Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

The Next Devil May Cry had better rock, baby!

• 60 results
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

Edited By JTB123

Those of you who get my amazing pun above are no doubt familiar with the Devil May Cry series in one way or another. The reason I’m writing this article is to share my thoughts on the upcoming entry in the series and the legacy the previous games have left behind. Devil May Cry, like most Capcom series, has its ups and downs, but for the first time ever, I am dreading the release of the upcoming entry in the series. From what that reveal trailer showed, as well the developer’s attitude combined with some questionable actions by Capcom, the fate of DMC is not looking good at all.

Right, first thing I want to talk about is the history of DMC. As far I’m concerned, the original DMC was the game that gave birth to modern 3D action gaming. There was simply nothing like it when it launched way back in 2001 and it’s amazing that the game began as the next Resident Evil. The original Devil May Cry is one of the few games that literally changed the medium. Onimusha dipped its foot in the water, but it was the original DMC that took it to the next level. The game was very well received and the expectations for the sequel were immensely high. Now, DMC2 was in every way possible, a legitimate disappointment as a sequel to the original. Everything about it was a step backwards from the original and when a new idea reared its head, it was over shadowed by the mistakes that had been made. Some of the core ideas made their way into DMC3, but they were completely re-visualised and taken to a different level.

DMC3 would be subject to expectations too, but information as to the core mechanics of the game was not plentiful up until its release. It was clear that the dual character approach had been done away with, the level design looked way more in touch with that of the original and the combat seemed to be a similar case. DMC3 was both completely different and exactly the same to the original. The quality of the level design, enemies, weapons and the way all of it fit together was a huge improvement over DMC2. However, this game was widely scrutinised for its ruthless level of difficulty and made it so it couldn’t be enjoyed by everyone. Which is a shame as DMC3 brought the franchise back to where it should be. So once again, attention shifted to the next DMC game, could it retain everything that made DMC3 great and not be excruciatingly difficult. Short answer would be no, the inclusion of a new protagonist and further change of the gameplay mechanics caused a divide among fans. Rightfully so in a lot of ways, mastering DMC3 was an immense challenge, and those that did had a right to feel betrayed by the decisions made in DMC4.

DMC4 simply made the most money out of any DMC game before it, but again, wasn’t considered to be a completely successful sequel by fans, due largely in part to the inclusion of a new main character and Dante not being the focus. Which once again, brought about the anticipation for the next DMC game, could Capcom manage to successfully combine all that is write with DMC1, 2 and 4 and create the perfect DMC game? Or as I would put it, the sequel that the original so rightfully deserves.

So let’s look at what we know about the upcoming DMC title. It’s being developed by Ninja Theory, will most likely run on the Unreal Engine and is another prequel. On paper, that doesn’t sound good, throw in the fact that Capcom (from what I know) are not doing as well as they should be, they intend to market this game to a new audience and are aiming for double the sales of DMC4. Then there was that trailer... I’m not going to get started on that but I’ll just say it has me worried. The DMC fan base has stuck with the series throughout its missteps and it seems very cold for Capcom to chose this new direction and seemingly abandon them. Especially when you consider that all the ingredients for the perfect DMC game already exist in the games they’ve already made, they just need to combine them correctly.

For the record I will say that I think this new DMC game will be a disappointment to the fans. It might make money, get rave reviews and all that jazz. But DMC fans will be let down by it, how can they not be. All information thus far leads to the conclusion that they have no intention of preserving the core aspect of the DMC games, its gameplay. That is what has kept me playing DMC for the past ten years. I do believe Capcom are making a mistake with this game, they are taking drastic action when they really don’t need to. DMC is not a franchise that needs rebooting, it simply needs revising. A move like this really suggests desperation on Capcom’s part and if they aren’t careful, they could very well end up killing one of the greatest game franchises to come along in the past decade.

To get technical for a second, the Unreal Engine is simply not a good choice for an action game. Now before all of you put on your Arkham Asylum hats and yell at me, hear me out. DMC is known for its over the top and insane combo gameplay. It has a level of depth few action games have, a level that doesn’t present itself right away, it has to be discovered. Those that do discover it and learn it reap the rewards. Also, the Unreal Engine is not known for its reliability, something that is absolutely essential in an action game, especially DMC. And lastly, I am not ragging on Ninja Theory at all here, but their track record for action games is not great when considering the action they are handling here. The action is the only thing keeping DMC alive at this point, and if that goes, there will simply be nothing left to salvage.

As always is the case with DMC series, the next game will carry a lot of expectations. However, there are so many unnecessary uncertainties when looking at this game. They are swapping developers, and the one they have chosen is not the best to replicate the DMC formula, they are swapping engines, when they already have a polished and better engine to use and more importantly they are changing something that nobody asked to be changed, the gameplay. I can only hope that this game is the biggest surprise in gaming history, otherwise I cannot see the DMC name recovering again.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JTB123

Those of you who get my amazing pun above are no doubt familiar with the Devil May Cry series in one way or another. The reason I’m writing this article is to share my thoughts on the upcoming entry in the series and the legacy the previous games have left behind. Devil May Cry, like most Capcom series, has its ups and downs, but for the first time ever, I am dreading the release of the upcoming entry in the series. From what that reveal trailer showed, as well the developer’s attitude combined with some questionable actions by Capcom, the fate of DMC is not looking good at all.

Right, first thing I want to talk about is the history of DMC. As far I’m concerned, the original DMC was the game that gave birth to modern 3D action gaming. There was simply nothing like it when it launched way back in 2001 and it’s amazing that the game began as the next Resident Evil. The original Devil May Cry is one of the few games that literally changed the medium. Onimusha dipped its foot in the water, but it was the original DMC that took it to the next level. The game was very well received and the expectations for the sequel were immensely high. Now, DMC2 was in every way possible, a legitimate disappointment as a sequel to the original. Everything about it was a step backwards from the original and when a new idea reared its head, it was over shadowed by the mistakes that had been made. Some of the core ideas made their way into DMC3, but they were completely re-visualised and taken to a different level.

DMC3 would be subject to expectations too, but information as to the core mechanics of the game was not plentiful up until its release. It was clear that the dual character approach had been done away with, the level design looked way more in touch with that of the original and the combat seemed to be a similar case. DMC3 was both completely different and exactly the same to the original. The quality of the level design, enemies, weapons and the way all of it fit together was a huge improvement over DMC2. However, this game was widely scrutinised for its ruthless level of difficulty and made it so it couldn’t be enjoyed by everyone. Which is a shame as DMC3 brought the franchise back to where it should be. So once again, attention shifted to the next DMC game, could it retain everything that made DMC3 great and not be excruciatingly difficult. Short answer would be no, the inclusion of a new protagonist and further change of the gameplay mechanics caused a divide among fans. Rightfully so in a lot of ways, mastering DMC3 was an immense challenge, and those that did had a right to feel betrayed by the decisions made in DMC4.

DMC4 simply made the most money out of any DMC game before it, but again, wasn’t considered to be a completely successful sequel by fans, due largely in part to the inclusion of a new main character and Dante not being the focus. Which once again, brought about the anticipation for the next DMC game, could Capcom manage to successfully combine all that is write with DMC1, 2 and 4 and create the perfect DMC game? Or as I would put it, the sequel that the original so rightfully deserves.

So let’s look at what we know about the upcoming DMC title. It’s being developed by Ninja Theory, will most likely run on the Unreal Engine and is another prequel. On paper, that doesn’t sound good, throw in the fact that Capcom (from what I know) are not doing as well as they should be, they intend to market this game to a new audience and are aiming for double the sales of DMC4. Then there was that trailer... I’m not going to get started on that but I’ll just say it has me worried. The DMC fan base has stuck with the series throughout its missteps and it seems very cold for Capcom to chose this new direction and seemingly abandon them. Especially when you consider that all the ingredients for the perfect DMC game already exist in the games they’ve already made, they just need to combine them correctly.

For the record I will say that I think this new DMC game will be a disappointment to the fans. It might make money, get rave reviews and all that jazz. But DMC fans will be let down by it, how can they not be. All information thus far leads to the conclusion that they have no intention of preserving the core aspect of the DMC games, its gameplay. That is what has kept me playing DMC for the past ten years. I do believe Capcom are making a mistake with this game, they are taking drastic action when they really don’t need to. DMC is not a franchise that needs rebooting, it simply needs revising. A move like this really suggests desperation on Capcom’s part and if they aren’t careful, they could very well end up killing one of the greatest game franchises to come along in the past decade.

To get technical for a second, the Unreal Engine is simply not a good choice for an action game. Now before all of you put on your Arkham Asylum hats and yell at me, hear me out. DMC is known for its over the top and insane combo gameplay. It has a level of depth few action games have, a level that doesn’t present itself right away, it has to be discovered. Those that do discover it and learn it reap the rewards. Also, the Unreal Engine is not known for its reliability, something that is absolutely essential in an action game, especially DMC. And lastly, I am not ragging on Ninja Theory at all here, but their track record for action games is not great when considering the action they are handling here. The action is the only thing keeping DMC alive at this point, and if that goes, there will simply be nothing left to salvage.

As always is the case with DMC series, the next game will carry a lot of expectations. However, there are so many unnecessary uncertainties when looking at this game. They are swapping developers, and the one they have chosen is not the best to replicate the DMC formula, they are swapping engines, when they already have a polished and better engine to use and more importantly they are changing something that nobody asked to be changed, the gameplay. I can only hope that this game is the biggest surprise in gaming history, otherwise I cannot see the DMC name recovering again.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kingzetta

Enslaved was pretty great, so I have confidence in DMC

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Venatio
    @kingzetta said:
    " Enslaved was pretty great, so I have confidence in DMC "
    ^^This, I'm really enjoying Enslaved right now so I'm interested in DMC for the first time ever
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JTB123

From what I have heard, the gameplay is not what is praised in Enslaved though, I wasn't impressed with what I played.

It's just my opinion (obviously) but I really don't think DMC will retain the gameplay of its predecessors.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JTB123
    @Venatio said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " Enslaved was pretty great, so I have confidence in DMC "
    ^^This, I'm really enjoying Enslaved right now so I'm interested in DMC for the first time ever "
    That's a good thing, but my point is here that fans of the currently existing DMC games are going to be let down by the upcoming DMC game. 

Make no mistake I hope I'm 100% wrong, I don't want to have to wait another 4 or 5 years for a new DMC game I enjoy.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kingzetta
    @JTB123 said:

" From what I have heard, the gameplay is not what is praised in Enslaved though, I wasn't impressed with what I played.

It's just my opinion (obviously) but I really don't think DMC will retain the gameplay of its predecessors. "

Yeah the combat was not great but it was good enough
    If DMC has the same gameplay I think, it'd be perfectly fine, and very polarizing just like enslaved. 
    I am a huge fan of the past DMC games I've beat them all a couple times. I'm super happy there are rebooting it.
    JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By JCGamer

I am interested in what a new developer can do with the series. I really liked 1, and skipped 2 and 3. Bought 4 but lost interest after gettin to the Dante sections. Hope this game has a better story, and isn't crazy hard and punishing.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By falserelic

Well I hope the developers can make this into an aswome DMC game 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By xyzygy

The developers have had some experience and I hope that they'll get even better with this one. I thought Heavenly Sword was so short and the combat was just shitty, but I haven't played Enslaved yet though I heard good things. I really like how this game is looking too.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

No matter how the game turns out, it'll at least always have its fantastic debut trailer to fall back on ;P.  

I've watched this trailer so many times. One of the best DMC songs out of the entire franchise. 

EDIT: Also I'm pretty certain it isn't, but the guy who opens up the video and is interrogating Dante sounds a little like Andy Serkis in his Monkey voice. Wouldn't put it past Ninja Theory to have Andy in here somewhere, though.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By ESREVER
    @Abyssfull: Nothing beats Devils Never Cry. Nothing. 

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

Eh? No, the only thing I don't want changed is the look of Dante and his personality. Gameplay can change (hopefully for the better).
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee
    @ESREVER:  
    Meh. I think that song's pretty crap. Just some generic gothic-y rock with a really annoying vocalist. I prefer DMC4's theme, though that isn't so fantastic either. 

This on the other hand... 

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14  Edited By Undeadpool
    @JTB123: Frankly Bayonetta already proved anything he can do she can do better, so I think DMC could either use an overhaul or at least bite off some of that style.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By BigBoss1911

I dont know, the chances of this game being a failure outway the possibility of it being successful in the fans eyes, ninja theory should not have been given this franchise, if anyone I would have loved to see team ninja make a devil may cry title.   

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eric_buck

Plus the main character looks like a hipster.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ESREVER
    @Abyssfull: D: I'm taken back. I've never ran into someone who disliked the DMC3 theme... I mean, that song and that TGS trailer it went along with sold me on DMC3. I was so crazy hyped on that game, and to this day, Devils Never Cry is one of my favorite things to listen to.  I...I don't know what to think anymore. 

As for the actual topic, the new DMC will have fantastic cutscenes. Ninja Theory is pretty great at them. But I hope to hell it doesn't run on the UE3 engine. I can't handle anymore muddy textures and texture pop. 
    They also need to really work on their combat design. Heavenly Sword was mediocre, and Enslaved combat was pretty awful. So I'm a little worried about that.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai
    @JTB123: Have you seen how Dante looks like now???? Dude, it's going to be embarrassing. However, DMC has a long history of having good odd number games and crappy even numbered games so there's a slim hope. 
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By niamahai

Ninja Theory have a lot to prove.
    Both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved got no deep combat system, which i believe is what every DMC fans want. 

If they made the new DMC akin to their previous games (simplified combat and platforming), expect shit storms to be shat.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kingzetta
    @Mordukai said:
    " @JTB123: Have you seen how Dante looks like now???? Dude, it's going to be embarrassing. However, DMC has a long history of having good odd number games and crappy even numbered games so there's a slim hope.  "
    big deal he does not have white hair.
    I'm a huge fan and I don't care about that
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JTB123

I'm glad this got some more input :) Thanks everyone.

I think the highest priority for the fans is the gameplay, as with any sequel to a well established franchise. 

That is biggest worry here, I haven't played the full game of Enslaved yet, but what I hear is very worrying when you consider the combat Ninja Theory is going to have to re-create. Dante's character is also something that ties into the gameplay in a certain way, his cocky attitude and self assurance (desptie him being kinda lame) are quite entertaining. 

I seriously doubt hardcore fans of DMC will even be considered with this next installment.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, my hopes are pretty low for the next DMC game. I haven't played Enslaved, but I really hate the direction they're taking Dante in. I can't say adequately how much they have put me off this game because of that.  

But to be honest, I don't really like where his character has been taken since the first game, or the overall style of the series. They made him a young punk in DMC, and the first one is the only game where I enjoyed the music. It was just straight up guitar-shredding, whereas the other ones have lyrics and crap in the combat music, and it's not very good.  

Also, I think the point should be made that in the special edition of DMC 3 (which is the one I have), they rebalanced the difficulty quite a bit, meaning that it's not infuriatingly difficult on the normal setting (but still fairly challenging).  

But back to the point, I'm not going to be buying the new DMC. I hate the direction they're going in, and I don't think that quality combat is enough to convince me to buy the new one (especially since I bought all of the DMC games I have for cheap a good amount of time after they came out). 

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Catolf
    @MooseyMcMan:  How do you hate the direction? Because it's a prequel? It's not even out yet to be judged that harshly.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kingzetta
    @Catolf said:
    " @MooseyMcMan:  How do you hate the direction? Because it's a prequel? It's not even out yet to be judged that harshly. "
    The ninja theory DMC game is a total reboot not a prequel.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @BigBoss1911 said:
    ninja theory should not have been given this franchise
    I kinda see it the other way around, that maybe Ninja Theory shouldn't have taken this franchise.
    If they don't do something special they're gonna take all the blame for running this franchise into the ground, with few remembering how close to the grave it already was.

...but, nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By Hailinel
    @kingzetta said:
    " @Catolf said:
    " @MooseyMcMan:  How do you hate the direction? Because it's a prequel? It's not even out yet to be judged that harshly. "
    The ninja theory DMC game is a total reboot not a prequel. "
    And above everything else, this is the point that seems most unnecessary.  Developers need to stop with this idiotic reboot trend.
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JTB123
    @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Catolf said:
    And above everything else, this is the point that seems most unnecessary.  Developers need to stop with this idiotic reboot trend. "
    This is true. DMC really didn't need rebooting either.

I think this is another prequel though, it's set before DMC3. Apparently if you've read the anime and other stuff for DMC it can be explained... no idea whether that's true though.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Catolf said:
    And above everything else, this is the point that seems most unnecessary.  Developers need to stop with this idiotic reboot trend. "
    Reboots are not bad, in fact if any game series really needed a reboot it was DMC.
    One of my favorite games ever is actually a reboot .
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Hailinel said:
    Developers need to stop with this idiotic reboot trend. "
    Just curious why?
    Is there something you see as inherently wrong with the concept of a franchise reboot?
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JTB123
    @ProfessorEss: That's a good point. People do tend to shift blame in that manner.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kingzetta
    @JTB123 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Catolf said:
    This is true. DMC really didn't need rebooting either.  I think this is another prequel though, it's set before DMC3. Apparently if you've read the anime and other stuff for DMC it can be explained... no idea whether that's true though. "
    It's not really up for discussion. Capcom themselves at TGS after the trailer played said, this is a reboot.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Catolf
    @kingzetta said:
    " @Catolf said:
    Either way it was needed for a franchise that has been hit or miss for so long.

@Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Catolf said:

I don't think it's idiotic, something had to be done.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hailinel
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    Developers need to stop with this idiotic reboot trend. "
    Just curious why? Is there something you see as inherently wrong with the concept of a franchise reboot? "
    It's throwing out plot, history, and characterization; things that people knew about characters suddenly don't apply.  It's one of the things I don't like about Castlevania:  Lords of Shadow; how it tosses over two decades of story and the history of the Belmont clan out for the shits and giggles of making Dracula a Belmont.  And as for Devil May Cry, why?  Devil May Cry 2 was shit, yes, but was there really anything specifically wrong with the Dante of those games?  Do we really need a new Dante?

No, we don't.  Maybe the gameplay can be overhauled, sure.  But there's absolutely no reason to ignore everything that came before.  Hell, even Kid Icarus:  Uprising recognizes itself as a sequel.  It acknowledges the events of the NES game from 1986.  Yes, the game is entirely different now, and the story of Kid Icarus was paper-thin, but there's a big difference between acknowledgment and ignorance.
    JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JTB123
    @kingzetta: A reboot doesn't mean it can't take place along the same storyline though, RE4 was a reboot. But it tied directly into RE canon.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By phantomzxro

I pretty much agree with the OP here, I played and own all the DMC games and i agree everyone misstep in a few area but added something to the overall DMC games and all they need to do is add all the good thing and cut the bad. I would say even a game on the level of DMC 3 would be great because i feel it did a great job of keeping alot of themes from the first game while adding new gameplay and making it  more fun to mess around. 

Now with the whole ninja theory thing i also agree they are not the best guys to make this game, combat is just not their strong suit story is. Even then they just can't seal the deal on that, which leads to their only strong points which is characters and characters models they do a great job and are among the best in the biz with their skills. I have both heavenly sword and enslaved and i have beaten both of those games and i can say they are fine games and both were fun rides. But the only thing that really got me hooked were the cheracters and their reactions within the games. So i don't know if that is what DMC need i'm sure people who are bored of DMC or not much of a fan before may welcome that change. But overall i don't know if that will make a better game given at the end of the day this will be a DMC game and not an adventure game. 

It sucks because i don't know how this game (DmC) will do but given ninja theory track record this will not be the blockbuster they  want and it will put ninja theory more in the hole when they should be making a game that is more their style. Which needs to happen soon because with games like LA Noir coming out i don't know if you can say ninja theory does the best facial mocap in the gaming world anymore. And you can count that it will sell pretty well for rockstar.   

In a perfect world i would want capcom to give DMC to platinum games because the guy who made Dante and what DMC was is heading that studio and you can tell. Bayonetta was everything DMC4 should have been if you just slap dante on it. Because i don't know if there is bad blood between the two or if capcom would ever want to do that. But all we can do is wait and see and just hope ninja theory knows what it is doing because i hate to see them go when they had so much going for them at the start. because it sounds like they never get to make the games they want.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By keyhunter
    @kingzetta said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " @JTB123: Have you seen how Dante looks like now???? Dude, it's going to be embarrassing. However, DMC has a long history of having good odd number games and crappy even numbered games so there's a slim hope.  "
    big deal he does not have white hair. I'm a huge fan and I don't care about that "
    I'm not a huge fan of the series BECAUSE of his stupid white hair. Capcom made a good decision.
    Actually, now that I think about it, a scrawny crackhead who knows gun kata isn't very compelling either. 
    At least people who really like bad anime would totally be into old Dante. Either way it's pretty fucking embarassing.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Hailinel: Fair enough. I guess I just can't think of any game stories that I care enough about that I would care about the concept of rebooting.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel
    @keyhunter said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    big deal he does not have white hair. I'm a huge fan and I don't care about that "
    I'm not a huge fan of the series BECAUSE of his stupid white hair. Capcom made a good decision. Actually, now that I think about it, a scrawny crackhead who knows gun kata isn't very compelling either.  At least people who really like bad anime would totally be into old Dante. Either way it's pretty fucking embarassing. "
    Seriously?  The only thing holding you back was his hair?

The hell, man.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel: Well I do agree about the Castlevaina thing because there is real story there.
    You should not be surprised by that twist at all. The series's last protagonist Soma Cruz was the reincarnation of The Count. 

They basically pulled the same trick twice. In Devil May Cry there is no story at all. 
    Dante is half demon, he has a evil brother, his father was a good demon. 
    The games have never done anything to flesh out the world or anything.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mordukai
    @Hailinel said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    I'm not a huge fan of the series BECAUSE of his stupid white hair. Capcom made a good decision. Actually, now that I think about it, a scrawny crackhead who knows gun kata isn't very compelling either.  At least people who really like bad anime would totally be into old Dante. Either way it's pretty fucking embarassing. "
    Seriously?  The only thing holding you back was his hair?  The hell, man. "
    Dude it's something I gotten used to since game 1. It's like if they made a new God of War and they envision Kratos has something different.  

But seriously, it's not about the hair. it's more like his entire look. He looks like he spent waaaaay too much at Hot Topic. 
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By WickedCestus
    @phantomzxro said:
    "all they need to do is add all the good thing and cut the bad."  

That's it? Man, how could they possible fuck this up!?
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kingzetta
    @JTB123 said:
    " @kingzetta: A reboot doesn't mean it can't take place along the same storyline though, RE4 was a reboot. But it tied directly into RE canon. "
    No a reboot means the other 4 games never existed.
    I may sound like an ass but RE4 was Redesign not a reboot.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Mordukai said:

But seriously, it's not about the hair. it's more like his entire look. He looks like he spent waaaaay too much at Hot Topic.  "

Both Dantes look like they've spent their fair share of time inside a Hot Topic or two?

(...perhaps on the way to or from gettin they hair did?)
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Akrid

I really appreciate you not bitching about the character design, much respect for that. You've made the best argument I've seen, which isn't hard when the rest are complaining about how he looks like the creative director or some shit...

I can see what you're saying about it being disappointing for the fans, and your right when you say there is still much room for improvement. So you've shown me why so many people hate this reboot and then fail to articulate why. But still, personally, it's not a big deal to me if they stop making DMC games like 1-4. I think I've had my fill, or at least I feel satiated now that we have Bayonetta. Am I as excited about this game then I would be if they had shown a trailer of a traditional DMC rivaling 3? No. But I'm not disappointed either, this new game looks good but in a very different way.

@Hailinel: Fuck man, why? I mean... It's super obvious but still....

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    Well to be fair the reason everyone hates the new one is because, he does NOT have white hair.
    So It's perfectly fair for him to hate it for an equally stupid reason.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Catolf
    @Mordukai:  I'm rather glad he dosen't look like a bishi.. CRACK HEAD DANTE GO!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hailinel
    @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    Well to be fair the reason everyone hates the new one is because, he does NOT have white hair. So It's perfectly fair for him to hate it for an equally stupid reason. "
    Well, there is that, but the one image I've seen of him basically makes him look like a drug addict that just got arrested at a Clash concert.  A very different Dante than the one people have gotten used to.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kingzetta
    @Hailinel said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    Well to be fair the reason everyone hates the new one is because, he does NOT have white hair. So It's perfectly fair for him to hate it for an equally stupid reason. "
    Well, there is that, but the one image I've seen of him basically makes him look like a drug addict that just got arrested at a Clash concert.  A very different Dante than the one people have gotten used to. "
    Change is good my friend. If it's anything like enslaved, this game will be probably the best Devil May Cry game.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hailinel
    @kingzetta:  Enslaved wasn't exactly known for its combat.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingzetta said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @kingzetta said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    Well, there is that, but the one image I've seen of him basically makes him look like a drug addict that just got arrested at a Clash concert.  A very different Dante than the one people have gotten used to. "
    Change is good my friend. If it's anything like enslaved, this game will be probably the best Devil May Cry game. "
    I have to disagree, it may be enjoyable, but the only thing I care about in "character-action games" as GB calls them is the insane combat.
    Edit:  And by insane I mean very awesome/great feeling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.