Vergil's Downfall impressions

#1 Edited by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

I bought it the day after it dropped. It's a pretty light piece of content, and I thought that I'd be a little frustrated by the price point at the end of the six mission arc before I realized this is part of DMC game, so replay is where it's at.

I found myself getting initially frustrated with the gameplay since Vergil starts with virtually none of his abilities. It makes sense, and you gain them relatively quick over the course of the DLC, but it was a little annoying to start off with. His abilities do mesh well though and he plays pretty differently from Dante.

The artstyle of the cutscenes is a little weird. I can understand that adding in mocap and rendered cutscenes would have bumped up the price but I didn't really expect the hand drawn business.

If you're itching for more DmC, this is a pretty decent fix. I feel like the QL is going to be a little on the tepid side, which while fair, you should try to not let the tone affect your opinion.

#2 Posted by Dixego (386 posts) -

I haven't finished the DLC yet (Goddamn nega-Vergil and his teleport moves) but I agree on the "light" aspect of the experience. I'll have to do the rest of the content to know if it's really worth replaying on harder difficulties.

#3 Posted by GunstarRed (5294 posts) -

I started it earlier. I got through three missions and I thought it was fun. The angel dash move Vergil does nothing but emphasise the games camera problems when it gets really hectic though. I quite like the comic book cutscenes and the levels themselves look just as good as anything in the main game.

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11909 posts) -

@dixego:And by "Rest of the Content" you mean the one mission after that boss fight?

Yeah, I think from a presentational aspect this DLC is pretty weak when compared to some of the crazier environs of the main game, and also the story is kind of a null point. On the other hand, I think Virgil himself plays differently enough to make it cool and make me ask "Why not just let me play through the entire game as him DMC3 style?". I especially like how easy it is for him to keep himself and enemies in the air constantly. It's a pity that everything surrounding that is... underwhelming.

#5 Edited by Dixego (386 posts) -
#6 Posted by Nephrahim (1154 posts) -

I really found the DLC lacking. I loved DMC but I pretty much hated all of Virgil's moves. By the end I was pretty much mashing and continuing to see the ending.

#7 Edited by Epidehl (305 posts) -

Yeah, this didn't do much for me, and as stupid as it is, kind of soured me more on the game as a whole.

I was super conflicted on DmC, gameplay was fine, but tonally it really put me off. I was hoping that something focusing on Vergil, a character I liked (arguably more than Dante) in both DMC3 and DmC, would make me a bit more receptive to it. This was just kind of... bad. I get that mocap is expensive, but man those animated cutscenes looked pretty awful. Some of Vergil's controls and moves just didn't feel right and I found myself flying off ledges constantly (also partially the fault of what seemed like a lot of "battle on a small island with no barriers"). And again, "tone" issues for lack of a better word. Taking characters I really like and running them through what feels like a 90s-comic-book-angst filter bums me out hard.

#8 Posted by dudeglove (8010 posts) -

People didn't like the animations? Aww.

@dixego said:

I haven't finished the DLC yet (Goddamn nega-Vergil and his teleport moves) but I agree on the "light" aspect of the experience. I'll have to do the rest of the content to know if it's really worth replaying on harder difficulties.

You can parry most of his attacks, including the killer bee (a good way to dodge/counter is do the uppercut launch thing into the air when you hear the telltale noise). When he flies off into the heart the timing on the sword projectiles is kind of exact on Nephilim difficulty, but there are audio cues to pretty much all of his moves. In the second part of the fight when he starts to do more aerial stuff, do the volley of spirit swords things (A + X/ square and x) to get some free hits in. They do more damage than you think. For whatever reason, he's immune to spiral swords (and will actually make them all disappear), so don't waste the DT points on 'em.

#9 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1788 posts) -

@epidehl said:

Yeah, this didn't do much for me, and as stupid as it is, kind of soured me more on the game as a whole.

I was super conflicted on DmC, gameplay was fine, but tonally it really put me off. I was hoping that something focusing on Vergil, a character I liked (arguably more than Dante) in both DMC3 and DmC, would make me a bit more receptive to it. This was just kind of... bad. I get that mocap is expensive, but man those animated cutscenes looked pretty awful. Some of Vergil's controls and moves just didn't feel right and I found myself flying off ledges constantly (also partially the fault of what seemed like a lot of "battle on a small island with no barriers"). And again, "tone" issues for lack of a better word. Taking characters I really like and running them through what feels like a 90s-comic-book-angst filter bums me out hard.

I'm in complete agreeance here. I don't hate the DLC, but I don't think Vergil plays very well. The feeling of his combat is very rigid and mechanical, whereas I thought Dante played incredibly smoothly. And yeah, I'm falling off of cliffs constantly here. I mean, the basic movement controls are the same as Dante's but something feels different. I also don't care much for the presentation. The hand-drawn cutscenes are sort of jarring in comparison to everything else and just come off as cheap, as they do with just about every game that does them. I'm still on the last mission, getting fed up with these fucking harpies.

#10 Posted by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

I hate the combat so much. If you don't teleport around constantly there is no fluidity to the movements. Vergil plants his feet in the ground after every other hit. The basic starting moves lack so much in smoothness and fluidity that it's almost impossible to initiate any sort of combos. It's way to stiff especially after how Vergil is portrayed at the end of DmC. In his fight against Dante he's obviously the faster and more nimble character vs Dante brute forcing his way through that fight. Now when you control him even if are able to move across the battlefield quickly from one enemy to the next with teleports it just doesn't feel good at all.

#11 Edited by Strife777 (1604 posts) -

Like others have mentionned, I felt like Vergil's moves weren't very fluid, he seem a little too stationnary. The story is whatever, but it's DLC so I wasn't expecting anything. The cutscenes were fine, they obviously weren't going to mocap everything. The levels looked pretty cool in my opinion. Other than that, I was kind of just glad I could play as Vergil, I think he looks really cool.

#12 Edited by Sanious (793 posts) -

Once you start unlocking moves I think he is way smoother than Dante and I as much ledges as there are, I haven't had much of a problem with them because I just pull enemies closer to me with the demon summon sword. Only "problem" with him is starting off with him is a bit rough because of the lack of moves and him feeling different then Dante.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.