Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

Something that a lot of people are overlooking in this.

• 107 results
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#1  Edited By Hailinel

Let's just take a step back from the arguing over the merits or lack thereof of Dante's new look, because I have a much larger concern regarding the upcoming Devil May Cry.  And that concern is:

Why in the seven hells is Capcom entrusting the game to Ninja Theory, of all developers?

I understand that Inafune has this grass-is-greener obsession with western developers, despite it not always paying off.  (See:  Bionic Commando.)  That being said, Ninja Theory has only one released game under their belt in Heavenly Sword.  Their second game, Enslaved, isn't even out yet.  Heavenly Sword was an okay game; I can't be the best judge of its quality over all because I lost interest in it roughly halfway through, but in the time I spent playing it, its over-reliance on Quick Time Events did it no favors.  The combat was decent, if unspectacular.  That being said, there have been far worse freshman efforts from upstart game developers.

But really, is that honestly enough of a track record for Capcom to turn to them and say, "Hey, we want you guys to make the next Devil May Cry" and actually have confidence in their abilities?  This is the same company that shut down Clover Studios for producing a series of high quality titles that sold for shit more due to bad marketing than for anything the studio itself could be blamed.  This is the same company that thought it would be a fantastic idea to create a Dead Rising game for the Wii by trying to shoehorn a Dead Rising-esque game into the Resident Evil 4 engine and hoping people would buy it.  Really, if there's anything that concerns me, it's that they handed the keys to DMC to a developer that's really only known for a single PS3 title and not much else.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Hailinel:

i figured it was because they thought Heavenly Sword was "close enough." 

SCEA and EA in the west who have done it aren't really on they're list of options. 
    Especially considering the choices would be a PS3 exclusive or having to share with EA.
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By schizogony

Wow, I totally forgot there was that really poor Wii port of Dead Rising.  Ha!  

As for the new DMC -- err DmC -- hey, at least you can look forward to extremely realistic facial animations during cut scenes!  Ninja Theory got that stuff right.  

Also, I thought after Dark Void flopped, that Capcom said they're done with Western devs(?)

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Because west is the best?

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @schizogony said:
    " Wow, I totally forgot there was that really poor Wii port of Dead Rising.  Ha!  

As for the new DMC -- err DmC -- hey, at least you can look forward to extremely realistic facial animations during cut scenes!  Ninja Theory got that stuff right.   Also, I thought after Dark Void flopped, that Capcom said they're done with Western devs(?) "
    They are done with new IP in the west.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Yeah, after playing the Enslaved demo I'm very concerned for the well being of DMC. I'll wait to see some actual gameplay before I make any assumptions though.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By schizogony
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " Wow, I totally forgot there was that really poor Wii port of Dead Rising.  Ha!  

As for the new DMC -- err DmC -- hey, at least you can look forward to extremely realistic facial animations during cut scenes!  Ninja Theory got that stuff right.   Also, I thought after Dark Void flopped, that Capcom said they're done with Western devs(?) "
    They are done with new IP in the west. "
    Ahhh, I see.  Well, after all their westernizations of current IPs flop, hopefully they'll go back to just, you know, making games themselves.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By luce

I played Heavenly Sword and it was not bad. I don't see why people are freaking out about the gameplay (especially since we haven't seen any) .

What I'm concerned about is the art direction and character design because from what I saw of the teaser, It isn't the least bit original or "cool"

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @schizogony: Or at least get the right people.  DR2 seems like it'll do well.
    Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Hey man, Bionic Commando was TIGHT! 

But yeah, I like to assume that Capcom is involved in the making of the game.  I doubt they just handed it off and let Ninja Theory run wild.  If Dead Rising 2 is any indication, I think Capcom has figured out how to coach other devs into making the games they want.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By schizogony
    @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @schizogony: Or at least get the right people.  DR2 seems like it'll do well. "

Yeah, Blue Castle stuck closely to the formula of the original Dead Rising, something we must hope Ninja Theory does.  I don't want to see anymore Metroid Other M's happening.  Too much liberty taken by Team Ninja.  

EDIT: Though I will miss the camera in DR. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @schizogony said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @schizogony: Or at least get the right people.  DR2 seems like it'll do well. "
    Yeah, Blue Castle stuck closely to the formula of the original Dead Rising, something we must hope Ninja Theory does.  I don't want to see anymore Metroid Other M's happening.  Too much liberty taken by Team Ninja.  "
    Actually, Other M was closely monitored by Nintendo and important aspects of the gameplay had to get their sign-off.  Also, for those that still aren't aware, Team Ninja had nothing to do with the game's story.

So no, they didn't let Team Ninja run wild with it.

Back on topic, yeah, Dead Rising 2 seems like it will do well, but the developer has also stuck very close to the blueprint that the original game set out.  Their goal wasn't to reboot the series, whether a reboot was really necessary or not.  They were tasked with making a direct sequel, and in doing so, they seem to have remained true to many aspects of the original game's design.  (Though I hope to god that there isn't an equivalent to Otis in it.)
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

I assume it's the same with Nintendo giving Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero, at least, to other developers last generation. The franchise was stale and what better way to rejuvenate it by giving it to a different developer, particularly one in the West and so with different sensibilites. It may not have worked for Bionic Commando but do you remember the marketing for that game, because I sure as shit don't. Devil May Cry already has the inbuilt fanbase so it's easier to take a risk with it and I can imagine them actually spending something on letting people know this game is out.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Simple: CAPCOM is run by a team of backward brained monkeys.

schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By schizogony
    @Hailinel said:

" @schizogony said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:
    Yeah, Blue Castle stuck closely to the formula of the original Dead Rising, something we must hope Ninja Theory does.  I don't want to see anymore Metroid Other M's happening.  Too much liberty taken by Team Ninja.  "
    Actually, Other M was closely monitored by Nintendo and important aspects of the gameplay had to get their sign-off.  Also, for those that still aren't aware, Team Ninja had nothing to do with the game's story.  So no, they didn't let Team Ninja run wild with it.  Back on topic, yeah, Dead Rising 2 seems like it will do well, but the developer has also stuck very close to the blueprint that the original game set out.  Their goal wasn't to reboot the series, whether a reboot was really necessary or not.  They were tasked with making a direct sequel, and in doing so, they seem to have remained true to many aspects of the original game's design.  (Though I hope to god that there isn't an equivalent to Otis in it.) "
    I'm not talking about Other M's story.  I don't give a crap about Metroid lore.  I'm talking about what Team Ninja did to ruin the gameplay.  The game is utter trash BECAUSE they let Team Ninja run wild with it!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel
    @schizogony said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    Actually, Other M was closely monitored by Nintendo and important aspects of the gameplay had to get their sign-off.  Also, for those that still aren't aware, Team Ninja had nothing to do with the game's story.  So no, they didn't let Team Ninja run wild with it.  Back on topic, yeah, Dead Rising 2 seems like it will do well, but the developer has also stuck very close to the blueprint that the original game set out.  Their goal wasn't to reboot the series, whether a reboot was really necessary or not.  They were tasked with making a direct sequel, and in doing so, they seem to have remained true to many aspects of the original game's design.  (Though I hope to god that there isn't an equivalent to Otis in it.) "
    I'm not talking about Other M's story.  I don't give a crap about Metroid lore.  I'm talking about what Team Ninja did to ruin the gameplay.  The game is utter trash. "
    As I said before, the gameplay was also monitored by Nintendo and had to be signed off on.

Also, I think the game is awesome.  Screw the haters.
    Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine
    @HandsomeDead: 

Once again, Bionic Commando was a great revival of the series.  I know you were talking about sales, but that game did a great job of evoking what I liked about the original. 

But about Nintendo, you are totally right.  They have been handing the reigns to a lot of their biggest series for a while now, and the results have been mixed.  F-Zero GX was easily one of the best racers I've ever played, while Star Fox Assault wasn't even that good at doing what the games before it did while also adding tons of junk.  I wasn't a huge fan of Other M, but I gotta give them credit for trying to mix it up, which is probably what Devil May Cry needs at this point.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Hailinel said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @schizogony said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    I'm not talking about Other M's story.  I don't give a crap about Metroid lore.  I'm talking about what Team Ninja did to ruin the gameplay.  The game is utter trash. "
    As I said before, the gameplay was also monitored by Nintendo and had to be signed off on.  Also, I think the game is awesome.  Screw the haters. "
    Which proves that this was a divisive game.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Atomic_Tangerine: Don't get me wrong, I loved Bionic Commando. Admittedly, Nathan Spencer was the worst voiced protagonist in video games until Other M Samus but other than that, everything about that game was enjoyable and you could see that it had been made by people who enjoyed the first game. It's just a shame that there won't be another.
    tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tallTuck94

enslaved looks great tbh and i have confidence in the fact that capcom wouldn't let any western developer crap all over one of their best franchises, they must know something we don't

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By Icemael

The new developer is definitely my main concern. 

Things a Devil May Cry should have: 

1. Responsive, razor-sharp controls.
    2. Smooth framerate.
    3. Depth.

Things Ninja Theory's games don't have: 
    2. Smooth framerate.
    3. Depth.
    Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Raven10

I agree. Ninja Theory's strengths are in art and story. Their weakness is in gameplay. So what Dante looks different? Heavenly Sword was beautiful, the demo of Enslaved was beautiful, I have no doubt that that the art in DMC will be fine. The gameplay is what worries me. I wasn't a fan of Heavenly Sword from a gameplay perspective. Just wasn't that enjoyable to me. Enslaved didn't make a good first impression, but after playing the demo a couple times it has kind of grown on me. I want to play the full game before I judge it and make any claims about DMC.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel
    @Raven10 said:
    " I agree. Ninja Theory's strengths are in art and story. Their weakness is in gameplay. So what Dante looks different? Heavenly Sword was beautiful, the demo of Enslaved was beautiful, I have no doubt that that the art in DMC will be fine. The gameplay is what worries me. I wasn't a fan of Heavenly Sword from a gameplay perspective. Just wasn't that enjoyable to me. Enslaved didn't make a good first impression, but after playing the demo a couple times it has kind of grown on me. I want to play the full game before I judge it and make any claims about DMC. "
    I have yet to play the demo, but the Quick Look for Enslaved didn't do much to sell me on the game.  It's certainly a very different game from Heavenly Sword, but at this point, it's hard to say what the full game is like, and I'm afraid of the possibility that players will be forced to constantly babysit their AI companion throughout the game.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Icemael said:
    " The new developer is definitely my main concern. 

2. Smooth framerate.
    3. Depth.
    "
    What depth did the previous game have?
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By Catolf
    @HandsomeDead said:

" @Icemael said:

2. Smooth framerate.
    3. Depth.
    "
    What depth did the previous game have? "
    Nero wasn't too bad and the story was fine (not that many care about a story in a DMC game. By fine I mean.. I understood, didn't really care, let me beat on some people.) ....okay not much deph..XD.. kinda 'save the 'princess' ' deal..XP
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

I would say yes, the bigger problem is that Ninja Theory is working on the game at all. And if they just used the same Dante, that's what people would be talking about. 

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thehexeditor

Litmus test for DmC: If Dante eats a pizza in a cutscene, it will be good.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Raven10 said:
    " I agree. Ninja Theory's strengths are in art and story. Their weakness is in gameplay. So what Dante looks different? Heavenly Sword was beautiful, the demo of Enslaved was beautiful, I have no doubt that that the art in DMC will be fine. The gameplay is what worries me. I wasn't a fan of Heavenly Sword from a gameplay perspective. Just wasn't that enjoyable to me. Enslaved didn't make a good first impression, but after playing the demo a couple times it has kind of grown on me. I want to play the full game before I judge it and make any claims about DMC. "
    I have yet to play the demo, but the Quick Look for Enslaved didn't do much to sell me on the game.  It's certainly a very different game from Heavenly Sword, but at this point, it's hard to say what the full game is like, and I'm afraid of the possibility that players will be forced to constantly babysit their AI companion throughout the game. "
    As opposed to Samus having her hands tied behind her back because the shiny mens say so?  It's funny how you openly support Other Muppet but attack this game without having played it. Ugh.
    Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Raven10
    @Hailinel:  Well the demo is the intro level and you don't have Trip with you at that point. I'll admit, the idea of a whole game being an escort mission seems like a bad idea at first, but then I remembered Ico. Whole thing is an escort mission and it was one of the best games ever. As long as Trip doesn't get herself killed out of stupidity, I have no issue with working with an AI companion. Interesting that this is the first of three games published by Namco Bandai with this theme, the next being Majin and the final being Knight's Contract. This type of game entirely depends on the quality of the ally AI. If it sucks then the game will suck. If it's great then the game could be great. 

One other thing. The 360 version is visually inferior to the PS3 version and that was the version played on the Quick Look. So if one of the things you didn't like was the visuals I'd recommend taking a look at the PS3 version.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho

Ico wasn't good because of the escort. It was good despite the escort. Your companion was a helpless retard. That's your goto example of a good escort game? God help us.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Raven10 said:
    I have yet to play the demo, but the Quick Look for Enslaved didn't do much to sell me on the game.  It's certainly a very different game from Heavenly Sword, but at this point, it's hard to say what the full game is like, and I'm afraid of the possibility that players will be forced to constantly babysit their AI companion throughout the game. "
    As opposed to Samus having her hands tied behind her back because the shiny mens say so?  It's funny how you openly support Other Muppet but attack this game without having played it. Ugh. "
    I merely said that I'm afraid of the possibility.  When have escort missions ever been entertaining?  Your comparison doesn't even work.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hailinel said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Raven10 said:
    As opposed to Samus having her hands tied behind her back because the shiny mens say so?  It's funny how you openly support Other Muppet but attack this game without having played it. Ugh. "
    I merely said that I'm afraid of the possibility.  When have escort missions ever been entertaining?  Your comparison doesn't even work. "
    This game = DMC; the one you're whole OP is attacking, not Enslaved : Journey to the West.  My comparison works fine if manage to keep up or stop pretending to be dumb.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Raven10 said:
    I merely said that I'm afraid of the possibility.  When have escort missions ever been entertaining?  Your comparison doesn't even work. "
    This game = DMC; the one you're whole OP is attacking, not Enslaved : Journey to the West.  My comparison works fine if manage to keep up or stop pretending to be dumb. "
    Then perhaps you shouldn't have responded to a comment in which I was talking about Enslaved.  It tends to help if you respond to a comment that's relevant to the point you're making.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Catolf said:
    " @HandsomeDead said:

" @Icemael said:

2. Smooth framerate.
    3. Depth.
    "
    Nero wasn't too bad and the story was fine (not that many care about a story in a DMC game. By fine I mean.. I understood, didn't really care, let me beat on some people.) ....okay not much deph..XD.. kinda 'save the 'princess' ' deal..XP "
    Probably depth in it's combat system.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hailinel said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Raven10 said:
    This game = DMC; the one you're whole OP is attacking, not Enslaved : Journey to the West.  My comparison works fine if manage to keep up or stop pretending to be dumb. "
    Then perhaps you shouldn't have responded to a comment in which I was talking about Enslaved.  It tends to help if you respond to a comment that's relevant to the point you're making. "
    You mean, perhaps I shouldn't have given you an excuse to pretend to be dumb?  Oh OK.  Sorry.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hailinel
    @SeriouslyNow:   My, aren't we snippy today.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By wefwefasdf

I would have to agree. Especially after watching the QL of Enslaved...

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hailinel said:
    " @SeriouslyNow:   My, aren't we snippy today. "
    Not at all, I'm just pointing out that you rabidly defend Other M, a game which has been released and has valid criticisms which you make excuses for, while openly attacking this game, which hasn't been released using criticisms which are irrational and smack of rabid fanboy complacency.  Irony defined. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hailinel
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Not at all, I'm just pointing out that you rabidly defend Other M, a game which has been released and has valid criticisms which you make excuses for, while openly attacking this game, which hasn't been released using criticisms which are irrational and smack of rabid fanboy complacency.  Irony defined.  "
    Uh, no.  I'm pointing out that the main concern of Devil May Cry shouldn't be Dante's look, but that the keys to DMC were handed over to a development studio with one game released and one that's still a month or so from release.  That is not a long track record, and certainly nothing that proves Ninja Theory's ability to develop a good Devil May Cry game.  If I went the rabid fanboy route, I'd be right there with the others screeching like a banshee about how Dante looks like a Twlight vampire on Ecstasy after a Clash concert, or something.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @Hailinel said:

Not at all, I'm just pointing out that you rabidly defend Other M, a game which has been released and has valid criticisms which you make excuses for, while openly attacking this game, which hasn't been released using criticisms which are irrational and smack of rabid fanboy complacency.  Irony defined.  "
    Difference is Team Ninja has proven they could do games before Other M.  He is asking why did Capcom trust a company who hasn't done much and proven their worth in the gaming industry.  1/3 of the games they are working on has not come out and the number is literally 1 out of 3 games.  The first game that they released was generally seen as middling and he is wondering why they passed the reigns to one of their big franchises to this studio. 

EDIT:  Sorry 2/4 and the 2 games that have come out got middle of the road reviews.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hailinel
    @SethPhotopoulos:   You explained it more concisely than I.  Thank you.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Hailinel: Your welcome.  Now I have to escape the forums to work on papers.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Hailinel said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Uh, no.  I'm pointing out that the main concern of Devil May Cry shouldn't be Dante's look, but that the keys to DMC were handed over to a development studio with one game released and one that's still a month or so from release.  That is not a long track record, and certainly nothing that proves Ninja Theory's ability to develop a good Devil May Cry game.  If I went the rabid fanboy route, I'd be right there with the others screeching like a banshee about how Dante looks like a Twlight vampire on Ecstasy after a Clash concert, or something. "
    Isn't the point to review games once they're made instead of postulating on what may be?  Team Ninja are an award winning Japanese studio and they managed to mangle Metroid quite furiously, all excuses regardless.  Your defense of one game precludes your right to complain about another, especially when the issues you raise are not based in fact, but rather are just a method to voice your displeasure based on a concept of protectiveness which you obviously do not apply across the board.  It seems in your view it's OK for Team Ninja to fuck up on Metroid Other M because it wasn't their fault but rather Nintendo's or the other dudes (uhuh) but it's not OK for Capcom to try something new with DMC with a studio whose performance is yet to be conclusively proved one way or another.  Please, I want you to rationally explain the disconnect.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By huntad
    @Hailinel:  Good point, I thought heavenly sword was pretty average as well. I don't know though, maybe they can add some cool concepts to the franchise. DMC4 wasn't exactly great...well I guess I just didn't like it. Hoping for the best..
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Uh, no.  I'm pointing out that the main concern of Devil May Cry shouldn't be Dante's look, but that the keys to DMC were handed over to a development studio with one game released and one that's still a month or so from release.  That is not a long track record, and certainly nothing that proves Ninja Theory's ability to develop a good Devil May Cry game.  If I went the rabid fanboy route, I'd be right there with the others screeching like a banshee about how Dante looks like a Twlight vampire on Ecstasy after a Clash concert, or something. "
    Isn't the point to review games once they're made instead of postulating on what may be?  Team Ninja are an award winning Japanese studio and they managed to mangle Metroid quite furiously, all excuses regardless.  Your defense of one game precludes your right to complain about another, especially when the issues you raise are not based in fact, but rather are just a method to voice your displeasure based on a concept of protectiveness which you obviously do not apply across the board.  It seems in your view it's OK for Team Ninja to fuck up on Metroid Other M because it wasn't their fault but rather Nintendo's or the other dudes (uhuh) but it's not OK for Capcom to try something new with DMC with a studio whose performance is yet to be conclusively proved one way or another.  Please, I want you to rationally explain the disconnect. "
    He's not saying it's not ok.  He's asking what the thought process of giving a big franchise to a small company who made games that were generally seen as middling as well as not being financial successes.  This game could be a terrible game that would only come from the demons of Hell or it could be the Citizen Kane of video games but how is anyone to know?  Pre-release you can see why Nintendo would do what they did with Team Ninja.  They have made a lot of games that made money and thought that they could be the ones to help out with making a fresh new game to a long series that needed to be reborn.  Ninja Theory doesn't have much to offer in terms of financial and critical success.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#46  Edited By Icemael
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " @Icemael said:

2. Smooth framerate.
    3. Depth.
    "
    Watch this:

And that's Nero. Dante has three times as many weapons and four different fighting styles.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By vidiot
    @Icemael said:

" @HandsomeDead said:

" @Icemael said:

2. Smooth framerate.
    3. Depth.
    "
    Watch this:
      And that's Nero. Dante has three times as many weapons and four different fighting styles. "
    I think the confusion was with depth of story, versus depth of combat? Devil May Cry can be a a highly technical game regarding combat mechanics, and the observation is quite correct: I don't recall Heavenly Sword or Enslaved being remotely close.

While I'm more concerned over a poorly interpreted design concept to what Dante is (watching the Ninja Theory video's on the defensive and interviews the last few days has been most displeasing.) Hailinel brings up a great point: What the hell has Ninja Theory done to qualify for such a task? Now to be fair, it's not like Ninja Theory is the only company to be dumped an IP this publicly and everyone is confused over "why them?!" Looking back at previous works the developer has done though, gives a good example with how their future work on the IP will be. Whether it be Bethesda doing Fallout, or Team Ninja doing Metroid, it's not unreasonable to get an idea or concept over what this game might be like for better or worse.

I'm hoping to be wrong on so much about this new...thing...that's being passed as Devil May Cry.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ryanwho

Ninja Theory is qualified to make a God of War iphone game.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By apathylad

I have the same concerns, mostly because the combat in Heavenly Sword never looked all that appealing. Plus, with all the creepy photoshops online mocking the game, I can't unsee this! 

No Caption Provided
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By C2C

Heavenly Sword impressed me on an aesthetic level, but I found everything else lacking including gameplay.  DMC as a series always got me hooked with the tight combo-centric action gameplay. 

Ninja Theory has yet to prove that they can pull off the gameplay needed for me to even give the new DMC the time of day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.