Too much platforming?

• 88 results
#51 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Pr1mus said:

Having just finished it i can say i liked the platforming. It's a combination of the level design and presentation with the fact that it's perfectly competent at what it does. And they use the platforming in some creative ways in some sections of the game.

I agree with this, but I can definitely see myself getting annoyed with it if I play through this game a bunch (which I probably will.)

#52 Edited by Humanity (9219 posts) -

@J12088 said:

@Sanious said:

@J12088 said:

Yup. Lack of bosses, lack of enemies and far too many cutscenes that you can't skip over make this a less than brilliant game. Makes replaying it a chore and trying to SSS rank everything even more of a chore.

I guess they should keep making you fight the same bosses over and over to make you feel like you're actually fighting a variety of bosses.

I didn't find the platforming to be a problem and I think on harder difficulties it does not outweigh the combat really.

Only real problem I have when it comes to "cut scenes" is parts that should be cut scenes but aren't and DmC isn't the only guilty party when it comes to this. I do not like walking around slower than usual just to hear a dialogue part, it is utterly pointless and a waste of my fucking time. Those are the missions I hate replaying the most.

Never got why fighting a boss again is a problem. The bosses in DMC are fun. Best part of DMC4 was the bosses and fighting them over was never a big deal. They also had more bosses than the new DMC so they never had to repeat them to make it seem like there was more.

It's lazy game design and DMC4 exmplifies the laziest of game designs. While I appreciate the initial thought that might have sparked that decision in a meeting somewhere - the idea that we would see two different characters walk the same path but in very different ways - in reality the execution wasn't quite as ambitious. Not to mention that from what I can recall, the bosses didn't really change up their attack patterns either or take on new forms. You fought the same enemies twice, with the same attacks, which completely undermined Neros playthrough in a way. You just spent several hours "defeating" these bosses except you didn't seem to really have done damn thing as they show up without a scratch to battle Dante.

A boss rush mode is fine but don't force the player to battle through the same bosses twice without any significant differences in the single player campaign.

#53 Edited by Ghostiet (5269 posts) -

I'm fine with the platforming - it's not bad, although I don't think the way Dante jumps really lends itself very well to platforming. However, I'm annoyed that the ratio of jumping around and slashing dudes in the face is somewhat fucked up.

#54 Posted by amir90 (2156 posts) -

I enjoyed those parts, to each of his own.

#55 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@J12088 said:

Never got why fighting a boss again is a problem. The bosses in DMC are fun. Best part of DMC4 was the bosses and fighting them over was never a big deal. They also had more bosses than the new DMC so they never had to repeat them to make it seem like there was more.

It is more of a comment on "lack" of Bosses rather then it being a problem fighting them again (when it is depending on how it is executed). There wasn't that much more bosses in DMC4 than there was in DmC, just that you fought the Bosses more. Considering I don't think DmC's strongest point was the Bosses (when it came to fighting them), so I personally don't have a problem with the lack there of.

#56 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

The ONLY good thing in this game is the combat system.

Still, no game will beat Bayonetta as long as its alive

No exaggerating, best hack n slash game this generation.

#57 Posted by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

Almost half way through my 4th run and yeah, it's starting to get a little annoying but they don't last long enough to become a significant problem. I just wish there was more combat in general, I'm itching for bloody palace to come out.

#58 Edited by Tennmuerti (8100 posts) -

If playing though the game just once, the platforming seems perfectly fine.

It's only when doing multiple play thoughts that I started to get annoyed at them. And really it's mostly the tutorial like sections (that have to load up and trudged through) that are the main culprit. These really should have been made skippable if you already have done them once.

With load times on PC being pretty much non existent, all the cutscenes can be skipped as soon as they start.

#59 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

@WarlordPayne said:

Wait...you can't skip cutscenes? This is the first time I've seen that mentioned. With a game that relies so much on replayability I'd think more people would be complaining about that.

You can skip cutscenes; press Select on PS3, and I guess the corresponding button for 360.

#60 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

I enjoy the platforming in DmC; the Angelic and Demonic pulls make it interesting at least, as does the glide ability you get later on.

And personally I prefer this over DMC 4, but not over DMC 3.

#61 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I never had a issue with the platforming. There are two levels later on that focus on it but is not an issue. All for variety. It felt great, even if it is never hard.

I agree plus having the traversal secret missions wit the leaderboards really helps to break up the action from the combat, once i got one of the early game abilities unlocked it really opened it up plus these abilities are also fantastic in combat so really theres no reason for it not to be there

#62 Posted by El_Galant (59 posts) -

@iGooner7 said:

I could never get into that one because of the female lead and the repetitive music...maybe the new Tomb Raider will change my stance.

#63 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (665 posts) -

@J12088 said:

@spankingaddict said:

@Nettacki said:

@spankingaddict said:

I have nothing bad to say about DmC . It just amazes me how people can pick out imaginary flaws in this game :D

Just because you don't have a problem with DmC doesn't mean others don't or shouldn't. Whatever problems this game has/hasn't is probably not imaginary, especially if that 3 star user review has any merit.

No , I don't think everybody should think it's flawless . Its just that some of the stuff people point out are actually seem made up . That or there dissecting the the game WAY TOO MUCH . Even before releasing , people everywhere were picking apart the game and making a big deal out of which ended up being nothing .

This game isn't perfect , but it's pretty darn close . IMO

The loading times are not made up or an imaginary flaw. They can be 5 seconds, 10 seconds or 30 seconds it doesn't matter in an action game it breaks up the flow. So does the platforming. The platforming is not the fun part of this game the combat is. Theyve gone through the effort of making this combat system and ranking system and then put loading screens and platforming in the way of it. It's like they tried to do there own thing but stay true to the DMC formula and as a result you've got this bastard game that's not living up to it's potential - potential that's clearly there.

The old developers got it. They understood it's about the combat. That's why the backtracking really wasn't a huge issue. Ninja gaiden is another game that got it. It was never about the story or the world it was the combat.

DMC isn't a bad game but it aint a great game either.

I find the platforming often as fun as the fighting, so how can you say it's not the fun part? The developers obviously thought it was fun, otherwise they wouldn't have included so much.

#64 Posted by Deusx (1904 posts) -

I love the platforming in that game. It's more of a rhythm game than anything else.

#65 Posted by iGooner7 (136 posts) -

@El_Galant said:

@iGooner7 said:

I could never get into that one because of the female lead and the repetitive music...maybe the new Tomb Raider will change my stance.

Having a game that the main character is a female doesnt change the fact that Bayonetta is the best hack n slash game this generation mate.

#67 Posted by Dixego (385 posts) -

I like the platforming sections, I don't think there's too few enemies, and cutscenes are totally skippable (On the ps3 at least)

#69 Edited by XChairmanDrekX (284 posts) -

@nutmeg123 said:

@rebgav said:

@nutmeg123 said:

@rebgav said:

@nutmeg123 said:

@iGooner7 said:

@El_Galant said:

@iGooner7 said:

Having a game that the main character is a female doesnt change the fact that Bayonetta is the best hack n slash game this generation mate.

Besides the fact that Bayonetta isn't a very good game?

That's right, Bayonetta isn't "very good," it's great! The best "character action" game of this generation and, by default, all generations to date. It's almost like it's too good, y'know?!

Nah I think it's just an awful game and you have a horrible taste in video games.

It's really unfortunate that you don't like good games but what can I do about it? Have a nice day!

I'd say have a nice day as well, but how can somebody that enjoys games as shitty as Bayonetta possibly enjoy their life?

You're inclined to your opinion, but many disagree quite a bit, including me with your sentiments on Bayonetta and the current life situations of people who also enjoy it. That's all I'll say, feel free to get the last word in edgewise if it makes you feel any better. I'm sure you have great arguments to back up your claims!

#70 Posted by XChairmanDrekX (284 posts) -

@nutmeg123 said:

@XChairmanDrekX said:

@nutmeg123 said:

@rebgav said:

@nutmeg123 said:

@rebgav said:

@nutmeg123 said:

@iGooner7 said:

@El_Galant said:

@iGooner7 said:

That's right, Bayonetta isn't "very good," it's great! The best "character action" game of this generation and, by default, all generations to date. It's almost like it's too good, y'know?!

Nah I think it's just an awful game and you have a horrible taste in video games.

It's really unfortunate that you don't like good games but what can I do about it? Have a nice day!

I'd say have a nice day as well, but how can somebody that enjoys games as shitty as Bayonetta possibly enjoy their life?

You're inclined to your opinion, but many disagree quite a bit, including me with your sentiments on Bayonetta and the current life situations of people who also enjoy it. That's all I'll say, feel free to get the last word in edgewise if it makes you feel any better. I'm sure you have great arguments to back up your claims!

I don't need an argument because the opinion that Bayonetta is a game of good or above average quality and beyond is an invalid one. The only possible explanation would have to be something extreme, such as everybody that enjoys Bayonetta has some sort of severe mental deficiency. I'd hate to insinuate that though so I'm just going to go ahead and say you're just messing with me, you don't really enjoy Bayonetta.

Wow! You know what, ya got me, turns out I didn't enjoy Bayonetta at all, thanks for your wise sage wisdom in helping me come to this conclusion. All that fun was complete bullshit and you have helped me see the light. Please tell me about other games I didn't actually enjoy so I can reevaluate my life!

#72 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

I was just complaining to someone that I wish the game had less fighting and more platforming. Hacking doods gets old for me.

#73 Posted by dudeglove (7840 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@nutmeg123 said:

@iGooner7 said:

@El_Galant said:

@iGooner7 said:

*cough* quick time events *cough*

#75 Edited by TobbRobb (4646 posts) -

@rebgav: And this new DMC has glorified QTEs. ^^

YOU CANT RUN FROM QUICKTIME!

EDIT: Also on the topic I guess. I think the game i very well paced for the first run through, It's fun varied and exciting. 10/10 great rollercoaster.

But playing SoS and just general rank whoring makes me wish there were more bosses, less talking/jumping and that elemental enemies could go fuck themselves.

#77 Posted by TobbRobb (4646 posts) -

@rebgav: I can confirm that it is in fact, uncalled for and petty. :D

#78 Edited by Luca717 (106 posts) -

i thought the game was balanced enough with the fighting and the platforming. the tools you get for platforming i felt encouraged their use when it comes to battle, or it would have been something i forgot to use. and your right, maybe one or two more big bosses would have been fun. and just hit back on a 360 controller to skip the cutscene

#79 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

i didn't necessarily enjoy the platforming, but i didn't dislike it either. i thought it served to break up the combat nicely, and helped with the game's pacing. i was always excited for the next fight, and if the game was just constant barrages of enemies i doubt this would have been so.

#80 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@iGooner7 said:

@El_Galant said:

@iGooner7 said:

I prefer God of War and Ninja Gaiden to Bayonetta. Bayo is fun, but the overall lack of precision didn't really cut it for me. I don't like the '' target-lock '' mechanics. I'd rather if they evolved their combat styles to allow total freedom, like NG, GoW and the new DmC. Sure, sometimes the lock-on helps, but it's a mechanic that feels old and clunky to me. But hey, it's just my opinion.

#81 Posted by TobbRobb (4646 posts) -

@Klei: I agree to some extent, especially in games like God of War, who doesn't really need it.

But I really think the new DmC would be better with a lock on. With the amount of hooks, dashes and projectiles you can send at enemies, its really frustrating to go flying to the wrong one. I want the ability to aim at specific targets in the clusterfuck enemy placement of SoS or DMD.

Trying to angelhook a flying target but randomly hitting a fully revved chainsaw instead is NOT FUN.

#82 Posted by Humanity (9219 posts) -

@iGooner7 said:

Actually the level design and aesthetic beat the hell out of most beat 'em ups including all the previous DMC's. Unless gothic castles are your thing.

#83 Posted by TobbRobb (4646 posts) -

@Humanity: Gothic castles and archaic and obtuse puzzles. Can't forget that.

#84 Posted by Humanity (9219 posts) -

@TobbRobb: The quintessence of Japanese game development really.

#86 Posted by Hailinel (24734 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@TobbRobb said:

@rebgav: And this new DMC has glorified QTEs. ^^

YOU CANT RUN FROM QUICKTIME!

But... but... it doesn't count! It's "DmC," it's got that "Other M" in there!

Is that comparison uncalled-for and petty? God, I hope so!

Hey, hey! Say what you will about DmC, but you leave Other M out of this, dammit!

#87 Posted by Xel (157 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@iGooner7 said:

Actually the level design and aesthetic beat the hell out of most beat 'em ups including all the previous DMC's. Unless gothic castles are your thing.

But level design and aesthetics aren't what we come to beat 'em ups for. It's the combat, and that is still lacking in DmC.

#89 Posted by Humanity (9219 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@Humanity said:

@iGooner7 said:

The level design isn't anything to write home about - what the new DmC has over the old ones is that it doesn't reuse areas over and over and over again. I think that DMC3 has, wedged between the recycled corridors and arenas, more unique rooms which show off the design and aesthetic flair of that team (some of the end game areas are conceptually or visually similar to DmC's core bag of tricks). The exploded environments in DmC's limbo are a neat gimmick but they apply that idea to almost every area in the game which is a bit numbing.

Considering that these games revolve around the premise of a fighting arena, transition, fighting arena, transition I'd say that DmC definitely is something to write home about. The way the areas explode is extremely creative and interesting. I don't see how something like that can be numbing as opposed to going through the same halfways and corridors to fight in another medieval room with a rustic chandelier. In addition theres a diverse color palette used throughout the game so you don't always just see the same drab colors over and over. I understand we all have our own opinions but to look at the creative ways the DmC team has handled the levels by morphing and changing them offering players a look at a world they literally haven't experienced anywhere else before and just dismiss it as "nothing to write home about" seems a little nuts to me.

@Xel: I come for both, but the combat in DmC is not really lacking. I'm on my second playthrough on the unlocked higher difficulty (Son of Sparda I think) and the more time I spend with the game the more ways I find to dispatch certain enemies and mix up combos. For instance using charged Onyx attacks on the chainsaw guys instead of juggling them in the air as I had in the past. Theres a lot of depth to explore in the combat if you just put some time into it. The reason past DMC games were renowned for their combat was because people put literally hundreds of hours into researching combos. Most players seem to dismiss DmC as "lacking" and don't really spend any time with it.

#90 Posted by Xel (157 posts) -

@Humanity: I have put time into it. I'm currently halfway through my DMD playthrough and have only the Kablooey abilities to unlock. The combat is decent, sure, but I still find it lacking. I just wish there was a lockon so that I could properly focus on the enemies I want to. It's also pretty slow, especially when the bigger enemies show up.

Having said that, the game is fun and I'm not gonna dismiss the creativity on show in the aesthetics of the levels; I just hope they put that much effort into the combat in DmC2.

#91 Posted by Hungry (165 posts) -

@Xel said:

@Humanity: I have put time into it. I'm currently halfway through my DMD playthrough and have only the Kablooey abilities to unlock. The combat is decent, sure, but I still find it lacking. I just wish there was a lockon so that I could properly focus on the enemies I want to. It's also pretty slow, especially when the bigger enemies show up.

Having said that, the game is fun and I'm not gonna dismiss the creativity on show in the aesthetics of the levels; I just hope they put that much effort into the combat in DmC2.

I mostly agree with this. The lack of lock-on is ridiculously frustrating. The combat also has the potential to be deep, but you barely need it. Aquila is way too powerful not only for controlling fights but also for giving your style meter a free easy boost. I'm almost done with Son of Sparda and the game is still a snooze-fest difficulty-wise. Platforming is a bit too long, bosses are not fun to fight, but they are fun to look at and hear. I do like the new Dante though, he fits into the mold of Devil May Cry's "Let's set up a situation for Dante to do something stylish and pop a one-liner" cutscenes quite well.

So I guess the game is alright.

#93 Edited by Lazyaza (2180 posts) -

I have to agree while the platforming is functional their are many times in the game where i'm constantly saying "really, I didn't make that jump?"lol. I dunno I love the game a lot, as much as Brad did, the boss fights and general combat is just so fantastic but I swear whoever placed some of the platforms in the game did so intentionally to annoy =P. Looking forward to the Vergil dlc, hope its as unique as Pigsy's was with Enslaved.

#94 Posted by El_Galant (59 posts) -

@TobbRobb: I felt that on my first and only run through the game, which is wary of when or if I try the harder difficulties.

#95 Posted by El_Galant (59 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@iGooner7 said:

I actually prefer the environment in the previous games better, they were all pretty coherent themes. This one is a new one, I was expecting more bosses and less jumping, and I found the most interesting boss to be the first one, the rest were just strange blobs of some sort.

#96 Posted by FaPaThY (134 posts) -

I didn't mind all the platforming when I got used to it. Especially when you get the angel boost/glide abilities, which lets you skip some sections.

Either way, I enjoy it, but I can see why others wouldn't.

#97 Posted by El_Galant (59 posts) -

@rebgav said:

The level design isn't anything to write home about - what the new DmC has over the old ones is that it doesn't reuse areas over and over and over again. I think that DMC3 has, wedged between the recycled corridors and arenas, more unique rooms which show off the design and aesthetic flair of that team (some of the end game areas are conceptually or visually similar to DmC's core bag of tricks). The exploded environments in DmC's limbo are a neat gimmick but they apply that idea to almost every area in the game which is a bit numbing.

My sentiments EXACTLY. Thank you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.