Weighing purchasing options....

#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15134 posts) -

So...saw tonight while perusing the PSN store that I could digital pre-order DmC. That got my attention and I'm tempted to try it honestly. The other option that caught my attention was PC I've got a Radeon HD 5570 which is a pretty moderate card at this point so could anyone tell me how it stacks up against the recommended Radeon HD 6950? The hierarchy on graphics cards confuses the fuck out of me. Also has anyone here done Day 1 digital pre-order for PSN? Is it a fairly smooth process?

I'm pretty convinced I"m getting it on PS3 if I get it on consoles and digital only sounds like a interesting option because honestly I'd rather the future be all digital at this point. Just wondering if Sony's pre-order shit works well enough to invest in it.

#2 Posted by DarthOrange (3892 posts) -

It works well enough. I did it with Need for Speed. On the day it comes out, after the store updates you download it. If your internet is fast and the game isn't to big it should take around an hour to download. 

#3 Edited by spankingaddict (2736 posts) -

Too bad it's not $55 on psn , that would've gotten me to buy it . I'm just waiting to see the lowest prices until release day . ONLY 4 MORE WEEKS !

I only pre-ordered Sound Shapes from the store . It works fine , though you have to wait until like 6 in the evening of release day to start playing .

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (15134 posts) -

@spankingaddict said:

Too bad it's not $55 on psn , that would've gotten me to buy it . I'm just waiting to see the lowest prices until release day . ONLY 4 MORE WEEKS !

I only pre-ordered Sound Shapes from the store . It works fine , though you have to wait until like 6 in the evening of release day to start playing .

Ah shit... forgot about the store update thing. Hmm... well, fuck that idea then. I'll just pick up a physical copy at work.

#5 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I buy games to collect them, full 60$ Digital only releases is the worst thing I've ever heard. I'd stop buying games.

#6 Edited by StarvingGamer (8552 posts) -

This reminds me, I need to preorder this game from GameStop for the Vergil DLC...

EDIT: I feel really dirty for saying that.

#7 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

@Demoskinos: If you're going to upgrade your PC you might as well buy this game for that platform. This game has some seriously beautiful graphics.

The Radeon HD 6950 is already a bit outdated, and even though it's not bad it'll feel pretty much like your Radeon HD 5570 does now within a year. The most recent generation generation of AMD cards are the Radeon HD 7000 series. The Radeon HD 6990 is still a beast of a card though, and better than some (or even all) 7000 ones.

The most recent generation of nvidia cards is the GTX 600 series.

#8 Posted by Yummylee (22529 posts) -

So apparently the Vergil DLC bonus is also totally available in European regions btw, or it is at least on shopto.net if any fellow Brits are interested. And with that settled, I'm back on board the love train for all things DmC related <3

#9 Posted by Ingannation (7 posts) -

do they even have limited edition?

#10 Posted by Solh0und (1849 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

This reminds me, I need to preorder this game from GameStop for the Vergil DLC...

I better do that soon too....

#11 Posted by Nettacki (1320 posts) -

Fuck the preorder dlc. Just wait until it becomes some cheap addon several months down the line, alongside the game going down in price very quickly.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (15134 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx: Well, eventually that IS the future of games. And while I can get the collecting argument and I would have been solely in that camp with you as late as 2010 I ended up getting a semi-gaming worthy PC last year and then got on steam and I bought Deus EX and Skyrim both day one on PC no box no disc just a bunch of files sitting on a hard drive and then I realized that at least to me that at least for me the convenience outweighed the collecting argument. So now I'm pretty okay with not owning a physical thing anymore. And I think that if done right that also gives the ability of developers to do some crazy shit like THQ giving away Metro 2033 for free. They aren't ever going to do that with physical copies because that's a THING that had to be made that they paid for.

#13 Posted by UtamiJogjaf1 (25 posts) -

i will purchase it undoubtfully.9 days

#14 Posted by ESREVER (2698 posts) -

Fuck yea DmC! So stoked... can't wait to tear into that game and then into Vergil. Ohyeaaaaa

#15 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

I won't be able to play it right away, why are textbooks so expensive.

#16 Posted by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Demoskinos: If you're going to upgrade your PC you might as well buy this game for that platform. This game has some seriously beautiful graphics.

The Radeon HD 6950 is already a bit outdated, and even though it's not bad it'll feel pretty much like your Radeon HD 5570 does now within a year. The most recent generation generation of AMD cards are the Radeon HD 7000 series. The Radeon HD 6990 is still a beast of a card though, and better than some (or even all) 7000 ones.

This is pure misinformation

a 5570 is a $25 facebook games videocard and will in no way play DMC

a 6950 is a high end play everything out there videocard.

the two are in no way comparable.

when comparing videocards, the first number means almost nothing other than how old it is, that second digit is where most of the action is.

#17 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Snail said:

when comparing videocards, the first number means almost nothing other than how old it is, that second digit is where most of the action is.

From experience, that is misinformation. You're just wrong, and I know this for a fact. A friend of mine just had to upgrade in order to play the latest games smoothly. The graphics card wasn't being bottlenecked either, since he has a pretty decent i5 CPU (not sure which model, but no way it bottlenecks a 6950).

So yes, I figure that within a year a Radeon HD 6950 will feel fairly outdated.

#18 Posted by Demoskinos (15134 posts) -
@Snail

@Kidavenger said:

@Snail said:

From experience, that is misinformation. You're just wrong, and I know this for a fact. A friend of mine just had to upgrade in order to play the latest games smoothly. The graphics card wasn't being bottlenecked either, since he has a pretty decent i5 CPU (not sure which model, but no way it bottlenecks a 6950).

Yeah....While I fully understand the 5570 ain't nothing to write home about its still getting me through. I've played Deus Ex:HR , Skyrim, Saints Row 3 all at moderately high settings granted only at like 30fps but still I've been getting by.
#19 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

You still will not be able to download it on ps3 until 8:00 pm on tuesday.

#20 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Yeah....While I fully understand the 5570 ain't nothing to write home about its still getting me through. I've played Deus Ex:HR , Skyrim, Saints Row 3 all at moderately high settings granted only at like 30fps but still I've been getting by.

You listed three games from 2011 though.

If you want to keep playing games on your PC on high settings, you should seriously look into a new graphics card - and if you want it to hold up nicely for more than a year then I'd recommend you get something better than the HD 6950. Of course that isn't all, and you should probably be considering if your CPU, for instance, isn't outdated as well.

#21 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Kidavenger said:

@Snail said:

As a 6850 owner, I find this hard to believe. Unless your friend is always trying to literally max out every game he plays, there is currently not a single game that a 6950 should have trouble running, especially when I've had no trouble running any game with a 6850 (a significantly slower card). I have a friend who is still on a 5870, which is fairly equivalent to a 6950, and he still plays everything just fine.

#22 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

@SlasherMan said:

As a 6850 owner, I find this hard to believe. Unless your friend is always trying to literally max out every game he plays, there is currently not a single game that a 6950 should have trouble running, especially when I've had no trouble running any game with a 6850 (a significantly slower card). I have a friend who is still on a 5870, which is fairly equivalent to a 6950, and he still plays everything just fine.

Going to admit that's possible - not max out, but at least in playing in high/very high settings. In any case, I don't think a Radeon HD 6950 is a wise investment at this point. If he buys one now he'll most likely end up feeling the need to update sooner than he would have if he got an HD 7000 series card. Computer upgrades should be built to last, without having to be upgraded every 2 years. I'm really not sure it would be an economical decision in the long run.

If he is on a budget right now though, I suppose he will be fine for the moment. However, if the next generation of consoles brings a graphical leap with it, an HD 6950 might start to feel old as soon as next year.

#23 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

I'd say don't buy the piece of shit at all, but that's just me.

#24 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

get a 7950 you dufus , or a 7850 if you have to .. for your health

#25 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@Snail said:

@SlasherMan said:

Going to admit that's possible - not max out, but at least in playing in high/very high settings. In any case, I don't think a Radeon HD 6950 is a wise investment at this point. If he buys one now he'll most likely end up feeling the need to update sooner than he would have if he got an HD 7000 series card. Computer upgrades should be built to last, without having to be upgraded every 2 years. I'm really not sure it would be an economical decision in the long run.

If he is on a budget right now though, I suppose he will be fine for the moment. However, if the next generation of consoles brings a graphical leap with it, an HD 6950 might start to feel old as soon as next year.

I wasn't recommending the card for purchase. Obviously, it isn't going to be a wise choice (if they even still sell them) considering the current selection of cards from both AMD and Nvidia at roughly the same prices the 6950 used to be sold at. If I were to buy a card right now, I'd probably prefer to not go lower than a 7850 or a GTX 660 (but then I also wouldn't go much higher, I tend to stick what gives me the most value for the money).

I was merely pointing out that you're perhaps a bit too dismissive of the card's performance is all.

#26 Posted by Raven10 (1922 posts) -

@Demoskinos: It's an extremely low end card. I assume you weren't playing those games at too high of resolutions if you managed to get 30 fps out of them. With that card the game will look no better than the console versions nor will it run faster. A 6950 is a pretty beefy card. It's not top of the line, but it's two tiers below that. A comparable card for Nvidia would be the 570 or 560 ti. Basically a $250 card compared to your $25 card. This is an Unreal Engine 3 game so unless they are really pushing DX11 stuff even something like a 5850 or 470 should do the trick. But not a 5570.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (15134 posts) -

@Snail: Oh I know. I'm def starting to feel the squeeze. At this point though I'm wondering if it wouldn't just be a okay Idea to just build a entirely new rig.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (15134 posts) -

@Raven10 said:

@Demoskinos: It's an extremely low end card. I assume you weren't playing those games at too high of resolutions if you managed to get 30 fps out of them. With that card the game will look no better than the console versions nor will it run faster. A 6950 is a pretty beefy card. It's not top of the line, but it's two tiers below that. A comparable card for Nvidia would be the 570 or 560 ti. Basically a $250 card compared to your $25 card. This is an Unreal Engine 3 game so unless they are really pushing DX11 stuff even something like a 5850 or 470 should do the trick. But not a 5570.

Still don't know why you're calling it a $25 card. Newegg still has it at $60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006519&isNodeId=1&Description=radeon+hd+5570

#29 Posted by Raven10 (1922 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Raven10 said:

Still don't know why you're calling it a $25 card. Newegg still has it at $60

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006519&isNodeId=1&Description=radeon+hd+5570

That's a specialty low profile version. Search for the 5670, a step up from yours. That card costs $50 so yours probably costs around $25.

#30 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -

I think there is going to be a bit of a delay but I'm checking this out on PC. It'll get 60 fps on my computer which will be nice for an action game and all. If you can upgrade and you have enough interest in PC gaming you should do so, I think.

#31 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

@kerse said:

I won't be able to play it right away, why are textbooks so expensive.

Same boat dude. I had to cancel this pre-order and Anarchy Reigns because I needed the cash for school, didn't expect this semester to be more expensive than the first. The only for sure game I didn't cancel was Ni No Kuni but that's because Amazon Canada had it listed for $45.99 when they first put it up, they mess up on a lot of prices when they first put them up, and I pre-ordered that thing so fast I got the price.

#32 Posted by xSeanZx (221 posts) -

Fuck ATI, my Nvidia GTX 580 is still rocking shit hard on high settings.

#33 Posted by Xtrminatr (263 posts) -

If you decide to get it on PC greenmangaming.com has the steam version for $37.50 with the coupon code GMG25-XTYYZ-POSL1

#34 Posted by Vitor (2832 posts) -

Oh, I think even OP's GPU might be OK with this game judging by these benchmarks: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508303

#35 Posted by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -

@Xtrminatr: Hey, thanks!

#36 Posted by Demoskinos (15134 posts) -

@Vitor said:

Oh, I think even OP's GPU might be OK with this game judging by these benchmarks: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508303

So I've been hearing. It was extremely off putting on the PC version seeing them "recommend" a rather high end card. I wanna see how this runs now. Might have to pick it up when it goes on sale on steam for extremely cheap.

#37 Edited by Quarters (1859 posts) -

I will warn you ahead of time, the PS3 version is kind of rough. Played the first level, and was taken aback by the low framerate in cutscenes. However, in gameplay, it seemed better. In comparison, the 360 version was locked at a pretty solid 30 FPS(I switched out my PS3 version for it because of this, was extremely glad for my decision). If you think you're good with it, go for it, but if your PC can run it well, go for that.

On a side note, the game's awesome. Beat it yesterday morning, and it's easily one of the best, if not the best, games in the series.

#38 Posted by Nettacki (1320 posts) -

If I'm getting this game, it's probably gonna be for PC, and likely during a big $5-6 sale similar to how I ended up getting DMC4 for PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.