Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

So how exactly was this different from the first 4 games?

• 109 results
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Well it's a lot more juvenile.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I played it for the pretty colours and Ninja Theory's animation. I enjoyed it.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've only played the first two stages of DmC but the one thing I really don't like about it compaired to the older games is it's lack of lock-on. Other than that it's been a solid game.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

DMC was really good...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By Rafaelfc

I didn't play much of the old ones. But I really like DmC, thought the action was great, level design was truly inspired and the cinematic aspect of it was really well done (albeit very cheesy).

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@yummylee said:
    • Vastly different art style. A lot more seedy and colourful as opposed to the older games' more gothic look.
    • Think there's pretty much only a single puzzle in the entire game, whereas puzzles where surprisingly prominent in the older ones.
    • No lock-on.
    • No Styles system, although a lot of those abilities were incorporated into Dante's general moveset.

I think a lot of what it comes down to is the combat that really turned people away, like the lack of a lock-on, enemies that restrict you to using a particular weapon rather than allowing you to consistently mix it up however you want, it being significantly easier to score S ranks, and the boss battles, while they look flashy, are mediocre compared to the stuff found in DMC3 & 4. That, and DmC's unlockable weapons pale against the creativity and personality of the stuff you found in the older games.

I say all this as someone that still enjoyed my time with DmC, though, and think it made a lot of improvements pertaining to the aesthetic, soundtrack, story, and Dante in particular was a huge improvement over the nigh-unbearable DMC4 Dante. But I still vastly prefer the core gameplay in DMC3 & 4 overall. There's a sense of impact in DMC4 especially that I found a little lacking in DmC. Playing as Nero is perhaps the most fun I've had across the whole series.

What was Wrong with Dante in the fourth installment?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#108  Edited By Humanity

@yummylee said:
    • Vastly different art style. A lot more seedy and colourful as opposed to the older games' more gothic look.
    • Think there's pretty much only a single puzzle in the entire game, whereas puzzles where surprisingly prominent in the older ones.
    • No lock-on.
    • No Styles system, although a lot of those abilities were incorporated into Dante's general moveset.

I think a lot of what it comes down to is the combat that really turned people away, like the lack of a lock-on, enemies that restrict you to using a particular weapon rather than allowing you to consistently mix it up however you want, it being significantly easier to score S ranks, and the boss battles, while they look flashy, are mediocre compared to the stuff found in DMC3 & 4. That, and DmC's unlockable weapons pale against the creativity and personality of the stuff you found in the older games.

I say all this as someone that still enjoyed my time with DmC, though, and think it made a lot of improvements pertaining to the aesthetic, soundtrack, story, and Dante in particular was a huge improvement over the nigh-unbearable DMC4 Dante. But I still vastly prefer the core gameplay in DMC3 & 4 overall. There's a sense of impact in DMC4 especially that I found a little lacking in DmC. Playing as Nero is perhaps the most fun I've had across the whole series.

What was Wrong with Dante in the fourth installment?

Don't even ask, slowly start backing away before the thread stirs. If we, as the Giant Bomb community, have learned one thing over the years - it's that whenever you discuss Devil May Cry in relation to the newest DmC reboot, no one wins.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: ...........

Okay.............just wanted to confirm whether i should pick it up or...never mind.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.