it's handled more interesting than the previous entries. The art design in this game trumps anything else in the series (I think it's kind of a shame it has been overlooked in that department for GOTY). And they actually work to make the character something outside of a two dimensional asshat. The most important thing though is that DmC works better as a cohesive than the previous entries. The first three often felt like action for the sake of action, but often times not really working toward anything in particular. Here's a bunch of dudes in a room to fight, because spiders are cool. There wasn't motivation. DmC is about this shift of this immature character and his realization and acceptance of his inherited responsibilities. This guy who is a total jerk, by the end, is playing the role of a semi-respectable hero. Even better, you can kind of read him as a character. He's not just a cool looking dude who can fight. He has motives, personality, flaws, and development. And you're never really confused about why you're doing what you're doing in the game.

Definitely check out Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3 (go ahead and skip 2, unless you're really curious). They're by no means bad games, but I just think that DmC has taken the ideas and transformed them into something more cohesive. Just don't think they're going to be super similar. The visuals are scaled back (partially a technology thing) and the combat is more straight forward, but demands more of you.

#21 Posted by HatKing (5943 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling: The Devil May Cry series is wildly better than the God of War series. Not even analyzing them on the sum of their parts. Just look at gameplay, Devil May Cry has always been more realized than God of War. God of War trades fucking hard on its ability to wow people with spectacles and high violence. I'd even say DmC is every bit as visually interesting as any of the God of War games, and it doesn't sacrifice its deeper combat system to do so.

But take this with a grain of salt. I've kind of always disliked God of War. I think Kratos is one of the worst characters in gaming to reach mass appeal. It baffles me that he's somehow become an icon.

#22 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1094 posts) -

@hatking: Replied to the wrong guy, I never said any comparison to God of War, I actually don't like the series.

#23 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

@hatking: God of War can be plenty hard if you want it to be; their highest difficulty settings are no joke. There's no denying that the DMC series has more depth, but levying any such complaints against God of War for not being hard enough ring pretty hollow.

Also, for as much as you talk up Dante's arc in DmC, it's pretty much exactly the same as it was in DMC3. Only he's voiced a lot better this time around of course. Still, Dante starts off this showoffy twat, but then very clearly matures as the game goes on thanks to the interactions he has with Lady and Vergil.

#24 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (890 posts) -

The enemies actually fought back instead of standing around waiting to be hit, there was a lock-on button so you could actually target enemies, and Dante was a fun goofball character instead of a generic rebellious punk.

#25 Posted by crithon (3186 posts) -

@crithon said:

jesus where to begin?

Shinobi had a lot of Demon tanks, demon helicoptors.

So does Metal Gear also consider demon tanks if they are running on nanomachines?

#26 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1094 posts) -

@crithon said:

@viciousbearmauling said:

@crithon said:

jesus where to begin?

So does Metal Gear also consider demon tanks if they are running on nanomachines?

Okay okay, demon tanks get a pass but stop trying to defend DMC 2!!!!!!!

#27 Posted by Zella (745 posts) -

As others have said the gameplay is quite different, I actually like DmC's combat a bit more than the originals but that is not a popular opinion. The original games are much harder than DmC, partly due to just stronger and quicker enemies but also because of, in my opinion at least, much worse controls. The combat is also much faster all around as the enemies do not telegraph for nearly as long and Dante reacts much quicker. Some basic stuff that I can think of that is different is:

-DmC has a much higher animation priority than the original games, not to say there are no cancels or anything in DmC but in the originals you could do some crazy shit cancelling in and out of combos

-The original games have a lock on system and are not as focused on crowd control as DmC is

-DmC focuses on juggling enemies and air combat much more heavily than the originals did

-The originals only allow you to carry two of each kind of weapon and switching between them is not as fluid

-The scoring in the originals is fucking brutal compared to DmC as they do not show how you earn points on screen

-DMC 3 and 4 both have the style systems when playing as Dante which are all quite different, Royal Guard brings much deeper defensive game than what DmC has

-The original games have way more puzzles than DmC and while are technically broken into stages they take place in one large world where you often backtrack

-The story to the original games is just as dumb as DmC but way more anime-esque(to the point where they made an anime about it)

-In the first 3, not sure about 4, there are also multiple variations of Devil Trigger which bring their own benefits

Overall I rank the games DMC 3, DmC, DMC 1, DMC 4, DMC 2. If you play them you should play 1 first even though 3 is a prequel as 3 is a much better game and would be difficult to go back to 1 after playing it. DMC 4 is not that bad but doesn't live up to the others while DMC 2 is just terrible in almost every way except for that it helped pave the way for the style system in 3. Yeah the original games are harder but if you can play the higher end difficulties of DmC you should at least be able to play Easy mode on the others.

#28 Posted by Hunter5024 (5667 posts) -

It's written competently.

#29 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (890 posts) -

It's written competently.

lol good one

#30 Edited by Yummylee (21615 posts) -

@zella: DMC4 totally allowed you access to all of your weapons. Well, as Dante of course, given that Nero only had his single revolver and sword. Though Dante also only had three firearms and melee weapons each in 4. Still, it was plenty intuitive to switch between your weapons mid-combo anywhoo, same with 3 even, despite you also only allowed to equip 2 of each, while also most unfortunately of all being restricted to a single Style at that.

#31 Edited by crithon (3186 posts) -

@crithon said:

@viciousbearmauling said:

@crithon said:

jesus where to begin?

Okay okay, demon tanks get a pass but stop trying to defend DMC 2!!!!!!!

I'm not defending it.

When the thread is "what did I miss." The best you can do is list maybe key things in Part 2 outside of it being a slog through a thick swamp of dullness only to end on a jeans ad.

#32 Posted by T0MBraider (33 posts) -

The old devil may cry games are clunky and boring, they aren't worth digging up, unless you can get them at a cheap price. DmC is a great game though, it fixed everything that was wrong with the original games (Devil may Cry fans only hate it because it's a reboot) I am glad you enjoyed it.

#33 Posted by Humanity (9205 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Oh boy...

That's exactly what I thought. As my favorite Steam gift tagline would say "buckle up!"

#34 Edited by Zella (745 posts) -

@yummylee: Forgot about 4 giving access to all of your weapons. I remembered only being able to switch weapons without interrupting the combo was through cancelling in 3, it's been a while though so I could totally be wrong. While it sucks 3 only allows you to use 2 devil arms at a time they have much better variety than those in DmC.

#35 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (890 posts) -

@zella said:

@yummylee: Forgot about 4 giving access to all of your weapons. I remembered only being able to switch weapons without interrupting the combo was through cancelling in 3, it's been a while though so I could totally be wrong. While it sucks 3 only allows you to use 2 devil arms at a time they have much better variety than those in DmC.

It wasn't cancelling, the right trigger cycled between your two equipped weapons and was instantaneous, the same being true of your guns and the left trigger. In 4 you had all three available to you at once but it made switching a bit clunky since you had to double tap to jump from Rebellion to Lucifer, Gilgamesh to Rebellion, or Lucifer to Gilgamesh. With just three weapons it was manageable, but with DMC3's six or so it would be clunky and difficulty to do a combo that involved, say, the first weapon and the fourth weapon. I've honestly never felt limited by my two chosen weapons in DMC3, though it would have been nice to be able to swap out your equipped weapons in the pause menu instead of having to go to Divinity Statues.

#36 Edited by RonGalaxy (3164 posts) -

Dont play 1 or 2… It ain't worth it… (1 doesn't hold up well, has a terrible story, Dante as most people know him is an undefined mess in this game. 2 is just bad. Goes against everything the series is good at)

3 is the best one, by the way. Its where the series came into its own. The story is amazing and it offers a satisfying challenge. Gameplay put other character action games to shame at the time of its release (still does to this day, really) I definitely recommend playing it.

I enjoyed 4 a lot because Nero's arm was an interesting mechanic and I loved the story/setting/art. Lots of people, rightfully, complain about the games backtracking (you play every single level twice, the second time with a different character), but I never minded it.

The reboot is more flexible which makes playing it a joy, but its very forgiving and the challenge is almost non existent, even on the hardest difficulty, but its extremely well made irregardless. The story is good; has a bunch of really great, ridiculous moments

#37 Edited by Fallen189 (5004 posts) -

Dante had black hair

#38 Posted by Guesty_01 (346 posts) -

It's actually good.

#39 Edited by shinjin977 (758 posts) -

We have already been over this about 100 times but here we go again. This game lost the casual audience NOT the core. The pre-order for the game I believe was almost the same as the last games but it went on to sell almost nothing after that. My gf play nothing but DMC/beyonetta pretty much and she didn't even buy DmC. Regardless of weather or not you think the new dante is better or whatever. A lot of the eastern female audience were turned away.

#40 Edited by golguin (3912 posts) -

DmC was made to be easily accessible for the casual audience. It lacked the depth and difficulty that was found in the main DMC games. Depth, skill, and difficulty is usually what people look for when they play a character action game like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, and MGR: Revengeance.

I actually recommend that you play MGR: Revengeance before you hop into DMC3 (the best game from DMC 1-4). Revengeance isn't very complex when it comes to combos, but the parry and dodge system requires a precise response to enemy attacks. It will force you to learn enemy movesets because if you don't you'll get chewed up pretty quickly by normal enemies.

Watching enemies and learning how to counter them is an essential part of a character action game. DmC skips all that by letting you mash your way through passive enemies. They only start to put up a fight on the higher difficulties.

#41 Edited by kagato (920 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Oh boy...

You know...i thought the exact same thing when i read this lol. Anyone wanting to know what old Devil May Cry was like should just go ahead and purchase Bayonetta instead, its everything they learned about making those games but better. Of course if you want a much cooler looking anime version of Dante thats cool too but be aware, the combat mechanics are much more rigid and unforgiving than the reboot. I personally prefer the older games but i have the fortune of playing those a long time ago and some of that may be nostalgia.

#42 Edited by Rebel_Scum (705 posts) -

@milkman

I don't see anything wrong with using "very anime" to describe a type of media.

#43 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (664 posts) -

We have already been over this about 100 times but here we go again. This game lost the casual audience NOT the core. The pre-order for the game I believe was almost the same as the last games but it went on to sell almost nothing after that. My gf play nothing but DMC/beyonetta pretty much and she didn't even buy DmC. Regardless of weather or not you think the new dante is better or whatever. A lot of the eastern female audience were turned away.

What the heck are you talking about? Eastern female audience??

#44 Edited by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Oh boy...

That was my exact thought at reading the title to this thread.

@hunkulese:

Speaking as someone who's only dabbled in the original Devil May Cry, never played DMC2, and played the shit out of DMC3, DmC is a really interesting take on the source material. Like you, I really dug it despite being one of the many fans who had an immediate knee-jerk reaction to the Dante redesign. Most of the differences have been covered by other posts in this thread but if you liked DmC there's no reason you shouldn't like Devil May Cry 3 at least.

#45 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1117 posts) -

Much of it has been said but:

DmC has no teleportation system that made DMC3 & 4 fun.
DmC does not have the royal guard style or the like. Used adeptly, this would make you invincible.
DmC does not have a weapon as crazy as Nevan.
DmC has better weapon switching...but switching weapons does not reset the weapon combo string.
DmC doesn't feature Vergil in Bloody Palace (wtf?).
DmC is all about abusing air juggles...even the devil trigger gives you a free air juggle...bad game design.

I started playing on Nephilim on my first go at the game and I'm breezing through the game. DMC3 would eat me on normal.

#46 Posted by TheHT (11237 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw: DMC3 was not that difficult on normal. And none of those things listed sound terrible.

I understand not liking the direction a sequel goes, but some people get their undies in a bunch real fuckin hard over Devil May Cry (not necessarily you, Trafalgar).

#47 Edited by shinjin977 (758 posts) -

@counterclockwork87: I am talking about the casual female fan base that were put off by the new dante. When the pre-order for a game is the same as the past game but ended end selling only half of the previous entries, it means they have lost the average gamers not the dmc fan base. The dmc fans bitch and moan about it and a lot still bought/played the game, its those fan's friends they have lost.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/25/dmc-devil-may-cry-may-have-failed-to-attract-casual-fans-in-japan/

ps. in case it wasn't clear I am referring to the op saying how DmC did so badly compare to past DMC.

#48 Posted by Arx724 (208 posts) -

@theht said:

@trafalgarlaw: DMC3 was not that difficult on normal.

Just as a note (that you may already be aware of): 3's re-release (Special Edition) had its difficulty lowered overall and added more revive options.

#49 Posted by TheHT (11237 posts) -

@arx724: That's probably what I played then, cause it really wasn't very difficult. The only times I had to really sit up in my chair and focus was with the Vergil fights, which are still a high bar in video games for me.

#50 Posted by hermes (1474 posts) -

There is a feature that has Brad playing through most of DMC 1. I would advice you to check it out to get a feeling of the gameplay.

The original DMC (specially the first two) had more in common with Resident Evil and Onimusha than with more modern character action games. The movement and the amount of puzzles feel right at home with those series. Because of that, its completely possible to like the reboot but not the originals. I would say the 3rd one is the first to hold well under modern standards, and the 4th is pretty good if you can get past the repetition.

Or you could just play Bayonetta, which is the best game the genre has to offer, and by the same guy that made the original Devil May Cry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.