Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

This is what the new Dante should have looked like

• 65 results
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

No Caption Provided
    I've taken this from the snapshot of the video on the PS Blog. They sort of blended the old Dante and the new one together. Thoughts?
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I like the way he looked before.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

Whatever, he looks fine for a reboot in the style

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Just leave these guys be.  Until the gameplay videos come out I want to hear nothing about this game and the people crazy for/against it.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops

he's going from emo to emo. He looks kinda stupid in both imaginings of the game.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Malakhii
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " I like the way he looked before. "
    me too. 
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

The only thing wrong with the way he currently looks (as in, in the new game) is that he has the same face and hair as the president of Ninja Theory.  Otherwise, perfectly acceptable for a young Dante, because we all knew in our hearts he was a douchebag as a kid.
    Because, seriously, that guy is an asshole.  No one would like him if he wasn't so damn good at what he does, much like James Bond.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

I think they should have just kept Dante the way he is. 

Don't get me wrong - I understand the point of view that people have about saying "let it go, the new Dante is fine".  However, we're not talking about something like inFamous, where Cole had ONE game before they changed his look and people threw an uproar over it.  Dante is an established character.  Ninja Theory redoing Dante like they are doing it is the same (in my eyes) as changing Mario. 

WITH THAT SAID...there is absolutely NO ONE that I've seen taking into effect the idea that this Dante we are seeing is not the ACTUAL Dante, but rather the mental image of what Dante thinks he is.  I mean, the dood IS in a loony bin in the trailer after all.  For all we know, Dante hasn't changed at all, and he's just fighting in his mind. 

T_T  Yeah, I realize how ridiculous that sounds.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By NekuCTR

Wait, did you just make a guy with a shark tooth necklace even more emo? Bravo

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Karmum

Yeah, don't think so. I'm not a fan of this "new Dante," but I'm more interested in how the game will play, not what the character looks like.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By apathylad
    @jakob187 said:
    " For all we know, Dante hasn't changed at all, and he's just fighting in his mind.  T_T  Yeah, I realize how ridiculous that sounds. "
    What a tweeest!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @Apathylad said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " For all we know, Dante hasn't changed at all, and he's just fighting in his mind.  T_T  Yeah, I realize how ridiculous that sounds. "
    What a tweeest! "
    Keep Shyamalan the hell away from Devil May Cry!
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

Well he isn't a complete clone of the Ninja Theory lead developer, so yeah that's a massive improvement.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By GunstarRed

After listening to this weeks Gamespot UK podcast with the Head Ninja Theory dude it seems that  Capcom were pushing for a radical overhaul. I dont mind the  new one, He's not what I'd prefer but I'm not outraged by it or anything. I think New Dante looks better with the black hair.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chokobo
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " Just leave these guys be.  Until the gameplay videos come out I want to hear nothing about this game and the people crazy for/against it. "
    QFT
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By awesomeusername
    @jakob187: Maybe they show how he gets his white hair in this one!!! 

@Hailinel said:
    " @Apathylad said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    What a tweeest! "
    Keep Shyamalan the hell away from Devil May Cry! "
    Hahaha! 
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Chokobo said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " Just leave these guys be.  Until the gameplay videos come out I want to hear nothing about this game and the people crazy for/against it. "
    QFT "
    How was your day?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187

Seriously, I thought it was rather callous of Ryan on the Bombcast to lambast those who are up-in-arms over this change.  When people are attached to a character being who the character is, it's upsetting when that character is changed.  It is very much like what happened with Wind Waker when the new look for Link in that was shown off.  Mind you, that game turned out to be pretty damn excellent. 

That's the biggest thing I'm concerned about:  the gameplay.  Heavenly Sword was a very free-flow type of combat system, while Enslaved looks like it is a much stiffer and simplistic fighting system.  When I hear "Devil May Cry", NEITHER of those are what I think of.  Instead, I think "disciplined fighting system with flair that you have to learn to master".  I never felt like there was anything to master with Heavenly Sword.  Just mash some buttons and kick some ass. 

I don't know.  It's a complete up-in-the-air thing right now, but I think people have every reason to offer their initial impressions about this reveal, positive OR negative.  I think the character of Dante is worthwhile in his pre-existing form (and Capcom apparently thinks so too if they are willing to put him into Marvel vs. Capcom 3).  I just don't understand this change, the need for a reboot like this, or anything.  Devil May Cry 4 wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but fuck - it wasn't Devil May Cry 2 at least!

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chokobo
    @SethPhotopoulos:  Just got done writing how a music wiki site could work on Screened's forums.  Feeling pretty good.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @jakob187 said:
    " Seriously, I thought it was rather callous of Ryan on the Bombcast to lambast those who are up-in-arms over this change.  When people are attached to a character being who the character is, it's upsetting when that character is changed.  It is very much like what happened with Wind Waker when the new look for Link in that was shown off.  Mind you, that game turned out to be pretty damn excellent.  That's the biggest thing I'm concerned about:  the gameplay.  Heavenly Sword was a very free-flow type of combat system, while Enslaved looks like it is a much stiffer and simplistic fighting system.  When I hear "Devil May Cry", NEITHER of those are what I think of.  Instead, I think "disciplined fighting system with flair that you have to learn to master".  I never felt like there was anything to master with Heavenly Sword.  Just mash some buttons and kick some ass.  I don't know.  It's a complete up-in-the-air thing right now, but I think people have every reason to offer their initial impressions about this reveal, positive OR negative.  I think the character of Dante is worthwhile in his pre-existing form (and Capcom apparently thinks so too if they are willing to put him into Marvel vs. Capcom 3).  I just don't understand this change, the need for a reboot like this, or anything.  Devil May Cry 4 wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but fuck - it wasn't Devil May Cry 2 at least! "
    Yeah but hearing 

"THE NE DANTE IS A TWILIGHT FAGGOT" 
     or 
    "THE OLD DANTE WAS A FUCKING WANNABE BADASS EMO KID" 

Is really fucking annoying.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Chokobo: I want to see that really happen. 

Whiskey's Top Men should get on that.
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chokobo

^^Bang on yet again.  Seth owning fools in this thread.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee
    @Chokobo said:
    " ^^Bang on yet again.  Seth owning fools in this thread. "
    -_-'..
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Chokobo
    @SethPhotopoulos: It would take some serious work and planning to cull the rabid genre/band nuthuggers a bit, but those who merely enjoy music for music's sake, regardless of genre (and can discuss it rationally), should be able to enjoy it. I think it can work given enough effort. I have a fully detailed thing over there.

BACK ON TOPIC.  I think new Dante is alright.
    Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Raven10

I'm going to get flamed for this, but I like the new Dante better. I know he is different but people are overreacting. Just because you are used to something doesn't make it better. I love Ninja Theory's character designs. I know a lot of people don't like Monkey either, but I really like the work they do there. I'm honestly more worried about the gameplay. Heavenly Sword had a great story, and the demo for Enslaved looks like it will keep that tradition. The gameplay of those games on the other hand kind of leaves something to be desired. Honestly I was never a fan of the Dante character design before. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either. People just got used to it so they revere a design that is honestly not all that impressive. Plus the old Dante's story was kind of done. There wasn't much more they could do with that setting and character so now they have something that to me looks a lot more interesting. Capcom honestly isn't known for their interesting stories and characters. Devil May Cry always had nonsensical pointless stories. I'm all for Ninja Theory trying their hand at making a story for it. And I think it would be interesting for this game to end with Dante earning his silver hair.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Chokobo: i do too.  He ain't that bad given the context and tone of the trailer.
    wfolse1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wfolse1
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " he's going from emo to emo. He looks kinda stupid in both imaginings of the game. "
    I don't understand people throwing around words like "emo" and "twilight" as qualifiers for his new look.  I basically get straight up gutter punk when looking at him.  I actually think its an interesting look for a video game character.  So frequently we play through games as muscle-bound giants that playing as this scraggly dude should be kind of cool.
    Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Garris

I'm fine with the new dante, as long as he maintains the same wisecracking attitude.  

don't give me no depressed emo dante. 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vonocourt
    @AuthenticM said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    I've taken this from the snapshot of the video on the PS Blog. They sort of blended the old Dante and the new one together. Thoughts? "
    That looks stupid. Beyond the half-bang thing, I couldn't care less about the change.
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By vaiz

That looks retardiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    Force Unleashed 2 Box Art
    Force Unleashed 2 Box Art

No Caption Provided

He's just a haircut away...
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @wfolse1 said:
    " @sodiumCyclops said:
    " he's going from emo to emo. He looks kinda stupid in both imaginings of the game. "
    I don't understand people throwing around words like "emo" and "twilight" as qualifiers for his new look.  I basically get straight up gutter punk when looking at him.  I actually think its an interesting look for a video game character.  So frequently we play through games as muscle-bound giants that playing as this scraggly dude should be kind of cool. "
    Well, what you are classing as 'punk' is almost 100% wrong.

Real punk looks nothing like the new Dante.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho

lol 
    This is like the Diablo 3 thing, where fans make something that looks so much stupider for their "improvement".

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " @wfolse1 said:
    " @sodiumCyclops said:
    I don't understand people throwing around words like "emo" and "twilight" as qualifiers for his new look.  I basically get straight up gutter punk when looking at him.  I actually think its an interesting look for a video game character.  So frequently we play through games as muscle-bound giants that playing as this scraggly dude should be kind of cool. "
    Well, what you are classing as 'punk' is almost 100% wrong.  Real punk looks nothing like the new Dante. "
    "Real punks" are in their late 30s by now, at least.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By Catolf
    @ryanwho said:
    " lol This is like the Diablo 3 thing, where fans make something that looks so much stupider for their "improvement". "
    Have to agree.

This.. improvement looks, well really bad, who the hell would think that's an improvement?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HandsomeDead

No, this is what the new Dante should look like: 

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @HandsomeDead:  Hmm. Looks a little like Crockett.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @PrivateIronTFU: Is that a problem?
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @HandsomeDead: Are you kidding? Not at all! I was just about to suggest Tubbs, if only for the fact that everybody's going 'ethnic' nowadays. But Crockett is admittedly a better choice.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @PrivateIronTFU: Good lad. Imagine a scene of demons attacking a city, then out of nowhere, a figure swoops in, rips one apart with a sword, knocks another in the air, jumps up, kicks off it, shoots it in the head, lands in a cocky pose and there he is, pastel suited, perma-stubbled 1985 era Don Johnson. I would buy that game day of release.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @HandsomeDead: Don't forget the white slip-ons. But yes, I am eagerly awaiting your game. Too bad we'll both end up disappointed.
    Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By Wildfire570

I'm not the kind of person that gets all up in arms about the appearance of something but I really don't like the new Dante at all. He just looks like a generic hero with short brown hair. Just like every single white male protagonist thats been coming up recently. Guess I'm just going to go buy Marvel vs Capcom 3 if I want to see Dante in his real form.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Wildfire570 said:
    " I'm not the kind of person that gets all up in arms about the appearance of something but I really don't like the new Dante at all. He just looks like a generic hero with short brown hair. Just like every single white male protagonist thats been coming up recently. Guess I'm just going to go buy Marvel vs Capcom 3 if I want to see Dante in his real form. "
    Guess who's the alternate costume.  hehehehehehe
    Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By Wildfire570
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @Wildfire570 said:
    " I'm not the kind of person that gets all up in arms about the appearance of something but I really don't like the new Dante at all. He just looks like a generic hero with short brown hair. Just like every single white male protagonist thats been coming up recently. Guess I'm just going to go buy Marvel vs Capcom 3 if I want to see Dante in his real form. "
    Guess who's the alternate costume.  hehehehehehe "
    You're not supposed to give Capcom any ideas!!! XD
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DrPockets000

This is the worst case of judging a game prior to release I've ever seen.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bones8677
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    this.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DrPockets000
    @jakob187 said:
    " Seriously, I thought it was rather callous of Ryan on the Bombcast to lambast those who are up-in-arms over this change.  When people are attached to a character being who the character is, it's upsetting when that character is changed.  It is very much like what happened with Wind Waker when the new look for Link in that was shown off.  Mind you, that game turned out to be pretty damn excellent.  That's the biggest thing I'm concerned about:  the gameplay.  Heavenly Sword was a very free-flow type of combat system, while Enslaved looks like it is a much stiffer and simplistic fighting system.  When I hear "Devil May Cry", NEITHER of those are what I think of.  Instead, I think "disciplined fighting system with flair that you have to learn to master".  I never felt like there was anything to master with Heavenly Sword.  Just mash some buttons and kick some ass.  I don't know.  It's a complete up-in-the-air thing right now, but I think people have every reason to offer their initial impressions about this reveal, positive OR negative.  I think the character of Dante is worthwhile in his pre-existing form (and Capcom apparently thinks so too if they are willing to put him into Marvel vs. Capcom 3).  I just don't understand this change, the need for a reboot like this, or anything.  Devil May Cry 4 wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but fuck - it wasn't Devil May Cry 2 at least! "
    So basically, you're judging Ninja Theory based on two games that were completely different?
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @DrPockets000 said:
    " This is the worst case of judging a game prior to release I've ever seen. "
    Amen.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Getz

DMC fans' obsession with the white hair is absurd. You guys were never gonna like even the slightest change anyway, so no one cares what you think.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By Toxin066
    @AuthenticM:  I think that looks a lot better than the current version.

So, it's okay for us to get up in arms about Cole in inFamous but not for Dante?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.