This is what the new Dante should have looked like

• 65 results
#51 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5410 posts) -
@DrPockets000 said:
" @jakob187 said:
" Seriously, I thought it was rather callous of Ryan on the Bombcast to lambast those who are up-in-arms over this change.  When people are attached to a character being who the character is, it's upsetting when that character is changed.  It is very much like what happened with Wind Waker when the new look for Link in that was shown off.  Mind you, that game turned out to be pretty damn excellent.  That's the biggest thing I'm concerned about:  the gameplay.  Heavenly Sword was a very free-flow type of combat system, while Enslaved looks like it is a much stiffer and simplistic fighting system.  When I hear "Devil May Cry", NEITHER of those are what I think of.  Instead, I think "disciplined fighting system with flair that you have to learn to master".  I never felt like there was anything to master with Heavenly Sword.  Just mash some buttons and kick some ass.  I don't know.  It's a complete up-in-the-air thing right now, but I think people have every reason to offer their initial impressions about this reveal, positive OR negative.  I think the character of Dante is worthwhile in his pre-existing form (and Capcom apparently thinks so too if they are willing to put him into Marvel vs. Capcom 3).  I just don't understand this change, the need for a reboot like this, or anything.  Devil May Cry 4 wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but fuck - it wasn't Devil May Cry 2 at least! "
So basically, you're judging Ninja Theory based on two games that were completely different? "
To be fair the 2 games they release already have been seen as very middling by critics. 
 Kung Fu Chaos got 50's and 60's 
Heavenly sword got scores ranging from 5-10 indicating mixed reactions 
and Heavenly Sword is like God of War like God of War is like Devil May Cry.  So Heavenly Sword is similar to DmC.

However having played the Enslaved demo it makes me confident they could do a good job.
#52 Posted by DrBlacktavious (14 posts) -
@HandsomeDead said:
" No, this is what the new Dante should look like: 

"
This is supposed to be super young Dante, we need something more like this:

Bonus points for telepathic dog sidekick.
#53 Posted by StarvingGamer (8560 posts) -

Dante should have looked like this

Take THAT Bayonetta
#54 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@StarvingGamer:  Nooo thats just what happen when Dante and Bayonetta finally got some torture attacks in the bedroom.

@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
" This is the worst case of judging a game prior to release I've ever seen. "
Amen. "
X2

@DrPockets000 said:

Yeah.

@Toxin066 said:
" @AuthenticM:  I think that looks a lot better than the current version.  So, it's okay for us to get up in arms about Cole in inFamous but not for Dante? "
Both on Infamous and on DmC was out of line, both re-designs were fine, and as far as Infamous was a HUGELY VAST IMPROVEMENT.. in my opinion.
#55 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

so to correct the fact that they made him look like a gay twilight emo vampire the suggestion is to make him look more like a gay twilight emo vampire. 

kudos to that blog. sarah palin's tweets are no long the most retarded thing on the web.

#56 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5410 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @StarvingGamer:  Nooo thats just what happen when Dante and Bayonetta finally got some torture attacks in the bedroom.

@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @DrPockets000 said:
Amen. "
X2

@DrPockets000 said:

Yeah.

@Toxin066 said:
" @AuthenticM:  I think that looks a lot better than the current version.  So, it's okay for us to get up in arms about Cole in inFamous but not for Dante? "
Both on Infamous and on DmC was out of line, both re-designs were fine, and as far as Infamous was a HUGELY VAST IMPROVEMENT.. in my opinion. "
InFamous was a sequel not a reboot to the franchise so you can see why they were a little ticked.
#57 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos:  Ah alright, that's valid. I could see the reason now.
#58 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

If I could point out the obvious here, Im sure they have a macguffin planned where Dante's hair turns white after he awakens a powerful demon inside himself. So if the only problem you have with the corny ass new design is the hair, I'd suggest waiting because it'll probably be white by the end of the game.

#59 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" If I could point out the obvious here, Im sure they have a macguffin planned where Dante's hair turns white after he awakens a powerful demon inside himself. So if the only problem you have with the corny ass new design is the hair, I'd suggest waiting because it'll probably be white by the end of the game. "
Yeah, I believe that was confirmed in an interview with Ninja Theory and how they were going to do the story up to when his hair turned white. I need to find that quote, but it was said.
#60 Posted by gabha (357 posts) -

Sometimes Photoshop scares me!
#61 Posted by AndrewSmith19 (1 posts) -

I know I am going to get people who disagree with me on this but the only real problem I see with the new character design is the face itself. I can live with black hair turning into silver because he is younger and is shows transition into who he is now. I can handle the slim physique because this again shows transition into who he will become. The face however shows a complete disregard for how he looked before because without plastic surgery as he aged he would look completely different. This includes things like a much narrower face to an extreme or higher cheekbones etc... With other games in the series I can see how he changed as he grew older up until number 2 where he looked much younger (Whether this is cause of trigger I do not know). The problem I have had with the DMC series as a whole is Capcom can never seem to get it right where the want the series to go and it ends up being a ton of prequels and jumping in the story. The order that DMC actually goes in is DMC3 > DMC1 > DMC AS > DMC 4 > DMC book 2> DMC 2. I have not read the first book so I do not know where that goes. (Please tell me if you know). In each series they have kept most of the story pretty straight though, Such as in 1 and forward he has always had devil trigger from near start of the game. In 1 he did not instantly start off with it because he was using the Edge rather that rebellion which is actually his sword. If he discovers trigger in this game it will totally invalidate how he got it in DMC 3 which is something I hope they don't overlook.

#62 Posted by DoctorTran (1575 posts) -

I have a feeling his hair will turn white during the course of the game.

#63 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@AndrewSmith19:  This is a reboot, a re imagining, it dosen't matter what his face looks like because in this one those other games did not and do not exist. It won't matter what order they go in.
#64 Posted by Brendan (8168 posts) -

I don't care. Gameplay.

#65 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

It's the hair that's weird, his face doesn't look too bad

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.